The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Some of My Favorite S2 Shots Yet

AnthonyFlores

Hi Guys,

As an imminent S2 owner ... I've been following a lot of the issues, including cameras locking up for Marc, focus issues, etc -- in addition to all the positive experiences.

But one of the things that kind of bothered me a tad is that I've wanted to see more shots from it that I was super impressed by, just like I've seen with the M9. (Though there are some REALLY great ones in the "S Is for Show Us Your S2 Shots" Thread on this forum) ...

Anyway, today I was browsing the Leica blog and I saw this:

http://blog.leica-camera.com/interview/a-portrait-of-german-photographer-thomas-schweigert/

Maybe not everyone's cup of tea -- but I really love how everything comes together ... simplicity, incredible detail, beauty, revealing, emotional, artistic ... IMHO some of the nicest people images I've seen with the S2 yet.

Again, I know photography is often subjective. Just thought I'd share it with those looking for more nice S images ...

Anthony

AnthonyFlores

Totally know what you mean ... wasn't saying it was because he was using the S2 -- just happy to see the camera being a viable instrument for work/art that I found stunning -- the type of images I would love to someday create myself. (no matter what camera I have :p)

fotografz

Totally know what you mean ... wasn't saying it was because he was using the S2 -- just happy to see the camera being a viable instrument for work/art that I found stunning -- the type of images I would love to someday create myself. (no matter what camera I have :p)
Personally, I think your notions are valid. It's important to know that you wouldn't be fighting with a camera to shoot what you want ... one that it is capable of producing the look and feel you desire.

I would say if those type shots are your goal, pay attention to what he says about connecting with the subject ... and as far as equipment is concerned, his use of a single $7,000. Broncolor Parabolic umbrella (not counting $4 to $7K for the generator/light itself), is a key element to that look, if not THE key element ... no matter what camera would be used.

-Marc

rem

I like so much the portraits from Manuel Pandalis. www.manuelpandalis.de. when you scroll a bit down, then comes the series "pure". S2 shots with daylight only. I saw the big prints in Köln. Very impressiv and a very cheap light!;-) rem

fotografz

I like so much the portraits from Manuel Pandalis. www.manuelpandalis.de. when you scroll a bit down, then comes the series "pure". S2 shots with daylight only. I saw the big prints in Köln. Very impressiv and a very cheap light!;-) rem
Those are very nice ( I saw some of them in the Leica magazine) ... but they are NOT the same look and feel that the OP expressed an interest in.

Paratom

I agree great images but one thing I dont get: the look of the eyes of most of those portraits looks very much alike and have an nearly unnatural glow.
I wonder how much this has been produced by post processing?
I think those images look like the show (very pretty) creatures from a different planet. On one side beautiful but emotinally the look of the eyes is very cold and distanced.

Paratom

One other comment:
I know that many people think Macro lenses are not so great for portraits since the are sometimes too sharp, show clinically every detail.
Now the S2 lenses seem also to produce supersharp images. But do they produce a pleasing look for portrait stuff? What do you think? Most images posted on the web seem to want to prove the extraordinary sharpness and contrast of the lenses.
On the other side you can allways soften an image in post but you can produce detail which has not ben there.

Now which is the "better" poerait lens? the Leica 70/120 or 180 vs lets say the Zeiss 110/2.0.
Do you expect Leica to come out with a lens more focused on portrait and character and not so much on sharpness and contrast?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
One other comment:
I know that many people think Macro lenses are not so great for portraits since the are sometimes too sharp, show clinically every detail.
Now the S2 lenses seem also to produce supersharp images. But do they produce a pleasing look for portrait stuff? What do you think? Most images posted on the web seem to want to prove the extraordinary sharpness and contrast of the lenses.
On the other side you can allways soften an image in post but you can produce detail which has not ben there.

Now which is the "better" poerait lens? the Leica 70/120 or 180 vs lets say the Zeiss 110/2.0.
Do you expect Leica to come out with a lens more focused on portrait and character and not so much on sharpness and contrast?
Although I know how good Leica lenses are, especially the S120 for portraits, I think nothing can top currently the Hasselblad HC100 2.2. For me the absolutely top portrait lens.

PeterA

The HC100 is nice as is the 110/2 in F or FE guise...the 80 planar has its own 'look' which many favour as well..all these are available to use I suppose via adaptor on the S2. I think I read somewhere that Rollie mount lenses can be used via a special adaptor which includes tilt and shift - something I woudl like to have on an S2 as well - should deliver some interesting LF type effect capability on S2 - ala HTS on Hasselblad - without the crop factor..

BJNY

... and as far as equipment is concerned, his use of a single $7,000. Broncolor Parabolic umbrella (not counting $4 to $7K for the generator/light itself), is a key element to that look, if not THE key element ... no matter what camera would be used.

-Marc
I use the Para umbrellas every now and then,
but have never gotten the "fresnel" look in so many of the photos.

robmac

Nice video, nice shots, but forget the S2, I want the Briese para(s) he's using... Ok, in lieu of them, I'll settle for the Brons.. ;>

rem

Yes I now Marc! It was just a idea...;-). tstreng, i had several mail contact with manuel about the eyes and he told me he have made no retouching, only some contrast corrections... As a portrait lens I ordered the 120mmII HC. I think its very versatile, but I would also like the 2.2 from the 100mm... Do you know Marco Grob? He makes nearly "all" portraits with the HC120mm. rem

AnthonyFlores

Personally, I think your notions are valid. It's important to know that you wouldn't be fighting with a camera to shoot what you want ... one that it is capable of producing the look and feel you desire.

I would say if those type shots are your goal, pay attention to what he says about connecting with the subject ... and as far as equipment is concerned, his use of a single $7,000. Broncolor Parabolic umbrella (not counting $4 to $7K for the generator/light itself), is a key element to that look, if not THE key element ... no matter what camera would be used.

-Marc
Thanks Marc ... I didn't realize he was using such a high-end light -- what's funny is that on the video he makes it sound like he's being such a simple minimalist with just one light. LOL.

I was planning on getting a Profoto D1-1000 kit, which comes with smaller umbrellas, however I might need to rethink that now. It's a great kit that a lot of pros use, but I'm going to do a little more research ...

Anthony

AnthonyFlores

Although I know how good Leica lenses are, especially the S120 for portraits, I think nothing can top currently the Hasselblad HC100 2.2. For me the absolutely top portrait lens.
Does anyone know which lens(s) Thomas used for the shoot I referenced in the OP?

I would assume it's the Summarit 120 Macro and there's a lot of facial detail, however, I also know that the 70mm focuses fairly close and is used a lot in fashion.

Thanks everyone for the responses!

Anthony

kipling

Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
... and as far as equipment is concerned, his use of a single $7,000. Broncolor Parabolic umbrella (not counting $4 to $7K for the generator/light itself), is a key element to that look, if not THE key element ... no matter what camera would be used.

-Marc
I use the Para umbrellas every now and then,
but have never gotten the "fresnel" look in so many of the photos.
He's not using a bron para, he's using a Briese Focus.
The flash head can be moved inward and outward creating a broad "unfocused" light or a "focused" or hard light with the light falling off about 2 stops out towards the edges – it's a very, very crisp light and it's definely the key factor in creating that look, not the camera.

Thomas works in Berlin, Hamburg, etc. so it's no big deal, he most likely just rents the light (less than €200,- a day incl. generator) when he needs it.

VICTOR BT

"in" to see hows the leica S2 doing!
very nice photographs indeed, but i also think the "look" there is more about lighting rather than camera. then the file tune and the camera too of course.

marc, this is not Para, it is Briese, from a glance look of the video, looks like 140 version (one of my favorite lights too). and the "look" in some portraits is more or less expected too from 140 (especially in spot position).

as for fresnel vs briese (or para which im less familiar)...
they are not the same. briese can give a very strong and selective light when in "spot" position, but it still has big and strong light transition and fill-in, thats what makes it so amazing. fresnels are more sun-like, both in texture and in shadow and hilight looks. Briese 44cm is the closest to the fresnel if u take it far enough from the subject.

here are a few examples, all with fresnel (big arris outdoors, and small dedolights indoors).
http://web.mac.com/victorbt/iWeb/photoblog/PhotoBlog p8.html

also, here is a little overview of some small lights, fresnel from arri/dedo/briese(44):
http://web.mac.com/victorbt/iWeb/photoblog/PhotoBlog p6.html

kipling

Does anyone know which lens(s) Thomas used for the shoot I referenced in the OP?

I would assume it's the Summarit 120 Macro and there's a lot of facial detail, however, I also know that the 70mm focuses fairly close and is used a lot in fashion.

Thanks everyone for the responses!

Anthony
he's using the 70mm, f2.8, ISO 160.
you can read the camera info on the screen in the sequence showing the tethered screen with the blonde girl.