Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Special Announcement: Phase One new IQ backs

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Special Announcement: Phase One new IQ backs

I was thinking more along the lines of:

Companies like Arca could introduce a new, simpler "Rota" product to live alongside of the Rotaslide, since the "slide" will not be needed by many photogs.

The advantage of internal rotation is that the screen and buttons will stay in the same locations. The disadvantage is that the screen will be in landscape orientation still, when you are shooting portrait orientation.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I'm with you on the percentages . Just give me hard numbers so i can cry about in a normal manner. LOL
    Yes, we need the cross/upgrade $$$ info for P40+ to IQ140 otherwise it's going to get ugly around here!!!

Rafa

I understand we all are struggling to justify this in our budget for the year. Dang, I just got the V-grip for the DF and spent mucho dinero on Nikon gear and I thought that was it for the year but I for one applaud all the new improvements including the lcd, touch interface, semi live-view, enclosed battery, etc ... and I'm looking forward to getting my grubby hands on one to take it for a spin.
    Just sayin ...

Rafa

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rafa View Post
    ... and I'm looking forward to getting my grubby hands on one to take it for a spin.
    Just sayin ...

Rafa
    Pigs, Rafa. Come play with the Pigs...

Rafa

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    Pigs, Rafa. Come play with the Pigs...
    Ken,
    Absolutely!! Wouldn't miss it for the world Pigs rule!

Rafa

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Phase One have done an excellent job of shifting the product specification benchmark up and adding serious differentiation from their competitors to their backs.

I have to say that introducing the new LCD and other enhnancements across the range of megapixels is a very good thing. Typically companies introduce the enhancements via their highest margin product - and then slowly introducing the same down the line. Phase has been very good in giving buyers a choice.

My intereest in MFD backs is prinicipally for tech camera use - in particular the Alpa. The LCD and focus verification tech will make any of these backs so much easier to use in this form.

Well done Phase One - it takes a lot to tempt me... If only I could use one on my Hy6 as well as Alpa...

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm ... I'm about as frugal as they come (No, seriously!), but the possibility of having a passable "Live View" feature available to compose and focus could very well tempt me to switch gears and pop the bucks to move from my Contax 645 to a tech camera outfit. Alas, most of my photography these days is done at night and a 60-second exposure limit just won't cut it for me regardless of how well these backs perform otherwise... <sniff, sniff>

Post Thanks / Like

awesome! now to wait for Hasselblad to bring something similar out
    www.williamophuis.com

Hassy H4D-40.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Will Ophuis View Post
    awesome! now to wait for Hasselblad to bring something similar out
    Indeed awesome back. However, is not a serious question of when we can get to see Leaf backs based on same technology? With Leaf being owned by Phase One one could wish that they will share this technology and even components but implement a'la Leaf. That would be interesting

Regards
    Anders

Post Thanks / Like

Live view in any flavor along with the focus mask sounds too good to be true. Can hardly wait to slap this thing on the back of my tech camera. My biggest problem is slight focus and DOF misteps which sound like they will pretty much be eliminated.

Makes me wonder how many batteries I'll need to carry around to get through the day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Brittenson View Post
    Am I correct in assuming a ZD back won't qualify for a 22% discount?

Jan - no you are not correct. The ZD back will indeed generate a 22% discount from either an IQ140, IQ160, or IQ180.

I like the percent idea, it elminates the need for any comprehensive (and complicated) upgrade pricing charts. Of course, you do need a calculator. Or just ask us, we have all the numbers memorized already!

Steve Hendrix
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar Authorized Reseller

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, will an Aptus 12 entitle me to 80% off of the IQ 180 list price? Thanx for the info!

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic!
    Finally someone has taken some money in their hands and improved MFDBs!
    Everything but an Alpa in front would be blasphemy, though ;-)

By the way, it's a 81mm display with 800 x 480 Pixels resolution, it's common in smartphones and works quite well there.

Post Thanks / Like

I recently had the honour of being invited by Phase to run a demo shoot for a group of Phase One Partners right here in Dubai.
    During the shoot, mid afternoon on a sunny day, one of the dealers asked how it handled shooting into the sun, so I did just that. Shot a model wearing a black shaggy hat with the sun directly in frame. Frankly, I was stunned. Peach smooth skin tones, lots of detail in the black hat and NO blooming from the sun. (IQ180 and 110mmLS).
    The screen truly is something to behold. It is sharp and tonally rich enough to make both exposure and compositional decisions from. The zoom in function is FAST - faster than my MacPro tower. Apparently this is because the back can access data from the card much faster.
    Tech cam buffs are going to love this back. Unfortunately, the unit I was shooting with was a prototype and not tech cam enabled, so I couldn't slap it on the Alpa. However, the detailed screen, fast zoom and focus mask alone make this very very exciting. Alas I couldn't test the live view but I am told its gonna rock my world.
    Another function that will help us enormously is a bi directional electronic level.The data from this is also embedded in the file, so you can auto-level in C1 later.
    The legendary case strength is still there. Whilst he's no elephant,I have pictures of Poul Husum from Phase standing on a back on a tiled floor.
    First impressions are VERY positive.
    Cheers,
    Siebel
    "In the end, it's all about the pictures"
    www.bryansiebel.com

Ronan

Funny how everyone is so hype about the LCD...

In the DSLR world we are fighting companies NOT to put touchscreen, and to keep the LCD's under control...

But hey... give it a couple more years and we will be watching movies on our widescreen DSLR/DMF camera's while shooting...

Post Thanks / Like

I actually never understood WHY it took so long to incorporate such screens into MFDBs! Apple has shown this technology already 4 years ago when they introduced the iPhone. So it took 4 more years to come close to that for MFDBs.

I simply call that IGNORANCE - sorry.

Thanks god we have finally arrived there!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Good question, just bad that it doesn't help me, after I spent already 40k in EURs on a P65, but well that was more like 22 months ago
    Look on the bright side Chris, you still have an awesome back, which is probably worth as much as the Phase trade in value on the open market.
    Siebel
    www.bryansiebel.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's why I want to know how much a P45 gets me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    That's why I want to know how much a P45 gets me
    My understanding of the offer is that it will get you 45% off the price of the new back.
    Just remember that none of the new backs have the long exposure capability of the P45+
    As for its open market resale value, some online research will probably help. A chat to your dealer might be a good idea too. Our values here in the Middle East are a little different from your part of the world, so any ideas I might have don't count.
    My personal view as a pro shooter is that it is worth finding a way to trade up, but you should reserve that decision until you have done more homework.
    Siebel
    www.bryansiebel.com

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by siebel View Post
    My understanding of the offer is that it will get you 45% off the price of the new back.
    Just remember that none of the new backs have the long exposure capability of the P45+
    As for its open market resale value, some online research will probably help. A chat to your dealer might be a good idea too. Our values here in the Middle East are a little different from your part of the world, so any ideas I might have don't count.
    My personal view as a pro shooter is that it is worth finding a way to trade up, but you should reserve that decision until you have done more homework.

Could not have said it better myself. I am looking into it also. I want the new tech. It maybe a lateral but that is okay. I love the P40+ sensor. Like the crop to be a bit less but i can deal with it.

My big problem with this outside of the money part, is on paper and I will know this week i am not seeing any downside to what they did to these backs. Yea maybe dual card slots and maybe a one or two other things but it is what we have been screaming for over 4 years. They actually did what we asked for. Sure the DF could use a completely new non film based body overall but the back, lenses and software I can't beat anywhere else. I'm sure a new body is down the road and i actually think the DF is pretty good not exceptional but workable for me.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprised Phase didn't provide some files along with their announcement until we can have some real world samples...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No worries Jack and I will have plenty for you end of the week. Trust us.

They actually have some basic ones on there website I believe at least that was what we where told
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just as information as far as I have been told, the upgrad price from a p65 to a IQ180 is 12000eur without taxes. In addition I was told there won't be any 40 to 40 or 60 to 60 upgrades .........

Post Thanks / Like

No worries Jack and I will have plenty for you end of the week. Trust us.

They actually have some basic ones on there website I believe at least that was what we where told

can't wait

hopefully by then I'll finish my garage sale..
    so I can add up those few percents that I always needed
    just not to walk away from a good deal

Post Thanks / Like

what no 60 to 60 upgrades? that's ridiculous!!!

I bought the P65+ in 6/10, missed the guarantee program by 3 months and now I have to pay 15,000 more for a new LCD (best feature I want) that due a long time ago!!

I can live with P65+!! What a disappointment!!

Maybe I should have stayed and use my Sony A900 instead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well perhaps its different in Otter countires but that is what my Dealer told me Today.

I am Not surre if i will Upgrade, i don't really see any sense in getting 20 more MP but it looks like the only option here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think the lateral stuff is still in the air. Lets wait for final confirmation on that too as i was looking at that as well as others are. Jack and I will certainly be asking these kinds of questions and i am sure the dealers are going around about this topic with Phase.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Santoso View Post

Maybe I should have stayed and use my Sony A900 instead.
    that is exactly what I did last 2 years.. used my Canons and basically rent Phase/Hassy when I needed it... now it's a different story altogether since the actress from our latest movie was nominated for Golden Globes we didn't win.. but at this point nomination for our movie is good enough excuse for me to finally go and get one of these Phase IQ backs

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't have any confirmation yet on the status of sideways upgrades. For my part, I am for it. I hope to know with more certainty later today or tomorrow.

Paul - that's an interesting take on the Aptus-II 12 to IQ180 upgrade. Well...it's a grey liner. 80% off, that follows the formula. It's not exactly a sideways, because it is not a Phase One product....

Hmmm....will be asking about this also. I'll get back to you.

Steve Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Steve,

Definitely more interested in a lateral upgrade more than anything else...

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Steve,

Definitely more interested in a lateral upgrade more than anything else...

ken
    Ditto for me as well. Just can't get to the IQ 160.

Post Thanks / Like

5 year warranty is included in $44,000.00 or is it extra $1000.00 per every year?

or does it come with 1 year warranty at 44,000.00$ and then
    additional $1000.00 x number of years?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    ... it looks like approximately $22K for the IQ140, ... The existing P40+ ... will remain in production at approximately $10K less than the equivalent IQ model.
    Even given some room with profit margins, if your existing P40+ now has a retail price of $12K, so maybe worth $10K as a refurb unit, then it would seem that the economics of a lateral trade-in program are not very promising.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JSK Rangefinder View Post
    5 year warranty is included in $44,000.00 or is it extra $1000.00 per every year?

or does it come with 1 year warranty at 44,000.00$ and then
    additional $1000.00 x number of years?

5 Year, Value Add Warranty is $4,000 additional on any IQ Series product. You also have the option of adding single year warranty, year by year, but I don't have confirmed pricing yet. Before this announcement, purchasing a one year extended warranty cost $699 ($1,499 with loaner provision) for <18MP product and $999 ($1,799 with loaner provision) on >22MP product.

Steve Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Arjuna View Post
    Even given some room with profit margins, if your existing P40+ now has a retail price of $12K, so maybe worth $10K as a refurb unit, then it would seem that the economics of a lateral trade-in program are not very promising.
    My very concern here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    how so? Do you think the 3fps live preview is sufficient to arrange and compose an image?

Currently I do it at 1frame per 10 secs with my Alpa ...

Shoot, adjust, delete

Repeat till I like.

3 fps will be a nice improvement.
    wayne
    My gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is extremely unsubstantiated at this point. In fact I would just say it is not real. Pricing has not changed on P+ product and I don't expect it to in the short term. If/when it does, I do not believe it would be that extreme.

Steve Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Steve I like you more and more everyday bud. LOL

Okay than my back is for sale 15k LOL

Post Thanks / Like

That would seriously break my heart specially it's been six months since i got my P40+
    Mohammad Al-Khamis

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Steve I like you more and more everyday bud. LOL

Okay than my back is for sale 15k LOL
    Scary truth - I paid less than that for a new P40+ !! However, if you can get $15k, I'll offer up a second one at that price.

There's definitely margin there for lateral MP upgrades. The IQ digital backs are more expensive then their Pxx+ brethren after all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Scary truth - I paid less than that for a new P40+ !! However, if you can get $15k, I'll offer up a second one at that price.

There's definitely margin there for lateral MP upgrades. The IQ digital backs are more expensive then their Pxx+ brethren after all.

There is margin, but apparently not much, because the discussions we've had so far, if this is offered, we the dealer are being asked to fork over a chunk of it if sidegrade orders are accepted. I am for giving up some margin for sidegrades because I feel if there is a new product that makes you want it, there should be a reasonable path to. But we're pushing for mercy.

Please do not use this post against me in future negotiations!

Sidegrades only!

Steve Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I paid over that back when. I can't come up with the right answers yet but there has to be a way we can upgrade and not go into the jail house. The P40 folks are having a tough time here from what I see. We all want the tech but maybe not the mpx and happy with our 40 what is the best answer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix View Post
    There is margin, but apparently not much, because the discussions we've had so far, if this is offered, we the dealer are being asked to fork over a chunk of it if sidegrade orders are accepted. I am for giving up some margin for sidegrades because I feel if there is a new product that makes you want it, there should be a reasonable path to. But we're pushing for mercy.

Please do not use this post against me in future negotiations!

Sidegrades only!

Steve Hendrix
    Steve most of us know this comes from the OEM and not the dealers and they just need to understand there current users dilemma here. I want the new tech but from my seat today i am looking at 10k for the same sensor to upgrade or 22k for the IQ 160. This is without any lateral movement. This is sell my back at hopefully 13k and buy my sensor back at 23k. now that is 10 k for the same sensor. Ouch my friend . Let me put it out real simple I would be willing and most of us would give our dealers 6 K in cash and our backs for a IQ 140. Now watch the line going out the dealers door.

Folks please understand I am just rapping here and don't take what i say to the bank. We are all sitting here running numbers and scenarios through our heads and see what makes sense. Steve no need to reply I know this puts you in a bad spot if someone did not understand the whole situation and numbers being tossed around is not always good for people.

Lets put this another way. I am a P40 owner i want a IQ 160 I will pay 22k for that upgrade for a extra 20 mpx. Now wait

The P65+ owner here want the IQ 180 upgrade he will pay 15K for 20 MPX..

Okay there is a disconnect here the P40 guy is paying a extra 7k than the P65 and he is getting the new sensor.

Sorry something is out of whack here. LOL Its the percentage to the P40 guy is 40 percent and the P65 guy is 65 percent. Give us the 65 percent TOO

I need to know the real difference here it is the same sensor why different percentage. You give me the 65 percent and you will see my *** move to a bank

Post Thanks / Like

I paid over that back when. I can't come up with the right answers yet but there has to be a way we can upgrade and not go into the jail house. The P40 folks are having a tough time here from what I see. We all want the tech but maybe not the mpx and happy with our 40 what is the best answer
    I think the same can be said with the P65 folks as well. And for me, it's not about the jailhouse as I don't have a mate to contend with---it's just that 60.5 MP fits me well, and I have my own personal theories about going up to 80MP that would not fit me well.

There's gotta be an attractive lateral upgrade offering----otherwise I might have to encourage/enable an angry italian to go over and beat some desks...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think the same can be said with the P65 folks as well. And for me, it's not about the jailhouse as I don't have a mate to contend with---it's just that 60.5 MP fits me well, and I have my own personal theories about going up to 80MP that would not fit me well.

There's gotta be an attractive lateral upgrade offering----otherwise I might have to encourage/enable an angry italian to go over and beat some desks...
    already thinking about it. LOL

Maybe I need more sleep first.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Jan - no you are not correct. The ZD back will indeed generate a 22% discount from either an IQ140, IQ160, or IQ180.
    I have never been so happy to be wrong before!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Audii-Dudii View Post
    Hmm ... I'm about as frugal as they come (No, seriously!), but the possibility of having a passable "Live View" feature available to compose and focus could very well tempt me to switch gears and pop the bucks to move from my Contax 645 to a tech camera outfit. Alas, most of my photography these days is done at night and a 60-second exposure limit just won't cut it for me regardless of how well these backs perform otherwise... <sniff, sniff>
    Agreed. In my eyes the capacity for an exposure longer than 1 minute outweighs any urge to sell my P45.

But please do send me a PM to explain how you are using the Contax 645 body for exposures longer than 32 seconds. I ended up buying a Cambo WDS since I couldn't find a solution with the electronics in the Contax 645 body.

Post Thanks / Like

Dammit.. i really really must stop reading this thread. I feel slipping..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    Dammit.. i really really must stop reading this thread. I feel slipping..
    I know! I took my Aptus out for a spin untethered and I sure wish I had focus mask...Slippery! Must.Not.Give.In!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any confirmation yet on the status of sideways upgrades. For my part, I am for it. I hope to know with more certainty later today or tomorrow.

Paul - that's an interesting take on the Aptus-II 12 to IQ180 upgrade. Well...it's a grey liner. 80% off, that follows the formula. It's not exactly a sideways, because it is not a Phase One product....

Hmmm....will be asking about this also. I'll get back to you.

Steve Hendrix
    Hi Steve, thanks for replying.

I don't understand the difference between sideways and lateral everybody's talking about.

Isn't it all already clearly laid out?

Phase One back = percentage according to name

Other brand back = percentage of megapixels.

It is stated that way on the page.

Ergo a Leaf Aptus 12 should entitle its owner to 80% off the list price?

And a p45+ should entitle to 45% off of any Phase One IQ back? Event the IQ140?

In that case I'm very tempted to get the IQ 180 since I really like the speedy preview, new screen and weather sealing features. I especially can now leave my laptop at home which is huge.

In my opinion phase one should be lenient on a case by case basis (for example with "grace grants" for people who just bought a p65+ before the value guarantee to be able to profit from it too) and very generous in letting people upgrade their systems to fair prices. This creates brand loyalty and trust. This is especially important for a camera that's worth as much as a luxury car and with a majority of users that aren't millionaires. Phase One prides itself in providing exceptional value protection for its users, but for example lowering all pXX+ backs by 10k in one sweep is not exactly that.

Thanks

Paul