The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tripod head-Arca Swiss? Manfrotto? Cambo?

N

nicksouth

Hi all,
I used an Arca Swiss Z1 ballhead for a, now sold, Canon setup. I am currently assembling a medium format system based around the the Cambo RS body. The Arca Swiss is a great ballhead but i think maybe a geared type head may be a better option for a technical camera(landscapes only).

Three options i have considered:

1. Cambo leveling base with the Arca Ball
2. Arca Cube
3. Manfrotto 410 Junior

Any words of wisdom concerning these three options?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers
Nick.

Terry

There is a new Arca geared head called the D4 waiting for it to arrive stateside. I will try and dig up the info but it s in a thread for the new Rm3Di from Photokina timeframe.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Cube - as Bill says, prepared to be assimilated & resistance is futile ... :thumbs:

Manfrotto 410 - certainly a great head but make sure that you can live with the horrible Manfrotto plate, and if so definitely replace the mounting screw with a bolt so that you can make sure it's tight. Better yet, stick an Arca style clamp on top and bolt that on. The Manfrotto plate certainly mounts well on the head but the camera mounting is the thing you need to consider.

I'd try it first also to see if you like the gearing of the 410. The release on the adjustment dials is useful if you want coarse adjustment as it is pretty low geared.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Once you try the Cube, anything else will seem rickety and difficult to adjust. And I'm not just saying that to justify a recent purchase. Oh no!

Best,

Matt

N

nicksouth

Hello all,
Guess I'm going to have to pop another couple of thousand in the medium format budget!
Thanks again.

S

stewpid

Another vote for the 410. Easy to use with the quick adjustment and then the gears for fine setting. I bought it for my Canon stuff but it copes easily with a Hass + 50-110 zoom (heavy lens). Great value and can't see much point in paying more.

RodK

As several said above the Cube is an excellent head and handles everything well from light to small with aplomb. The new D4 gear head is a smaller fully geared head for those that don't have a heavy weight requirement but, want the precision movements.
Some info at: rodklukas.com