The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I abandoned hope! Snapshots from my new Aptus II 6

S

Shelby Lewis

:D:D

Well, I'm now in the club... just got my afdiii, aptus ii 6 kit in last night. I'm under a deadline of sorts for a performance in Nashville on thursday (on baroque trumpet) so I'm not going to have time to really put the new gear to test for another week... but I did take it out to grab some snapshots of the kids playing this afternoon.

Yeah, the camera's a bit "slow", but I'm really happy with the interface on the aptus back, and it appears the AF is really accurate... and WOW, the color and resolution is just breathtaking coming from a 5dII. Even the old a900 system I loved so much doesn't come close to the amount of beauty in these files. What I really love is just how natural the colors look... no exaggeration of particular hues.

Random color treatments on these, so don't look for any consistency :eek:

AFDIII, Aptus II 6, and either the 80/2.8D or the 210/4 ULD.

Thanks for looking at my lowly snapshots!
Shelby

Terry

Well,
It didn't take you long to get the hang of it! Congratulations and enjoy it. And yes the focus does look spot on!

PeterA

Shelby - beautiful shots. Leaf colour in my experience (FWIW) is just great. the Mamiya body isn't optimal - so what? - use the stuff an make great photos.

Pete

Your family looks comfortable in front of a camera (at least one held by you). Very nice photos Shelby. You will do good with this kit and your talent.

S

Shelby Lewis

Josh... :thumbup:

Terry... there isn't that much to get used to with this kit! Set it to low ISO, and shoot in manual. Just my speed! One or two of these is manual focus I think, something I have NO experience with. That big viewfinder sure does make it easier!

Pete... I'm right there with you. I've been wanting to slow down for a long time with my shooting and I thoroughly enjoyed just taking my time this afternoon. I definitely now covet a DF body, but the slow-motion kerrchunk of the afdiii isn't quite as bad as I thought it would be. It'll do for now!

Don, I'm not listening to you.... :ROTFL:

S

Shelby Lewis

Your family looks comfortable in front of a camera (at least one held by you). Very nice photos Shelby. You will do good with this kit and your talent.
Thanks Mark :thumbup:
(much appreciated!)

fotografz

"Lowly" Shelby? With your talent, self deprecation doesn't quite work any more ... ;)

Very nice, natural looking images. Film like without all the trouble.

There is something about the right mix of certain lenses with certain backs with a certain pixel pitch ... and this combo looks to be one of them :thumbup:

I noted the same thing with the 9 micron backs with V lenses, and the 33 meg Leaf Aptus 7s and Mamiya RZ kit.

So, perhaps you've slide down the slippery slope as far as you need to? Perhaps more would actually be less?

Looking forward to more :) as you explore this kit and push yourself.

-Marc

robmac

Congrats - great looking images. Love the look of Mamiya glass and the Leaf skin tones are impressive. Also, given how well your daughter and a camera get along, it looks like she may have a future on a runway in Milan or Paris (don't know if that's good or bad..).

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Looking nice Shelby welcome to Dante's Inferno. You membership fee is due at the end of the month. LOL

S

Shelby Lewis

You all crack me up... "Ship of the Damned" :ROTFL:

Marc, I know what you're saying. I've only shot a handful of frames so far, but I really like the look coming out of this sensor/lens combo. I can't wait to try this back out with an RZ. I really don't want any more, other than I wouldn't mind a DF later on for the higher sync with the ls lenses. 28mp with nice color and outstanding sharpness (but somehow still smooth) is more than I'll ever need given my current needs as a photographer. I'm so bowled over by the quality (especially in relation to my 5dii) that it'll be a while before I look elsewhere. Fun!

Thanks Yair... will do.

Robmac... luckily, she's short and built like a gymnast... so I think runways are out of her future. Thanks for the kind words.

Guy... tell me about it. Check's in the the mail. :D

mvirtue

I'm so bowled over by the quality (especially in relation to my 5dii) that it'll be a while before I look elsewhere.
It is amazing isn't it. People gush over the 5DII or the 1DsIII but until you've handled one of the files produced by one of these backs (even old stuff like a ZD), you really haven't seen anything.

Wow, three patient kids. You're lucky. My eldest hates it, my youngest loves it.

Guy -- I owe you a check for last month, and this month they too have entered the perpetual "It's in the mail queue." :)

T

tetsrfun

It is amazing isn't it. People gush over the 5DII or the 1DsIII but until you've handled one of the files produced by one of these backs (even old stuff like a ZD), you really haven't seen anything.
A web jpeg will never convince the 1DsIII owner that you speak the truth. Even my lowly 16 MP files shot through a "V" lens still will make my jaw drop when compared to DSLR files.

Steve