The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

how shoot a car for printing 1:1

rem

I have to shoot for Audi a Audi A1 (the smallest). They will print the file in the original size from the car. I don't know exactly the size bit its about 3.6m. The prints will be used as a background for fun-pictures on ski and snowboard races. Should that be ok with my H4d 40? Or would it be cool to make 2 or 3 pictures with the HTS1.5 and then stitching in Photoshop? I don't know the print"raster". Thanks for your input, rem

etrigan63

Well it wouldn't just be the car in the image, would it? You have to account for backdrop, scenery , etc. Since this is going to become a backdrop for other photos I don't think that super high level of detail will be needed. My guess, would be that the 40 is enough, but a stitched image would allow for a flatter shot (less distortion).

I'm done now...

fotografz

I have to shoot for Audi a Audi A1 (the smallest). They will print the file in the original size from the car. I don't know exactly the size bit its about 3.6m. The prints will be used as a background for fun-pictures on ski and snowboard races. Should that be ok with my H4d 40? Or would it be cool to make 2 or 3 pictures with the HTS1.5 and then stitching in Photoshop? I don't know the print"raster". Thanks for your input, rem
Where are you going to shoot this car? In what light?

-Marc

rem

its only the car, no background. The print will be on a hard stuff "Forex" what they can stick in the snow. Its the car from the side. Marc, I can make the picture in- or outside. I think outside would not be so bad we will have overcast, maybe a little sunny plus maybe two flasheads to bring more brilliance in the colors...
rem

J

jamie123

Have you shot cars before? Very tricky with lots of reflections. I would definitely not shoot it outside if the plan is to print without background. You'll likely end up with lots of reflections that make no sense.
As far as resolution is concerned you could go as far as 80mp in a single shot. I think Profot is already has the new Leaf Aptus-II 12 for rent.

Any reason why they don't just use a 3D rendering?

R

Ronan

You will need: Proper studio lighting for cars, theirs a LOT of reflections on cars... (like a LOT).

We have done it with D2x a couple years ago for Tech-Art, so your H4D 40 is MORE than enough.

I would suggest a 3D rendering... i'm actually surprised they want a photo...

When you say 1:1 you mean from your resolution in camera, or from aspect to the Car (aka print it so its 1:1 to the car)???

rem

Jamie, I made several carshots before in the nature. I will check the situation tmorrow. Ronan, yes with 1:1 I mean the original size of the car.. You made that with the D2X?
rem

fotografz

It is strange that Audi does not have a photo or rendering of this car already. I have already shot 2012 accessories, wheels and fabrics for GM ... with the wheels shot in perspective to match existing 2012 vehicle photography and renderings.

Is this a special edition model, or does Audi want something special done with the photo?

Doing a stitched panoramic would be very cool and impress the client no end. Doing more than what is needed often leads to more work.:thumbup:

If you have can access a studio with a cyclorama or cove background that's big enough, and has flying flats or a computer controlled overhead light box system, I'd do it there.
Especially if you do a multi-shot stitch ... because you want the color and exposure to be exactly the same from shot-to-shot ... then correct one file and paste the same corrections on the other shots in Phocus.

Shooting outdoors is tricky ... even in an open area it picks up the ambient color cast surroundings ... and when you outline the car to knock out the background it becomes very apparent that the color of the car no longer looks correct.
Car companies are very picky about that kind of stuff.

Good luck :thumbs:

-Marc

rem

Thanks Marc! Yes its a special car I think with a special snowboard painting. I have to do the shot I think friday and have no access to a studio for car photography. I can make it outside or in a big Audi Center, but there I think the reflections will much more difficult. The cut the prints from the car out, put it on a wall and use it as a background for souvenir shots with fans at the races. In the snow would not be bad, but the snow is gone (here). Have a nice evening! rem

R

Ronan

Jamie, I made several carshots before in the nature. I will check the situation tomorrow. Ronan, yes with 1:1 I mean the original size of the car.. You made that with the D2X?
rem
Yes, I'm trying to find the photos but i don't think i have them on my home HDD backup tower (very few work files here). We did not print life size though, but about 3/4 of it + the background.

Since you don't have access to a studio setup for cars hmnnn...

Ether work with the lighting you have... or eliminate ALL lights and provide your own (long exposure + flashes). But to have that nice soft/creamy lighting you find in brochures... you would need a studio setup for that.

Another idea... big white drape over the car to diffuse those hard lights usually found inside dealers showrooms ;)

But to me it sounds like they want something simple & quick, so go outside where theirs minimum background, overcast day to diffuse the sun's hard light, a good polarizer and proper settings and voila, bob's my name :D

J

jamie123

Rem, do it in the Audi Center. Take LOTS of black cloth and solid light stands and build a tent around the car. Get a big square softbox and a boomstand. Have the light face down straight over the edge of the car. Move the light along the side (always at the same height) as you shoot the different parts of the car. Since you're stitching shots of the car you might aswell 'stitch' the light. Oh and maybe run a white seamless on the floor in front of car for some soft reflection.

dick

its only the car, no background. The print will be on a hard stuff "Forex" what they can stick in the snow. Its the car from the side. Marc, I can make the picture in- or outside. I think outside would not be so bad we will have overcast, maybe a little sunny plus maybe two flasheads to bring more brilliance in the colors...
rem
Outside should work as long as you can find an all-white area, or an interesting area, and you can choose an overcast day.

If you took the photo on a ski slope, any reflections would be relevant... picturte of cars can be lifestyle, or in context... is this specified in the brief?

Cars do not have a great deal of detail that needs very high-res imaging, but I would use a tech camera and stitch.

If you want this type of work, go for excellent, not adequate.

fotografz

Rem, do it in the Audi Center. Take LOTS of black cloth and solid light stands and build a tent around the car. Get a big square softbox and a boomstand. Have the light face down straight over the edge of the car. Move the light along the side (always at the same height) as you shoot the different parts of the car. Since you're stitching shots of the car you might aswell 'stitch' the light. Oh and maybe run a white seamless on the floor in front of car for some soft reflection.
Really?

Personally, I'd have to see an example of that.

It seems a bit un-natural for an overhead lit, full profile shot scenario. I'd do the opposite ... use a white backdrop so the see-through windows look correct when the background is knocked out ... and possibly use long black or white cloth or set of flats (W or B depends on the color of the car) just in front of the camera (hole cut for the lens), to get rid of the reflections of the landscape behind the camera, and the shooter ... which if included, will look foreign when not in an ambient background that matches. This will also help neutralize WB for color matching the Audi paint. But only on a calm day ... otherwise forget that idea :) (there is a reason a lot of this type of work in done in studio).

I'd also take care using a boom strobe moved along the car for stitching ... the inevitable overlap from spill light could cause modulations in tone. I'd just use an overcast sky and do the stitch shots as swiftly as possible to minimize minor exposure difference that can happen even on an overcast day. I'd also shoot a series of single shots of the whole car as back-up to the stitching scenario.

Sorry, it's the Art Director in me ... I did car advertising for almost 20 years and have seen most everything tried.

-Marc

If none of the above is possible, then retouching will probably be needed ... and that in itself is a real art form.

J

jamie123

Really?

Personally, I'd have to see an example of that.

It seems a bit un-natural for an overhead lit, full profile shot scenario. I'd do the opposite ... use a white backdrop so the see-through windows look correct when the background is knocked out ... and possibly use long black or white cloth or set of flats (W or B depends on the color of the car) just in front of the camera (hole cut for the lens), to get rid of the reflections of the landscape behind the camera, and the shooter ... which if included, will look foreign when not in an ambient background that matches. This will also help neutralize WB for color matching the Audi paint. But only on a calm day ... otherwise forget that idea :) (there is a reason a lot of this type of work in done in studio).

I'd also take care using a boom strobe moved along the car for stitching ... the inevitable overlap from spill light could cause modulations in tone. I'd just use an overcast sky and do the stitch shots as swiftly as possible to minimize minor exposure difference that can happen even on an overcast day. I'd also shoot a series of single shots of the whole car as back-up to the stitching scenario.

Sorry, it's the Art Director in me ... I did car advertising for almost 20 years and have seen most everything tried.

-Marc

If none of the above is possible, then retouching will probably be needed ... and that in itself is a real art form.
All good suggestions and they make a lot of sense. I haven't thought about it too much so it was just an idea. Also, cars are not exactly my expertise. I have more experience with small shiny objects (still life) than big ones :)
I have seen the light stitching technique used before but it was with continuous lighting, not strobes and that is also what I would use. It would, of course, require a good deal of professional retouching to make the final image work. But then again, I would rather do it right and light the whole car properly. The less post processing is required the better.

rem

Thanks to all for the great and different input. Its fun to learn every day! So I have a little bit more time, because the car moved now to Wengen for the Lauberhorn Skirace this Weekend. I hope I receive my HTS next week! All in the rents are out. Today I was looking a bit where I can make the pics. I post one sample from one position. Remember, the car will be cuttet without background. I made the pictures with my S3, I have not a S5 how Mediumcool (but I have a F1.0HC;-). The A1 to shoot is white and red, not silver. I think I try to mak a white paper n the windows at the backside. What you think about? rem

ah ok, the windows will be cutted out that peple can lokk troug...;-) Yo see, a very simple situation..