Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Hasselblad HTS 1.5 T/S for landscapes

  1. #1
    Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,579
    Post Thanks / Like

    Hasselblad HTS 1.5 T/S for landscapes

    I'm curious if anyone has used the HTS 1.5 for landscapes and if so, what kind of results. I understand that the 28mm effectively becomes a 43mm using this, but is there enough movements to justify the cost or should one have better results with a 4x5 with larger movements? Also, can Photoshop CS5 alleviate these concerns using free transform and pano programs because the ease of digital seems prudent.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    201
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad HTS 1.5 T/S for landscapes

    Some of my photographs made with the HTS:

    28mm+HTS


    28mm+HTS


    28mm+HTS


    Kind regards,
    Derek Jecxz
    www.jecxz.com
    http://www.facebook.com/derek.jecxz.photographer

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    201
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad HTS 1.5 T/S for landscapes

    Here's two more:

    28mm+HTS


    28mm+HTS


    Kind regards,
    Derek Jecxz
    www.jecxz.com
    http://www.facebook.com/derek.jecxz.photographer

  4. #4
    Senior Member stephengilbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    2,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: Hasselblad HTS 1.5 T/S for landscapes

    Beautiful photos, Derek, as always.

  5. #5
    Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    5,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    564

    Re: Hasselblad HTS 1.5 T/S for landscapes

    Nice shots - the 28 + T/S illustration is just a bonus.

  6. #6
    Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,579
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad HTS 1.5 T/S for landscapes

    Derek,
    Thanks for images. This is useful in deciding what is best for landscape for my purposes. I already own Hassy gear that the HTS 1.5 can utilize, so given that, it might be more cost effective. Film processing and scans can add up. It's my understanding that because of microlenses, that my DB is not recommended for a view/field camera. That's not what's on their (Hasselblad) website though. I'm sure I could probably get away with certain images, but given certain obtuse lighting conditions it can be a hindrance.

  7. #7
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Hasselblad HTS 1.5 T/S for landscapes

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygoesdigital View Post
    Derek,
    Thanks for images. This is useful in deciding what is best for landscape for my purposes. I already own Hassy gear that the HTS 1.5 can utilize, so given that, it might be more cost effective. Film processing and scans can add up. It's my understanding that because of microlenses, that my DB is not recommended for a view/field camera. That's not what's on their (Hasselblad) website though. I'm sure I could probably get away with certain images, but given certain obtuse lighting conditions it can be a hindrance.
    I recently ask the same question of my Hasselblad rep ... who is also a tech assistant for studios in the area. In addition to shooting techniques, there are adjustments in Phocus designed for correcting Hassey backs with micro-lenses that are used on a tech or view camera. I was going to be having a one-on-one to learn about it, but decided to sell my H4D/40. My other H digital system doesn't have micro-lenses.

    As far as the HT/S1.5 is concerned, apparently the corrections are automatic and part of the integration of the HTS into the H systems functionality. I saw no color casts when shooting the HTS with a H4D/40 which has micro lenses.

    Free Transform in PS is okay for some pedestrian PC applications, but IMO destructive to IQ and probably NOT a good way to go for landscape work that will be printed large ... more importantly it does nothing to add DOF available with tilts. For Panos I use PTGuiPro software, not Photoshop.

    -Marc

  8. #8
    Workshop Member Woody Campbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,120
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    66

    Re: Hasselblad HTS 1.5 T/S for landscapes

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    I recently ask the same question of my Hasselblad rep ... who is also a tech assistant for studios in the area. In addition to shooting techniques, there are adjustments in Phocus designed for correcting Hassey backs with micro-lenses that are used on a tech or view camera. I was going to be having a one-on-one to learn about it, but decided to sell my H4D/40. My other H digital system doesn't have micro-lenses.

    As far as the HT/S1.5 is concerned, apparently the corrections are automatic and part of the integration of the HTS into the H systems functionality. I saw no color casts when shooting the HTS with a H4D/40 which has micro lenses.

    Free Transform in PS is okay for some pedestrian PC applications, but IMO destructive to IQ and probably NOT a good way to go for landscape work that will be printed large ... more importantly it does nothing to add DOF available with tilts. For Panos I use PTGuiPro software, not Photoshop.

    -Marc
    I did a write up on the HTS in this forum a while back: HTS thread. See post 12 for David G's clarification that Phocus uses the position info to correct CA, vignetting and linear distortion, but not color casts. You need to shoot a white frame to correct color casts.

  9. #9
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Hasselblad HTS 1.5 T/S for landscapes

    Quote Originally Posted by Woody Campbell View Post
    I did a write up on the HTS in this forum a while back: HTS thread. See post 12 for David G's clarification that Phocus uses the position info to correct CA, vignetting and linear distortion, but not color casts. You need to shoot a white frame to correct color casts.
    I never detected color casts when shooting the H4D/40 and HTS/1.5 ... but I guess that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

    Do you use Scene Calibration in the Phocus Adjust Tool menu to Remove Cast and Equlize Intensity ... or is that how you use the white shot?

    -Marc

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Warks, UK
    Posts
    550
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad HTS 1.5 T/S for landscapes

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygoesdigital View Post
    Derek,
    Thanks for images. This is useful in deciding what is best for landscape for my purposes. I already own Hassy gear that the HTS 1.5 can utilize, so given that, it might be more cost effective. Film processing and scans can add up. It's my understanding that because of microlenses, that my DB is not recommended for a view/field camera. That's not what's on their (Hasselblad) website though. I'm sure I could probably get away with certain images, but given certain obtuse lighting conditions it can be a hindrance.
    The HTS has it's limitations... and I am nearly at the point where I will have a full-blown Medium Format Digital View Camera, with remotely operable e-Shutters, daylight remote live view etc... but the cost is horrendous, and the HTS is cost-effective and practicable if you do not want to do long-focus landscapes.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    201
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad HTS 1.5 T/S for landscapes

    Thank you Stephen and Graham.

    Johnny, I admit I was in the same boat as you. I could not find any good landscape HTS photographs. I also saw the thread mentioned above but it contained no examples that impressed me. I met with David Grover while he was in New York and I was able to demo a unit and determine that I could be creative with it. I purchased it and after a short time my only regret was not purchasing it sooner. However, given the lack of impressive examples, Hasselblad needs to work on the marketing.

    Here is another example photograph with the 35mm and the HTS:



    It is a costly item, however, after working with it, I think it's a good tool for my landscape artwork.

    Kind regards,
    Derek Jecxz
    www.jecxz.com
    www.facebook.com/derek.jecxz.photographer

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygoesdigital View Post
    Derek,
    Thanks for images. This is useful in deciding what is best for landscape for my purposes. I already own Hassy gear that the HTS 1.5 can utilize, so given that, it might be more cost effective. Film processing and scans can add up. It's my understanding that because of microlenses, that my DB is not recommended for a view/field camera. That's not what's on their (Hasselblad) website though. I'm sure I could probably get away with certain images, but given certain obtuse lighting conditions it can be a hindrance.

  12. #12
    Workshop Member Woody Campbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,120
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    66

    Re: Hasselblad HTS 1.5 T/S for landscapes

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    I never detected color casts when shooting the H4D/40 and HTS/1.5 ... but I guess that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

    Do you use Scene Calibration in the Phocus Adjust Tool menu to Remove Cast and Equlize Intensity ... or is that how you use the white shot?

    -Marc
    I'm working remotely here but this is how I remember it: You import the white frame and the associated images. Go to the imported white frame. in the Adjust tool go to the Remove Cast and Equalize Intensity panel. You can just check Remove Cast because for the HTS Phocus has already figured out vignetting.

    You push create and provide a name. The named equalization shows up on the panel. Then go to the image and check the named equaiization on the panel and it applies it to the image. Something like that, anyway.

    Really pretty easy. The secret is making a good white frame. Phocus actually prefers sort of middle gray - not too dark in the corners but not too bright in the center. Using as expodisc or the lucite rectangle that Capture Integration sells I decrease shutter speed 2 or 3 stops for the white frame (you can't change fstop because that will change both color cast and vignetting).

  13. #13
    Workshop Member Woody Campbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,120
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    66

    Re: Hasselblad HTS 1.5 T/S for landscapes

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    I never detected color casts when shooting the H4D/40 and HTS/1.5 ... but I guess that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

    Do you use Scene Calibration in the Phocus Adjust Tool menu to Remove Cast and Equlize Intensity ... or is that how you use the white shot?

    -Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by jecxz View Post
    Thank you Stephen and Graham.

    Johnny, I admit I was in the same boat as you. I could not find any good landscape HTS photographs. I also saw the thread mentioned above but it contained no examples that impressed me. I met with David Grover while he was in New York and I was able to demo a unit and determine that I could be creative with it. I purchased it and after a short time my only regret was not purchasing it sooner. However, given the lack of impressive examples, Hasselblad needs to work on the marketing.

    Here is another example photograph with the 35mm and the HTS:



    It is a costly item, however, after working with it, I think it's a good tool for my landscape artwork.

    Kind regards,
    Derek Jecxz
    www.jecxz.com
    www.facebook.com/derek.jecxz.photographer
    Derek - A really outstanding image.

  14. #14
    Senior Member yaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,168
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    38

    Re: Hasselblad HTS 1.5 T/S for landscapes

    Quote Originally Posted by jecxz View Post
    This one is my favourite Derek

    Yair
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

  15. #15
    Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,579
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad HTS 1.5 T/S for landscapes

    Derek,
    I like the DOF, what DB are you using with your HTS 1.5?

    The issues I want to correct such as DOF, pano's, artifacts, etc. are actually quite easy to fix via software and thus mimic a view camera, however, the convergence of lines is the bane of non technical cameras. Unless one shoots with enough overlap for cropping and is okay with IQ degradation than perhaps free transform is fine if your not going too big. Micro-lenses are great for high ISO, but introduce another set of issues if mounting with a view camera. The HTS 1.5 does a pretty good job of T/S, but it is expensive! There so much to consider, perhaps, I will re-visit my romance with film, as it's been locked in my forbidden closet of mystery for sometime! Yes, scans are expensive too, but digital has taught me so much about technique and theory that I think it safe to "load again".

  16. #16
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    4,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1253

    Re: Hasselblad HTS 1.5 T/S for landscapes

    28mm and HTS, max shift of 15mm


  17. #17
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    4,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1253

    Re: Hasselblad HTS 1.5 T/S for landscapes

    some tilt in this one


  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    201
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad HTS 1.5 T/S for landscapes

    Woody and Yair thank you.

    Johnny, I'm using an H3DII39.

    Kind regards,
    Derek

  19. #19
    Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,579
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad HTS 1.5 T/S for landscapes

    Ah nice...the h3d II/39, no micro lenses, I think.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •