The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Why visiting your dealer can be a mistake - Alpa STC

goesbang

Awesome so much want to see this in person. I have a friend lending me a Alpa TC with 24mm for the workshop. I have this love affair with the TC but really want to try the STC.
That's it Guy. I'm putting a "Reserved for Guy Mancuso" sign on my couch.
Between the IQ180 and the STC, you are REALLY heading for the doghouse!

Cheers,

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
That's it Guy. I'm putting a "Reserved for Guy Mancuso" sign on my couch.
Between the IQ180 and the STC, you are REALLY heading for the doghouse!

Cheers,
I think I am heading for going under the doghouse as my dogs will water me daily :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

etrump

This is a scary thread. I'm headed to my dealer next week for the Phase One US announcement of the IQ backs. I already have my upgrade on order so perhaps I'll be saved Grahams struggles.

Fortunately Cambo doesn't have a similar gem and I am pretty deep into that platform.

:D

Terry

This is a scary thread. I'm headed to my dealer next week for the Phase One US announcement of the IQ backs. I already have my upgrade on order so perhaps I'll be saved Grahams struggles.

Fortunately Cambo doesn't have a similar gem and I am pretty deep into that platform.

:D
You actually don't really even need to visit your dealer just calling them on the phone or emailing can be a mistake....

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
You don't actually have to go anywhere near a dealer to get into trouble. Just hanging around this forum can do the job.

I just bought Doc Moore's TC and related stuff and a couple of lenses (35 APO switar and 45 Rodenstock). I can always save money by taking the subway to Fotocare when I buy the 24 or a 28.

One of my favorite cameras ever is the Hasselblad SWC. The TC is really modern version: a 28mm lens produces an equivalent perspective to the 38 Biogen if you assume the sensor is cropped to square; a 35mm does the same if you assume that film is cropped to 3x4. And the external form factor is really similar. Except in my case I'll have an umbilical cord hanging out of the back. I do hope that Hasselblad gets around to providing a better external battery solution.

Once the weather here permits delivery I plan on using it as my carry around camera for daily images for a couple of weeks so I'll be posting images here.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
You don't actually have to go anywhere near a dealer to get into trouble. Just hanging around this forum can do the job.
Oh yes, all you need to do is remind yourself of the motto from Dante clearly displayed at the top of every page of this particular forum. :eek:

GrahamWelland

Awesome so much want to see this in person. I have a friend lending me a Alpa TC with 24mm for the workshop. I have this love affair with the TC but really want to try the STC.
Oooh ... 24mm ... love to see that in action with the P40+. I just had a VF mask made for 47/28mm lens pair so at some point when Schneider/Alpa start shipping their version I'll be in the market for my super-wide.

cmb_

imagine...the IQ180 and the Alpa TC, 45mm, no viewfinder, chimping with live view. how cool is that?
Agreed! But on a serious note, as light and compact as that rig would be I would really have to prove to myself that I could nail it well enough handheld with an 80MP back and not have to always have it bolted to a tripod.

RE: The Alpa Viewfinder - despite the high price and rather questionable usefulness as a framing device, for me it is one of the features that make the Alpa so damn sexy and cool! :thumbup: :cool:

goesbang

I regularly shoot handheld with my ALPA STC w/35mm and either my P65+ or Aptus 12. The firm grip and the good ergonomics make this, with practice, a very high strike rate camera at slow speeds. Provided I am not getting bumped or otherwise destabilized, I'll happily handhold at 1/30th. Sure, there is the odd frame that is not pin sharp, but I'd call my strike rate at 80%.
The usual rules apply - keep your elbows tucked in, shoot on the end of a steady exhallation breath.
Cheers,