The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

wind correction

irakly

i am in moscow now. shot in a studio a little bit... broncolor, c645, p25 and a little bit of an extension tube :)

D

DougDolde

Looks more like she's painted with a laser through a rifle scope.

etrigan63

No, that's not a laser painting her. It's too spread out and would register as a blown highlight. Laser sights are that bright, even the red ones. A green one would damage the sensor. Looks more like a fiber optic dot sight. I know this because I have one on my target bow. For the record, I am not a bow hunter (can't bring myself to kill a deer, let alone clean it and skin it afterwards. Heck, I hate doing it to fish!), but I target shoot. Helps me focus.

HansAlbert

The first impression of this image is shocking because the shadows make the viewer believe that the scope belongs to a rifle and so the question arises: Is the young woman supposed to be shot dead and why in the world? Then the two red-dot-reticles function as a peculiar catalyser for developing other interpretations of this alienating scene.
One line traces back to ancient mythology: Penthesilea, the Amazonian queen who joined the Trojan War, was killed by Achilles who fell nevertheless in love with her and lamented over her death. This motive of the chaotic mixture of violence and affection, of violent death and making love goes well with the long tradition of understanding Eros as the son of Aphrodite and Ares. But there is not only the theme of sex antagonism in the image, there is also the antagonism between rationality and libido – the two red dots – within a single subject, both combined in the allusion to the James Bond movies which appreciatively exhibit these themes with a wink, showing how the opposing couple – J.B. and his hostile female counterpart – end up in bed, thus staging the triumph of Eros: "amor vincit omnia", even the loyalty to secret services.
The other line, suggested by the metapher of the shot, leads to a self-reflection of the photographer-artist. Focussing on his model to work out the strongest expression of her nature and her potential is not only a matter of intellect but also of (sublimated) libido. The ancients had the story of Pygmalion to express this truth.
Finally, the "wind correction" can be read as an "undercover" adjustment control of libido; the image accordingly is mocking the purposive-rational action of intelligence, particularly of the intelligence service.

PeterA

Irakly - I think the term you were looking for is "windage" - only retro males who have to shoot the occasional wild pig/snake/kangaroo/feral cat/dog/scare off a 'murder' of crows or uninvited guest generally fuss about such matters.

I would imagine given the context of the shot ( get the pun?) - "windage" doesn't much
come into it on a literal or pragmatic level.

Nice pic -:)

s.agar

I had missed your reviews for quite a long time. :thumbs:
Seyhun (digicam in DPR)

The first impression of this image is shocking because the shadows make the viewer believe that the scope belongs to a rifle and so the question arises: Is the young woman supposed to be shot dead and why in the world? Then the two red-dot-reticles function as a peculiar catalyser for developing other interpretations of this alienating scene.
One line traces back to ancient mythology: Penthesilea, the Amazonian queen who joined the Trojan War, was killed by Achilles who fell nevertheless in love with her and lamented over her death. This motive of the chaotic mixture of violence and affection, of violent death and making love goes well with the long tradition of understanding Eros as the son of Aphrodite and Ares. But there is not only the theme of sex antagonism in the image, there is also the antagonism between rationality and libido – the two red dots – within a single subject, both combined in the allusion to the James Bond movies which appreciatively exhibit these themes with a wink, showing how the opposing couple – J.B. and his hostile female counterpart – end up in bed, thus staging the triumph of Eros: "amor vincit omnia", even the loyalty to secret services.
The other line, suggested by the metapher of the shot, leads to a self-reflection of the photographer-artist. Focussing on his model to work out the strongest expression of her nature and her potential is not only a matter of intellect but also of (sublimated) libido. The ancients had the story of Pygmalion to express this truth.
Finally, the "wind correction" can be read as an "undercover" adjustment control of libido; the image accordingly is mocking the purposive-rational action of intelligence, particularly of the intelligence service.

irakly

You all need to see Irakly's book: "Snipers In Love."
snipers in love is rubbish. today a new thing came out. it is actually the first issue of a new magazine-type publication in which every issue is dedicated to one photographer. until sunday i did not even realize that i was the first in the series. A3, 100 pictures, 16,000 copies, bilingual. presentation is on the 26th.