The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya ZD 22 MP Digital Back...?

itsskin

+1 to everything said above. I use it with RZ 67 Pro IID and 645 AFD III and very pleased with quality it delivers, when used right.
645+80/2.8+ZD

SergeiR

Aha.. found one of composites.. Here is ZD and D700 (which is to my opinion remains best dSLR in 35mm to the day), shot with same light. Not hard to see where ZD is (b/c of DOF), but if you look closely at shades and transitions you will notice that "extra" stuff with MF characteristics and extra smooth transitions. Both are 14 bit, as i must remind you.

afaik its 35/2 Nikkor and 65/2.8 (older, non L-S version) on 645AFD + ZD

SergeiR

Sergei, how close are the histograms? The detail difference in the armrest is pretty impressive.
If i remember correctly (bear with me - it was 1.5 years ago) - it was expo-pair, and iso was like 100. Of course iso nowdays is relative..

Histogramms will be different b/c of slightly different crop of scene. But in think Nikon should be leaning here towards left a bit. But then again - nothing was pulled. I HATE pulling shadows and highlights.. So its pretty much "as is " conversion in C1. 5Pro

I dont think i have originals anymore unfortunately - just found this on harddrive when was cleaning things up. We had argument with folks back then that you "cant tell difference no more and its still 14 bits"... ;) I made shots, posted and then removed ;) Didnt want any wars.

mvirtue

We had argument with folks back then that you "cant tell difference no more and its still 14 bits"... ;) I made shots, posted and then removed ;) Didnt want any wars.
:ROTFL:

It's funny 2 months ago I'd have thought the same thing :) I have seen the light and it's not reflected off a 24mmx36mm piece of wafer.

SergeiR

Well thing is - if you know where to look - you can see where MF plays. If you dont - then most of time all you see is shallower DOF which many people keep referring as 3D looks, which is wrong.

Whole reason for 3D-ness is that gradations are better, so with good light it is possible to create more "depth" in image but using light and shadows.

For me transition was affected by portraiture, b/c i like to shoot lower half of curve , and thus - shadows are important to me. And i hate blotched pieces of skin on model's jawbones that do come as result of bad tonal transitions.

And i dont care for high ISOs most of time. And noise.. hah.. i can make pictures from D700 look as grated cheese pile on its native 200 iso, if i create light situation it cant handle. And i do those a lot ;)

So ZD for a great step up. Plus it was going back to more comfy 4:3 format.

This is SB900 , Kacey dish, ZD + AFD.. (yes, i know.. its abomination of setup ;))

Sarnia

Leica M9 + W.A.T.E. vs Mamiya ZD + 28mm D?

I've had Mamiya ZD back for a few months now and have been really impressed by the images I've been getting with the Mamiya 28mm D lens. My only gripe is the size and weight of this outfit! So, my question to those of you who have a ZDb or Phase One P21+/P25+ is this: can the Leica M9 (with either a 24mm Elmarit or the W.A.T.E) match the quality of the files that I'm currently getting with the 28mm D? I primarily shoot cityscapes but with a M9 I'd hope also get back in touch with my artistic side.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Mark

Last edited:

SergeiR

Problem with the RZ67 ProII Medium Format Camera
MAMIYA ZD BACK DISPLAY FULL LIGHT (NO PICTURE) IN
:confused::rolleyes:

1) which plate. AFDII is not a plate. Its a body.
2) ZD back wont work on ProII without plate with power triggering cable.

(oh damn, i just figured how to get my ZD to work on LF camera.. !)

SergeiR

That will look like quite the franken-LF with a mamiya plate to get the wake up signal to the ZD back.
Oh i am not going to use plate itself.. I just need wake up signaling bits, so i can soldier it ;) Time to find voltmetering device and do some testing to figure out signal travel schematics ;) I already got mounting plate for 645 back, that i am using with Leaf, but Leaf didnt need electric connections.. So i can either hack this adapter in situ or make own connector. Sounds like next project, once i done with revamping speed graphics into aged copper steampunk camera (i am going completely nuts on this one) ;) That should give me ability to do up to 1/1000 with barrel lenses and MF back, once i figured how to trigger this thing ;)

cep

The Belgian importer (www.servix.be) repairs most Mamiya products, presumably also the ZD (I hope so, I own a ZD back!). They speak English. Good luck!

Charles

Sefarino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sefarino
Problem with the RZ67 ProII Medium Format Camera
MAMIYA ZD BACK DISPLAY FULL LIGHT (NO PICTURE) IN