Site Sponsors

Thread: Learning Sinarback 54M

Post Thanks / Like

Learning Sinarback 54M

Hi there.

I expect to receive my first MFDB Sinarback 54M in a week or two.
    I want to be prepared before I open the box and mount the back to my Contax 645.

Please recommend on-line resources about how to use the back, software, macbook, how tos, best practices, etc to be ready in studio and outdoors.

Thank

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Learning Sinarback 54M

Congrats on you new back! Did you buy the one that was on ebay last week? I had one eye on it but didn't bid since it was Contax mount. Am I correct that the 54M is teethered only? Great quality back from what I've seen from it, and compact too. Thierry (theSinar) and Graham (foto-z) shoud have some advice for you

Hrannar
    Hrannar Hauksson
    http://www.hauxon.com

thsinar

Dear Evgeny,

Congratulations for your purchase of a Sinarback and welcome in our family.

There is not much to be said at this stage that could help you.

All you'll have to do is to connect your back via FW cable to your Mac, launch Captureshop and set the camera you are using the back with (in your case Contax) by going to "Captureshop Menu" ---> "Hardware Setup" and from the window appearing choose in the dropdown menu the Contax, wait a few seconds for the back to be detected (the serial number and type of back will appear in the bottom of this window) and click "OK".

See also attached screenshots.

You can download Captureshop 5.6 (latest version) from our webpage:

www.sinarcameras.com ---> "Downloads" ---> "Software"

First you need to register (free) to our SOG (SInar Owners' Group), by filling in a form with the serial number of your back (or other Sinar product): it is done in a few seconds and will generate and send you automatically a "User Name" and "Password" to login and access the "Downloads" zone.

There is a very helpfull "Capture Shop Help" online: see screenshot. It explains CS and all its features.

That's all I can say for the time being.

Best regards,
    Thierry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evgeny View Post
    Hi there.

I expect to receive my first MFDB Sinarback 54M in a week or two.
    I want to be prepared before I open the box and mount the back to my Contax 645.

Please recommend on-line resources about how to use the back, software, macbook, how tos, best practices, etc to be ready in studio and outdoors.

Thank
    I had some experience with a 54M back and used it for two-three weeks when I had to find a 54M or 54H in order to upgrade the firmware on my Sinar M-camera (impossible to upgrade throuth eMotion backs.

It is a very simple to use and comfortable to work configuration. I have a similar back, the 54H and I love the color off the Kodak sensor. AFAIK the eXposure 6.X does not support the 54M and 54H backs. So your workflow will be Captureshop. It is very stable with tethering backs and I see only one fault - it is the difficult to use Colour Ball for color and white balancing. You will easily overcome this limitation with a grey card shot and saving the setting.

Please PM me if you have any questions.
    Yevgeny

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hauxon View Post
    Congrats on you new back! Did you buy the one that was on ebay last week? I had one eye on it but didn't bid since it was Contax mount. Am I correct that the 54M is teethered only? Great quality back from what I've seen from it, and compact too. Thierry (theSinar) and Graham (foto-z) shoud have some advice for you

Hrannar
    Hi, yes I bought it last week on eBay. It works teethered only. I think it was a good deal and interesting auction.
    Last edited by evgeny; 16th June 2008 at 04:13.

Post Thanks / Like

Thierry and Yevgeny, thank.

I need to learn the software. I'm going to order mackbook from B&H in NY.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a question rised in my head - are there any useful/recommended accessories to shoot the 54M back outdoors ?

In studio it should be easy
    Last edited by evgeny; 16th June 2008 at 04:41.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congratulations on your new back... i hope you'll share some images from it when you have time. As far as accessories for shooting outdoors, you might consider getting a shade to screen your laptop from the glare of the sun. Also there are some platforms that attach to a tripod or lighting stand to hold the laptop that might be of interest. I don't do much of this but maybe others can provide a link. If you're going to add RAM, you might take a look at Other World Computing. They have very good deals and prices.

Post Thanks / Like

As far as the best accessory for tethered outside shooting in the urban environment is concerned, I find the Executive Protection squad or a minder/assistant is the must. At least here, in Russia. 8-)

Post Thanks / Like

David, thank. I like the idea with tripod.

Yevgeny, it's much safer in Israel.
    Last edited by evgeny; 16th June 2008 at 07:29.

Post Thanks / Like

For outside tethering I use a FOBA ASNIO mini tripod with combitube legs extensions. It is small but sturdy.
    http://www.foba.ch/eng/programm/programm.htm
    On two tripod legs (Combitube extentions) I fix two FOBA computer tables. For that I use two FOBA СOGAE clamps.
    http://www.foba.ch/eng/combi/combi.htm
    I am sure that Manfrotto/Bogen has similar fixtures in their catalogue.
    Yevgeny

Post Thanks / Like

Yevgeny thank!

I use Bogen / Manfrotto 458B NeoTec Pro Photo Tripod with a 468 ball head.

Sometimes in studio I also use Berlebach 3022 wooden tripod with a panoramic head, mainly to mount my most heavy equipment, such as the 20x80 and 22x100 binoculars for astronomy and observing deep skies.

I will check what these manufacturers offer to support macbook on location.

Post Thanks / Like

That seller sends me messages, average three times per week, he promise to ship the Sinarback 54M to Israel. Two weeks are over, and my back is not shipped, yet.

I opened today a dispute on eBay/PayPal, which soon may escalate into PayPal Claim.
    I just think who can do a better job, PayPal, Interpol or Mossad.

eBayers be aware: "leica-historica" aka Seyed Sajadi from Richmond Hill, Ontario, ON, Canada. I can get more details about the seller later.
    Last edited by evgeny; 26th June 2008 at 14:46.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

or Mossad.
    The Mossad have been known to use fake Canadian passports, so the Mossad may already be in Ontario

I looked at his feedback and there are a couple mentions of items shipping from Dubai, not Canada.

Robert
    Last edited by robsteve; 26th June 2008 at 15:40.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Robert I remember a thread on LUF about some guy doing leica scams , is this the same guy.

Actually just looked him up on e-bay . Looks legit and has decent feedback and is a seller of camera gear. Hopefully this is just a case of being lazy and just not shipping fast enough or stuck in customs. I am still waiting on a part from Hong Kong that looks like I will never get it and was stuck in customs. Luckily it is only a 100 dollars

Fingers crossed here it works out okay
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ebay is a real problem at times. Some guy from Hong Kong won my DMR, and then said, "I did not make those bids. I would not bid that much for a DMR that I can buy new in Hong Kong for that price." So now I am left with some guy who won the auction, but refuses to pay.

Yevgeniy, I hope that you get your Sinarback eventually. The files from the 54M are some of the best that I have seen in terms of color...they are just fantastic.

Post Thanks / Like

Robert,
    I asked him specifically, before my bid in auction, if he is really stay in Canada, can ship to Israel or needs the time to first receive the item from Dubai (shipping from Dubai to Israel is not possible), or should I pass the auction due to location of the item. He said yes, he is in Canada, will ship to Israel, no worries.

I sell many items on eBay, I know well about fast shipping and normal short delays. 2 weeks is more than enough to ship (arrange shipment) small package, also in case of holidays, illness, etc. My impression is that he never said the truth.

The dispute on eBay/PayPal must be resolved within 20 days. Of course I want the 54M, not refund.

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly while I wrote my previous message I received two e-mails.
    First my private channel in Canada sent me full address of that guy. I wanted it just in any case.
    Second the seller just updated status to shipped and sent me tracking number via PayPal. I don't know how to track Canada Post Xpress Service - Purlator, but at least something happen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Depending on how it went, you may be able to track it on the Purolator web site or the Canada post web site.

http://purolator.ca/

http://www.canadapost.ca/segment-e.asp

Post Thanks / Like

Thank for the links.
    The purolator.ca cannot open.
    The canadapost.ca says "The information may not be available if your item was mailed recently". I will check tracking number later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Evgeny:

Try this link for Purolator:

http://www.purolator.ca/

The tracking is in the upper right corner of the page. It may ask you to choose English or French as a language the first time you go to the page.

You could also check the EMS tracking too. If it was shipped yesterday, it should show somewhere by now, most likely on the Purolator site.

Here is Israel EMS:

http://web01.postil.com/itemtrace.ns...?openform&L=EN

Robert

Post Thanks / Like

Robert, thank!

The http://www.purolator.ca is the first web site that I cannot open from Israel.
    Canadapost.ca says "Item accepted at the Post Office".
    Israel EMS already returns that processing of the package started June 26.
    I wait to receive the package and check digital back, at least a progress is shown.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Robert, thank!

The http://www.purolator.ca is the first web site that I cannot open from Israel.
    Canadapost.ca says "Item accepted at the Post Office".
    Israel EMS already returns that processing of the package started June 26.
    I wait to receive the package and check digital back, at least a progress is shown.
    That good. The confusion is that Canada Post will offer to send items by Purolator or EMS. Purolator probably handles both for them, but if it goes EMS, the tracking is EMS. If he had sent it overnight via Purolator, the shipping with insurance would probably been $200-300.

Since he sent it EMS, there may be a limit to the insurance coverage. You better make sure everything is fine with it when it arrives.

Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is starting to sound a little better at least there is a package in the system.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Robert, you get the Good Samaritan award for this one... Nothing worse than worrying if something you've paid for may not be coming.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree he does get the 5 stars award. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Robert,

the seller said the package is shipped via Express Purolator with 3-5 days of delivery.
    EMS Israel is responsible for handling some other carriers, such as usps, when packages arrive in Israel. I suppose EMS Israel will handle Purolator, too, because they show status of this package.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Robert,

the seller said the package is shipped via Express Purolator with 3-5 days of delivery.
    EMS Israel is responsible for handling some other carriers, such as usps, when packages arrive in Israel. I suppose EMS Israel will handle Purolator, too, because they show status of this package.
    I have been told that Canada Post owns a good portion of Purolator. That is why there is the fuzzy line between it going Purolator, (which is Canada's equivalent of Fedex or UPS) or via EMS.

Robert

Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered Macbook with 4Gb of memory and spare battery from B&H in NY.
    I will be able to test the Sinarback when it arrives.

Do you know how long I can shoot tethered with one Macbook battery?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Depends if the Sinar back is drawing power from the laptop or it has it's own power. Something i don't know and actually want to know that for my Phase back also.

Can someone gives us a rundown on this on each back if it actually draws power from the laptop or just connects.

thsinar

Evgeny,

that's difficult to say. But when the batteries are new and under normal temperature conditions (around 20C), it should be about 1,5 to 2 hours.

Don't set any power saving option in your Mac System Preferences "Energy Saver": set both the "Power Adapter" and the "Battery" to "Better Performance"

And yes, Guy the SB 54M/MC does take the power from the Mac, but cannot also be powered separately by an external 12V power supply/battery.

Best regards,
    Thierry

I just ordered Macbook with 4Gb of memory and spare battery from B&H in NY.
    I will be able to test the Sinarback when it arrives.

Do you know how long I can shoot tethered with one Macbook battery?

Post Thanks / Like

Thierry, thank you for this Better Performance trick, I think this is very helpful.

I expected Macbook battery to die after 2.5-3 hours of shooting, good to know that it will run shorter. Anyway I can use a spare battery to get 3 hours when shooting on location and buy more batteries for long events.

Thank

thsinar

Evgeny,

take this as a guesstimate, it can be that you can go a bit longer. However, I would suggest not to use the back if the batteries are under 1/3 of full capacity: it can be that this "corrupts" the files in some way.

Best regards,
    Thierry

Thierry, thank you for this Better Performance trick, I think this is very helpful.

I expected Macbook battery to die after 2.5-3 hours of shooting, good to know that it will run shorter. Anyway I can use a spare battery to get 3 hours when shooting on location and buy more batteries for long events.

Thank

Post Thanks / Like

Thierry, how "corrupted" files look on the macbook display?
    What indicates that a file is "corrupted"?
    So, I will not forget to immediately replace the battery.

thsinar

If the power voltage is not strong enough anymore, the files may be affected. They will not be corrupted in the sense that one cannot open them, but they may show some kind of lines/streaks.

Thierry

Thierry, how "corrupted" files look on the macbook display?
    What indicates that a file is "corrupted"?
    So, I will not forget to immediately replace the battery.
    Last edited by thsinar; 28th June 2008 at 00:42.

Post Thanks / Like

Thierry, I see. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I received the 54M back and Macbook this morning. Both packages knock to my door within 15 minutes

I downloaded CaptureShop 5.6.1.
    Connected the back to macbook and shot test images.

All images have green cast.
    Should I change some parameters in CaptureShop?
    Please guide me

thsinar

Dear Evgeny,

not a big deal: simply put a grey card or a Macbeth card in the scene, in one of the images and use the "Neutral" pipette to click on it to calibrate and white balance your back. This calibration will then apply on the follwing images shot.

You can use this white balance (neutral) until the light changes. By any new light situation, it is recommended to proceed the same way by doing a balance on a 18% grey.

Best regards,
    Thierry

I received the 54M back and Macbook this morning. Both packages knock to my door within 15 minutes

I downloaded CaptureShop 5.6.1.
    Connected the back to macbook and shot test images.

All images have green cast.
    Should I change some parameters in CaptureShop?
    Please guide me

Post Thanks / Like

Thierry, thanks. I don't have a gray card, will try something.

I got the following message when open CaptureShop with attached 54M: "you should install or create sensor reference for this Sinarback to obtain maximum image quality". What should I do, step by step?

thsinar

Dear Evgeny,

yes, this message is normal: each back/sensor comes with a CD on which you can find the so-called "Reference Files" of this particular back/sensor.
    YOu will find on the CD either the files as such, which you simply copy in the following folder in your "USERS":

- "Users" ---> "Library" ---> "Application Support" ---> "Sinar" ---> "Captureshop" --->"Calibration" ---> "Shading" (copy in this foder).

Or then there is an installer on this same CD which does the installation of the same files for you: double-click it and follow the steps appearing on the screen.

If you don't have the CD anymore, you can have a copy of it by asking either the distributor in your country or contact our Sinar Tech Dpt.
    However, there is a handling fee charged for this.

It is possible to work and capture images without these files installed, but it is not recommended, since it can create sometimes images with various artifacts on it. So better install it.

On a side note: there is a online "Captureshop HELP" when opening Captureshop: go to the Menu bar, select "Help" and "Captureshop Help" from the drop-down menu. For this it needs to install the "Sinar Captureshop Help" installer, which can be downloaded from our webpage, if you are registered in our "Sinar Owners' Group". If not registered yet, and to have access to the "Download" section, please go to our webpage and go to the "Login" section. There fill-in the form and details asked, with the serial number of your back, and click the "send" button: it will generate an automated reply with a "User Name" and "Password" to access the "Downloads".

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Thierry

Thierry, thanks. I don't have a gray card, will try something.

I got the following message when open CaptureShop with attached 54M: "you should install or create sensor reference for this Sinarback to obtain maximum image quality". What should I do, step by step?