The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad vs Phase One

S

sadekkhalifa

Hi everyone,

I am interested in upgrading my equipment to Medium Format (MF) also I have a good budget to buy any type of MF camera and I’m not sure which MF camera to go for.
Can anyone tell me which is better camera of two above (camera body and lenses) overall, also I need to get a feedback whose have a good experience or someone who attended to workshops about Digital Back for (H4D vs P65+ vs IQ180) which is the best as I know I can put Phase One digital back into Hasselblad H4D camera or vice versa.
If anyone know that there is a comparison through the forums or website please tell me because I didn’t found any clear comparison test.
I know this may be a personal thing but anyone’s thoughts will be very welcome.

J

jamie123

I don't own any digital MF cameras but I've used a few before. I think you're asking a question that's impossible to answer. You shouldn't ask which camera brand is better but which brand offers a back that best suits your needs. And then, of course, you would have to tell us what your needs are. What's your preferred subject matter? What kind of lighting do you generally use? Do you need to do long exposures? etc. etc.

And as for camera bodies I think that, again, it highly depends on personal preference. Only you can know which one you prefer to use, which one feels best in your hands with the buttons in the right places.

Last but not least, if you're dropping that kind of money it would be foolish to base your decision on what you read on the internet. Contact your local Hasselblad and Phase One dealers and make an appointment to try out the cameras and backs. You wouldn't buy a car without a test drive, would you?

Oh, and no, you can't use Phase One backs on a H4D and vice versa. You can only use them on H1 or H2 bodies.

S

sadekkhalifa

Thank you Mr. Guy Mancuso for your reaction. And Mr. Woody Campbell, I didn't mean to be a troll but as i told you i will switch from 35mm to MF so i didn't have any background about the MF and the money isn't a big issue for me.
Back to Mr. jamie123, Thank you for your reply and your information about H4D didn't match with Phase One DB. Second thing, why do you think it is impossible to answer and you can see on my post that just i asked about your opinion. May you prefer to use Mamiya and other one also may prefer to use Phase One so this is just a discussion.
Last but not least, i used camera for fashion and portrait and i think the handling and the buttons isn't a big issue to me.
Eventually, why i post these discussion because i live in Saudi Arabia and there isn't any dealer near to me to test both brands and get final decision for what brand is better for me.

Best Regards.

Graham Mitchell

The backs are all very similar compared to the cameras, and all are available for most cameras too, so pick your camera and go from there. Which camera system has the lenses you need? Do you need very fast shutter speeds? Fast flash synch? Fast autofocus? Tilt/shift? etc.

Valentin

Last but not least, if you're dropping that kind of money it would be foolish to base your decision on what you read on the internet. Contact your local Hasselblad and Phase One dealers and make an appointment to try out the cameras and backs....

This the same like asking which one is better: Canon or Nikon?

There is no perfect system and as Jamie put it, this is a personal choice.

MY choice was to go with the Phase system (don't have the digital back yet). My reasons:

1. I liked the interface better (less menu interaction)
2. I could use different backs from different manufacturers
3. You can use focal and shutter lenses (depending on body and lens)

That doesn't mean YOU will like the system. Also, if you would be more specific on your application of it, you might get more answers since there is no perfect system out there.

fotografz

What, when, where, and how you shoot, plus what you do with the images afterwards, does have a direct bearing on how anyone here could advise you.

None of the existing choices do everything well, some do certain things better than others.

The Phase One backs are state of the art and include the best LCD available ... the camera is not state of the art. Prior to that, the Hasselblad H4D introduced True Focus APL which has remained unmatched for off-center AF, but now has the least capable LCD of any MFD choice.

If you do not like the current choices, just wait ... it'll change soon.

As to opinion:

I do not care for the Mamiya/Phase One camera, and prefer the H system for ergonomics, control, and features.

I also think that the 60 and 80 meg backs from anyone have challenged the existing systems, and have seen nothing to convince me that they all that much better for making photographs unless used with excruciating care. If spontaneity is even remotely of interest, take care.

To further the opinion bias ...

For the type of work you outline I'd select neither Phase One nor Hasselblad. In fact I didn't. Instead I chose the Leica S2P to replace some of my Hasselblad system (which is now used primarily in studio for product work).

For fashion type work and portraits I wanted more spontaneity and fluidity like that of a 35mm DSLR type form camera over what the modular MFD cameras provide ... and the S2 delivers that for me and what, where, when and how I shoot a majority of my work. It is also a fully dual shutter camera to use with a focal plane shutter or as a leaf shutter at will with all lenses (once the CS versions become available). One of the downsides of the S2 is price ... which isn't apparently isn't an issue for you ... another is scarcity of stuff for the system so far. But I have the S2P and three lenses which fills my need.

For what you shoot, it's worth a look.

-Marc

goesbang

Thank you Mr. Guy Mancuso for your reaction. And Mr. Woody Campbell, I didn't mean to be a troll but as i told you i will switch from 35mm to MF so i didn't have any background about the MF and the money isn't a big issue for me.
Back to Mr. jamie123, Thank you for your reply and your information about H4D didn't match with Phase One DB. Second thing, why do you think it is impossible to answer and you can see on my post that just i asked about your opinion. May you prefer to use Mamiya and other one also may prefer to use Phase One so this is just a discussion.
Last but not least, i used camera for fashion and portrait and i think the handling and the buttons isn't a big issue to me.
Eventually, why i post these discussion because i live in Saudi Arabia and there isn't any dealer near to me to test both brands and get final decision for what brand is better for me.

Best Regards.
I am currently running a Phase One P65+ and also a LEAF Aptus 12, as well as a P45+ in my architectural photography business. I've been shooting MF digital since 1995.
Firstly, lets deal with the backs. It is essential that you know what you want to shoot. I have a couple of friends who own H4D-60's and love them. They use a brand they are familiar with, the image quality meets their expectations and they do not anticipate wanting to use their back on a technical camera at any point in the future.
I earn over 90% of my income shooting with a technical camera, so any back I use must have this capability (to be mounted on a technical cam)and in an uncompromised way. In this regard, my P65+ is by far my favourite. The durability of my back is a big factor for me - I spend a lot of time on industrial sites and in the mountains hiking. I've spent a bit of time with the Blad back and whilst it is a quality device, I don't trust its durability.
The Leaf Aptus 12, with 80 Megapixels is the current image quality champion. The files have to be seen to be believed. Don't just fixate on the pixel count - the quality of the data and the combination with Capture One Pro are an unstoppable combo. I still prefer the Phase navigation but this could be because I'm very used to it. In any event, Leaf are launching a new interface soon.
Alas, if money is no object, there is only one back to consider - the just announced Phase One IQ180. I had the pleasure of shooting with this back just a week ago and I am still speechless. It is fast, incredibly easy to use, has a totally user-friendly interface and is as tough as nails. I even have a photograph of Poul Husum, area sales manager for Phase One, standing on one. Ask your Hasselblad dealer to do that!
The back I shot with was a prototype and still had some bugs but I would have bought it on the spot if I could. There are several threads about this back already, so I'll not prattle on more.
Cameras- Hmmm. Tougher call. When I retired my much loved Hasselblad V system about a year ago, I tested both Blad and Mamiya/Phase before I decided on the 645DF camera. I think the viewfinder is a little brighter, the Af is definitely faster (H3d vs DF). I prefer the look of the Blad, it's power options appear more attractive (not an issue now that I have a V-grip air) and I prefer how it feels in the hand. Fit and finish are also better on the Blad. Most decry the lack of a removable prism on the DF but working here in the Middle East, I see this as plus due to there being one less place for dust to get in. In the end, I'd say try both and choose the one that suits you best.
Be aware though, that Phase One are working on an all new camera that is their attempt to overcome the weaknesses of the DF, which like the Blad, is a new update of an old platform.
At the time of making my decision, I had access to 28, 80, 120Macro and 150mm lenses from both players. I very much prefer the look of the Blad - Man, their industrial designers rock. Still, to my surprise, the Phase lenses focussed faster, and 2 of the 4 were noticeably sharper. Since the release of all the new lenses from Phase one in the last year or so, I'm pretty happy I made the decision I did.
The reality is that the back is always the dearest part of the equation, so just buy the best. If I was to buy a Blad now (assuming I didn't like the DF, for whatever the reason), I'd still buy an IQ180 and put it on a H2 to avoid the firmware lockout nonsense of the H3 and H4. Several dealers are still selling H2's new but get in quick- now that the lawsuit between Phase and Blad is settled, H2 users know Phase can still support the mount........
It's a tough dilemma you face. Good luck.
Cheers,

J

jamie123

Both Phase One's and Hasselblad's website have a 'partner locator' and they both list "Ahmed Abdul Wahed Trading Co." as a partner in Saudi Arabia. Their website looks a bit sketchy, though.
Also, since you are spending a lot of money you might aswell consider taking a trip out of the country to visit a good camera dealer. Maybe a trip to Dubai to Siebel's dealer?
First hand experience is key when it comes to purchases such as these.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Woody,

You need to fly out and join us for another shoot, rare Porterhouse and a fine red to clear that East Coast weather irritability. It's sunny and clear today in CA.

Best,

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Woody, you need to fly out and join us for another shoot, steak and a fine red to clear that East Coast weather irritability. It's sunny and clear today in CA.

:D,
We're getting heavy freezing rain here. The only advantage of this part of the world is that we're not about to run out of water.

David Schneider

I guess we see these kind of questions all the time, which is better.

While it's reasonably easy to point out differences, it's harder to say which is better without knowing the type of photography the questioner does, the type of subjects, the conditions he/she photographs in, what the final product is, etc. etc. With that knowledge, those who have used both can give by far the best answers.

joegl

Best would be Phase forget about their camerabodys, and hasselblad forget about there backs, and both merge to Phassel one inc.:bugeyes:
that would be a burner

Joerg

Steve Hendrix

Best would be Phase forget about their camerabodys, and hasselblad forget about there backs, and both merge to Phassel one inc.:bugeyes:
that would be a burner

Joerg

I prefer the idea of Phase One coming out with a better camera and Hasselblad coming out with a better back. I'm sure both companies are working hard at this as we speak.

Let there be the possibility of Phase One developing a superior camera to the H4 and Hasselblad developing a superior back to the IQ.

No mergers! Choice, brother, choice!

Steve Hendrix

hcubell

I prefer the idea of Phase One coming out with a better camera and Hasselblad coming out with a better back. I'm sure both companies are working hard at this as we speak.

Let there be the possibility of Phase One developing a superior camera to the H4 and Hasselblad developing a superior back to the IQ.

No mergers! Choice, brother, choice!

Steve Hendrix
Absolutely. Isn't it ironic how Hasselblad's decision to "close" the H3D did not lead to photographers having fewer choices, as the pundits lamented back in 2006, but instead is inexorably leading to photographers having more choices. Unclear on the timing and we don't know exactly what Phase's new camera will look like, but it appears that we are heading toward a future with two, modern and really first class MF digital camera systems. Had Hasselblad not closed the H3D, it is entirely possible that the only remaining manufacturer of backs would be Phase, and Hasselblad would be the only one still making MF cameras, probably as a subsidiary of Phase.