The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium Format Hard Case or Backpack for Multi-day Backpacking Trips

jld

I am planning several multi-day backpacking trips in New Zealand with my Pentax 645D, 45-85mm zoom, and possibly my 80-160mm zoom. On multi-day backcountry photography trips, I usually either go horsepacking, or get a spot in the backcountry via mule, or go with enough people where I can share the load of some of my camping gear and carry my photo gear (I have very understanding friends). I usually use a large LowePro bag for these trips and attach a day pack to it; but for multi-day backpacking a day pack won't do.

For my upcoming New Zealand trip, my multi-day hikes will be solo. So, I need to carry a backpack. Does anyone have any tried-and-true ways to carry a medium format rig while still carrying a full backpack? I'll have a bivy, and an ultralight sleeping bag, but I'm trying to figure out how to carry my photo gear without having to open the backpack, while protecting it if I slip, fall, or just lose my balance.

I am considering a top-loaded case carried in front of me (something like http://products.lowepro.com/product/Toploader-Zoom-55-AW,2205,8.htm ); however, I don't like that as I believe it will get in the way of seeing where I am placing my feet while going downhill, and downhills in New Zealand can be very steep (this will be my 4th trip). The best thing I can think of is a hard case of approximate shape and size of the 645D+ 45-85mm zoom, but I have not yet identified anything like that.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

SergeiR

Unless you planning to toss backpack and fall - a lot, i recommend to not look into anything special case-wise. Just get wraps for you gear. More lightweight and compact. And you can put it into your regular pack.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
If you need anything special, use a small square photo bag and strap it on under the lid. You want that weight reasonably high for balance, and under the lid it will be accessible. Or, use a larger backpack and lens wraps/pouches and pack your photo gear inside, but still near the top so it's accessible. The drawback with this is you have to unpack your photo gear to set up camp or cook. A small (and I mean as minimal as possible) photo bag under the lid is easily put aside, and it's nice to have if you want go shoot from camp. A tripod is best attached to an outside loop, also high.

IMO.

Last edited:

Christopher

Well, I Never did Multi Day Tours, but I hiked with a large format camera a few lenses, a canon camera, a tripod. In total I had a weight of around 16-18 kg + 4-10L of water. While I can carry a backpack with 25kg for a very long time the fun isn't in it for me. I did around 20-30 trips like that last year.

Now I know your gear will be a lot lighter, but you probably will end up carrying a lot more other stuff.

I personally would not use my phase or LF systems for multi day trips. I know I probably could, but for me I just have more fun to carry less and cover more different locations and spots. So for me it would be, a Leica M9 + two lenses. This gives me great image quality and a extremely light gear pack.

Now pack to your question, if I would do something like you suggested again, I would look for a hiking backpack with two ways to open it. Wrap your camera gear with some protection and put it in the lower part of the backpack.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Have to say in all my years in photography , I find buying and deciding on which bag to use is maybe the most difficult purchase for me. I have been known to buy 3 and send 2 back after I put my gear in it for fit.

Don Libby

I used a clicklite in Jackson Hole last year and was pleased - more than enough room to carry my Cambo WRS and extra lens and extra items.

Don

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Have to say in all my years in photography , I find buying and deciding on which bag to use is maybe the most difficult purchase for me. I have been known to buy 3 and send 2 back after I put my gear in it for fit.
I'm impressed by your restraint. I buy 3 and keep them all. :ROTFL:

Matt

robmac

I sometimes carry a larger slr in a toploader using a chest harness. Works very well and has camera readilly accessible. BUT if you do a face plan on rocks, you're screwed.

A possible compromise might be clipping something like the following to a chest harness with quick release buckles. Basically a diy hardshell version of a toploader. You could kneel down, release the case from the harness, shoot, rinse repeat.

Might be too small, but I think Pelican makes a harness for some of their cases as well.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/544423-REG/HPRC_HPRC3500FBLACK_3500F_Backpack_with_Foam.html

T

tetsrfun

Might want to look at F Stop bags. Jack and I did some reviews on there products and a couple of them may just workout. They may even have a couple new ones now

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15444
Another advantage of the F-Stop, in addition to the "tech harness" and frame, is the "ICU" system. The % of the pack used for camera gear vs camping stuff can be varied with the size of the "ICU". Packs are relatively expensive, the ICUs are ~$65.

Steve

BradleyGibson

The ICU part is the part I don't understand, and the pictures I've seen don't seem to be clarifying, unless I'm just not understanding them...

OK, so let's imagine I use an ICU, and pack my photo gear (whatever sized ICU). How much of the 58L Satori bag's capacity is left over for hiking gear? Where is that space and is it contiguous? How do I access it? Obviously answer is different depending on ICU size--and bag: where can I find this table?

I'm surprised they don't make this stuff very clear on their website--at least to my mind... Any help much appreciated!

dchew

Brad,

There is a very thorough review here with photos showing space with various ICU's: Dan Carr Review

I don't have an F-Stop but it does look intriguing. However, as I mentioned to the OP in his similar Lula thread, I find a lot of value in being able to wander with just my camera and a few things while backpacking. For example:
1. Set up camp, hike several hundred meters away over rough terrain to get photos.
2. Day hikes while at the same place for > 1 day.
3. Close-by peak bagging.
4. Stops while hiking.

These situations lend themselves to carrying the camera and a few things, not the whole backpack. Not sure how "portable" the ICU's are without the whole backpack. This is why I carry a chestpouch, even if I stuff the pouch in the backpack while hiking.

Dave

The ICU part is the part I don't understand, and the pictures I've seen don't seem to be clarifying, unless I'm just not understanding them...

OK, so let's imagine I use an ICU, and pack my photo gear (whatever sized ICU). How much of the 58L Satori bag's capacity is left over for hiking gear? Where is that space and is it contiguous? How do I access it? Obviously answer is different depending on ICU size--and bag: where can I find this table?

I'm surprised they don't make this stuff very clear on their website--at least to my mind... Any help much appreciated!

SergeiR

So (he asking casually) , which ones you kept? You know.. just for pure research purposes... ;)

T

tetsrfun

I don't know how much this will help but pics of XL-ICU and two L-ICUs to show what could be carried..the gray interior is the latest.

Side shot to show relative size and that they are portable without the Back pack.

Last, L-ICU in a Tilopa back pack to show rear access to camera gear. Enough extra room for day hike or light duty over night.

Currently my recommendation would be for day hikes, a large or medium ICU in a Loka back pack and for multi-day outings a medium or small in the "new" Satori when it is available.

Steve

Stuart Richardson

http://photobackpacker.com/home.asp

It is made for 4x5, but it is completely customizable. I have one, and it is the best backpack I have ever had, photo or otherwise. It is basically a high end backpacking pack adapted into a camera bag, and modular so that things carry well. There is a medium format sized case that works well for me. I managed to fit a 203FE in there with the 110/2 on it, along with a 180/4, 50/2.8, 80/2.8, SWC and extra magazine. This only fills the bottom of the pack (or the top depending on where you put the case), while the rest has plenty of room for all the rest of your gear. It is fully-adjustable and carries beautifully. It is also extremely light compared to dedicated camera backpacks. I would say this looks exactly like what you are looking for, but of course, needs vary.

The medium format sized case is removable, padded, zippered and very light, so it can be taken out if necessary and protect the gear just as it is. It does not have any straps however...just velcro attachments.

goesbang

I'm guessing most of these posts, as well meaning as they are, have not done too many multi-day solo hikes.
Every gram you carry gets agonized over. A lot of the hikes in NZ are rocky, muddy and wet.
If you must take your Pentax (in my view too heavy and bulky for solo multiday Kiwi hikes), then I would use wraps as suggested early on here. Any additional bag you use adds too much weight.
Personally, I would take an Alpa (TC or STC), just one lens (avoiding the HR digarons - too heavy) and a high pixel-count back. I would use one of the lens wraps my Phase gear came with and that would get double bagged in ziploc bags if it rains.
If you haven't yet chosen your pack, consider these from Aarn- the load distribution system is the best I've seen (I have 3 different packs for different types of hikes). Also, some of the load is carried in front (left and right outriggers, so you can see your feet).Balance and posture are much better, so traversing uneven ground is less treacherous. I carry my camera in the front so it is accessible. It's NZ proven and ultra light too.

http://www.aarnpacks.com/

Gave a good trip, stay safe and get some great pictures.

Cheers,

timwier

I don't know much about New Zealand, but I have done several multi-day solos in Colorado and everything is about in space and weight. Bryan is spot on, every gram counts and I would find a way to do with less.

Last summer, I did a 3 day 25 mile photo hike @ 7 - 13.5 K ft solo. I addition to standard gear, I started out with an little M8 and 4 itty, bitty, M lens and a ultra light carbon fiber tripod. After a day, I left three of the lens and other non-essentials in a safe hide-away and learned to live with a single lens.

I really like the idea of the counter-weight aarn packs. It make a lot of sense.

Sounds like a GREAT time. Enjoy.

S

Shelby Lewis

Not to hijack... but what are you guys sleeping in? I'm going out to play baroque trumpet in (and shoot photos for) the American Bach Soloists Academy this summer (in San Fran.) and am thinking of going out a week early and hiking up to thousand islands lake (a bit from Mammoth, CA). Not only am I agonizing about how heavy my camera gear is... but choosing a lightweight tent is bothering me too. The freestanding tents that are considered ultralight are not so "ultralight" when you add camera gear to the mix... but they do offer nice weather protection. Bivies and Tarps are light, but offer much less protection.

Are you guys that hike using trekking-pole-based shelters, ultralight non-freestanding tents, or freestanding tents?

... and I take it most of you use down bags since they are light and stuff down to very small sizes so easily?

Great thread!

dchew

Shelby,

I've been to Thousand Island Lake several times; great trip. I would suggest going in and out via different routes, i.e. river trail in and high trail out. That way you get to see more. The hike itself is not all that hard.

I've done it with a tent and also with a bivy. If I went back I would go the bivy route with a down bag, depending on when you go. There is a good chance the weather will be great, so the risk of a miserable night in the rain / snow is minimal. This is a relatively short trip, so if things get miserable you can always hike back out in several hours. If you are going to be out more than two nights I would switch to a tent.

Dave
Not to hijack... but what are you guys sleeping in? I'm going out to play baroque trumpet in (and shoot photos for) the American Bach Soloists Academy this summer (in San Fran.) and am thinking of going out a week early and hiking up to thousand islands lake (a bit from Mammoth, CA). Not only am I agonizing about how heavy my camera gear is... but choosing a lightweight tent is bothering me too. The freestanding tents that are considered ultralight are not so "ultralight" when you add camera gear to the mix... but they do offer nice weather protection. Bivies and Tarps are light, but offer much less protection.

Are you guys that hike using trekking-pole-based shelters, ultralight non-freestanding tents, or freestanding tents?

... and I take it most of you use down bags since they are light and stuff down to very small sizes so easily?

Great thread!