Site Sponsors

Thread: Some of My Favorite S2 Shots Yet

Post Thanks / Like

Some of My Favorite S2 Shots Yet

Hi Guys,

As an imminent S2 owner ... I've been following a lot of the issues, including cameras locking up for Marc, focus issues, etc -- in addition to all the positive experiences.

But one of the things that kind of bothered me a tad is that I've wanted to see more shots from it that I was super impressed by, just like I've seen with the M9. (Though there are some REALLY great ones in the "S Is for Show Us Your S2 Shots" Thread on this forum) ...

Anyway, today I was browsing the Leica blog and I saw this:

http://blog.leica-camera.com/intervi...as-schweigert/

Maybe not everyone's cup of tea -- but I really love how everything comes together ... simplicity, incredible detail, beauty, revealing, emotional, artistic ... IMHO some of the nicest people images I've seen with the S2 yet.

Again, I know photography is often subjective. Just thought I'd share it with those looking for more nice S images ...

Anthony

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Some of My Favorite S2 Shots Yet

Those great Thomas shots have nothing to do with his S2 or H4d or M9 or ..., imho.

Post Thanks / Like

Totally know what you mean ... wasn't saying it was because he was using the S2 -- just happy to see the camera being a viable instrument for work/art that I found stunning -- the type of images I would love to someday create myself. (no matter what camera I have :-P)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyFlores View Post
    Totally know what you mean ... wasn't saying it was because he was using the S2 -- just happy to see the camera being a viable instrument for work/art that I found stunning -- the type of images I would love to someday create myself. (no matter what camera I have :-P)
    Personally, I think your notions are valid. It's important to know that you wouldn't be fighting with a camera to shoot what you want ... one that it is capable of producing the look and feel you desire.

I would say if those type shots are your goal, pay attention to what he says about connecting with the subject ... and as far as equipment is concerned, his use of a single $7,000. Broncolor Parabolic umbrella (not counting $4 to $7K for the generator/light itself), is a key element to that look, if not THE key element ... no matter what camera would be used.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

I like so much the portraits from Manuel Pandalis. www.manuelpandalis.de. when you scroll a bit down, then comes the series "pure". S2 shots with daylight only. I saw the big prints in Köln. Very impressiv and a very cheap light!;-) rem

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rem View Post
    I like so much the portraits from Manuel Pandalis. www.manuelpandalis.de. when you scroll a bit down, then comes the series "pure". S2 shots with daylight only. I saw the big prints in Köln. Very impressiv and a very cheap light!;-) rem
    Those are very nice ( I saw some of them in the Leica magazine) ... but they are NOT the same look and feel that the OP expressed an interest in.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I agree great images but one thing I dont get: the look of the eyes of most of those portraits looks very much alike and have an nearly unnatural glow.
    I wonder how much this has been produced by post processing?
    I think those images look like the show (very pretty) creatures from a different planet. On one side beautiful but emotinally the look of the eyes is very cold and distanced.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

One other comment:
    I know that many people think Macro lenses are not so great for portraits since the are sometimes too sharp, show clinically every detail.
    Now the S2 lenses seem also to produce supersharp images. But do they produce a pleasing look for portrait stuff? What do you think? Most images posted on the web seem to want to prove the extraordinary sharpness and contrast of the lenses.
    On the other side you can allways soften an image in post but you can produce detail which has not ben there.

Now which is the "better" poerait lens? the Leica 70/120 or 180 vs lets say the Zeiss 110/2.0.
    Do you expect Leica to come out with a lens more focused on portrait and character and not so much on sharpness and contrast?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    One other comment:
    I know that many people think Macro lenses are not so great for portraits since the are sometimes too sharp, show clinically every detail.
    Now the S2 lenses seem also to produce supersharp images. But do they produce a pleasing look for portrait stuff? What do you think? Most images posted on the web seem to want to prove the extraordinary sharpness and contrast of the lenses.
    On the other side you can allways soften an image in post but you can produce detail which has not ben there.

Now which is the "better" poerait lens? the Leica 70/120 or 180 vs lets say the Zeiss 110/2.0.
    Do you expect Leica to come out with a lens more focused on portrait and character and not so much on sharpness and contrast?
    Although I know how good Leica lenses are, especially the S120 for portraits, I think nothing can top currently the Hasselblad HC100 2.2. For me the absolutely top portrait lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The HC100 is nice as is the 110/2 in F or FE guise...the 80 planar has its own 'look' which many favour as well..all these are available to use I suppose via adaptor on the S2. I think I read somewhere that Rollie mount lenses can be used via a special adaptor which includes tilt and shift - something I woudl like to have on an S2 as well - should deliver some interesting LF type effect capability on S2 - ala HTS on Hasselblad - without the crop factor..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    ... and as far as equipment is concerned, his use of a single $7,000. Broncolor Parabolic umbrella (not counting $4 to $7K for the generator/light itself), is a key element to that look, if not THE key element ... no matter what camera would be used.

-Marc
    I use the Para umbrellas every now and then,
    but have never gotten the "fresnel" look in so many of the photos.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice video, nice shots, but forget the S2, I want the Briese para(s) he's using... Ok, in lieu of them, I'll settle for the Brons.. ;>

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I now Marc! It was just a idea...;-). tstreng, i had several mail contact with manuel about the eyes and he told me he have made no retouching, only some contrast corrections... As a portrait lens I ordered the 120mmII HC. I think its very versatile, but I would also like the 2.2 from the 100mm... Do you know Marco Grob? He makes nearly "all" portraits with the HC120mm. rem

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I think your notions are valid. It's important to know that you wouldn't be fighting with a camera to shoot what you want ... one that it is capable of producing the look and feel you desire.

I would say if those type shots are your goal, pay attention to what he says about connecting with the subject ... and as far as equipment is concerned, his use of a single $7,000. Broncolor Parabolic umbrella (not counting $4 to $7K for the generator/light itself), is a key element to that look, if not THE key element ... no matter what camera would be used.

-Marc
    Thanks Marc ... I didn't realize he was using such a high-end light -- what's funny is that on the video he makes it sound like he's being such a simple minimalist with just one light. LOL.

I was planning on getting a Profoto D1-1000 kit, which comes with smaller umbrellas, however I might need to rethink that now. It's a great kit that a lot of pros use, but I'm going to do a little more research ...

Anthony

Post Thanks / Like

Yes these are nice too. I think Leica has an "S" calendar with these images ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Although I know how good Leica lenses are, especially the S120 for portraits, I think nothing can top currently the Hasselblad HC100 2.2. For me the absolutely top portrait lens.
    Does anyone know which lens(s) Thomas used for the shoot I referenced in the OP?

I would assume it's the Summarit 120 Macro and there's a lot of facial detail, however, I also know that the 70mm focuses fairly close and is used a lot in fashion.

Thanks everyone for the responses!

Anthony

Post Thanks / Like

Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    ... and as far as equipment is concerned, his use of a single $7,000. Broncolor Parabolic umbrella (not counting $4 to $7K for the generator/light itself), is a key element to that look, if not THE key element ... no matter what camera would be used.

-Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by BJNY View Post
    I use the Para umbrellas every now and then,
    but have never gotten the "fresnel" look in so many of the photos.
    He's not using a bron para, he's using a Briese Focus.
    The flash head can be moved inward and outward creating a broad "unfocused" light or a "focused" or hard light with the light falling off about 2 stops out towards the edges – it's a very, very crisp light and it's definely the key factor in creating that look, not the camera.

Thomas works in Berlin, Hamburg, etc. so it's no big deal, he most likely just rents the light (less than €200,- a day incl. generator) when he needs it.

Post Thanks / Like

I use since 30years Elinchrom but now I wait for the new Hensel Expert 500/1000:

http://www.hensel.eu/produkte/kompak...rt-d-1000.html

And I have a Elinchrome deep 150 indirect octa in backorder. After so much Hassy Gear, new Monitor and Housebuilding not more so much money for Bron or so. And I prefer more the compact units. rem

Post Thanks / Like

"in" to see hows the leica S2 doing!
    very nice photographs indeed, but i also think the "look" there is more about lighting rather than camera. then the file tune and the camera too of course.

marc, this is not Para, it is Briese, from a glance look of the video, looks like 140 version (one of my favorite lights too). and the "look" in some portraits is more or less expected too from 140 (especially in spot position).

as for fresnel vs briese (or para which im less familiar)...
    they are not the same. briese can give a very strong and selective light when in "spot" position, but it still has big and strong light transition and fill-in, thats what makes it so amazing. fresnels are more sun-like, both in texture and in shadow and hilight looks. Briese 44cm is the closest to the fresnel if u take it far enough from the subject.

here are a few examples, all with fresnel (big arris outdoors, and small dedolights indoors).
    http://web.mac.com/victorbt/iWeb/pho...Blog%20p8.html

also, here is a little overview of some small lights, fresnel from arri/dedo/briese(44):
    http://web.mac.com/victorbt/iWeb/pho...Blog%20p6.html

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know which lens(s) Thomas used for the shoot I referenced in the OP?

I would assume it's the Summarit 120 Macro and there's a lot of facial detail, however, I also know that the 70mm focuses fairly close and is used a lot in fashion.

Thanks everyone for the responses!

Anthony
    he's using the 70mm, f2.8, ISO 160.
    you can read the camera info on the screen in the sequence showing the tethered screen with the blonde girl.

Post Thanks / Like

here are some more shots from daniel josefsohn and his blessed s2:

http://www.danieljosefsohn.com/frontend/flash.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, not to hijack the thread I started ... but I was researching Briese but had trouble finding it for sale anywhere. I know it's mega-expensive, just curious to see the pricing and who sells it.

Something to consider down the road when I have a little more budget room.

Also, for those with experience ... if one were to match what he's using (or come close) with Profoto or Broncolor gear -- which light model and umbrella would they be?

Thanks

Anthony

Post Thanks / Like

Anthony, why you not send a mail with your questions about price and reseller to Brieselichttechnick.de? They have of course a price-list for stimulation...;-) rem

Post Thanks / Like

antony, nothing comes close to Briese, especially the medium size ones (44-140). i have never been too much interested in big umbrellas, but i think the para/profoto/briese talk in the same way more or less. profoto has 150cm umbrella, which is nice, but not even close to the briese, not in flexibility (the different looks u can give with focusing), and not in fine quality of light... and also not in build quality (which also makes briese a bit more bulky for transport on locations).

profoto beuaity dish - not the same, but can be replaced with 100cm, 77cm for softer look (like white dish), and even 44cm at close distances (for really harder look like silver dish). ok, not exactly the same, but can be an alternative in set, and a matter of taste, but much more beautiful and flexible i think.

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, not to hijack the thread I started ... but I was researching Briese but had trouble finding it for sale anywhere. I know it's mega-expensive, just curious to see the pricing and who sells it.

Also, for those with experience ... if one were to match what he's using (or come close) with Profoto or Broncolor gear -- which light model and umbrella would they be?

Thanks

Anthony
    They are made by Briese Lichttechnik in Hamburg, Germany http://www.briese-studios.de/de/brie...httechnik.html

You can't get the same look from a Bron or Profoto Para.
    You can't focus them in the same way and get that super crisp sun-like-light.
    You can get a Briese Focus to look like a para though by unfocusing the light and using diffusion.
    They are pretty amazing lights...but why buy them? They are not that expensive to rent and they come in several different sizes, to give you the look you need.

Post Thanks / Like

yes, contact briese directly, and they will help with all the information, pricelist, recomendations ideas etc etc...
    i also recommened to try them, because again, they are like no others, by all means.

also should be noted, that each umbrella has accessories, diffusion panels, grey panels (more for HMI, less relevant flash), egg-cretes etc... so beyond focusing, u can keep on modifying the light on and on, and even make it looks like standard soft-boxes :-)))

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks

Anthony
    The Broncolor Para is a virtual copy of the Briese (which is why I thought it was a Para), and like the Briese allows you to focus the light. The Profoto version is also very good, but I believe only allows a few positions to adjust the light focus.

I think Briese stopped making adapters to use Broncolor heads/packs ... Briese packs aren't a favorite compared to Broncolor or Profoto. Kind of finicky.

Broncolor para will give you that look you were referencing but aren't as versatile for other looks ... and you can also rent them.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

There is also B2Pro in US. I THINK they used to be Briese US or some such, had a falling out and now sell essentially Briese clones and in many cases actually Briese units. They also seem to have developed a raft of different reflective surfaces for inside the paras.

http://www.b2pro.com/

Post Thanks / Like

no need for adapters, simply fitted to any generator if ordered so, fully functional etc.

Post Thanks / Like

btw, their generators are actually very good by all aspects (speed, quality, whatever), and easy to get familiar with too within a few minutes, but true, not as versatile as the new ones... and need discharging if flash light reduced (like profoto acute2), and their asymetric power is not flexible like u can get from broncolor verso for example.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kipling View Post
    They are made by Briese Lichttechnik in Hamburg, Germany http://www.briese-studios.de/de/brie...httechnik.html

You can't get the same look from a Bron or Profoto Para.
    You can't focus them in the same way and get that super crisp sun-like-light.
    You can get a Briese Focus to look like a para though by unfocusing the light and using diffusion.
    They are pretty amazing lights...but why buy them? They are not that expensive to rent and they come in several different sizes, to give you the look you need.
    Thanks everyone, I will definitely consider renting when I'm back in LA ... however, I'm currently in the Caribbean and was considering this as a way to do some portraits for a very prestigious official who could probably help me get a lot more work -- maybe even some celebrities at some point.

As I was already planning to get a Profoto kit, I might just adjust that and get a Broncolor kit with the para to get "close" to this lighting ... and then perhaps rent or buy Briese down the line, if I love it and truly need it.

Btw, which "single" light is it that he's using, and what would be comparable models? At some points it looks as though the lighting is continuous -- but at other points he has the remote flash trigger on top of the camera ...

Thanks again -- and I will definitely contact them just so that I have a reference for pricing and future information. Their stuff looks amazing and also like it could be used for cinema work and interviews, which I will definitely need at some point

Anthony

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It can definitely be used for video work. Adam Frish shot the Amy Winehouse Rehab video with the Briese. One of my personal favorite songs... so here's a link.

http://www.adamfrisch.com/musicvideo...ndexmovie.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    It can definitely be used for video work. Adam Frish shot the Amy Winehouse Rehab video with the Briese. One of my personal favorite songs... so here's a link.

http://www.adamfrisch.com/musicvideo...ndexmovie.html
    Thanks David, I actually googled "adam frisch briese" and came across this link:

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=17036

I really do love that they work for both stills and cinema since a big part of what I do will be shooting with the Red Epic down the line.

Post Thanks / Like

The Broncolor Para is a virtual copy of the Briese (which is why I thought it was a Para), and like the Briese allows you to focus the light. The Profoto version is also very good, but I believe only allows a few positions to adjust the light focus.

I think Briese stopped making adapters to use Broncolor heads/packs ... Briese packs aren't a favorite compared to Broncolor or Profoto. Kind of finicky.

Broncolor para will give you that look you were referencing but aren't as versatile for other looks ... and you can also rent them.

-Marc
    The flashheads are completely different and produce a different looking light. The Bron uses a ring flash that is faced into the para, the briese has a very long flash tube that illuminates the para very evenly.
    I've used both and see a distict difference in the light.
    Actually I find the Bron more like the Profoto, which also just uses a flash head that is facing inward. The profoto can also be focused to some extent with different adapters, move the head closer or farther away...but it's nost the same.
    There's actually a difference between all the Briese focus units. You really need to try them and depending on the distance to the subject you better off with one compared to the other. A 180 is very nice for 3/4 to full body portraits, a focus 96 is nice for beauty shots, etc., etc.

Take a look here and you can go through all the different focus models and see the difference.

http://www.brieselichttechnik.de/de/.../focus-44.html

Post Thanks / Like

Okay forgive my ignorance ... but getting a "continuous" bulb (like filmmakers use with the Briese) a horrible thing for stills? I know flash is much more common and probably optimum in some ways, but would be nice if I could kill two birds with one stone.

Sorry, I know this is a photography forum, not filmmaking, just trying to soak up as much info as I can and so far everyone has been an amazing help.

Anthony

Post Thanks / Like

anthony... absolutly no problem using the HMI bulb, it is 2500w and has great output (umbrella itself gives a lot of light for the power of the bulb)... the data is given in Lux if u download PDF under Taglischt.
    i personally prefer to use the HMI lights even for still photography. and i know many photographers who do it, and move to continuous lights.
    one thing u should remember though, for the 2500w+ watt the ballast of briese is heavy and big, and for each light u will need one ballast, and on location (without in-line), for this power u will need a big generator especially if u plan to work with more than one head. so, each photograph can becomes a big and bulky production with no really ability to scale down. for example, if u take broncolor Verso, it can run 3 heads, with 2 asymetric complitly independable distribution, and u can even add a battery dock to the generator, which will allow u to run overall 650w of model light (which is great unlike many other battery generators), and overall, Verso with its battery is about the same bulk and weight as one ballast for 2500-HMI.
    again, no issues for studio work, but if u plan to go out (especially with honda-like generator), the high output HMI is a thing of a true production-scale, assistants etc etc... in case of Spot lights (like Arri compact units or dedolights at about 575w), the things are much more compact and the output of the spot is really strong to make it usable for photography. but of course, this is Spot, not Briese Focus.
    u can also have the Focus umbrella and exchange it between Flash and HMI or even Tungsten, or even use the 650 modeling light of the flash unit, if it suits your filming/video.

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh ... thanks so much Victor. Very helpful stuff! I may PM you about specifics since it's gone pretty far off the original topic. Great shots on your website, btw ... Thanks again

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Darn guys wish you got all that in the lighting forum. Be a great place for all that great data
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

guy, turned to be lighting forum issues indeed,
    actually it makes sense, cause with cameras discussed here, Light instruments and techniques are even more important than ISO or Lens performance, although high iso is great flexibility, and personally, lens performance/character at open to mid aperture is prime issue for me too.
    except maybe Landscape photography in general, some type of docu, and some architcture and alike, almost for all other areas, usually, those high-end cameras are accompanied with lighting touch - whether it is just to add some punch to natural light, or to build a full lighting set. so, i think normally, they should be considered as One of the Main tools.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by VICTOR BT View Post
    guy, turned to be lighting forum issues indeed,
    actually it makes sense, cause with cameras discussed here, Light instruments and techniques are even more important than ISO or Lens performance, although high iso is great flexibility, and personally, lens performance/character at open to mid aperture is prime issue for me too.
    except maybe Landscape photography in general, some type of docu, and some architcture and alike, almost for all other areas, usually, those high-end cameras are accompanied with lighting touch - whether it is just to add some punch to natural light, or to build a full lighting set. so, i think normally, they should be considered as One of the Main tools.
    Totally agree. Beyond available light nothing impacts IQ and ideas more than the use of lighting.

I'm always surprised that more attention isn't paid to lighting when talking about MFD ... which perhaps benefits more than any other type/format of capture.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

yes marc, and add to this the simple fact that medium format, even leica s2, are not really snapshot cameras... doing with MF is a procedure, creative etc, but it is kinda event to do the photograph, mini or big production...

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Guys,

Based on some estimates I got from a third party company that rents
    Briese gear on the East Coast, here's some pricing variations. As everyone
    has said, it's EXTREMELY expensive compared to Broncolor or Profoto ...

I thought I'd post it since it's so hard to find Briese pricing on the web:

Briese Focus 140 Flash Kit

B6 Lamphead $2000
    Flash Tube 2400 w/s - $1,000
    Focus 140 Reflector - $4,000
    Focus Space 140 - $700
    Stand Mount with Lever - $1500
    Diffusers - $1,000
    Travel Boxes - $1,300
    Modeling Lamps - $500
    Yellow Cube 2400 w/s - $8,500
    Miscellaneous Accessories - $500

Total is about $21,000 USD

Briese Focus 180 Bi-Tube Flash Kit

Bi-Tube Lamp head (B12) - $2600
    Flash Bi-Tube 2400 - $2200
    Bi-Tube Focus 180 Reflector - $5400
    Bi-Tube Spacer 180 - $2000
    Stand Mount - $1500
    Adaptor Bi-Tube - $500
    Diffusers - $1000
    Travel Boxes - $1500
    Modeling Lamps - $500
    PowerPack 6400 w/s - $15,000
    Miscellaneous Accessories - $1,000

Total is about $33,200 USD

The prices are based on a $1.30 USD = 1 Euro.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone for the replies, I feel like I learned a lot
    and did some great research we can all keep for future reference.

Anthony
    Last edited by AnthonyFlores; 12th January 2011 at 07:56.

Post Thanks / Like

140 Flash Kit

Total is about $21,000 USD

180 Bi-Tube Flash Kit

Total is about $33,200 USD
    Fits the S2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GMB View Post
    Fits the S2
    LOL

Post Thanks / Like

well, it is a question whether leica S2 is in a league of its own, but briese is defenetly on its own, and not only in price :-)
    anyway, what is one gonna do with 2400w generator, that can hardly take two heads ? planning to lit the whole neighborhood from helicopter ?!

a slightly more encouraging is that if u go for profoto/broncolor, and have to get generator/head/reflector anyway, then u will soon find that they are not exactly cheap, just an example, profoto pro-head is near 2k ? etc... not in the league of briese overall, but not that far away either.

Post Thanks / Like

Yah Victor, you make a lot of sense ...

Also, in terms of the BronColor -- I'm going to post separately about all these lighting questions because after doing some research it seems like it's not that radically different than Briese in pricing.

I mean, for relatively similar size umbrella, powerpack, lights, stand, etc ... I think a competitive Broncolor kit is still going to be at least $15,000 ... so only about 25% less than Briese. Many people on forums make it sound like Briese is more than 2x as expensive as Broncolor.

I'd like to see an exact side-by-side comparison of a kit with current pricing ...

But I will take Guy's cue and start a new thread on the lighting forum. Thx!