The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

problem with an "Old" mamiya 80 macro on a DF...

archivue

a friend of mine is using a 80 m645 macro on his new Mamiya DF.

it works great, and suddenly nothing works anymore, he then needs to shut down the camera and "initialized" it with a more recent lens.

any idea of what's going on ?

thanks !

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Known bug in 1.14 DF firmware. Consult with your dealer to get 1.21 firmware and the problem will vanish.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Jérôme.E

Hi
I have the same problem with mine and even with "re-initializing" it doesn't work right away... I was planning to launch a thread tonight ;-)
So TechniCinePhot (dealer in Paris) gonna see me soon... tomorow!!
Thanks a lot
@ Archi where did you buy yours?

archivue

@ Archi where did you buy yours?

he bought it from prophot...

it looks like you need the vertical grip with AIR for the update... ?

archivue

Firmware Updater Version 3.0
The Phase One Firmware Updater application can be used to update your Phase One digital back or the Phase One 645 DF camera with new firmware.
The digital backs are updated via the Firewire port. The 645 DF camera is updated via the USB port on the vertical grip. If you do not have a Phase One vertical grip, please contact your dealer, and he will be able to help you with updating the 645 DF camera.
Firmware Updater 3.0 for Mac or Windows is available from: www.phaseone.com/download
The Firmware Updater does not in itself contain any firmware - it will check online and fetch the latest relevant firmware packages for your device. It is also possible to update using special firmware packages (.fwr file) by direct drag and drop to application.
When you start the Firmware Updater application it will detect the digital back or the camera attached.
Installation
Mac
Open the zip file and copy the FWUpdater application to your Applications folder. Double-click the icon to start the FWUpdater app.
Windows
Open the zip file and run the FWUpdater.msi installer, following the steps described. When installation completes, run the program from Start->Phase One-> Firmware Updater.
Updating firmware in your digital back
[Steps for updating are the same on both Mac and Windows - screenshots come from Mac version]
For instructions on updating the 645DF camera please go to the section at the end of this document describing the process.
Connect your Digital Back to the computer via firewire, making sure it’s Power Save option does not automatically shutdown the back during the update process. Also make sure there is no CF card in your Digital Back.
The firmware updater will automatically check online for a new version of firmware and present you with a button to download it if not already done. If available, you can choose older firmware releases from the dropdown menu in the main window.
Once a version of the firmware has been downloaded it will be saved locally, and you will not need to download that version of Firmware again (see screenshot on next page).
After download of the new firmware you will have access to the release notes by clicking the same button (now named “Release Notes”) as shown in the right screen dump.
A comparison of your Digital Back’s firmware and the latest firmware will be shown in the main window, with icons indicating what action is to be taken on each component.
Component will be updated Component is already up-to-date Component will be downgraded Certain components (marked “--“) cannot be updated, and so will not have an icon.
Now simply press the Update button to start the update process.
Whilst updating, a cog icon will appear next to the components as they are updated, and a progress bar will be displayed showing how far through the process you are. Please be patient – the process can take several minutes.
When the update is successful, all components will be marked with the green tick icon. If the update fails, simply disconnect your Digital Back and reconnect it again. If all the components are ticked then it was successful despite the error. If some components are still not updated then repeat the procedure described above.
Known Error Note ! : Some users have experienced that the back gets into a continuous loop of beep tone after update of the firmware component PAVR. The updater will ask you to disconnect and then reconnect the power/firewire. After repowering, the digital back will work normally, and update will complete.
2/4
Updating firmware in your 645DF camera via the V-Grip USB port
[Steps for updating are the same on both Mac and Windows - screenshots come from Mac version]
Mount your V-Grip on the camera and connect it to the computer’s USB port (a 5 pole Mini USB connector is located in the battery compartment, just next to the Channel selector). Make sure you have a fresh Li-Ion battery or AA batteries installed, and that the battery selector is in the right position. This is important to avoid the camera running out of power during the update process. Also make sure the camera is switched on.
The firmware updater will automatically check online for a new version of firmware and present you with a button to download it if not already done.
Once a version of the firmware has been downloaded it will be saved locally, and you will not need to download that version of Firmware again.
After downloading the new firmware you will have access to the release notes by clicking the same button (now named “Release Notes”) as shown in the right screen dump.
Unfortunately you will not be able to see the current firmware version of your camera body, but you can check this on the camera lcd by setting the camera mode selector to CF and turn the front dial to custom function 99
To update the camera to the selected firmware simply press the Update button.
Whilst updating, a cog icon will appear next to the MAIN component, and a progress bar will be displayed showing how far through the process you are. Please be patient – the process can take several minutes.
3/4
When the update is successful, the MAIN component will be marked with the green tick icon. If the update fails, simply disconnect the USB and reconnect it again, and repeat the procedure described above.
Working Offline
If you need to update and/or downgrade your Camera or Digital Back whilst disconnected from the Internet you can use the File->Download Updates menu. This lets you save all the available versions of the Firmware locally, so that when your computer is disconnected from the Internet they will all be available.
Versions menu showing 4.8.8 is local and selected, and 4.8 needs to be downloaded
You can find the downloaded Firmware release files in the following folder:
Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Phase One/Firmware Updater/Firmware Cache/ WinXP: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\PhaseOne\FWUpdater\FirmwareCache\ Win7: C:\ProgramData\Phase One\FWUpdater\FirmwareCache\
4/4

Jérôme.E

Your dealer can do it... but how long he's going to keep the camera, I don't know?
I'm asking mine and telling you
A+

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Known bug in 1.14 DF firmware. Consult with your dealer to get 1.21 firmware and the problem will vanish.

Newsletter | RSS Feed
So presumably that would explain why my 50 shift & 300/5.6 sometimes lock up my 645DF too? It happened with the original 1.01 firmware I had and wasn't fixed by the 1.14 I installed in December. When did 1.21 sneak out?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Your dealer can do it... but how long he's going to keep the camera, I don't know?
I'm asking mine and telling you
A+
Dealers should take 1-2 business days to turn it around, or while you wait if you're able to go in person. It's a quick operation (assuming you have a v-grip air which dealers should).

Graham: recently. No sneaking - it's available at phaseone.com publicly. Though it could have been better publicized. Yes: 1.21 should solve your occasional lockups with those manual lenses.

Newsletter | RSS Feed

archivue

It's a quick operation (assuming you have a v-grip air which dealers should).

no V-grip available in Prophot Paris... they have one in order...