The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Can MF take the heat

Dale Allyn

I see from this that Jack's monitor or Jack's eye/taste is a bit warmer than mine (more to the yellow). Working with the RAW which Guy posted I'm liking a color temp of about 5200K and a tint of around +5. There is some room around that area that works for me. Adding about 8 to 10 in saturation at this point helps too. Shadow 6, Highlight 23. All in C-1 v4.1.1. (ICC Profile used was P25+ Flash)

One can get close to this by sampling the white straps in front of the oxygen bottle beneath the gurney behind her elbow. Note: the file is not the same as Jack is using.

Much of this may boil down to taste and ambient light at our workstations.

Last edited:

robsteve

Subscriber
Guy:

Are you using DCAM-4 as the editing space in Photoshop? I think I asked this earlier in the thread, but didn't get an answer.

I opened the file using Capture 1 and there was a huge difference whether I used profoto or Dcam4 as the profile to save it with and edit in Photoshop.

Robert

woodyspedden

guy

To my taste (using Firefox 3 with my Eizo monitor totally calibrated) the images are very close to right. If you recall I was the one who initially thought the images you were shooting were too blue but granted that was in very early morning light.

At this point you may want to bump the red down a hair and the yellow up a hair. I will try it myself and see how I like it. But I think you are so close you need very little adjustment to get it spot on.

I am still early in the learning curve with my H3D and this stuff is not trivial. But boy, when you get it right............WOWZA

Best

Woody

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Well I just processed it in C1, set it to P25+ Daylight, film standard and Daylight WB and got exactly what you showed above. I thought it a bit better if I moved WB to 5800 and tint to 0, but that was a very minor change from yours, maybe 1/3 of the way toward my yeloow version above. Weird. Maybe it's just our personal preference or that uber high-contrast Arizona Sun LOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks Woody. It is damn close at least in my mind and what I am seeing. Not going to stress over it just yet. I will wait until Doug can help me from CI to get it maybe calibrated a little better. Scary thing is most clients have no clue about color management.

robsteve

Subscriber
I ran it through C1 V4 using, P25+ Portrait Neutral, film extra shadow, 5100,-2 and - .33 in exposure.

Here is the Dcam version converted to sRGB, followed by the Prophoto version, converted to sRGB. These are straight coversions. Some dodging and burning probably needs to be done to fine tune the image.

Robert

Guy Mancuso

Well I just processed it in C1, set it to P25+ Daylight, film standard and Daylight WB and got exactly what you showed above. I thought it a bit better if I moved WB to 5800 and tint to 0, but that was a very minor change from yours, maybe 1/3 of the way toward my yeloow version above. Weird. Maybe it's just that uber high-contrast Arizona Sun LOLOLOLOLOLOL!
Jack I think this is the real issue is this sun, I have been doing just fine with some flash stuff and the like. This sun here is a freaking nightmare no matter how you slice it. Also Robert don't go by the asphalt because it is all brown dust , we have not seen rain in months so everything is dusty, something I noticed too but just a nasty layer of dust so hard to go by.

Guy Mancuso

Yes Portrait neutral desaturates some, so does extra shadow. Which you can do in the shadow slider also

Dale Allyn

I need to confess, that being the moron that I am, I first processed it with the ICC Profile of P25+ Flash rather than "outdoor daylight". I did redo it before reading the posts of you others and find that it's still pretty close to the specs I mentioned above, though some tweaking from those helps a bit IMO. I just wanted to come clean on my miss-step on the profile setting.

Umm, Phase One, how about giving us a preference control to set the default ICC profile??!! Like in v3.7.8. I'm not real bright so I do that nearly every time I open the damn program.

robsteve

Subscriber
There is still the blues being a bit off. You may want to try it with a warming filter or a UV filter to see if it cuts some of the hot Arizona sun and blue skies.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Here is a slight revision -- we may may onto something. I used 5800 +1 for color (which is closer to the flash setting than outdoor), but dialed saturation down to -5. Looks pretty good overall to me now. But I agree, I think your sun has a higher than normal blue-yellow bright to shade differential -- why I think the lower saturation helped a little:

Guy Mancuso

Yes i might have to agree on the saturation just knocking it down a touch improves it. IT"S BRIGHT HERE. I need to move can't stand the heat anymore. 114 today . Eleven days straight over 110. No desire to go outside. NONE

Guy Mancuso

That one is better Robert ,I think it got a little too desaturated on the last ones . that film extra shadow one use with care. I like the shadow slider for the control which BTW i did have on all along just a touch