Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why visiting your dealer can be a mistake - Alpa STC

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Why visiting your dealer can be a mistake - Alpa STC

I visited Optechs Digital today to drop off some gear and while there had the chance to take a look at the Alpa STC in the flesh.

It certainly is the mini-me version of the Max or a beefy TC. With just the ground glass on it and lens it seemed like it weighed no more than a Leica M8/9 with a 35 Summilux on it and just as rock solid in the hand with the wooden grip. Even with a back attached I would expect it to be a great portable solution, certainly a LOT smaller than a Max. It fits in a Think Tank digital accessory bag about the size of the "Speed Changer". The interlocks on the shift mechanism and zero detent clicks seem a bit beefier than those on the Max and so if you want to lock it all down the interlock certainly is a benefit (I could use it on the Max on occasion). It certainly seems to fit the mold of an SWA for horizontal stitching - I.e. Great for panos and landscape work if rise/fall might is not so important for you. (like the SWA you can flip it if you want that)

Now I really need another Alpa technical camera body like I need a hole in the head but I confess that I left with just a little teeny bit of camera lust.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why visiting your dealer can be a mistake - Alpa STC

Come on Graham, you are not trying hard enough. I'm sure you are able to come up with at least ten perfectly reasoned, rational, persuasive arguments why you simply MUST have an STC. How can you go out in public and call yourself a photographer if you haven't yet mastered this essential skill?

Here's some ideas to work with.....

It's the latest and in some ways greatest offering from the best tech cam manufacturer - think of the camera envy you would provoke!

It is soooooooo user friendly.

It's light and compact and will be so easy to take with you everywhere you go. No more "wish I had my camera with me moments"

Your clients/friends/peers will think you're sooo cool because you are one of the first to see the wisdom in owning this camera.

All your Alpa bits will fit on it. How efficient is that?!!!

It's black, so it will match your clothes no matter what colours you wear....

Okay, I'll take my tongue out of my cheek now. It really is a must-have camera. I have made some short notes comparing it with the Horseman SW-DII that I have been using.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22367

I think Alpa really got the size/weight/features/performance spot on with the STC. I've been putting one through it's paces for a couple of weeks now, firstly in Swiss alpine winter conditions and now in the Arabian desert. Very, very impressed so far.

BTW, my wife and I spent a couple of days in the Alps as guests of the Capaul-Webers, the owners of Alpa. Besides being wonderful hosts, they truly are passionate about building the best cameras possible and take user feedback very, very seriously. The STC was born of that feedback and is a clear example of their philosophy of only the best is good enough.

I look forward to seeing your posts from your shoots with your new STC.....

Regards,
    Siebel
    "In the end, it's all about the pictures"
    www.bryansiebel.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think someone just earned the exalted Enabler title....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    I think someone just earned the exalted Enabler title....

Isn't that the truth!!

Quote Originally Posted by siebel View Post
    Come on Graham, you are not trying hard enough. I'm sure you are able to come up with at least ten perfectly reasoned, rational, persuasive arguments why you simply MUST have an STC. How can you go out in public and call yourself a photographer if you haven't yet mastered this essential skill?

Now there's someone who can read me like a book. As if I needed any more reasons to spend ungodly amounts of cash on precision camera gear!

However, if I didn't already have a Max then I would be sorely tempted by a mini-max, err, STC. But then again, I'm traveling from the end of January until the end of February, plus I have that workshop in AZ and wouldn't it be handy just to have a super quality camera that I can carry in a satchel like I used to with my Leica with a couple of lenses, plus it's a bit like an MP but digital, and I've still got that Domke bag sitting in the corner empty and ready to go ... no, no, no, stop it ... that's enough of that!!

Post Thanks / Like

But then again, I'm traveling from the end of January until the end of February, plus I have that workshop in AZ and wouldn't it be handy just to have a super quality camera that I can carry in a satchel like I used to with my Leica with a couple of lenses, plus it's a bit like an MP but digital, and I've still got that Domke bag sitting in the corner empty and ready to go ... no, no, no, stop it ... that's enough of that!! [/QUOTE]

Graham, if we ever find ourselves in the same city (and you have an ALPA STC on you), the beers are on me!
    Siebel
    www.bryansiebel.com

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea one more reason. Guy wants to see it on the workshop. Lol
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is a VERY bad thread to look at. Very, very, very bad indeed.

Very expensive ... but then again, it's a cheap alternative to the S2 kit I was considering

I know, apples and oranges ... but that never stopped anyone afflicted with the MFD IQ disease has it?

So, a question to all you ALPA users ...

I'm terrible at estimating distances (which I learned first hand with a Hassey SWC) ... how the heck do you guys get accurate focusing?

Or does the DOF using a super-wide make up for it?

I'd be using a H4D/60 back with an Image Bank-II to power the digital mag.

Please disuade me.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This thread must be erased immediately . Guy please do so . Urgently .

This thread leads me again into so much temptation for an STC . I thought , I had overcome that , but this gets me back . This is not fair .

And the worst of it , I live only about 180 km away from the ALPA place .
    I am rather sure , that when I get my car out the next time , it will take me right there , and I can't do anything about it .

Marc

I once opened a thread here in this forum about focussing with an ALPA .
    I don't find it anymore .
    Perhaps someone can help .
    Focussing an ALPA is basically very much like with a HASSELBLAD SWC .
    Either with a little rangefinder and transfer the distance to the lens .
    (not very accurate) or
    use a laser Distometer (ex.LEICA DISTO5) and transfer the reading to the lens (not very accurate either, but better) or
    GG focussing or use the hyper focal method .
    ALPA announced HPF rings at the last PHOTOKINA .
    HPF stands for High Performance Focussing rings . They will be available soon . I have ordered them for my 4 lenses .

Other members here can surely give their experiences , which would be great .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's some ideas to work with.....

It's the latest and in some ways greatest offering from the best tech cam manufacturer - think of the camera envy you would provoke!

It is soooooooo user friendly.

It's light and compact and will be so easy to take with you everywhere you go. No more "wish I had my camera with me moments"

Your clients/friends/peers will think you're sooo cool because you are one of the first to see the wisdom in owning this camera.

All your Alpa bits will fit on it. How efficient is that?!!!

It's black, so it will match your clothes no matter what colours you wear....

Okay, I'll take my tongue out of my cheek now. It really is a must-have camera. I have made some short notes comparing it with the Horseman SW-DII that I have been using.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22367

I think Alpa really got the size/weight/features/performance spot on with the STC. I've been putting one through it's paces for a couple of weeks now, firstly in Swiss alpine winter conditions and now in the Arabian desert. Very, very impressed so far.

BTW, my wife and I spent a couple of days in the Alps as guests of the Capaul-Webers, the owners of Alpa. Besides being wonderful hosts, they truly are passionate about building the best cameras possible and take user feedback very, very seriously. The STC was born of that feedback and is a clear example of their philosophy of only the best is good enough.

Regards,

Bryan

Please no more pro STC arguments . They make me so impatient .
    I feel , I will loose that battle again and my 12SWA will be offended .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    how the heck do you guys get accurate focusing?
    for instance like this

1.)

2.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Graham, if we ever find ourselves in the same city (and you have an ALPA STC on you), the beers are on me!
    The beers will have to be on you because I'd be broke again. I've just spent a couple of months on the ramen noodle diet after replacing the Leaf Aptus that I broke with a P40+

This is a VERY bad thread to look at. Very, very, very bad indeed.

Very expensive ... but then again, it's a cheap alternative to the S2 kit I was considering

Please disuade me.

-Marc
    Well, $4k is just a drop in the bucket when it comes to Leica equipment, especially the S2. So, in effect, the STC is an absolute bargain so what's to dissuade?

Now I know from experience that buying an Alpa is a lot like ordering a new Porsche or BMW off of the option price list. Suddenly you're salivating over all of those absolutely essential options that you didn't initially budget on and you've bumped up the bill significantly. Heck, I've even been contemplating replacing my perfectly functional black handles on the Max with those ever so sexy wooden ones - now where's the sanity in that? On a camera body? It's not like anyone else really cares - but oh so nice. Damn, I've succumbed even further to camera bling. The horror!

Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    This thread must be erased immediately . Guy please do so . Urgently .

This thread leads me again into so much temptation for an STC . I thought , I had overcome that , but this gets me back . This is not fair .

I am rather sure , that when I get my car out the next time , it will take me right there , and I can't do anything about it .
    You know it makes sense ... why resist the inevitable?

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Yea one more reason. Guy wants to see it on the workshop. Lol
    Although I don't think it'll be mine. I'm working the budget for something unglamorous like the next new lens to flesh out my current Alpa!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the link ... successfully dissuaded Jurgen ...

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    for instance like this

1.)

2.)

This or simliar combinations (Arca) Make it possible to get perfect focus on the first try.

Here is a very quick sample:
    full image.

100% from my first shot, only normal capture sharpened (25USM)

Post Thanks / Like

Just wondering: Is it possible to attach a compendium shade to the STC? On the alpa website, all I can find is the "ALPA Pro Lens Shade PLS 70-75". Isn't there something like the Arca compendium hood? Or is there a way to attach the Sinar solution for the arTec?

--
    chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You can certainly use something like the LEE system where the standard adapter ring screws on to the front of the lens and then the LEE hood assembly attaches on to that. The downside is that you don't end up with a lot of room to access the shutter and aperture controls or recocking lever when this is mounted but that's nothing new or specific to the Alpa - that applies to any hood/LF lens assembly. I use the LEE bellows hood occasionally and it works across all of my camera/lens systems.

I haven't seen the Alpa shade in person though. Maybe someone else can comment on that.

Post Thanks / Like

All I can think of when reading this thread is the last part of The Lord's Prayer, to wit:

"And lead us not into temptation,
    but deliver us from evil.
    For thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory. for ever and ever. Amen"
    Roger
    Leica M6, M8.2 & assorted Leica glass

jamie123

I live about 1km away from the ALPA place.
    (Un)fortunately my empty bank account has made it remarkably easy to resist the temptation of an ALPA so far!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the link ... successfully dissuaded Jurgen ...

-Marc

Marc

Shooting with an ALPA is Photography back to the roots with the best available lenses , film and digital backs .
    It requires time and gives you time , time to compose your image and set up your camera . It is a joy .
    It is not an "all in one camera" and does not want to be , but as you used to say : horses for courses .
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fortunately I have an excuse to defer this - Hasselblad is working on a presumably more convenient external battery for the 60 meg back. Show me the battery and I'll probably fall for the Alpa. Let's start thinking about which lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cly View Post
    Just wondering: Is it possible to attach a compendium shade to the STC? On the alpa website, all I can find is the "ALPA Pro Lens Shade PLS 70-75". Isn't there something like the Arca compendium hood? Or is there a way to attach the Sinar solution for the arTec?

--
    chris
    Chris

I use the ALPA with the longest lens beeing the DIGARON-W 90mm .
    If I need a longer focal length , i will use the HASSELBLAD V-SYSTEM cameras .
    For 3 of my lenses , I can use the PLS 70-75 , which I find sufficient enough . For my SUPER ANGULON XL 72mm , I use a HELIOPAN screw in shade . Easy to use and it takes almost no space .
    Here the PLS is mounted on the DIGARON-S 28mm and due to the wide angle of the lens , shifted back as much as possible as you can see .
    No trouble so far .

Quote Originally Posted by beamon View Post
    All I can think of when reading this thread is the last part of The Lord's Prayer, to wit:

"And lead us not into temptation,
    but deliver us from evil.
    For thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory. for ever and ever. Amen"

Roger

Your prayer comes too late , about a year too late .
    In for a penny , in for a pound .

Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like

Funny this, I'm sitting in the Air New Zealand lounge at LAX with an STC in my bag that I didn't have till I walked into the dealers 5days ago. damn it.

Yes, I already own a TC and a Max, but this is the only one with me on a month long trip down-under. Luckily the lenses fit. If happiness ensues, the Max will go to the great Bay in the sky.

Ronan

I have shot with quite a few camera's and met quite a handful of known photographers in my short years as a photographer...

But i have very limited knowledge on the ALPA camera's... could someone point me in the right direction so i can 'ohhhhh' and 'ahhhhh' with everyone else?

Thanks

Shelby Lewis

I once had (ok... still secretly ) this burning desire to try to shoot portraits with an alpa TC. Deep DoF stuff with strobes on location (or studio). Never did get to try it.

Nuts... I know.

It is the "simple camera" I've always coveted... a plate with a lens on one end and some sort of imager on the other.

Camera Zen (porn) at it's best!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ronan View Post
    I have shot with quite a few camera's and met quite a handful of known photographers in my short years as a photographer...

But i have very limited knowledge on the ALPA camera's... could someone point me in the right direction so i can 'ohhhhh' and 'ahhhhh' with everyone else?

Thanks
    Be careful what you wish for ...
    http://www.alpa.ch/en/intro.html
    http://www.alpa.ch/en/gallery.html

Check out the videos on YouTube from this page too:
    http://www.alpa.ch/en/links.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another option for lens shades or filters is a slip-on adapter from SKGrimes: http://www.skgrimes.com/slipon/index.htm. I have one that fits my Digitar 35 or 47 (they have the same OD), and is threaded at accept 67mm filters and hoods.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jurgen

I see you are using the 39 megapixel CFV back on the shot posted.
    I also note that the left hand grip has a wake-up button?
    Has ALPA released a cable for Hasselblad which they mentioned a while back?

Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by narikin View Post
    Funny this, I'm sitting in the Air New Zealand lounge at LAX with an STC in my bag that I didn't have till I walked into the dealers 5days ago. damn it.
    I hate it when that happens.
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 12th January 2011 at 00:30.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Jurgen

I see you are using the 39 megapixel CFV back on the shot posted.
    I also note that the left hand grip has a wake-up button?
    Has ALPA released a cable for Hasselblad which they mentioned a while back?

Pete
    Peter

That wake-up release button was built to my order and is not officially in ALPA's product portfolio .
    It is actually similar to the PHASE ONE wake up button they have .
    If you are using any CFV back and work from a tripod , you can also use HASSELBLAD's cable release H and just plug into the CFV back .
    The part number for that cable is 3043370 . I prefer that solution when working from a tripod .
    The common wake-up cable , which was announced at the last Photokina is not available yet .

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    I hate when that happens.
    Graham , it will happen , sooner or later .
    In the moment , I am not in danger , but when I drive to Zurich to pick up my HPF rings , I will be in strong temptation again .
    I believe , the last hurdle will fall , when I have the STC in my hands . Palisander grip of course .
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cly View Post

--
    chris
    the arTec lens shade basically can be used on all LF lenses as you mount it on lens adapter rings (fitting in the regular filter thread).
    http://www.sinar.ch/en/products/acce...v-adapterringe
    There are also lens caps (not listed on Sinar's website) so that you can leave the adapter rings on the lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    the arTec lens shade basically can be used on all LF lenses as you mount it on lens adapter rings (fitting in the regular filter thread).
    http://www.sinar.ch/en/products/acce...v-adapterringe
    There are also lens caps (not listed on Sinar's website) so that you can leave the adapter rings on the lenses.
    Thomas

That Sinar bellow shade seems to be a nice product but would not fit on any ALPA . Where would you mount the rod ? ? ?
    Anyway . Where do you buy Sinar products in Germany ? ? ?
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That wake-up release button was built to my order and is not officially in ALPA's product portfolio .
    It is actually similar to the PHASE ONE wake up button they have .
    If you are using any CFV back and work from a tripod , you can also use HASSELBLAD's cable release H and just plug into the CFV back .
    The part number for that cable is 3043370 . I prefer that solution when working from a tripod .
    The common wake-up cable , which was announced at the last Photokina is not available yet .

Thanks Jurgen - I currently have to use the same system you mention with my H3D11-39 back - basically set the back for a 2 or 5 sec exposure trigger the back and then trigger the shutter within that time - works ok but I am looking forward to Alpas release of a dedicated cable

Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I hate it when that happens.
    Graham
    I have lost the battle . . . . . . But , I was not really fighting hard .
    Pickup next week .

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post

Thanks Jurgen - I currently have to use the same system you mention with my H3D11-39 back - basically set the back for a 2 or 5 sec exposure trigger the back and then trigger the shutter within that time - works ok but I am looking forward to Alpas release of a dedicated cable .
    Pete
    Pete
    I had a call with the ALPA people today . The High Precision Focusing rings will be available around first week of February , but the delivery of the wake-up device cable was not mentioned . I am waiting for that too .
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like

Be careful what you wish for ...
    http://www.alpa.ch/en/intro.html
    http://www.alpa.ch/en/gallery.html

Check out the videos on YouTube from this page too:
    http://www.alpa.ch/en/links.html
    See also Paul's Optech Digital Porn Page: http://www.optechsdigital.com/Alpa.html#Alpa_Bodies

He has a bunch of Alpa videos there too...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby Lewis View Post
    I once had (ok... still secretly ) this burning desire to try to shoot portraits with an alpa TC. Deep DoF stuff with strobes on location (or studio). Never did get to try it.

Nuts... I know.

It is the "simple camera" I've always coveted... a plate with a lens on one end and some sort of imager on the other.

Camera Zen (porn) at it's best!!!!
    Haha, me too. I wanted to get one to replicate how I'd use a 4x5" in the field. I shoot what could best be described as documentary, urban landscapes and a lot of street portraits. Maybe I'm a masochist but the Alpa STC seems like a great tool for this purpose. And hey, if Luc Delahaye can use an SWA in a war zone and on location, I can give it a go in little old, quiet NZ.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

With the right wide angle lens you're pretty much in point & shoot territory with the TC/STC/SWA. Not much focusing required for street work if you're prepared to live with zone focusing too.

This thread isn't helping my firm conviction that I only need ONE Alpa.

Optechs Digital

Here is a picture we just took to give an idea of the relative size difference between several different Alpa models.

From left to right: Max, STC, SWA and TC.

For reference, the TC is about 4.25 inches across.

Attachment 39271

Best Regards,
    Paul
    Last edited by Optechs Digital; 12th January 2011 at 14:01.

Shelby Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Optechs Digital View Post
    Here is a picture we just took to give an idea of the relative size difference between several different Alpa models.

From right to Left: Max, STC, SWA and TC.

Attachment 39271

Best Regards,
    Paul
    ooohhh... that TC is calling my name. Are there any "cheap" () normal lenses for the Alpa system (normal, is in 40-50mm on 35mm).

Optechs Digital

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby Lewis View Post
    ooohhh... that TC is calling my name. Are there any "cheap" () normal lenses for the Alpa system (normal, is in 40-50mm on 35mm).
    Hi Shelby,

The Schneider Apo Digitar 60mm is an often overlooked lens but I think is very effective on the TC. The 60 is about like a 42mm on a FF 35mm based on a 37x49 size CCD. It is just a little over 3K which I think actually does qualify as cheap

Best,
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From right to Left: Max, STC, SWA and TC.

Attachment 39271

Best Regards,
    Paul

Paul

Sorry for the little correction .
    It surely should read from LEFT to RIGHT instead of right to left .
    Thank you for your comparison of the camera sizes .
    Regards . Jürgen .

Optechs Digital

Paul

Sorry for the little correction .
    It surely should read from LEFT to RIGHT instead of right to left .
    Thank you for your comparison of the camera sizes .
    Thanks much Jurgen,

It must come from spending too much time looking at things upside down and backwards.

Best,
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like

From left to right: Max, STC, SWA and TC.

makes me realise how the STC maybe the best compromise all-rounder, but the TC is the purest expression.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My STC order from yesterday came about two hours too late .
    The first STC lot is sold .
    I am on the top of list for the second lot . So I have a three weeks reprieve .
    Time enough to print some good € notes .
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thomas

That Sinar bellow shade seems to be a nice product but would not fit on any ALPA . Where would you mount the rod ? ? ?
    Anyway . Where do you buy Sinar products in Germany ? ? ?
    the bellows lens shade doesn't fit... but the arTec lens shade does fit (on the lenses via adapter)

http://www.sinar.ch/en/products/acce...ompendiummaske

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/attach...9&d=1280227639

you can buy Sinar products at Profot, Cologne

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Regards,
    damn it, Bryan ... I cracked.

I believe that the "enabler" moniker must now apply to you!

Post Thanks / Like

damn it, Bryan ... I cracked.

I believe that the "enabler" moniker must now apply to you!
    So, Graham, welcome to the club! As a member of our Facebook community, you might have seen the pics from my demo shoot at the Phase One global dealer launch of the IQ180, here in Dubai.
    So now you have the perfect camera, when are you adding the perfect back?

It is much more awesome than all the media hype suggests

Happy shooting mate!
    Siebel
    www.bryansiebel.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So, Graham, welcome to the club! As a member of our Facebook community, you might have seen the pics from my demo shoot at the Phase One global dealer launch of the IQ180, here in Dubai.
    So now you have the perfect camera, when are you adding the perfect back?

It is much more awesome than all the media hype suggests

Happy shooting mate!
    Well ... As it happens ... I did order an IQ140 too although obviously I'm not going to be seeing that for a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Well ... As it happens ... I did order an IQ140 too although obviously I'm not going to be seeing that for a while.
    WooHooo for you. I honestly believe that the marriage of the IQ series backs with the ALPA STC is the current "all-round" best combo in the tech camera game, so I applaud your decision.

I look forward to your image posts.

Cheers,

BTW, pardon my ignorance, but what is an "enabler"? This is the third time I've been called this and I still haven't a clue what it means.
    Siebel
    www.bryansiebel.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From Websters Dictionary: an enabler is

"one that enables another to achieve an end; especially: one who enables another to persist in self-destructive behavior (as substance abuse) by providing excuses or by making it possible to avoid the consequences of such behavior."

Most of the enablers here engage in the enabled behavior.