The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rodenstock Cambo lens options ( Rm3d?)

N

nicksouth

Hello all,
I am assembling a medium format kit based on the Cambo
RS and P45+.
The good guys at Capture Intergration have assisted me with much advice on lens and back options, now maybe final words of wisdom from some seasoned forum members!
I was considering a two lens kit, one wide and one normal focal length.
The three lenses i considered from Rodenstock were the 32mm, 40mm and 70mm HR options.
I realise the rear shifts give wide FOV with not so wide lenses but as i shoot(100% landscapes) long exposure stuff up to 30 sec-5 minutes. I feel regular stitching/ LCC slides/ dark slides will get a touch complicated fast!
I guess the 32mm would equate to 22mm in 35mm terms and the 40mm would equate to 28mm in 35mm terms, with the 70mm giving approx 50mm in 35mm terms?
I have also had advice from knowledgable source that the Rodenstock HR glass is a little more future proof on the new IQ sensors (possible upgrade) compared to the Schnieder XL galss which i also considered.
A tilt board would probably be used for the 40mm lens but perhaps the 32mm would not require tilt for dof?
Any tilting would be for plane of focus dof adjustments.
Finally to throw in yet another variable...how does the Arca Swiss Rm3d compare price wise to the Cambo RS??

Thanks in advance.

Nick
Fiordland
New Zealand.

RodK

Hello all,
I am assembling a medium format kit based on the Cambo
RS and P45+.
The good guys at Capture Intergration have assisted me with much advice on lens and back options, now maybe final words of wisdom from some seasoned forum members!
I was considering a two lens kit, one wide and one normal focal length.
The three lenses i considered from Rodenstock were the 32mm, 40mm and 70mm HR options.
I realise the rear shifts give wide FOV with not so wide lenses but as i shoot(100% landscapes) long exposure stuff up to 30 sec-5 minutes. I feel regular stitching/ LCC slides/ dark slides will get a touch complicated fast!
I guess the 32mm would equate to 22mm in 35mm terms and the 40mm would equate to 28mm in 35mm terms, with the 70mm giving approx 50mm in 35mm terms?
I have also had advice from knowledgable source that the Rodenstock HR glass is a little more future proof on the new IQ sensors (possible upgrade) compared to the Schnieder XL galss which i also considered.
A tilt board would probably be used for the 40mm lens but perhaps the 32mm would not require tilt for dof?
Any tilting would be for plane of focus dof adjustments.
Finally to throw in yet another variable...how does the Arca Swiss Rm3d compare price wise to the Cambo RS??

Thanks in advance.

Nick
Fiordland
New Zealand.
The Cambo is less expensive for less camera. The focusing mechanism is not as precise as The RM3di and does not offer the range of focus, near to far, either, that the RM3di does.
This is a function of the on lens focusing helical which allows only a limited travel for focusing, therefore truncating the focus range available.
But the accuracy of focus is where you can really see the difference. The RM3di is just so easy to get accurate focus and, using tilt, to extend focus range even further for increased depth of field.

And it is fun! Really fun to use!