The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad H lens question

Dolce Moda

While my H is on it's vacation to Denmark. I am looking to expand my collection of lenses beyond
the 80mm it came with.

My work is primarily beauty work. I shoot mostly head/shoulders type stuff. In the past,
I had used the Canon 180mm/3.5L Macro for most of my work. Before I switched over to
medium format I was becoming disillusioned with using a macro lens due to many lost shots.
The shallow depth of field,even at f16, was costing me keepers because there were times that
the focus would lock on a detail like the fringe of the hair... leaving the eyes soft.

When I switched to Hasselblad V, I was pretty satisfied with the CFi 150/4.

The lenses I am considering are:

1. The 100mm combined with a 1.7x converter
2. The 120 Makro... because I have heard it's sharp... but less so because I am wary of macros now.
3. The 150mm
4. The 210mm

Any recommendations/cautions?

Alex

B

BlueLemon

Hi Alex

I went through the same considerations and initially bought the 100, 120 and 150

But changed the order to this constellation instead - giving me an "extra lens"

100, 120 and 210 + TC1.7

The 100 + TC1.7 should be very good and still somewhat light - and have a focal length in between the 100 and 210 which are both very nice for modelling and portraits

The 120 is unrivalled when it comes to sharpness and it delivers stunning results - a true gem, but I believe it can be a bit too revealing in skintones - something that you don´t always want. But for products and packshots - go for it.

Then the 210 is also a true gem and comes close to the 180/3.5 in focal length (not quite) but it delivers stunning depth of field and the bokeh is almost on par with the 100/2.2.

I had the 150n but very quickly found out that it would very soon become obsolete in my bag - so i shifted it for the 210.

Just my 2 cents

B

BlueLemon

I meant of course : too much details in skintones when talking about the 120

B

BlueLemon

And if you at some point need to go wider the HCD 28 is just amazing.

the 80 mm just gets assigned as paperweight in company of these lenses - however a fair performer - nothing wild but as expected from a standard lens.

My next is on of the zooms - there is a gap in my lineup, which craves for a zoom ;-)

Dustbak

You will love the 35-90. It rivals many high-end prime lenses at various focal lenghts. It certainly beats the 35,50 & 80mm primes.

L

lucima2

Hi Dolce Moda,

I do most of my beauty work with the HC-210mm f/4:

Here are a few samples:

Cheers :)

Charles