The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Whoo hoo!! At long last, my Hy6 has arrived!

David K

Workshop Member
Ciao Theodore, and welcome to the forum as I see this is your first post. It's nice to see the MF group growing and it appears that the Hy6 format is gaining in popularity. I also like these candid kit shots... first time I've seen the film magazine on this body. Those red buttons are pretty sharp looking :)

T

Theo

Ciao Theodore, and welcome to the forum as I see this is your first post. It's nice to see the MF group growing and it appears that the Hy6 format is gaining in popularity. I also like these candid kit shots... first time I've seen the film magazine on this body. Those red buttons are pretty sharp looking :)
Thanks David,
Yes, when I got it in April, the dealers didn't even know how to use any buttons, red or otherwise (even with the price tag of 5 digits!!!) and even told me the film cassette couldn't change position :angry: So I ended up finding this all out by myself. Rolleiflex were kind enough to send a film mask for the viewfinder, which wasn't in the package. And there were no complete instruction included, just a quicky user's guide. So I ended up using the SINAR Hy6 PDF (thank you Internet) for getting to some extra menus. But I guess that is part of being a Hy6 pioneer :clap:
Ciao,
Theo

T

thsinar

Ciao Theo!

Hello all,
Can't afford the 75LV, except to rent it, but will be getting the 54LV in the fall. Hope to wait it out and save to upgrade to further SINAR digital back developments in a couple of years. Anyway, I will ALWAYS still shoot film also in parallel.
Should you not need the live video function, when tethered, there is a eMotion 75 non-LV and which costs about Euro 2'000.- less than the e75 LV.
This FYI.

Hey Thierry, by the way: if I buy the 45 prism from SINAR for my Rollei Hy6, the badge name will change to SINAR....Will SINAR charge me for another camera body as well :ROTFL:
Theodore
Yes, the badge name will be Sinar.

And yes, of course, we charge for another camera body, if not bought from us!
;)

Best regards,
Thierry

BradleyGibson

Welcome, Theo!

I haven't seen the film kit either, very nice!!

Do you plan to stay 645 or go 6x6 when the film back is ready?

-Brad

David K

Workshop Member
I am thinking of getting the 6x6 film back but haven't decided yet. I'm afraid to ask how much they will cost.

Last edited:
T

Theo

Welcome, Theo!

I haven't seen the film kit either, very nice!!

Do you plan to stay 645 or go 6x6 when the film back is ready?

-Brad
Hi Brad,
For sure, I will buy the 6x6 when it comes, I actually can't wait..I am in the process of re-discovering film in MF after a life in 35mm! The 6x6 film back, compared to the 75 LV you have, shouldn't break the bank :eek:

I got hold of the last batch of AGFA Scala (my absolute favorite- have about 150 rolls in my freezer in between the steaks + vegetables), and when you see that film developed, digital still has a ways to go! But that's mostly for art stuff; for production use it just takes way too much time. I think in the next 5-8 years, digital is really going to get a lot better still. Yet I still stand by film for pictures to replace using digital and its high noise levels under bad lighting.

P.S. Ordered the 50mm AFD. Can't wait to get it after seeing your wide shots!
Cheers,
Theo

N

Natasa Stojsic

Hi Brad,
The 6x6 film back, compared to the 75 LV you have, shouldn't break the bank :eek:

Cheers,
Theo
Theo, you are right... with film you should be good with just parking meters!!!:ROTFL:

Seriously, both of you made excellent choices:thumbs: I just wish Phase would come up with the solution...... even though I heard they already did, I can't motivate myself further based on that alone until I see it!!!

I wish SINAR would at least make long exposure available on 75 LV or Bigger Screen......, perhaps both would be the best:thumbup:

Thierry, any news/updates about SINAR at Photokina, I heard few things but I
thought I better ask????:)

BTW: Brad, very nice images:thumbup:

David K

Workshop Member
Theo, if I get that 6x6 film back I'll be expecting a refrigerated package from you :) We all know MF digital isn't for the faint of heart but when I look at my new 45 degree prism and think that it cost more than my Mamiyz RZ Pro IID with a lens or two...

T

Theo

Theo, if I get that 6x6 film back I'll be expecting a refrigerated package from you :) We all know MF digital isn't for the faint of heart but when I look at my new 45 degree prism and think that it cost more than my Mamiyz RZ Pro IID with a lens or two...
David, you are so right about the costs. And if you do get a 6x6 back I'll dig out some rolls from between the frozen peas for you :D

The only positive side about all the costs (I hope !!) are the long-term benefits.

With both film & digital areas covered, I am hoping (as you are also I guess) that we will be 'covered' for a good long number of years....Although as the backs get even more advanced we will still be dishing out more $$$$$ :banghead:

But like cars i think: trade in the old one towards a new one, pay the difference. Still better than having to get a whole new body each time AND a back to boot! And most important, the continuity of the glass, the biggest investment, is insured.
Cheers,
Theo

BradleyGibson

Hi, Theo,

Looking forward to see some results from your 50! Also whenever it does come out, I'd like to hear your impressions on the 6060 back. It's definitely intriguing!

Natasa, thank you! Yes, I'd like to see the Hy6 open up as well--I feel it would make all the product offerings the best they could be; I agree with you on the Sinar--long exposures and a bigger screen would be nice. I'd also like a multi-channel histogram and direct DNG output from the back--but who knows what September will bring? :)

-Brad

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Heck Thierry I am tired of waiting to hear what Photokinia is going to bring from all the OEM's. I'm like a kid in a candy store i just hate to wait to hear stuff. LOL

It's a shame in a lot of ways that the Oem's just don't put out a road map of what is next ahead of time. I know all the reasons for it, no question. I just have no patience. I still have yet to be surprised for Christmas on presents . :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Stuart Richardson

Theo -- would you mind saying where you got the film version of the Rollei hy6? The only place I have seen that sells the body only is at Kurland photo, and it is nearly 10,000 dollars. I shoot the 6008af, so I already have the lenses and the 4560 back, so I am curious as to how much the body and 4560 adapter alone cost....either way, I will wait until the 6x6 back, but I am curious.

T

Theo

Theo -- would you mind saying where you got the film version of the Rollei hy6? The only place I have seen that sells the body only is at Kurland photo, and it is nearly 10,000 dollars. I shoot the 6008af, so I already have the lenses and the 4560 back, so I am curious as to how much the body and 4560 adapter alone cost....either way, I will wait until the 6x6 back, but I am curious.
You got it: Kurland.
It was a bit of a problem- the Rollei Hy6 kit they sold had the AF 80mm, not the AFD. I got them much lower than their list on eBay, but it went back to the $10,000 because I preferred the AFD version.

The SINAR USA stores could not guarantee having the filmback, nor the adapter ring until after end of May or sometime in June.

Then the SINAR prices in USA all changed, so when the SINAR dealers called me back officially, the prices were higher than originally stated by phone.

Then no-one could guarantee if this or that was included or not in the price of the complete body, it was a nightmare. And while I would be in NY, there was exactly one SINAR body in the USA (they ALL told me this!)...:talk028:

Then buying the AFD 80mm was about $3,0000 when separately bought....Bla, bla, bla.

Then I checked the prices in Europe- they were OUTRAGEOUS to start with, then we have 19% sales tax on top of all that as well. Phew :angry:

So with the low Dollar/Euro etc. I ended up still saving a lot of cash by paying a premium- unbelievable as it may sound.
However if I could have waited a month for the 4.5 back, and some weeks for the adapter, and more weeks for a separate AFD 80mm, I could have saved more perhaps...but then shipping etc. Who knows what's best in these situations.
Hope for others it easier!
Cheers,
Theo
P.S. I even have to wait more than a month for the 50mm AFD as well. But I don't mind now I have the Hy6 here.

Stuart Richardson

Yes, it's funny. It seems like they are conspiring to PREVENT people from buying this stuff. (Yes, of course I know this is not the case, but it SEEMS like it.) It is very odd that you can't just go to a store, even a high-end store and just buy the camera and the items you need to make it work.