The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Film to digital scanning services

johnnygoesdigital

In my quest to fulfill a desire to shoot landscapes with as much IQ as possible, I've visited using T/S adapters on my H4D, using my DB for a view camera etc. Although, these are viable, albeit expensive options, nothing seems to compare to a 4x5 film negative in IQ for printing big. Yes, scans are expensive too and that is why i'm looking for a reputable company to develop and scan and transfer to CD, my film images. I've been told that most companies only scan to 40mb or so in jpg, that can be converted to a tiff to archive later, with no loss of resolution...so they say. In comparing a 6x7 neg to a 4x5 for scanning, to print up to 16x20, is there a real difference in image quality, tonality, etc.? Bigger prints then that, I know the answer, but just trying to still shoot film and keep costs reasonable. I know I give up movements with the 6x7 and have to make the choice between the two formats.

R

Ronan

I am also looking for a good company to scan 120 film to as high a resolution possible. So far... bleah :(

I don't shoot enough 120 film to warrant owning a scanner ether..

I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread!

bradhusick

I too need a place that will scan MF, but I need about 1000 inexpensive low-res scans (almost like contact sheets) before I choose the keepers to scan at hi-res.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Doug is correct...West Coast Imaging has set a standard that will be tough to match...anywhere.

East Coast maybe Duggal.

Bob

doug

I too need a place that will scan MF, but I need about 1000 inexpensive low-res scans (almost like contact sheets) before I choose the keepers to scan at hi-res.
A flat bed scanner that can handle transparent material might be the most cost-effective tool for this task.

T

tetsrfun

Looking at "low" prices for 120/220 scans, seems to run $0.99 to $1.99. For a 1000+ scans, an Epson 700 series would be very cost effective for what you need.

Steve

bradhusick

Thanks. These low priced scans are still 3000dpi - way more than what I need. Also, I have a flatbed but I want someone else to do the work. Ideally, I want low-res (300dpi) scans for something like $0.10 ea.

doug

Thanks. These low priced scans are still 3000dpi - way more than what I need. Also, I have a flatbed but I want someone else to do the work. Ideally, I want low-res (300dpi) scans for something like $0.10 ea.
Perhaps you could pay a high school student to run your flat bed scanner.

Stuart Richardson

If you are in Iceland, I can do it for you on a Hasselblad X5. Probably for a lot less than what you would get in the US (I would charge something around 18 dollars for a full resolution 16mb tiff at 500mb). But if you want 4x5 at maximum resolution, you want a high end flatbed or a drum scanner. The X5 is great, but at 2040dpi for 4x5, there is still more detail to be had on the film. It is good for printing up to 1x1.25m, but larger than that and you want a higher rez scan.

Stuart Richardson

Oh, and to answer the second question, I would say there is very little difference between a good scan of 6x7 and 4x5 at 16x20. 6x7 from something like the Mamiya 7 still has extremely sharp detail that is barely visible and grain is not visible unless you are using fast film. If you are shooting something like Tmax or Acros or slide film, I would say no, you are not going to see a real difference. In my experience, 6x7 will give you a gorgeous 1mx1.25m print, and larger than that if you are willing to accept some softness at closer viewing distances.

Stuart Richardson

Brad, to do this yourself is really easy and much more economical. If you have your own flatbed scanner (even a consumer one) you are set, otherwise you can get a photographic light table and take a macro lens on your digital camera and just photograph the slides or negatives on the table. Invert it in photoshop and voila, you have a contact sheet. You can easily set up the camera and light table once and do many contact sheets at a time and batch process them in photoshop. I would not recommend this for a high quality scan, but with todays digital cameras, this is a really easy way to get a easy, useful contact sheet with minimal effort. I usually do this instead of making a paper contact sheet (which requires setting up the darkroom and paying for the paper and chemicals etc).

This would be an example of what it looks like when done with a D3:

Professional

I am quite happy with my V750, even i wish sometimes to get better scanner, we have a lab who can scan with drum scanners up to 8x10 sheets, and the quality is amazing, maybe the price is way high but it can be paid for something worthy, and i am thinking to save next year to get the Flextight, and i am ready to scan FREE or even $0.10-0.50 with my V750 for those who don't have scanner for LF films, they have only to pay the shipping ;)