The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

handheld mfdb?

Geoff

Agreed on the magic moment. I lock up the mirror and just click away with the leaf shutter, and usually (as you say) the 3rd one is good....

As to WLF and holding steady: the neck strap. Does wonders. Even pushing (pulling?) against it to steady the camera works.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Don't forget also that good technique makes all the difference. Rolling your finger on to the shutter release and not pushing/stabbing it is an art well worth perfecting for sharp handheld shots. I agree with Bill and others that the mass of the system can help with stability and shooting a multi frame burst also increases your odds significantly.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Well, not that hard... A Peak 22x loupe and a light table is plenty.
Throwing four pieces of film up in a 4x4 grid with a 22x loupe on each and cross referencing the aperture used to analyze the effect of diffraction?

In the days of digital thats "select first - hold shift - select last - hold shift - double click (to zoom to 100%)" and then look under each image for the metadata of the aperture.

That's rather my point. In the days of film it was easier to say "yeah that's sharp" because "pretty sharp" looks "sharp" until you see "really sharp" right next to it.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

SergeiR

In my experience (at least with wide angle lenses) I can shoot all day at 1/15 sec hand-held
You are scary :)

I can do "normal" or a bit longer lens shots at 1/15, with success ratio of like 1:3, but it takes hell out of me... Most of it not b/c of shake though, but b/c i am tiring up and starting to do mistakes when recompose - pulling too much in or out.

Generally speaking if your hands are "fresh" - heavier body of MF + lens + DB is better handling "handshake" than light 35mm or cropped dSLR. But once day go by - it grows on ya.. So do bulging muscles on arms and legs...

gsking

Don't forget that MFDB's, especially older ones, prefer ISO100 or even ISO50. This is 3x the shutter speed as ISO160 film. That can bite you if you're not careful.