The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rollei Schneider Super-Angulon AF/AFD 50mm vs. Rollei Zeiss Distagon 50mm FLE

BradleyGibson

Hi, all,

In terms of handling, these two lenses are quite different beasts, but I would like to know if anyone out there has experience with both of these lenses in Rollei mount?

I'm well aware of the differences on paper, and in marketing, but would like to hear thoughts on people who have actually used both in terms of bokeh, on- and off-axis sharpness, and exactly how inconvenient that third ring is on the Zeiss.

Many thanks,

David Klepacki

Brad,

I am familiar with the Rollei 50s. I owned the Hy6 system not too long ago and had to make the same choices. Technically, the Zeiss 50 FLE was the sharpest, but only marginally so, and is not the reason one chooses lenses for this camera system. I chose the 50 FLE because it was much smaller, lighter and easier to handle for me. However, I also had the 55 PCS, which is exactly the opposite (large, heavy and somewhat difficult to handle). I consider the 55 PCS as the "best" lens in this focal length range. This lens may show "poor" MTF on paper, but anyone who actually uses this lens will tell you that it has the most interesting rendering of light and that its "draw" has no equal. I love the look of that lens, and it was very difficult for me to part with it when I changed camera systems.

Having said that, the speed and autofocus ability of the 50 AF/AFD is also highly desirable, as it can shoot faster and more reliably in lower light than the other lenses. So, here are my recommendations for you:

If color, tonality and overall unique "look" are all important, then the 55 PCS would be my highest recommendation.

If low light performance and/or focusing speed is more important, then you should go with the 50 AF/AFD.

If size/weight and travel "friendliness" is more important, then the 50 FLE would be the right choice. In other words, if the compactness of the 50 FLE allows you to pack another lens or another body, then it may be worthwhile.

Lastly, the difference between 50 AF and 50 AFD are not necessarily different performers. There will be more variation in the older 50 AF lenses, whereas the 50 AFD are consistently sharp.

David

BradleyGibson

Interesting about the 55--I'm in the market for one but was not expecting its performance to be so good. That is great to know.

If you didn't notice a signficant difference in IQ between the FLE and the AF/AFD, then the other factors (speed, shutter speed, AF, no third ring) will push me toward the Schneider. I've had a couple of AFD 50's but have had problems with them, and had to return them. Before I tried again, I wanted to check on experiences with the FLE.

If, by any chance you have any test files from the two lenses available (ideally raw) I'd appreciate it if you would share the files with me.

Thank you, David--that is very helpful.

Best regards,