The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad @ 800mm

jecxz

This post is duplicative of my post @ http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com and I thought I'd share my results here.

I've been testing the Hasselblad HTS over the past several months and I am extremely happy with the results. While I do not use it all the time, I find it to be a necessary part of my landscape gear. I've primarily used my HTS with the 28mm through 100mm lenses.

However, in my testing of the HTS, I attached it to my HC 300mm with the 1.7x in between (300mm + 1.7x + HTS). I did not think the results would be any good given the number of elements the light has to travel through.

However, I was quite surprised. My H3DII39 (and Phocus) shows the combination to be 800mm, and I did a series of additional tests to determine the quality of the combined glass. Below are samples from those tests at various f-stops (mind you these are not portfolio keepers or award winning shots - I specifically selected some random car for the words on the back and the sign on the left):

800mm @ f11

800mm @ f16

800mm @ f64

800mm @ f90

I saved these as 100% JPG to eliminate data loss from compression and the sharpness in Phocus was set to 300/2.0/0/10 - no changes were applied in Photoshop except my copyright, 16 bit to 8 bit, and the Save for Web (to JPG). There's a slight discoloration at the license plate in the f64 and f90 shots; I do not know why. The focusing is very tight and I needed to be precise since the slightest twist pulled me out of focus.

I will perform additional tests shortly by switching the order of the HTS and the 1.7x and check to see if the results are better, worse or how they differ. (PM me if you're interested). Again, I'm pleasantly surprised by these results and it's good to know I have 800mm with my Hasselblad gear. The HC[D] glass is quite good (and perhaps under rated by some).

Kind regards,
Derek Jecxz
http://www.jecxz.com
http://www.facebook.com/derek.jecxz.photographer

PS: I did not feed the sheep.

Udo

Derek, good job and impressive results, much better than expected. How did you support this setup? Any additional support to tackle the camera's moment of inertia?

Regards from the Red Sea,
Udo

jecxz

Hi Udo,

I supported the setup on the tripod collar on the 300mm. It was very well balanced.

Kind regards,
Derek

jlm

Workshop Member
I'm going to try this, looks like fun. mine will be with the 210, 1.7, HTS, though ;(

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I'm unclear here. You say 100% JPGs. I assume you mean 100% quality rather than 100% crop.

Could you post 100% crops, for instance of the license plate for each of the above views? Hard to tell much about the quality from these <1 megapixel images.

Wind it in Doug. :/

Derek is simply saying he has found a way to get 800mm on his camera.

Yes it is using a combo we don't recommend, but I'd it gets a shot that would otherwise be impossible, who cares?

I don't think Derek's post was a 'wow look at the quality', but more of 'this works for my needs'.

You must also respect Derek would not use a combination that would compromise his quality based on the required output.

David.

yaya

Never tried this but can you use two teleconverters with the 300mm? Might be a bit dark for focusing but will it be free of vignetting etc?

1.7X1.7X300X1.5= 1,300mm

jecxz

Never tried this but can you use two teleconverters with the 300mm? Might be a bit dark for focusing but will it be free of vignetting etc?

1.7X1.7X300X1.5= 1,300mm
I'm reviving this old thread because I actually just tried this combination! A local camera shop had a used 1.7x converter and I did a series of tests. Not sure if I'd ever use the 3 lens combination (I didn't purchase it), however, you never know how else it can be used for (creatively speaking). It was difficult to focus; here are two examples, but they've been Saved to Web and scaled to 1024 wide, so use your imagination, I guess?

100mm + two 1.7x's - 6 sec @ f16 (effective 280mm)

300mm + two 1.7x's - 11 sec @ f25 (effective 850mm)

Kind regards,
Derek Jecxz
www.facebook.com/derek.jecxz.photographer

stngoldberg

I use two 1.7 extenders on my 300mm quite often for wildlife shots mounted on my tripod. It does take patience to focus-but the results rival any of my Nikon 500mm results with a 1.4 extender I have posted before on this site with this information. Because the Hasselblad is limited to a shutter speed of 1/800, sec the setup is only user friendly if the wildlife is at rest: however the huge prints attainable wow everyone that I show them to

Stanley

jecxz

Hi Stanley,

I did not know this! I saw Yair's post a while ago asking about the combination and finally tried it. Glad to hear it's commonly used. Can you please post some links? Be well.

Kind regards,
Derek

I use two 1.7 extenders on my 300mm quite often for wildlife shots mounted on my tripod. It does take patience to focus-but the results rival any of my Nikon 500mm results with a 1.4 extender I have posted before on this site with this information. Because the Hasselblad is limited to a shutter speed of 1/800, sec the setup is only user friendly if the wildlife is at rest: however the huge prints attainable wow everyone that I show them to

Stanley