The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Your favorite compact

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Sorry Shelby, another vote for M4/3rds. With my MF kit and no 35 DSLR any more, I find the flexibility and size of the Panny GH2 *perfect* for everything I don't want to use the MF kit for. No, it won't fit in my shirt pocket, but it's compact enough for my needs and does make very, very nice 16x20 prints.

Don Libby

Keeping with the Leica theme...

Choices in order of my preference:

1. V-Lux 2 - Jpeg & RAW Movies 14MP 4320x3240 with a 35mm lens equivalent of 25-600mm. Around $849

2. D-Lux 5 - Jpeg & RAW & Movies 10MP 3648x2736 with a 35 mm lens equivalent of 24-90mm. Around $800

3. V-Lux 20 - Jpeg only & Movies 14MP 4000x3000 with a 35mm lens equivalent of 25-300mm. Around $700. (I personally don't like this as it doesn't offer RAW format)

I came very close to the Lux 2 as I was making my mind up about a small walk around and in the end decided on the X1.

Remember I am the/a super enabler ... (Actually I thought I was the senior enabler - guess Jack changed the title again :D )

Don

Don Libby

I will admit to liking Ken's GF1 setup when I played with it last year. The system small yet offers great image quality and room to grow as it had interchangeable lenses.

Don

ptomsu

Workshop Member
After using Dlux3 and Dlux4 for some time I bought a M43 EP2 last January, which immediately started to become my favorite high quality compact (I shoot only RAW even with that type of camera).

I tried the NEX5 last summer, but even as this camera is very small and IQ is pretty ok, I do not like it and will give it to one of my kids.

I bought the GH2 some weeks ago and this camera is not really a compact, but it is the first more serious DSLR (EVF based) I started to take always with me on business travel, because it is so nice and small even with kit lens and has not much weight.

I think that M43 has a huge potential here and maybe if a GF3 with the GH2 sensor (or however this one will be called) comes to market, I will take this one as my favorite compact.

So another big vote for M43!

Audii-Dudii

I'll offer another vote in favor of an m4/3 body with the 20mm Panasonic lens on it. In some ways, in fact, I still prefer using my m4/3 gear to my MF digital gear, but there is no question the IQ isn't nearly as good...

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I'll offer another vote in favor of an m4/3 body with the 20mm Panasonic lens on it. In some ways, in fact, I still prefer using my m4/3 gear to my MF digital gear, but there is no question the IQ isn't nearly as good...
I only can back this statement. Today I was on the road with my H3D39 and the GH2. Guess what I used all the time? The GH2, as it is soooo much lighter and to carry and shoot than the H3D.

But for sure there are situations and jobs there MFD is the only way to go!

arashm

Ok
I thought we are recommending a in-expensive point and shoot.
In that case I do have to admit that along side my S95 I also have a GF-1 with a 20 and 14-45
But based on myself I know this kit is already too big for my better half to lug around.
So...
The new E-PL2 also looks really good, In body IS and On board flash, two big check marks in my book.
am