Site Sponsors

Thread: IQ 180: first handling: to upgrade or not?

Post Thanks / Like

IQ 180: first handling: to upgrade or not?

I had a go with the beast today and like everyone else was pretty impressed. The screen is very nice and the ability to zoom to 100% or more and then pan around is really useful.

Assuming that the 80mp version has the following IQ benefits compared to a P65+:
    * about 1/3rd better DR
    * the extra resolution of 20mp more
    * slightly lower noise

I wondered whether the upgrade might make sense for me.

My take is as follows (I won't repeat what LL and Jack and Guy and Uwe and others have said...) and takes into account that the upgrade cost from P65+ including tax is likely to be in the region of £12,000

For tethered, studio use only, I wouldn't bother upgrading. I don't think I've ever needed more resolution, however tempting it always sounds, and with flash in the studio I am shooting at low ISOs and with very carefully controlled and monitored exposure, so the noise and DR benefits are probably marginal. The benefits of the lovely new screen are largely obviated by tethering, as long as you can get your monitor near your camera.

Therefore, for me, the reason to upgrade would all relate to outdoor and non-tethered shooting, where the benefits of the new features could really kick in. Now, it is too early to judge this because the units we have all used are prototypes and things will get faster and more feature rich but my initial take is that one would truly have to see the shipping version before placing an order. Why? Because on the prototype, with the CF card provided, there was a 10 to 12 second delay between pressing the shutter (and then double clicking the screen as soon as it displayed the shot) and the moment when you could see the fully resolved 100% zoomed image.

I have no doubt that that will get much faster.

Shooting non-tethered, the critical improvement of the new model, especially when mounted on a technical camera, will be: (for me)

* easier framing (doesn't need more than basic live view but does need it to work in bright daylight, which current model live view doesn't really)

* ability to set and check focus accurately, especially with movements.

Now, there is no implementation in the prototype of the Live View or the Focus mask, nor (I think) any clear indication that the focus mask will work in live view mode or that live view mode will be zoomable at full res. Let's assume for a moment that there may not be a real step-change in quality of live view from that available tethered on a P65+. IF that is the case, then for my money, with or without focus mask, it might be of limited use. For me, therefore, the process of setting and checking focus with movements would require a noticeably faster time from shot to full res full zoom view than we currently have in the prototype. When the light and the weather are changing and I am trying to get everything right (and take LCC shots too!), working in the field with movements needs EITHER good zoomable live view, preferably with focus mask, OR very fast full res review.

SO, much as I really really loved the look and feel of the new model (and really really like the simple fact that the back can be powered on by the camera body!) I won't be placing my order until I've seen the shipping implementation.

I'd imagine most people will be in the same boat. But for me the question is, will the 'early adopter upgrade pricing' window close before I can try a shipping version?

I know I want this new back... but I can't yet tell if I need it! But boy or boy, does that screen look great, and using it feel natural...

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: IQ 180: first handling: to upgrade or not?

with the CF card provided, there was a 10 to 12 second delay between pressing the shutter (and then double clicking the screen as soon as it displayed the shot) and the moment when you could see the fully resolved 100% zoomed image.

Very Strange Tim we did not see that at all. We where using Sandisk Exteme Cards and 3 seconds tops to see full res on screen. Must have been using a card not supported or something.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    with the CF card provided, there was a 10 to 12 second delay between pressing the shutter (and then double clicking the screen as soon as it displayed the shot) and the moment when you could see the fully resolved 100% zoomed image.

Very Strange Tim we did not see that at all. We where using Sandisk Exteme Cards and 3 seconds tops to see full res on screen. Must have been using a card not supported or something.
    Yup, I was expecting faster but this was also a sandisk extreme III as provided for the demo. I would say that a file already on the camera, when selected from the thumbnails, took about three seconds, but me and another photographer both timed the shot to zoom time several times and it was always 10-12 seconds. Mind you, this unit has travelled the world in the past few days so it might just be very tired!

Edit: I should add that this was all in full res rather than sensor plus mode.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In addition to the chance that guy/jack's CF card was simply faster there is also a chance of firmware variation.

With previous releases there have been more than one pre-release firmware and therefore no guarantee that ya'll were shooting a pre-release IQ180 with the same firmware.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very true and also our power management system was off so I certainly would not look into that in any bad way. They will NEVER deliver anything that is not up to the correct logical speed. Doug will be getting the same back( pretty sure) as we used so he can also double check this . But honestly it was faster than i thought it would be pushing a 80 mpx raw around. I would have bought our prototype in a heart beat but the power management system was not on so in the end it sucked batteries faster than i could count. Obviously that will get fixed
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah!... I didn't check the power management settings. If the shipping version zooms to 100% in three seconds or less I will likely end up getting one. Does anyone know if the focus mask is due to work in live view?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don't quote me but I think it does but I can check this. I'm not hesitating, damn thing rocked my world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Veni, Vidi, Emi
    -bob

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Does anyone know if the focus mask is due to work in live view?
    TBD

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
    Phase One Partner of the Year
    Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
    Newsletter | RSS Feed
    Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Post Thanks / Like

This is exactly my worry with the new IQ's.

It all sounds fantastic but I've not seen any proof of liveview working yet. I'm all set to jump on the early adopters price reduction promo but if liveview and focus mask doesn't quite work as promised then I'd prefer to save my money and go with a P+ back.

I'm buying for use on a Tech camera and if I still need to haul a computer with me on location to accurately check focus then the extra price for new backs seems pointless.

I do wish there was more clarification about this rather than lots of reports of how nice the screen looks.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Regardless of live view or focus mask after handling the IQ 180 just the zoom feature alone from 100-400 percent you can certainly confirm focus by a country mile. The LCD resolution is that good. Go back to our review and watch the first 3 minutes of the video when I shot the product shot and looked at the image at 100 percent. That will give you a good clue how good that focus confirmation works. Focus mask my bet will be just like C1. That's MY bet

Post Thanks / Like

Just an update: I had an email from the UK area rep, Eric Joakim (an incredibly helpful guy who had a knee operation a coupla days ago and yet is still working!) and he had a quote from the R&D guys:

'This slow 100% zoom is only caused by the firmware in the prototype. The final version gives you more or less immediate 100% zoom – assuming that you have a very fast CF card. For the prototype: Zooming at the same time as an image is being stored to the CF card slows both processes down, so it is usually better to wait a short moment, and then zoom.'

He also said that 'the first batch of IQ180 backs is due April so the final shipping version will not be ready before the promo upgrade period finishes'

In other words, for those concerned about getting the upgrade pricing deal, they will have to do so on faith rather than first hand experience. I'll happily do that - Phase is a good company - but I will probably want to hear that Live View works in daylight and might also want to hear that focus mask works in Live View. The reason I would prefer this to merely shooting then zooming is that when working with movements on a tech cam, especially when taking shifted frames to be stitched, the fewer frames you take the easier it is to match your LCCs to your shots later. A CF card littered with test shots makes it easier for a klutz like me to screw that up! Other more skilled or intelligent users might be happy with the near instant zoom alone!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the update Tim. I'm sure we were all waiting for the latest.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I'd really like to see a video posted on Phases website in the "in action" section of the IQ backs page with a working demo of liveview and focus mask. Makes me wonder why such a massive feature (bigger deal than 80MP IMO) is not flogged to death.... unless it just doesn't work yet?

The pessimist in me is niggling me by saying it works so badly that they figured best not show it working as not to take the sale hype away from the new chassis.

Please don't let this be true as I've been waiting a long time for digi back with these amazing features.

Come on Phase, put us all out of our misery.

Post Thanks / Like

It seems to me that dealers and reviewers are really downplaying these two very important and expensive features - like they don't really expect them to work very well so just go ahead and buy the back anyway. I'm sorry, but I DO expect both of these features to work as advertised, otherwise Phase is going to have one pissed-off customer on their hands asking for a refund (I ordered the IQ180 the first day possible, and will be paying a lot for those two new features). I'm funny that way, and expect to get what I pay for. If they are still unsure about these features then they should have never advertised them in the first place.

However I do think that there is no way they will ship any of these backs to regular customers in April - considering they don't even have either of these two major features working on their prototypes - and we are now two months away from promised delivery (I guess they could deliver one or two to dealers, but I would really be surprised if they fill orders that were placed last week - I hope they prove me wrong!). It would be a big letdown if we had to wait until summer (or later) for delivery of fully-working backs.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    Well I'd really like to see a video posted on Phases website in the "in action" section of the IQ backs page with a working demo of liveview and focus mask. Makes me wonder why such a massive feature (bigger deal than 80MP IMO) is not flogged to death.... unless it just doesn't work yet?
    The first time a feature (especially a brand new feature) is shown is a huge part of how it is perceived by the market forever. Therefore I would expect that neither feature will be shown in public until it looks about as good/fast/clean as they expect to get it by the time of the launch.

If for instance they showed a version today which was 1fps and by the time it launches it was 3fps then I can guarantee you that two years from now a significant number of potential buyers would still have the impression it maxed out at 1fps.

Newsletter | RSS Feed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    The first time a feature (especially a brand new feature) is shown is a huge part of how it is perceived by the market forever. Therefore I would expect that neither feature will be shown in public until it looks about as good/fast/clean as they expect to get it by the time of the launch.
    As long as its not just another Capture One 4........ Very late and never work very well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Woodland View Post
    It seems to me that dealers and reviewers are really downplaying these two very important and expensive features - like they don't really expect them to work very well so just go ahead and buy the back anyway. I'm sorry, but I DO expect both of these features to work as advertised, otherwise Phase is going to have one pissed-off customer on their hands asking for a refund (I ordered the IQ180 the first day possible, and will be paying a lot for those two new features). I'm funny that way, and expect to get what I pay for. If they are still unsure about these features then they should have never advertised them in the first place.

However I do think that there is no way they will ship any of these backs to regular customers in April - considering they don't even have either of these two major features working on their prototypes - and we are now two months away from promised delivery (I guess they could deliver one or two to dealers, but I would really be surprised if they fill orders that were placed last week - I hope they prove me wrong!). It would be a big letdown if we had to wait until summer (or later) for delivery of fully-working backs.

In every conversation I have had with my customers regarding IQ Series products, I have cautioned about expectations for the Live View.

From all of the experience I have had with CCD-based, computer driven Live View from every digital back that ever offered it (Sinar, Leaf, Hasselblad, Phase One, Jenoptik), I can say that I have reservations about how miraculously it will work. I am not expecting 5DMK-II quality video. Will it be usable? Quite possibly, for many.

The biggest issue they have to deal with is taming the light, which even in studio conditions on a computer is a challenge. CCD sensors get overwhelmed and underwhelmed easily. I wonder if Phase One is working on using Sensor Plus to help with the underwhelmed light situations, meaning that even if you are in full rez mode, the Live View can display in Sensor Plus mode? I have no idea, just a (hopeful) guess.

But the overwhelming light situations (like bright sunlight) are the bigger issue to my mind. From what I have heard, there has been progress in dealing with this, which if this is true, would represent quite a breakthrough, and bodes well even for those who would still want to use Live View on a computer.

But that is why I am being cautious. You are buying a product that will have Live View, but there are no details about the quality of the Live View. And you should be aware that there are no guarantees it will be stunning. 5DMK-II type video quality.

The Focus Mask I am less concerned about. With all the new processing power in the IQ series, I expect Focus Mask (and who knows what other features added down the line) to work well. It appears to me to be a platform that can grow in terms of in-camera functionality.

There are many cameras that offer in-camera Live View, all of varying quality. Anyone ordering for the Live View feature should have a realistic discussion of CCD-based Live View quality with whoever they're ordering from.

Steve Hendrix
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: • Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar • Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: • Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar • Authorized Reseller

Post Thanks / Like

That's kind of what I'm talking about Steve - Live View is being touted as the second coming of Christ for digital backs and yet it sounds like they don't have any idea if it will even work as advertised or not (I'm not talking about "stunning" - only to work as advertised). I do expect it to work and work well - especially since I am paying so much for this feature and it is one of the main selling points of this new series of backs. If they were not sure if it would work as advertised or not then why did they hype it so much? (To sell backs of course, ha, ha!)

I'm confident that Phase will get it right, I just hope it doesn't take them too long to deliver, or wait until the next version of IQ backs to get it right with some lame-duck version on this most expensive back in the world this time around. Lots of crossed fingers I'm sure - on both sides of the room.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is my take and do not take this to the bank because it may just bounce. Now just because i just reviewed it does not mean i know something but my personal take on Live view and focus mask is this. It's intellectual property and it is already done or very near done but Phase will not let anyone see it or review it until it ships or very close to it. Think about it, if it was showed off last week 3 months before delivery and it's competition is sitting out there in right field watching, need I go on here. Some things are better left unsaid or in this case unveiled. Just a thought

Also I agree with Steve's comments.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's kind of what I'm talking about Steve - Live View is being touted as the second coming of Christ for digital backs and yet it sounds like they don't have any idea if it will even work as advertised or not (I'm not talking about "stunning" - only to work as advertised). I do expect it to work and work well - especially since I am paying so much for this feature and it is one of the main selling points of this new series of backs. If they were not sure if it would work as advertised or not then why did they hype it so much? (To sell backs of course, ha, ha!)

I'm confident that Phase will get it right, I just hope it doesn't take them too long to deliver, or wait until the next version of IQ backs to get it right with some lame-duck version on this most expensive back in the world this time around. Lots of crossed fingers I'm sure - on both sides of the room.

I don't know who is touting it quite that passionately. Oddly, I tripped over to Phase One's website and could hardly find a mention of it. I'm guardedly optimistic - it would be a huge faux pas to have the Live View not work better than it does today on the computer. I just haven't really seen much hype about Live View - especially compared to the Retina-type screen itself, which is bearing most of the marketing department's heavy lifting.

Steve Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think the people who are touting live view are posters on internet forums.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Steve, I didn't have to look nearly as far as you - I just checked your own Capture Integration web site and the Live View function is listed second on the graphic at the top of your IQ announcement page (True Live View), and third on the list of great new features of these backs (...Live View on the Back’s LCD Without a Computer...The Phase One IQ will be the first digital back to allow live view on the digital back without a computer. By building in a total of 9 cores worth of processing, including custom designed dedicated processors, and by working closely with DALSA, Phase One has been able to do what was previously thought to be impossible. The refresh rate and flexibility (concerning scene contrast) will be sufficient to allow still life, interior, architectural, and landscape photographers the ability to check focus in real-time without the need to lug a laptop along...Live View on the back will make the Phase One IQ the best back in the world for users of technical and view cameras....).

Kind of sounds like touting this as a great new feature to me, don't you? It certainly did catch my eye and is one of the reasons why I ordered the back the very first day - I'm a tech camera user, and again I expect it to work as advertised. I'm assuming it will work just great and what Guy says is right on the money. In fact I bet 44 grand on it.

EDIT: you are correct that I don't see it touted on the Phase One web site, nor was it in the press release - are you guys the only ones advertising this as a great new feature? Hum, now that really has me wondering - is this going to be a feature on the new back or not? Wow, perhaps not.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey Steve, I didn't have to look nearly as far as you - I just checked your own Capture Integration web site and the Live View function is listed second on the graphic at the top of your IQ announcement page (True Live View), and third on the list of great new features of these backs (...Live View on the Back’s LCD Without a Computer...The Phase One IQ will be the first digital back to allow live view on the digital back without a computer. By building in a total of 9 cores worth of processing, including custom designed dedicated processors, and by working closely with DALSA, Phase One has been able to do what was previously thought to be impossible. The refresh rate and flexibility (concerning scene contrast) will be sufficient to allow still life, interior, architectural, and landscape photographers the ability to check focus in real-time without the need to lug a laptop along...Live View on the back will make the Phase One IQ the best back in the world for users of technical and view cameras....).

Kind of sounds like touting this as a great new feature to me, don't you? It certainly did catch my eye and is one of the reasons why I ordered the back the very first day - I'm a tech camera user, and again I expect it to work as advertised. I'm assuming it will work just great and what Guy says is right on the money. In fact I bet 44 grand on it.

EDIT: you are correct that I don't see it touted on the Phase One web site, nor was it in the press release - are you guys the only ones advertising this as a great new feature? Hum, now that really has me wondering - is this going to be a feature on the new back or not? Wow, perhaps not.
    "it will not be possible to use this feature off of a tripod due to the limitations of CCD sensors" <--- This was left out of your quote. I have now also added " - expectations are for 1fps to 3fps" to help clarify further that this is not 5DII CMOS based live view. The last thing CI wants to do is build false expectations.

It was presented to us this way at the pre-release meeting in Dubai as well as the dealer online presentation. Kevin Raber's video interview on LL and the LL pre-release article also mention it. Most MF Dealers don't bother to do any of their own marketing/analysis/advertising and instead copy paste from phase's press release and since the press release didn't mention it they would not have either.

I'd also encourage realistic expectations on what can be accomplished with CCD live view. However, what we've been told is it will be usable in the field on a tech camera on a tripod for live focusing and composition - which is all I need to consider it a major feature. It likely will not be "sexy" - but even if there is a lot of noise/weird-color/70s-TV-effects or such then the practical among us will be overjoyed - ANYTHING that provides the ability to focus tech cameras reliably (including with swings and tilts and at any arbitrary aperture) will be a major coup. Of course the only proof is in the pudding and we will keep you apprised if and when they show us a prototype with this feature enabled.

Newsletter | RSS Feed

Post Thanks / Like

I was just saying that it seems like you guys who have been touting this great new feature early on now seem to be backing off and that has people wondering if it is real or not. "but even if there is a lot of noise/weird-color/70s-TV-effects" you say - goodness, I hope not on my new $44,000 back with that great screen! Perhaps you would be overjoyed Doug with dismal performance like this, but I would not be.

My expectations are quite high for this new feature, just like the price of the back - why would anyone expect any less?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Joseph, I'm really not sure what you're getting at. You said you would be pissed if Live View didn't work as advertised. Well, it has barely been advertised in any objective, quantitative manner that one would be able to deduce the effectiveness of it. And I offered my past experience with CCD-based Live View as a reality check.

It is possible Phase One is not screaming Live View because considering the estimated eta is 3 months away, they surely still have some work to do on it and it isn't even something they can currently demonstrate.

We have Live View listed as the 4th orange headline down on the IQ page from our website. I had no idea Phase One was barely mentioning it. I guess I'm wondering why you feel it is being hyped so hard? In Dubai the weekend before the launch, Dave Gallagher, representing Capture Integration - one of only two USA dealers present - attended a dealer conference on the product and all of the Capture Integration team participated in a conference call/webinar presentation of the product. In that presentation, we were told that the IQ would offer in-camera Live View. In further discussions, we were told Live View would be usable enough to allow for in the field use.

So - we have posted what we have been told by Phase One. There is no hype, I don't really know what placement on our website you would find more appropriate of the 8 orange highlighted headlines on the IQ page, perhaps #7, ahead of USB2/USB3/FW800/FW400?

And if you read the wording, it seems fairly restrained "sufficient to allow….the ability to check focus in real-time…." That is about as hyped as we got Joseph, the rest of the paragraph is technical information.

You didn't buy your IQ180 from us so I don't know what kind of experience you had with your dealer on the description of Live View ability that prompted you to make your purchase. But to say that we are hyping it as the second coming of Jesus Christ seems well….kind of blatantly exaggerated. IMO.

Steve Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Steve but any mention by you, Phase or who ever of a liveview function on a MFD camera system will automatically create hype. The two most requested features by photographers for years in a MFD system has been better screens and liveview.

If liveview doesn't work yet the why even mention it as a release feature of the new IQ backs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry Steve but any mention by you, Phase or who ever of a liveview function on a MFD camera system will automatically create hype. The two most requested features by photographers for years in a MFD system has been better screens and liveview.

If liveview doesn't work yet the why even mention it as a release feature of the new IQ backs?
    Not trying to be an apologist for anyone but really...
    1) current phase backs have a liveview function when tethered to C1
    2) New lcd plus more internal speed and processing capabilities seems to make a liveview kind of thing entirely possible.
    3) Hey it is a ccd sensor. We love them for what hey are but we have to understand their limitations. That means liveview is entirely possible but it will not be fast.
    4) manufacturer has put the function in their product secs
    5) Therefore if the back does not have a live view function within the limitations of a ccd sensor when it ships it does not meet specifications.
    6) If it is that important to you put that caveat in your purchase order.
    Q.E.D.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Gosh I didn't mean to get you CI sales people so flustered. I was just pointing out facts, that's all. It is clear that you are trying to lower the Live View expectations and that is fine - I just hope Phase One comes through with the real deal that we are paying so much for, and that will be great. And if they don't, well I guess perhaps some of us got a little duped by all the hype. I'm just a lowly little customer and can't compete with you guys online so please don't pay any further attention to me.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The new backs are so darn tempting. The main aspect that has been tempting me is the ability to tap the screen and get an instant 100% check on image issues. The second aspect is the thought of the focus mask followed by an increase in overall image quality shooting either 60 or 80 megapixels. I know I'd be happy as a pig in stuff that smells with the 60 however I know me and at some point in time I'd say to myself - "as good as that image looks at 60 how much better will it look at 80?". Then again as I review the images I've shot with the P45+ they don't exactly suck.

I'm also having this running conversation with myself where I remind myself that too much resolution could be a bad thing. There's been plenty of times where I've ended up with various sizes of specks in the sky only to find out they were either birds or airplanes and I had to get rid of them in order to make the image look okay. Same thing has happened as I've shot water - debris on the water can print like a printer error and I've had to remove them to get a proper print.

After all the conversations I've had with myself I've come to the decision that I do want to upgrade while at the present time I don't need to. I'm still sitting on the fence about a 60 or 80 and until I've had the time to experience both I'll wait and keep reading what folks are saying here as well as looking at the images from the various tests.

Bottom line is I now have a huge headache....

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In the way you have stated this, the accountability for the hype belongs as much to the people who foment the information into hype as much as the source of the information.

A source of hype must subsist of exaggerated claims or flamboyant or dramatic methods. There is nothing of the sort in our description of Live View, which after all, is a feature of the product! To say we create hype by listing a product's features is, well....I don't know what that is, but it certainly defies any logic.

If consumers get hyped over a feature, especially when the feature has been described quite modestly, that does not mean the source "hyped" anything. I mean we state, "the Live View will be sufficient......." Sufficient? Sufficient? Wow, what hype!!!

Listen, we know how to hype something. If we already knew and felt this Live View was going to be the greatest Live View you've ever seen we would be screaming it. We don't know. We have stated what we have been told to expect, and even then, modestly. If anything, I think we are actually responsible for damping down the hype over Live View by soberly describing the expected performance.

Steve Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know Jack and I mentioned it in our review and Kevin mentioned it on the video but If I hyped anything than that would be the 100-400 zoom LCD. That I could see , touch and confirm. Now that was awesome and won me over by a country mile and i freely admit that. Personally I put live view kind of a extra feature but I am a polaroid type of shooter also. So I may shoot and adjust and the zoom and focus mask feature maybe all i ever use. I think live view would be very nice but my expectations of it maybe not as high as others. But that is me

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gosh I didn't mean to get you CI sales people so flustered. I was just pointing out facts, that's all. It is clear that you are trying to lower the Live View expectations and that is fine - I just hope Phase One comes through with the real deal that we are paying so much for, and that will be great. And if they don't, well I guess perhaps some of us got a little duped by all the hype. I'm just a lowly little customer and can't compete with you guys online so please don't pay any further attention to me.

Joseph - that is ok. As a sales and service organization, we are only as good as our performance and our reputation. True integrity is unfortunately, rare in the world, and especially in the segment of equipment sales. We've worked hard to establish it and sometimes as a result, we are sensitive if it appears to be in question. Probably over sensitive.

We don't take our responsibilities lightly. On a daily basis we take thousands of dollars from our clients in exchange for products which have to perform at a very high level and work in the way that our clients expect. If they don't, the results can be disastrous.

We partner with companies that create amazing products but often market them in ways that don't hold up in real world situations. We strive to illustrate exactly what those real world capabilities are, which is not always easy.

I appreciate that you brought it up Joseph. Oh, and there is no such thing as a "lowly little customer".

Steve Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

+1, Well said Guy, my expectations as well.

Cheers, -Peter

Post Thanks / Like

I guess we all have to make our decisions based on personal criteria and perceptions but from where I stand, tethered live view has been of such limited use as to be almost useless. It seemed more like a box-ticking exercise. So if the new backs are to have it, for me personally to want to buy it it's going to have to:

* work in sunlight
    * have a fast enough frame rate to allow accurate framing of a view AND
    * allow it to accurately reflect changes in focus when movements and focus are being iterated. I can't tell whether 3fps will be enough for that without trying it, if indeed 3fps is the number
    * be 100% zoomable
    * be sufficiently free of weird effects for clear focus to be discerned

There was talk somewhere of the engineers having 'pulled something out of the hat' and hats off to them if they have pulled out a rabbit the size of my list above! But again, personally speaking, love the new screen though I do, I'd have to see the rabbit (or at least hear very reliable news of it) before opening the wallet...

Post Thanks / Like

+1 well said.

After all its not as if the P+ backs suddenly became terrible overnight (well apart from their resale price)

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

+1 well said.

After all its not as if the P+ backs suddenly became terrible overnight (well apart from their resale price)
    Yes, you are correct, the LCDs on the P+ backs have been terrible for quite some time now!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I guess we all have to make our decisions based on personal criteria and perceptions but from where I stand, tethered live view has been of such limited use as to be almost useless. It seemed more like a box-ticking exercise. So if the new backs are to have it, for me personally to want to buy it it's going to have to:

* work in sunlight
    * have a fast enough frame rate to allow accurate framing of a view AND
    * allow it to accurately reflect changes in focus when movements and focus are being iterated. I can't tell whether 3fps will be enough for that without trying it, if indeed 3fps is the number
    * be 100% zoomable
    * be sufficiently free of weird effects for clear focus to be discerned

There was talk somewhere of the engineers having 'pulled something out of the hat' and hats off to them if they have pulled out a rabbit the size of my list above! But again, personally speaking, love the new screen though I do, I'd have to see the rabbit (or at least hear very reliable news of it) before opening the wallet...
    If all worked as you wanted I would be ecstatic. I guess my expectation was to be able to use live view for framing and focus. I didn't really consider focus mask on the live view but on the image review. If focus masking worked on the live view that would be a bonus for me. I think it would be something like the focus peaking that is on some video cameras. Seems like focus masking at 3 frames per second on a 80mp image live view image is a lot of heavy lifting in terms of processing power. I definitely want the focus masking on the image review as well even if indeed it is in live view.

Tim, when you are shooting to stitch and are using movements I'm curious of your workflow. I'm much newer to using movements but i would have thought once you get your focus dialed in you are making the shifts and shooting frames and LCCs pretty quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Terry,

The production of LCC shots in a logical and consistent manner should be a simple logisitcal exercise but is full of gotchas. Firstly, you need to try to pare back the frames on the camera to only those you will use in the stitch, i.e. the frames for the image and the associated LCCs... and preferably you need to get into a flow of shooting the frame first, then the LCC (OR VICE VERSA!) so you always know, later on, which LCC matches which frame. Taking written or voice notes at the time helps but...

In reality what happens to mildly but not chronically disorganised me is one or more of the following:

* I end up with stray frames that were taken to establish framing or focus, and can't remember if they were test shots or final shots. They can screw up my attempts at establishing a sequence of files that I can reconstruct later
    * I get the sequence wrong
    * I am quite certain I will remember some exceptional event (a big change in light, scene content, etc) and the fact that it made me change my normal sequence. I forget it when it comes to processing.
    * On several occasions, I have shot in the field with a laptop (either tethering or because I am travelling and do my processing on a laptop) and then later, transferring files to a desktop, the LCCs go astray.
    * On at least one occasion, can't remember which upgrade, going to a new version of C1 seemed to lose most of my old LCC profiles and of course I had deleted the shots themselves. I now always keep all my LCC shots but for the various reasons above, reconstructing their relationship with the frames I shot for the image itself, especially a year later (!) can be tricky.
    * Keeping written or voice notes is fine but in the chaos of life I sometimes (OK usually) can't locate these several months later and interpret them usefully.

So for me at least, LCC shooting is a royal pain, however simple it SHOULD be for a person of average intelligence!

BTW I don't know if you've ever used Live View on an existing Phase back but it is a pig, really. Even under studio modelling lights it is really hard not to blow the sensor out, the image is noisy, very slow refresh rates make it hard to respond to focus changes and the colours often seem to invert or posterise. I almost never use it, though for careful slow macro use it is just about better than nothing. Frankly, having read in the pre-sales literature that there was live view on my first Phase back, I was utterly horrified by the actuality until I realised that a real pro should have expected it!

;-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tim - two things I do

1. When in the field when I'm done framing etc. I fire off a shot of my hand. Then after the last frame shot, I fire off a another shot of my hand. A little trick that our fearless leader Guy taught me. Works like a charm and like you I used to get confused where the stitch series started and ended.

2. When in C1 I now rename the LCC when I initially go to process/use it. In the LCC name I use is LCC + the file number of the frame that it is associated with. That way once processed I can match up the correct file to the correct LCC.

No, I haven't shot tethered in the studio.

Last edited by Terry; 4th February 2011 at 05:32.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Italians have to do something with there hands. LOL

Thanks Terry actually for me it immediately tells me I did something in the field that I need to be aware of when i am processing. Most times it maybe a focus stack or a stitch. Try it sometimes it really does help and does not slow anything down

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

that is a great tip Terry/Guy - simple and smart .

[email protected]

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Tim - two things I do

1. When in the field when I'm done framing etc. I fire off a shot of my hand. Then after the last frame shot, I fire off a another shot of my hand. A little trick that our fearless leader Guy taught me. Works like a charm and like you I used to get confused where the stitch series started and ended.

2. When in C1 I now rename the LCC when I initially go to process/use it. In the LCC name I use is LCC + the file number of the frame that it is associated with. That way once processed I can match up the correct file to the correct LCC.

This is exactly how I do it too. I picked up the technique when shooting panos so that I'd know which images made up a set. It applies perfectly to tech camera shooting sets as you & Guy mention.

With the IQ, I ordered mine on the basis of the image zoom alone. The focus mask will be helpful also but I have no illusions of the live view feature being anything like as realtime as current DSLR offerings, nice as that might be. No plans to stop using the VF for initial framing and a fast shoot/review/adjust with the superior display and ergonomics is all that I'm expecting as the real advantage (for me).

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps the new software will allow "Composition Mode" on the back in the field to allow numerous shots for focus checking before actually saving shots to the card. The buffer seems to be large enough. It would also be handy to have a shot marker or series marker available in the back software to mark image sets, such as pano series.

Does Phase One have a specific place for feature suggestions?

Blessings,

JB

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All I can say is they said some things where not announced on the back. Whatever that is supposed to mean.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    With the IQ, I ordered mine on the basis of the image zoom alone.
    [...] a fast shoot/review/adjust with the superior display and ergonomics is all that I'm expecting as the real advantage (for me).
    Just back from a Phase presentation of the IQ180: Image zoom works incredibly well - much better than I had expected! An IQ-back with the new UI (as far as it's been completed) on a tech cam looks like an enormous step forward in usability.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post

I shot the dealer launch event in Dubai and the backs we were shooting with were, as Guy says, displaying full res in 2-3 seconds, tops. It was shocking at first, but I'm now really impatient with my P65+
    Siebel
    "In the end, it's all about the pictures"
    www.bryansiebel.com

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to clarify my experience: zooming into a shot that had already been taken and processed was as quick as everyone says. The slower times I refer to in my original post were when trying to zoom immediately into a shot that had literally just been captured and was still being processed. When working in the field I would often want to do this.

The CF card was as supplied for the test (i.e. not my own card) and there was another photographer there with me (another existing Phase back owner) finding exactly the same thing.

I have no doubt that the shipping version will be much faster, and thus are we assured!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Tim - two things I do

Excellent - never thought of this, very helpful - thanks to the both of you!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'd like to clarify my experience: zooming into a shot that had already been taken and processed was as quick as everyone says. The slower times I refer to in my original post were when trying to zoom immediately into a shot that had literally just been captured and was still being processed. When working in the field I would often want to do this.

The CF card was as supplied for the test (i.e. not my own card) and there was another photographer there with me (another existing Phase back owner) finding exactly the same thing.

I have no doubt that the shipping version will be much faster, and thus are we assured!

When we met with Claus Molgaard this week at our launch, we were told that they expected to improve the overall speed between now and launch. Amazing, really, because in general it is very fast already.

The specific issue of zooming immediately after capture came up, and that will also be addressed in the final released product.

Steve Hendrix