The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Can MF take the heat

Dale Allyn

Guy, I'm glad that you mentioned the default settings on clipping warnings to others. I caught this on my first use of C-1 and regret that I did not bring it up here. I'm new to C-1 so I assume that I am way behind everyone else on all of this stuff. The reason I caught it so early was that I watched the tutorial videos on the Phase One site (something that I rarely do with stuff) and noticed the narrator set his highlight clipping at something like 243, and his shadow clipping at 10 or so. I thought he was "nuts", so adjusted mine right away.

Thanks for the reminder on the info in the adjustments tab for copying to other images. I forgot about this and will keep it in mind.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Now i can fine tune my back also with the color picker in 3.8.9 but I am going to wait for Doug to show me the correct way on that. C1 4.1 still needs a touch more work and just waiting on the new Pro version due out soon too. So wait till things settle a little and i get a better understanding of this box. Skin tones are really tough out here in our sun so rather judge that by studio stuff

Dale Allyn

I haven't upgraded 3.7.8 to 3.7.9 and so should do that I guess. I don't know what the differences are other than a couple of added cameras and such.

I don't like how v.4.1.1 doesn't allow color temp to be adjusted in 50 degree increments. I suppose it can be made up in tint with additional tweaking of saturation of tint in the WB tool, but it forces a change in workflow for me.

Guy Mancuso

Yea i am kind of waiting for the Pro version to get me totally fined tuned and also the new Phase body. Right now I feel I have a little bit of a mis-match of gear with this loaner body.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
While we're on the subject, one of the other thing I don't like about 4.1.1 is the inability to lock in presets or move processing palettes around. Hopefully Pro will allow us to create custom defaults and custom palette combinations.

Dale Allyn

What Jack said!

To be honest, I'm only using C-1 because it does a nice job on the files. The tool controls and other characteristics are very annoying to me. Part of this is most certainly due to the fact that I don't like change, and I'm used to other software.

If it was possible to get great file treatment with Phase files via a profiled solution with CS3/ACR I'd be all over that. Another member suggested that he got markedly better results after profiling, but I have not had time to delve into this approach.

I'm also finding 4.1.1 a bit buggy on my Mac (DP G5) so it doesn't give much confidence in my process. I have plenty to learn and I'm sure that will ease the process though.

robsteve

Subscriber
Robert not going to change that blue. It is what it is a faded blue T shirt and the red face is exactly what it is. RED. LOL
I wasn't worrying about the skin tones. They all looked like they were getting fried.

There is still a color issue, and it may just be that you need to profile your back. I noticed when you posted the fire engine shots that the fire engine red was a bit off and so was the yellow truck. Some if it was you warmed the image a bit, but something is still not right.

Earlier you mentioned the embedded profile of the back. Is this maybe not being used in the workflow correctly?

Robert

Guy Mancuso

Robert three questions

What monitor are you using and how old
Is it calibrated with what tools
what browser are you using

reason i ask is because they look as they did in real life. That is a yellow/green firetruck

Guy Mancuso

Not sure I can do better than this and not sure many camera's can get the detail in the trucks like that with regards to DR. That is a lot of stops. This is ISO 200 also which from what I have seen so far no difference at 100

robsteve

Subscriber
Robert three questions

What monitor are you using and how old
Is it calibrated with what tools
what browser are you using

reason i ask is because they look as they did in real life. That is a yellow/green firetruck
I am looking at them on my Macbook, which was calibrated with Xrite, but I should check it agian. To rule out the monitor, I had taken the photos into Photshop and used the color picker to sample a couple things that looked a bit too yellow like the pavement, it it showed a lot of yellow in the RGB numbers.

I am using Firfox 3 with the ICC enabled and checked it out to confirm. I also looked at them in Safari too.

Robert

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Something is weird. I know Guy knows color, but have to agree with Robert that this image looks too blue and I am viewing it in Safari. I took the liberty of pulling the jpeg above into CS and just doing a Q&D WB on the white between the lights of closest emergency vehicle, then dialed it back a bit because shade should have some blue. I get this, which looks maybe a tad too yellow but still better to me on my monitor. We had an issue with Browsers several months back so I am curious as to what tint differences folks see on these?

Guy Mancuso

See now it looks to warm..

Okay lets look at this image same scene almost white balanced directly off the truck see my circle came in at 5200 +4

Dale Allyn

Jack's version is very "jaundice" to me. Guy's is a bit too cool on the skin tones IMO (#52). And Guy's post in #49 definitely looks greenish on her arm to me.

Calibrated display (ACD + EyeOne Display 2) and Safari 3.04.

robsteve

Subscriber
Guy:

I just calibrated my monitor five minutes ago and nothing changed.

I opened the page in both Safari and Firefox 3. The firefox image looks a bit more saturated and a bit more red.

BTW, the file you posted was a tif. Is it a raw tif or a raw converted to a tif?

Robert

Guy Mancuso

And ACR just sucks over a stop too dark. Something is wrong with ACR and Phase files because it is way to dark. Kelvin comes in at 2350 what's up with that . Okay so WB off the same spot on truck it goes to 3450 Kelvin plus i have to add a stop of exposure. And typical red crap from ACR as usually. Everything RED, there freaking color blind at Abobe

Guy Mancuso

Guy:

I just calibrated my monitor five minutes ago and nothing changed.

I opened the page in both Safari and Firefox 3. The firefox image looks a bit more saturated and a bit more red.

BTW, the file you posted was a tif. Is it a raw tif or a raw converted to a tif?

Robert
That is a raw .tif Phase uses the same extension. Confusing