Site Sponsors

Thread: Mamiya 120/4 Macro

Post Thanks / Like

Mamiya 120/4 Macro

In various forums I keep seeing references to the Mamiya 120/4 manual focus macro. Phrases like 'scary sharp', the lens being a 'must have' for Mamiya shooters, etc.m repeatedly come up.

With no real MTF or photodo data on Mamiya lenses out there, my curiosity has been tickled. Is the lens a sleeper or over-rated?

I know it as a floating element and ED glass, but as a baseline, for those that have used it , how would you compare it against say the CZ 100 MP, the Leica 100 APO, EF 100, Nikon 105 VR, etc.,?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Mamiya 120/4 Macro

It's phenomenal. I saw report somewhere that rated it as the single best MF lens ever tested, but that was a few years ago and things may be different now. Regardless, it's reputation is well deserved
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. I am just amazed that MTF or test data for Mamiya glass, once so popular, just doesn't seem to exist.

Post Thanks / Like

Jack, has is it reputed to compare to the new 120mm macro "D"?

Post Thanks / Like

I think (don't quote me) the primary purpose of the upgrade was essentially chipping the lens for communication with the camera/back. Got curious and did some digging and the impression I'm getting is that very few if any optical forumla changes were made. Again, just an impression from the various material I have managed to find.

Jack - that is saying something considering the reputation the Contax 645 120 macro has.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    I think (don't quote me) the primary purpose of the upgrade was essentially chipping the lens for communication with the camera/back. Got curious and did some digging and the impression I'm getting is that very few if any optical forumla changes were made. Again, just an impression from the various material I have managed to find.

Jack - that is saying something considering the reputation the Contax 645 120 macro has.
    This lens is on my short list, and this is consistent with what I've read. However I have yet to find any direct comparisons b/n the versions. I've sort of come to the conclusion that it'll be pretty good and that's probably all I need to know – other than where to get the money for the lens, of course.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is what I have heard: The CURRENT 645AF Manual Focus version is the same optical formula as the immediate all manual predecessor. Contacts were added to allow electronic aperture control and normal metering with AF-D bodies. There is a new "digital" version coming out soon the will be auto focus as well -- but whether or not it will be the same optical formula, I do not know...
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for clarification, Jack. The box of the current model has the "645 AF" imprinted on it, so I was thinking that the auto-focus (i.e. "digital") were starting to show up. My error was in thinking the AF indicated that this was the auto-focusing newest version.

Auto focus is not of interest to me for macro work, but it might be nice to have if one were to use the lens for portraits, etc. Still, if the arrival of the newest version will push the recent manual-focus model down in price I'll likely go with that.

thsinar

it is very unlikely that the new version have a new optical design, knowing that (depending on the lens type/construction) it needs roughly and minimum 1 1/2 years to design a new lens, some types more than 2 years.

Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Here is what I have heard: The CURRENT 645AF Manual Focus version is the same optical formula as the immediate all manual predecessor. Contacts were added to allow electronic aperture control and normal metering with AF-D bodies. There is a new "digital" version coming out soon the will be auto focus as well -- but whether or not it will be the same optical formula, I do not know...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've been using the 120mm/f4 since 2002 and can state that in some situations it'll put to shame the Schneider Digitar 120mm Macro as well as the Rodenstock 100HR, both known to be very good lenses.

I hope they are not going to ruin it by adding AF element/s.....

Yair
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I needed one of these this morning actually. Yair I think it is just more electrical contacts to match the new bodies. But I am not sure on this. It is confusing buying one because there are several versions of it. Since when did Mamiya become like leica with all these versions.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yair nice to see you posting , hope to see more of you here. Any tidbits on upcoming Photokinia you can throw some crumbs out for us.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Question for Jack or Guy,

The history of the lens, is from what I can tell, 3 basic versions.

1. The original manual focus, with the manual aperture ring, but auto diaphram switch, which I thought means that you can have the lens wide open for focus, then hit the switch and it will stop down for metering. But from certain descriptions, I have read that the switch just turns the lens aperture to full manual or auto (auto like how the 24 TSE works on the Canon). Do either of you know exactly how the aperture works?

2. 2nd version that had no manual aperature ring, so I assume it works like the Canon 24 TSE, wide open for foucs but stops down when you hit the shutter to the F stop set by the camera

3. Third version is the same as number 2 but has the Digital name. I have read that this is just software in the lens to allow it to work better with a digital back, not sure.

There seem to be alot of them on the market at times, but I have held of purchase since I am still not sure how the 1st version's aperture works. I would rather not want to stop down manually and can't tell if that is required or not with it.

Jack's info on the AF version is interesting, but if it prices like all the rest of the new glass 3 to 4K, I will have to wait and get a used one.

Thanks
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like

I think there needs to be some clarification from Jack's post.

The Mamiya "D" 120mm F4 macro is already out and has been for a while. They are roughly $2K. Ahmuay is the handle for the ebay seller who sometimes has these for around $1350. At that price they are most likely not USA warranty versions, but a great price though for new. All 3 versions of the lens are manual focus. No actual autofocus. The focusing is so "long" from infinity to close-up that AF is generally not an option.

The oldest M645 version with aperture ring must be manually stopped down for use on the AF bodies. The AF bodies have no manual aperture control lever for any lens made for the M645 series.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Paul I am actually somewhat confused on it. Be nice if we had info from Mamiya on this and what changes actually are. i don't think the glass has changed but they confuse you with AF . There not AF lenses per say. They won't auto focus

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Exactly -- there are three versions total, first is all manual, the second one is labeled "D" not for digital, but to work on the AF-D body and is manual focus but electronic auto aperture -- and those two share the same optical formula -- and then the third is the yet-to-be-released AF DIGITAL version, optical formula as of yet unknown...
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Jack,

Where did you hear of this super secret yet to be released 120 macro lens?

That would be the fourth version.

Post Thanks / Like

I was getting confused as well, and only found info regarding the January 2008 announcement and release of the "D" version. That's MF with new CPU, and I believe the same one that John referenced in post #14.

The Mamyia site has a news release and PDF document that discusses this 2008 model. I've read elsewhere of the auto-focus "Digital" version that is "coming", but I'm thinking that it's a mythical lens based on confusion over the AF(D) nomenclature.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay, then I am mistaken and the third one is already released and is the AF-D, but is still manual focus? I thought they announced an AF version a while back and remember reading somewhere it had been updated for digital backs and was AF, due out after the 150/2.8 and 45-90 started shipping.
    Jack

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Jack - I remember reading the same thing, that a newer yet version of the 120 Macro was coming with auto focus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So the ones we see for around 1300 are the ones that are the latest. Let's not talk of that 150 2.8 , i want that lens really bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by harmsr View Post
    Jack - I remember reading the same thing, that a newer yet version of the 120 Macro was coming with auto focus.
    I know that I have read it also, but just can't confirm the validity of the reports. I had been under the impression that it was to be in the class with the new lenses like the 45-90 (and that other one that Guy doesn't want to mention), but maybe the reports were wishful thinking. (?)

It does seem odd that they'd announce one in January of this year (MF) and also be planning to release it's replacement within a short time frame.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well since at least three of us remember reading the same thing, I am sure we did. However, as Dale points out, the validity of it now seems questionable -- but I seem to remember it coming from Mamiya in that same email about the new 150 and 45-90...
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I believe the ones you see for $1300 are not the 2008 version. I thought the "D", came out mainly as an upgraded 120mm for use with the Digial backs.

The ones that are $1300 that I have seen are the 2nd version I was referring to, which don't have the manual aperture ring but don't have the D label. The two lens look identical to the casual glance.

The "D" version of the was announced with the 150mm F2.8. They were announced right after the 28mm F4.5. I believe that the 28mm was the first of the "D" lenses. For a while on Mamiya's site there was a PDF file on the 120mm and 150mm D glass and what the improvements were but I wasn't able to find it today.

I have yet to find a D version for under $1800.00

Here is a link for a 2nd series on ebay,

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mamiya-120mm-f4-...QQcmdZViewItem

Paul C

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is Mamiya's stick

With an angle of view of 33 degrees, this lens is equivalent to a 73mm focal length in 35mm format. Pinpoint sharpness with manual focusing is confirmed from infinity to 1:1 magnification with a green diode in the 645AFD III/II viewfinder. This lens provides a flattering perspective suitable for tight portraits, and permits good working distances in or out of the studio. It can be used for anything from extreme detailed close-ups to full-length portraits. The lens is manually focused (MF) and utilizes focus confirmation in the Mamiya 645AFD III and 645AFD II bodies plus auto-diaphragm operation.

Anomalous dispersion optical glass is employed to reduce chromatic aberrations, which results in APO-quality lens performance when focused from infinity to 1:2 magnification, and significantly reduces chromatic aberration from 1:2 to 1:1 magnification. The optical engineering and multi-coatings of this lens achieve excellent color balance, high contrast and high resolution over the entire focusing range, which is an extraordinary accomplishment for a Macro lens. The barrel design reduces flare significantly.

Mamiya uses eco-glass, which contains no lead or arsenic, maintaining the company’s "Earth-friendly, Nature-friendly" policy.

The Sekor MF 120mm f/4 D utilizes a 16 bit CPU that allows easy firmware upgrading, finer lens characteristic correction and faster, more reliable communication between the lens, camera body and digital back.

Sekor MF 120mm f/4 D Portrait/Macro Specifications
    Optical Construction 9 elements, 8 groups
    Angle of View 33°
    Minimum Aperture 32
    Diaphragm Automatic
    Focusing System Manual (focus confirmation)
    Minimum Focusing Distance 1.3 ft. (40 cm)
    Maximum Magnification 1:1
    Area Covered 1.65 x 2.25" (42 x 56 mm)
    Equivalent 35mm Focal Length 73mm / 84mm with ZD Back
    Filter Size 67mm
    Lens Hood Built-in
    Dimensions (L x W) 4.4 x 3.25" (111 x 83mm)
    Weight 1.8 lbs (835g)
    Compatible cameras 645AFD II/645AFD III/ZD

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Did anyone ever see this report; maybe easier to read here http://www.mamiya.com/assets/pdfs/64...ensesChart.pdf

The fact that many of America’s top professional photographers prefer
    Mamiya cameras with their world-class Mamiya Lenses, is perhaps the
    best testimonial to Mamiya lens quality. As the old saying goes, “The
    proof of the pudding is in the eating”; the proof of lenses is the image
    quality they produce.
    Popular Photography Magazine’s Test Reports
    Now we have the good fortune to prove what we are saying, because
    this leading magazine tested both Carl ZeissTM lenses for the ContaxTM
    645 and Mamiya Lenses for the Mamiya 645AF, and published the results
    in the November ‘99 and April ‘00 issues, respectively. (Reprinted with
    their permission)
    The following concluding paragraph says it all:
    “Conclusion: All the Mamiya AF lenses performed outstandingly, on a
    par with or better than other medium-format autofocusing lenses we’ve
    tested. Mamiya has placed the AF motor in the camera body, which
    keeps down the weight and cost of the lenses – a smart move, we think.
    Overall handling was nice (no aperture rings!), switching between manual
    and autofocus was easy, and most important, our pictures were very
    sharp. Pricing is moderate for the category, falling between the relatively
    low-cost Pentax lenses and the more expensive Contax 645 AF optics.”
    Please note: Of the nine lenses presently available for the Mamiya
    645AF and the lenses presently available for the Contax 645, only three
    lenses of identical focal length have been tested by Popular Photography
    and are compared in this report.
    These comparisons could leave the impression that we attach an inferior
    label to a worthy competitor. That’s not the intention. We just want to
    provide you with the facts.
    Lenses
    A Comparison with Carl Zeiss
    TM
    Lenses*
    How good are
    Mamiya
    ®
    *Contax Distagon T
    TM
    , Planar T
    TM
    and SonnarT
    TM
    lenses
    All trademarks are the property of their respective owners
    116924 2/7/01, 10:27 AM
    Popular Photography®Magazine Lens Testing Results
    The numbers below indicate resolution in Lines/mm at center and corners of image.
    Mamiya lens resolution results below are taken from the April 2000 issue of Popular Photography.
    Contax lens resolution results below are taken from the November 1999 issue of Popular Photography.
    Mamiya 645 AF 45mm f/2.8
    & Contax Distagon T* 45mm f/2.8
    Resolution at center
    f-stop Mamiya Contax
    2.8 excellent 50 excellent 50
    4 excellent 62 excellent 70
    5.6 excellent 78 excellent 78
    8 excellent 70 excellent 70
    11 excellent 65 excellent 70
    16 excellent 62 excellent 62
    22 excellent 50 excellent 50
    32 – – very good 40
    Resolution at corners
    Mamiya Contax
    very good 28 good 24
    very good 31 very good 31
    very good 35 good 28
    excellent 39 very good 35
    excellent 45 very good 35
    excellent 42 excellent 36
    excellent 39 very good 32
    – – good 28
    Mamiya 645 AF 80mm f/2.8
    & Contax Planar T* 80mm f/2
    Resolution at center
    f-stop Mamiya Contax
    2 – – excellent 53
    2.8 excellent 70 excellent 53
    4 excellent 78 excellent 67
    5.6 excellent 68 excellent 84
    8 excellent 70 excellent 75
    11 excellent 70 excellent 67
    16 excellent 62 excellent 53
    22 excellent 48 excellent 53
    Resolution at corners
    Mamiya Contax
    – – acceptable 18
    excellent 35 acceptable 21
    excellent 44 acceptable 25
    excellent 49 good 28
    excellent 44 good 33
    excellent 44 excellent 41
    excellent 39 excellent 40
    good 31 very good 35
    Mamiya 645 AF 210mm f/4 IF
    & Contax Sonnar T* 210mm f/4
    Resolution at center
    f-stop Mamiya Contax
    4 excellent 77 excellent 64
    5.6 excellent 70 excellent 51
    8 excellent 69 excellent 51
    11 excellent 69 very good 45
    16 excellent 54 very good 40
    22 good 43 excellent 45
    32 good 34 very good 40
    45 – – good 36
    Resolution at corners
    Mamiya Contax
    excellent 49 very good 28
    excellent 49 excellent 34
    excellent 54 excellent 40
    excellent 54 very good 36
    very good 43 good 33
    good 30 very good 36
    acceptable 27 excellent 38
    – – good 33
    * “ –”denotes that a value is not applicable.
    ** The Mamiya AF 55mm f/2.8 and AF APO 300mm f/4.5 IF lenses are not included in above comparisons.
    There are no direct equivalent focal lengths in the Contax autofocus lens system.
    116924_1 2/7/01 10:18 AM Page 1
    Popular Photography Lens Resolution Tests Comparison
    Mamiya @ center
    Mamiya @ corners
    Contax @ center
    Contax @ corners
    Mamiya @ center
    Mamiya @ corners
    Contax @ center
    Contax @ corners
    116924_1 2/7/01 10:18 AM Page 2
    Mamiya Designs and Manufactures Its Own Lenses
    Mamiya has set very high performance goals for both its cameras and lenses.In order to assure this high standard
    is maintained for professional phorographers, Mamiya designs and manufactures its own lenses, in its own factory,
    to its own specifications.Unlike other manufacturers of medium format cameras, Mamiya does not entrust this task
    to others, but rather attends to every detail in the design and manufacturing process.
    Engineers at Mamiya have developed rigorous performance criteria for each lens design.No detail is overlooked.
    No test is omitted.The goal is technical perfection...The result is a series of lenses which have set the new world-
    standard of performance.
    Each lens element is precisely polished and coated using Mamiya’s proprietary multi-coating process to increase
    light transmission, dramatically reduce flare, ensure crisp, clean whites and vibrant, yet natural colors.
    Mamiya engineers and inspectors test continuously as the lens is assembled to insure flawless quality.The result is
    a lens designed so carefully, built so meticulously, that it consistently renders extraordinary performance!
    It is Mamiya’s unique balance of extreme sharpness, brilliant contrast, accurate and consistent color fidelity and
    overall high performance that captures the imagination of contemporary photographers who choose Mamiya to
    express their personal visions.
    Among today’s community of world famous photographers, Mamiya lenses have established themselves as the new
    benchmark by which others are measured.
    MAMIYA AMERICA CORPORATION
    8 Westchester Plaza, Elmsford, NY 10523
    Phone: 914-347-3300 • Fax: 914-347-3309
    E-mail: [email protected] • Web site: www.mamiya.com
    Mamiya @ center
    Mamiya @ corners
    Contax @ center
    Contax @ corners
    116924_1 2/7/01 10:18 AM Page 3

Post Thanks / Like

Every month, ebay seller Ahmuay in California has the 120mm D Macro for sale, brand new for less than $1400 buy it now. Are they USA versions? No way of confirming. I have asked the seller with no response. But, I have been told by several people on Luminous-Landscape medium format forum that have purchased a lot of Mamiya gear from that seller with great success, very reliable.

For anyone on a Mac, download for free Garagebuy http://www.iwascoding.com/GarageBuy

This little app rocks!. You can save endless searches for items on ebay and have everything in a single app, update daily or more often, watch auctions.

I have 30-40 saved searches for all types of stuff to keep an eye on things. I never really need to go to ebay unless to view the listing in a browser (but that can still be done in Garagebuy), or check a seller out.

In a few minutes each day, I can get my full ebay updates. Saves a huge amount of time.
    Last edited by schweikert; 27th June 2008 at 19:24.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I bought my 300mm AF from him and it is brand new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    It's phenomenal. I saw report somewhere that rated it as the single best MF lens ever tested, but that was a few years ago and things may be different now. Regardless, it's reputation is well deserved
    A bit of a tangent here.....but can anyone offer a comparison of this Mamiya 120/4 Macro with the Hasselblad 120/4 Macro? I've been thinking of adding a CF/CFE 120/4 "Makro" to my collection of lenses.....I'm just wondering if the Hasselblad lens is considered to be anywhere near as good as this Mamiya lens appears to be.

Gary

P.S. Although I should just be saving my pennies for this beauty....and finally join the MFDB club.
    Last edited by bensonga; 23rd April 2009 at 19:47.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that I think you can hardly go wrong with any relatively recent model Zeiss lens, so if that's the baby you want, I say go for it . But in the same breath, I would add that the comparable macros from Hassy-Fuji, Contax Kyocera-Zeiss or Mamiya are all going to be outstanding performers too. And if you get one of these that isn't a good performer, then I'd suspect it is out somehow defective or out of adjustment.

Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually it is very simple; there are 2 versions in production right now, with the only physical difference being a different chip in the D version. Visually they look very similar but the D has an Aluminium "decorative" touch, taken from the new 80mm/f2.8 D.
    Both don't have an aperture ring as it is controlled via dials on the grip.

AFAIK there is no AF version planned, and there shouldn't be since AF can only introduce trouble on such a specialised lens (specialised as in Macro, Wide Angle, T/S etc.).

BTW I am disappointed with the AFDIII and was expecting it to bring some most needed improvements over its predecessor. Unfortunately it doesn't.
    Still a very good system but the shutter lag the small-ish finder still put it behind the AFi and H3D (not to mention the 1/125 sync).

Yair
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know little about the Mamiya 120 Macro, but the Hasselblad 120 HC Macro is in a class of its own with respect to past lenses. It allows 1:1 images without extenders and is a general purpose lens as well as a macro beauty. I got mine new, from Kurland, at $2900, where the list price is about $3650! Great discount I say.

My older Zeiss 120 Macro was also an outstanding lens but required extension tubes to get to 1:1 and had some really noticeable flare. The newer lens seems to have fixed these noxious issues. Glad I was able to make the switch.

Let's keep posting our experiences about this lens.It is a remarkable product which hits the center line of our needs for an MFDB product!

My HMO.......what do you think?

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    A bit of a tangent here.....but can anyone offer a comparison of this Mamiya 120/4 Macro with the Hasselblad 120/4 Macro? I've been thinking of adding a CF/CFE 120/4 "Makro" to my collection of lenses.....I'm just wondering if the Hasselblad lens is considered to be anywhere near as good as this Mamiya lens appears to be.

Gary

P.S. Although I should just be saving my pennies for this beauty....and finally join the MFDB club.
    Beautiful product shots of the Hasselblad with the 40 CF (CFE IF?) lens. Don't know what it looks like with the 120 CFE IF macro but I love that lens. The issue is how does the older CFE compare with the newer HC 120? I love the fact that you can get to 1:1 without extension tubes and have a much more versatile solution to GP as well as close up image making. Love to hear some comments about your experiences with this combination

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

How about some sample shots showing what these lenses can kick out? You compare the various MTFs to say the stellar Leica APO and can't help but come away under-whelmed, but MTFs don't necessarily correlate with real life pic quality -especially in today's day of MFDB and DSLRs with the same pixel pitch -- vs the days of 35mm/MF film emulsions.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Lens looks fine to me... 3 sec @ f/11. ZD @ ISO 50. C1 4.1, processed desaturated to ChromeSpace, then saturated with ChromeSpace +35. Not the most exciting shot, it's just window lit with a gold reflector - and I couldn't really get enough fill into the dark areas so looks a bit dead. This is the N mount version of the lens.

What can I say. The lens does what it's supposed to... The 22MP back doesn't make it break a sweat.

Still fine tuning the processing; it's pretty sensitive to the raster showing through. I doubt that would really show in print though, and suspect it's mostly a result of inspecting fine detail on a high-contrast LCD display.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looking awfully darn good for a $300 lens Jan!!!

Jack

Post Thanks / Like

As they say 'nice at twice the price' - looks very good.
    "Raster showing through...."?

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, right you were wondering how it performs relative to the Leica APO 100.
    I'd say it's comparable to the Macro 60. It doesn't have the bite of the 100, and is slightly flatter in contrast. It also has what appears to be a slight flare veil that manifests itself as a slightly right shifted histogram. It rolls off a little at the top. It's not a Leica, but in absolute terms it's a very good lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post

Gary

Gary

The V CFE 120 Macro is now my lens of choice for product shots. The only downside is that you really need (expensive hasselblad) extension tubes to get to 1:1 or even close. For 1:1 you need two of the 56mm tubes and if I recall those puppies go for close to $400 EACH! The new 120 HD macro lens for the H3 series goes directly to 1:1 without extenders. However the downside is that this lens is huge and heavy compared to my V series Zeiss lens. So I am going to use the V lens and bite the bullet on extension tubes. Makes more sense to me although the other point of view is to use the HD lens as a more general purpose lens as it has autofocus and if you believe the press, less flare. Apparently the new lens also has the ability to select the focus zone you want ( I believe there are four positions) and thus optimize things for macro, infinity etc. I have no experience with this lens so I can't comment on how all this translates to better imaging. Perhaps Marc Williams or others who have this lens can give us some insights.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

Jan, thanks. While no 100 APO (what is) the L 60 is no slouch from F4 onwards - the Mamiya sounds nice

It would be interesting to see/hear how the various MF macros stack up against one another let alone against their Leica, CZ, Nikkor brethren. The Hassy CF makro sells at a considerable premium to the Mamiya, so would be cursious to see/hear how they compare.