The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PDN Article: Medium Format's Future (cleared with PDN)

ggriswold

I just got off the phone with Dan Havlik and he has granted me permission to post the article from PDN online. He asked that I include the link to the article:
http://www.pdnonline.com/pdn/features/The-64000-Medium-F-1385.shtml

If you don't subscribe to PDN you may want to check it out... good professional coverage. The gateway to PDNonline is:
http://www.pdnonline.com/pdn/index.shtml

Here is the article:

"The $64,000 Medium Format Question
Dan Havlik
PDN

If you’ve gone shopping for a medium-format digital camera system recently, you’ve probably noticed two things: 1) some high-end models still cost more than luxury cars; 2) more “entry-level” cameras are being offered at surprisingly affordable prices.

So what’s with the schizophrenic pricing? And, more importantly for photographers on a budget, why do top-of-the-line medium-format systems cost so much in the first place?

Last we checked, a fully loaded Phase One 645DF with a 60.5-megapixel P65+ digital back and a lens cost in the neighborhood of $55,000. Meanwhile, other medium-format manufacturers have caught limited edition fever, with cameras such as Hasselblad’s exclusive 499-unit Ferrari edition of its H4D camera retailing for $28,400+.

On the other hand, Hasselblad will begin selling its own entry-level medium-format system: the $9,995 31MP H4D-31. That is not a lot more expensive than a high-end digital SLR. The same goes for Pentax which, at the time of this writing, is slated to start selling the 40MP 645D for $9,995, as well.

With such a wide range in pricing and resolutions—from the heart-stoppingly high to the merely high—we wanted to know what it takes to produce these medium-format systems. So we decided to ask the manufacturers. We also talked to a few photographers to find out why they think the prices are worth it. Here’s what they told us.

EXTRA SENSITIVE
Getting manufacturers to discuss pricing is not an easy thing. In fact, Hasselblad turned us down flat when we asked for an interview for this story, saying the information was “confidential.”

Other manufacturers were more candid, citing, in part, economies of scale as being a factor in the high pricing for medium-format systems. While we were unable to get hard numbers from any manufacturer on how many medium-format units they sell in a year, in general, it pales in comparison to sales of DSLR and compact cameras. According to several estimates we heard, somewhere between 6,000 and 10,000 medium format units are sold in a year worldwide. That’s a drop in the bucket when you consider the entire digital camera market moves about 60 million units in a year.

“In 2010, we shipped the highest number of units we ever shipped,” says Henrik Håkonsson, president and CEO of Phase One, a company that now comprises Phase One and Leaf Imaging, and is a major shareholder in Mamiya Digital Imaging. “Compared to Canon and Nikon, of course, it’s a very small number. Canon will sell more 5D Mark IIs in a week then we’ll sell in a year.”

The smaller number of camera shipments means prices must be set higher to cover costs. And the highest cost, undoubtedly, is for the jumbo-sized image sensors that go into medium-format camera systems. Compared to full-frame digital SLRs such as the Canon 1Ds Mark III and Nikon D3x which use sensors about the size of a piece of 35mm film, medium-format cameras have sensors that range in size from the 48 x 36mm Kodak-built chips found in many systems to the 53.9 x 40.4mm Dalsa sensor in the P 65+ digital back.

“It’s the most expensive part in a medium-format camera,” says Stephan Schulz, product manager for Leica’s 37.5MP S2 digital camera system, which is a medium-format/DSLR hybrid that uses a 45 x 30mm, Kodak-built sensor. “With its [large] size, it’s hard to get good yield from it because every time you double the size of sensor, the yield for production goes down.”

Schulz adds that the more pixels you put on a sensor the more possibility you have for a defect, and that makes quality control expensive. Leica’s S2 also has a special glass infrared (IR) blocking filter built right into the sensor which increases the cost. “To mount this special glass right on the sensor is more expensive. All other medium-format cameras have two separate pieces.”

Though the limited supply of medium-format sensors increases the expense, Håkonsson sees it as an opportunity to increase image quality.
“It’s a nasty fact of life and physics: When it comes to CCD sensors, the bigger the size, the lower the yield you get. The result is we never have two sensors that are identical so we spend a lot of time hand calibrating each one to get the performance we want,” he says. “We basically never ship new products. Every camera that leaves the factory has been through many shooting situations first.”

Håkonsson contrasts the approach with Canon and Nikon, which, he claims, “spit out CMOS sensors in a robot process and every single unit is put into a camera.”

CUTTING COSTS
The cost for that hands-on attention to detail is high. You could buy five 24.5MP Nikon D3x DSLR bodies for the cost of one P 65+ digital back and still have money left over. While many professionals dream of owning a medium-format system, the start-up expenditures can be out of reach.

“Unfortunately, nothing out there fit my budget,” says Frederic Wiggins, a Virginia-based photographer who had been looking for an affordable medium-format solution. “The Hasselblads I came across in the local stores, on eBay, KEH, B&H etc. were all too expensive as were the Mamiyas. So I did what anyone else in my situation would do: I looked to rent.”

Wiggins took a four-hour road trip to a rental house in Philadelphia where he found the cheapest price out there for a week-long lease of a 31MP Hasselblad H3D-31.

“In that week I managed to cram in three commercial clients,” he says. “The photos I took during that week have allowed me to obtain more work this year than ever before.”

He admits though that owning a medium-format digital system is still beyond his budget. “The cheapest systems still cost $10,000 which is more than I paid for my first two cars and my current car combined. Leasing is an alternative but, unfortunately, at this point in my career, though my business is doing better than ever, I’m still not drawing enough each month to justify the need vs. the desire.”

It’s a dilemma that manufacturers are starting to recognize. Both the sub-$10,000 Hasselblad H4D-31 and Pentax 645D have turned a lot of heads as much for their relatively low price tags as for their potential image quality. The 22MP Mamiya DM22, which came out a few years ago, can be found for around $9,000.

How are manufacturers able to offer lower cost models side-by-side with flagship cameras that might force you to take out a second mortgage? The answer: cost-cutting and retrofitting.

“With the decision to narrow down the target customer, the Pentax 645D is designed specifically for scenic photography for which expensive parts like AA (anti-aliasing) filters are not really necessary,” says Chris Pound, product manger for Pentax Imaging Systems. “In other words, we could successfully design this camera to be convincing for those who would consider it even without an AA filter.”

Pound notes that approximately 10 percent of the mechanical parts of the 645D are the same as those used for Pentax’s film 645 cameras. Also, since the 645D is compatible with most existing interchangeable 645 legacy lenses and accessories, Pentax didn’t need to build a whole system from the ground up.

“This was a significant savings as we did not have to develop these items all from scratch, meaning we do not have to add to cost of [development] to the body.”

BIG SENSORS, SMALL COMPANIES
The medium-format manufacturers we spoke with all argue that the relatively small sizes of their companies allow them to offer better customer service than their DSLR counterparts.

Leica’s Schulz touts the company’s “24-hour swap service” for photographers if an S2 is malfunctioning. Håkonsson says Phase One also has a 24/7 call service for customers and that every camera the company sells has its own file which technical support agents can refer to in case of a problem.

“We can look into the data and say, ‘Adjust this or adjust that’ on your camera. If that’s not sufficient, there’s a service where we’ll offer a loan program within 24 hours. If it’s New York, it’s within two hours.”

Though purchasing a medium-format digital system is a significant investment—and one not made lightly in a turbulent economy—at least one photographer told us he thinks it’s worth it.

“When I made the switch to medium format, cost was an issue for sure,” says Jeffrey Totaro, an architectural photographer who shoots with a Phase One P45+ back on Alpha view cameras. “But I knew I wanted to continue using a camera system that provided me with proper in-camera perspective controls, coming from a background of shooting 4 x 5 film. I think if photographers are charging appropriately for their digital post-production work, then fitting a medium-format digital system into their work shouldn’t be a problem.”

Terry

Excellent thank you for going back and getting permission. I was working on how to handle the copyright issues!

David Schneider

“With the decision to narrow down the target customer, the Pentax 645D is designed specifically for scenic photography for which expensive parts like AA (anti-aliasing) filters are not really necessary,” says Chris Pound, product manger for Pentax Imaging Systems. “In other words, we could successfully design this camera to be convincing for those who would consider it even without an AA filter.”
Which mfd cameras have an AA filter?

Leigh

so throw a number out there...what does a sensor actually cost, $2k, $5k?
The whole problem is yield. This is universal in the semiconductor industry, not limited to sensors or photographic applications in any way.

Semiconductors (including sensors) are made on large silicon wafers, some 12" or more in diameter. Once fabrication is complete, the wafers are sliced to obtain the individual devices. These must then be mounted in frames with wire leads so they can be tested.

Defects are randomly distributed over the surface, and are normally counted in number per unit area (square cm or mm).

When you double the size of a sensor, you QUADRUPLE the area, thus quadrupling the chance that a particular device will have a defect that renders it unusable.

If the devices are used by the millions in consumer products, this error rate just gets rolled into the cost of manufacture and becomes a non-issue.

But when you're only selling a few hundred of a particular device per year, the cost of rejects becomes significant.

Couple this with the fact that MF and larger sensors are typically used by professionals who would not tolerate a few defective pixels, as would a consumer, and you have a much higher acceptance standard, thus lowering the yield even further.

- Leigh

Last edited:

Leigh

clearly there are many factors, but there must still be a price per sensor
Why?

Is there A price for ground beef? Of course not. There's a huge range of prices.

Sensors are not like hamburgers. You can't get just one. They're purchased on contract, with many factors determining the final unit price.

If you want a specific price for a single unit, contact one of the companies that manufactures them.

And the unit cost of the device from the manufacturer is nowhere near the actual cost to the company that makes the cameras.

- Leigh

jlm

Workshop Member
non-responsive response.

of course there is a price paid per sensor, of course it will vary; it would be interesting to have an idea of price; not asking for a financial analysis

Oren Grad

Those who've been around for a while may remember this post on LuLa...

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/dalsa.shtml

...which includes the following passage, referring to the 22MP DALSA sensor used in the ZD:

Now comes some speculation on my part. A couple of years ago I was told by an industry insider that 645 format 16 megapixel chips cost back makers about $5,000 a piece, in quantity. Given inevitable price reductions, but offset by an increase from 16MP to 22MP, it's my guess that Mamiya is likely paying DALSA something like $3,000 a chip. This is mentioned just to give you a feel for what such large imaging chips cost, as compared to those in prosumer DSLRs, and goes a long way toward explain why such backs and cameras cost as much as they do.

R

Ronan

We sold our H2D system when we got the D3x... couldn't explain the cost of it vs quality (funny thing is my colleague is back with a hassy system for 'fun' with a film back... haha).

Now mind you it was a 22MP back.

When i visited a couple photographers in NYC, they were packing big backs... stuff in the 30's 40's and even 50 (or was it 60?). But yes... very expensive... one of those system is more expensive than my little Porsche... ouch.

arashm

The article states that the H4D-31 is priced at $9,999.95
I thought it was more?
where does it sell for this price?
Thank you

bensonga

I thought it was more?
Thank you
I'd like to know that too. When I read that price I was stunned. I immediately went to the Hasselbladusa.com site and it's listed at $13,995.

$9,995 would be a real bargain......I hope it's true! Maybe they will drop the price of a CFV-39 soon too. :)

Gary

fotografz

I thought it was more?
Thank you
That's an error on their part ... it is 9,995 Euros ($13Kish).

Hassey was selling new H3D-II/31 stock for $9,995. for a time.

This doesn't take into account bargaining with a dealer.

-Marc

ggriswold

Another way to look at sensor cost vs. product cost....
Let's take the cost of sensor vs. the cost of a working production back and apply an automotive analogy. If I gave you an engine from a Porsche Carrera 4S Cabriolet (new and in the crate) how much would it cost to design and build a world class sports car (has to go 185 MPH)? List on the 4S is $108,000. How many will you sell next year?
If I gave you a Toyota Camry engine how much would it cost to design and build that car? All it has to do is get a family to school, grocery store and make a turn on a side street at 25 MPH. You would sell many multiples more and the lower design/ build costs would be spread over that many units.
Now with MFD backs, take Phase One for instance. What are the design challenges of processing all the data from 40 Million photosites in a P40+? Then you have to make it small, dependable and energy efficient. Tough stuff and a very limited pool of customers.
Since most of these sensors are available on the open market if this were easier and/ or more profitable we would have 5 to 10 companies making MF digital products. Over the next few years more may come into the game like Pentax and Leica have... that should make for better pricing, but I wouldn't think for the high end of this market. If Nikon or Canon jump in it's going to be tough for the existing players... seems unlikely.

fotografz

Another way to look at sensor cost vs. product cost....
Let's take the cost of sensor vs. the cost of a working production back and apply an automotive analogy. If I gave you an engine from a Porsche Carrera 4S Cabriolet (new and in the crate) how much would it cost to design and build a world class sports car (has to go 185 MPH)? List on the 4S is $108,000. How many will you sell next year?
If I gave you a Toyota Camry engine how much would it cost to design and build that car? All it has to do is get a family to school, grocery store and make a turn on a side street at 25 MPH. You would sell many multiples more and the lower design/ build costs would be spread over that many units.
Now with MFD backs, take Phase One for instance. What are the design challenges of processing all the data from 40 Million photosites in a P40+? Then you have to make it small, dependable and energy efficient. Tough stuff and a very limited pool of customers.
Since most of these sensors are available on the open market if this were easier and/ or more profitable we would have 5 to 10 companies making MF digital products. Over the next few years more may come into the game like Pentax and Leica have... that should make for better pricing, but I wouldn't think for the high end of this market. If Nikon or Canon jump in it's going to be tough for the existing players... seems unlikely.
The other additional aspect to this is shelf life. The back makers spread out costs over say a 2 or 3 year period to recapture R&D cost for that back and the ones in development ... then can reduce the price for a time, while utilizing the same sensor and related technology on a newer body (like the H4D/31).

However, as soon as newer sensor technology and the related complex technology go on line, the re-cover scenario starts all over again.

Even at the staggering price this stuff costs ... the variety and volume of units sold makes it hard to believe any of them can stay in business.

-Marc

Audii-Dudii

I used to work in the high-end audio industry and the rule of thumb there was that parts cost for a product was typically 20% of the retail price. FWIW, I suspect the medium-format digital back market is similar in this respect.

Dustbak

The whole discussion about what the cost of components is I find ridiculous. It seems it is always brought up by people that cannot afford something and feel they need a justification to claim price reductions are in order. Or believe they are being ripped off in some way or think there is a conspirancy to keep prices above justifiable levels.

I have never asked a chef in a good restaurant about the costs of his ingredients? Or asked a bookstore about the cost of paper and ink,etc.. have any of you?

The notion a lot of people are involved and putting their time and brainwork in and not for philantropic purposes but to be able to make a living seems to be something many forget. Next time I speak to any Hasselblad employee I will also ask what they are making and if they might be willing to cut down so I can get my equipment a bit cheaper. Maybe we could propose to lay off some personnel and see if that makes any difference? I have heard that the building in Denmark is quite nice, I bet they could move to some shed too.

Maybe this is why so many photographers get it served right back. The cost of photography is no more than a decent DSLR isn't it? This world is more and more becoming a place where you are expected to work for free and if you are lucky you might be allowed to charge the costs of your raw materials. Everybody expects the lowest prices and everybody expects to make a decent living. Something has got to give in this scenario. You cannot have it both ways.

Someone else said it before, if it would be that easy to make this kind of stuff there would have been others already offering for lower prices.

Maybe Hasselblad/P1/Leaf & Sinar should offer the ability to buy a sensor from them and let you try to built your own?...

jlm

Workshop Member
The issues in the article have to do with the large range in pricing among the digital backs, from $10k for a H4-31 to $30k for a H4-60. That is a large differential, and the claim is that most of it is due to the extra difficulty in making the higher meg sensor (and of course the firmware, development, etc. to go with it.
So if you are not interested in the cost of components, this thread is not for you; if one is interested in this thread, it is fine to ask questions