Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why visiting your dealer can be a mistake - Alpa STC

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why visiting your dealer can be a mistake - Alpa STC

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    From Websters Dictionary: an enabler is

"one that enables another to achieve an end; especially: one who enables another to persist in self-destructive behavior (as substance abuse) by providing excuses or by making it possible to avoid the consequences of such behavior."

Most of the enablers here engage in the enabled behavior.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by siebel View Post
    WooHooo for you. I honestly believe that the marriage of the IQ series backs with the ALPA STC is the current "all-round" best combo in the tech camera game, so I applaud your decision.
    I agree - the combo is what really interested me as a travel tech package.

BTW, pardon my ignorance, but what is an "enabler"? This is the third time I've been called this and I still haven't a clue what it means.
    "enabler" moniker is a tongue in cheek title that Ken & Don Libby and perhaps a few others have under their username since they lead the rest of us into gear temptation and Dante's money pit. Stephen's definition from Webster fits well too. Consider it a complement

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    I agree - the combo is what really interested me as a travel tech package.

"enabler" moniker is a tongue in cheek title that Ken & Don Libby and perhaps a few others have under their username since they lead the rest of us into gear temptation and Dante's money pit. Stephen's definition from Webster fits well too. Consider it a complement
    Yes, I am both culprit and victim.
    As I have also been taking pictures for a living since I was 16, can I claim to be a "senior" enabler?
    Siebel
    "In the end, it's all about the pictures"
    www.bryansiebel.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As I have also been taking pictures for a living since I was 16, can I claim to be a "senior" enabler?
    that would depend entirely on how old you are now!
    I've been watching this thread with a little anguish too!

Just this guy you know

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

imagine...the IQ180 and the Alpa TC, 45mm, no viewfinder, chimping with live view. how cool is that?

Post Thanks / Like

I am sure that Jack and Guy have been busy since the release of the IQ series of MFDBs and simply have not had the time to annoint you with the exalted senior enabler status. You've earned it.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been traveling in the Southern Hemisphere with my STC for 3 weeks now, and am extremely happy with it. One lightweight camera to walk around with (60mm) or do a 2-way stitch (90mm) when on a tripod, and that larger file is needed. Great huge MF files from a compact package.

The TC is still smaller, but you can't stitch with that. The Max does bigger stitches, but you can't walk around with it easily. The STC is close to perfect compromise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I pick up my STC on Friday and I'm looking forward to it being the perfect compromise for travel/stitching as you mention. The Max has great versatility but when I look at the type of images I've been shooting they've almost entirely been stitched OR rise/fall, and only a couple where I combined the movements.

The extra compactness is the thing that sold me in the end and I ended up trading my Max and going to the smaller combination. I'm sure that I'll miss the extra two dimensional movements at some point but hopefully the extra convenience coupled with it being all I need for 99% of my shooting will make it the ideal compromise you describe. I'll have a good opportunity to test out the convenience next week on the GetDPI winter gig with my P40+, STC & 47/90/150 combination.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

any comments on the choice to stitch by camera shifts vs. panning the camera? (assuming parallax is not an issue if the rotation point is set correctly)

i see the main argument for the STC over the TC is perspective control

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    I pick up my STC on Friday and I'm looking forward to it being the perfect compromise for travel/stitching as you mention. The Max has great versatility but when I look at the type of images I've been shooting they've almost entirely been stitched OR rise/fall, and only a couple where I combined the movements.

The extra compactness is the thing that sold me in the end and I ended up trading my Max and going to the smaller combination. I'm sure that I'll miss the extra two dimensional movements at some point but hopefully the extra convenience coupled with it being all I need for 99% of my shooting will make it the ideal compromise you describe. I'll have a good opportunity to test out the convenience next week on the GetDPI winter gig with my P40+, STC & 47/90/150 combination.
    Awesome so much want to see this in person. I have a friend lending me a Alpa TC with 24mm for the workshop. I have this love affair with the TC but really want to try the STC.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Awesome so much want to see this in person. I have a friend lending me a Alpa TC with 24mm for the workshop. I have this love affair with the TC but really want to try the STC.
    That's it Guy. I'm putting a "Reserved for Guy Mancuso" sign on my couch.
    Between the IQ180 and the STC, you are REALLY heading for the doghouse!

Cheers,
    Siebel
    www.bryansiebel.com

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's it Guy. I'm putting a "Reserved for Guy Mancuso" sign on my couch.
    Between the IQ180 and the STC, you are REALLY heading for the doghouse!

Cheers,
    I think I am heading for going under the doghouse as my dogs will water me daily
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

This is a scary thread. I'm headed to my dealer next week for the Phase One US announcement of the IQ backs. I already have my upgrade on order so perhaps I'll be saved Grahams struggles.

Fortunately Cambo doesn't have a similar gem and I am pretty deep into that platform.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrump View Post
    This is a scary thread. I'm headed to my dealer next week for the Phase One US announcement of the IQ backs. I already have my upgrade on order so perhaps I'll be saved Grahams struggles.

Fortunately Cambo doesn't have a similar gem and I am pretty deep into that platform.

You actually don't really even need to visit your dealer just calling them on the phone or emailing can be a mistake....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You don't actually have to go anywhere near a dealer to get into trouble. Just hanging around this forum can do the job.

I just bought Doc Moore's TC and related stuff and a couple of lenses (35 APO switar and 45 Rodenstock). I can always save money by taking the subway to Fotocare when I buy the 24 or a 28.

One of my favorite cameras ever is the Hasselblad SWC. The TC is really modern version: a 28mm lens produces an equivalent perspective to the 38 Biogen if you assume the sensor is cropped to square; a 35mm does the same if you assume that film is cropped to 3x4. And the external form factor is really similar. Except in my case I'll have an umbilical cord hanging out of the back. I do hope that Hasselblad gets around to providing a better external battery solution.

Once the weather here permits delivery I plan on using it as my carry around camera for daily images for a couple of weeks so I'll be posting images here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Campbell View Post
    You don't actually have to go anywhere near a dealer to get into trouble. Just hanging around this forum can do the job.
    Oh yes, all you need to do is remind yourself of the motto from Dante clearly displayed at the top of every page of this particular forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Oooh ... 24mm ... love to see that in action with the P40+. I just had a VF mask made for 47/28mm lens pair so at some point when Schneider/Alpa start shipping their version I'll be in the market for my super-wide.

Post Thanks / Like

You are all evil...

Can I sue if I have been led astray by this site?

John

Post Thanks / Like

This is one terrorificly pretty camera Jürgen!
    Eduardo

Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Campbell View Post
    I can always save money by taking the subway to Fotocare when I buy the 24 or a 28.
    Or walk if you decide to go for the 32mm!

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    imagine...the IQ180 and the Alpa TC, 45mm, no viewfinder, chimping with live view. how cool is that?
    Agreed! But on a serious note, as light and compact as that rig would be I would really have to prove to myself that I could nail it well enough handheld with an 80MP back and not have to always have it bolted to a tripod.

RE: The Alpa Viewfinder - despite the high price and rather questionable usefulness as a framing device, for me it is one of the features that make the Alpa so damn sexy and cool!

Post Thanks / Like

I regularly shoot handheld with my ALPA STC w/35mm and either my P65+ or Aptus 12. The firm grip and the good ergonomics make this, with practice, a very high strike rate camera at slow speeds. Provided I am not getting bumped or otherwise destabilized, I'll happily handhold at 1/30th. Sure, there is the odd frame that is not pin sharp, but I'd call my strike rate at 80%.
    The usual rules apply - keep your elbows tucked in, shoot on the end of a steady exhallation breath.
    Cheers,
    Siebel
    www.bryansiebel.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well my new TC arrived. This thing is insanely cool.