Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can MF take the heat

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Can MF take the heat

Okay this has two meanings and reality is this it was hotter than a baking oven last night 119 air temp and working on asphalt. This morning a pleasant 109 but the real heat is speed. Can the MF take hard fast paced work under a situation that is one of a emergency style. No time to stop , no time to reload and if it fails your history. Situation dirty bomb goes off emergency team to rescue than as you see some of the image here in real time . This is a mockup situation but when the whistle starts you gotta go and better hope everything can keep up. I am shooting a Old AFD Mamiya which is a piece of garbage but is a loaner until the new Mamiya/Phase One body comes hopefully soon. So this thing is slow. Now the P25 Plus is 1.5 second back, and it is truly hot as hell here . The back did become warm but not hot to the touch. Given the temp and as rapid fire as i could it did very well. As far as the camera there were a couple times i was ready and it was not. I don't expect this very often with jobs but if you have a serious need to shoot than maybe a faster back is better. Even the P30 plus at 1.25 seconds sounds not much faster but reality it is. Something to think about . I know the P21 is .8 seconds and some of the other backs are pretty quick also.

But the good news it never failed even one shot and this was a pressure cooker with hard light and blazing heat. I used a SB 800 and put the camera on TV mode. Set the shutter at 125 th and pretty much shot the flash on manual outside than flipped camera to manual inside and flash to A mode on flash. 2 seconds to switch things around and went very smooth.

i know someone will ask too much for a PR gig. BS i say i worked for this client for many years they make house size prints from my stuff. Tis is what led to MF. Besides the files will knock them out and at the end of the day you still need to impress your clients. Hopefully after 800 images it will have some that do. LOL

Here is just some random takes but under cooker pressure moments
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Can MF take the heat

Couple more of our bloody beat up models for the event . It looks pretty real
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Some real "pop" to some of these, Guy. And the "victims" look pretty happy for being all beat up.

I'm not sure that if I were covering such an episode that I'd reach for the MF gear over DSLR (for PJ type of coverage), but it's cool to see how you covered it. Also, it's good to know how the back handled the heat and rapid-fire usage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

wow, the make up jobs are darn good for a drill!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The blues are a bit over the top. Are you using the JH profiles to boost this? If you are, you may want to see if he can suggest a set of profiles for use with you back.

Robert

Post Thanks / Like

Neat stuff, Guy. I am with Dale in thinking that the MF would not have been my first choice to cover things PJ style, but as you mention, this is as much a commercial type shoot where the client may be getting lots of mileage from the images, so bigger is better, even if a bit harder to get.

Looks like it handled things for you. I was thinking the same thing that Robert mentioned about the blues, and was wondering if that was your C1 default still being on "flash"? I do not think it bad, but it does have a bit cooler tone to it. Hey, maybe that is what you needed to keep yourself from getting overdone in that frying pan, so ignore this as a critique ;-)

Glad to see you pressing this into this kind of use. This is more along the lines of what I have been thinking about myself, so it is good to see it working for you. Thanks for sharing.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I did not WB , did these very quick since i was exhausted from the heat. I have 800 images to process so was not into yet . Will start tomorrow

Post Thanks / Like

Guy,
    Not a problem. At least you have an idea what to think about for the fixes ;-)

I do not envy your task on this. Regardless of how streamlined one's workflow is, that is a bunch of images to sort through and process the keepers. I shot a couple of things entirely with my 1DsMkII and had to deal with about the same number of those files. The MF files are even bigger, so you are going to get your money's worth from your computer horsepower for sure.

Camp out in the A/C tomorrow and feel good about your work. I am sure you have a whole bunch of things that the client will love.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks LJ . Yea what i did was add today's to yesterday and normally my workflow I WB everything as I go than if I need to WB several more times I do that to all also. This keeps me moving fast. But i process as i go and the finals are correct. i try to avoid PS as much as i can. I might even have to desaturate some of these. This is most likely the worst it get's with this sun here, so the DR on MF is HUGE for me in these kinds situations. Another reason i went MF was the DR. The M8 at one time I had the 35 cron and it was also too much so I start buying a little lower contrast lenses to make up for this. With the MF i can really push things around a lot better. Yes this really is not a MF job per say and at times a D3 would have been better no question but I am trying to see how far i can go without relying on a DSLR. I honestly would rather not have one. So for me this was another good test of what these things can and cannot do . Nothing better than real work to show folks these kinds of decisions and the work you do sometimes. Gives everyone a better picture of what it will do for them or what it won't do.

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool. Very impressed with the realism of the exercise. Great job shooting in the thick of it as well.

Thanks for sharing!
    -Brad

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Brad. I did this one over and it looks just about perfect . Just knocked down the saturation a touch did the WB . One thing I noticed that is screwing me up . Is I have my blown highlights warning set at 250 and I keep trying to bring that down but it is 5 points off and i am not realizing it so i have been a little heavy with the highlight control , so i made the warning 255 that way i know exactly if I am blowing better in the highlights. I am simple over compensating and no need. I went with easy grey here also. Got to find your happy spot

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea looking much better now. BTW i pretty much shot this whole gig with the 35 and 55 mamiya's

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looking at these now they can't embarrass me anymore . These thing can be truck size. I dare them to go big now. LOL

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

God Love Ya Guy ... this is real world stuff where the rubber meets the road.

I shot a high end wedding yesterday, and on the way there it was a monsoon rainstorm where half the cars pulled off the road but we didn't have the luxury ... the shoot was in an old church with no air conditioning, with humidity so bad that the viewfinder fogged up just putting the camera to your eye. 8 exhausting hours of non-stop shooting with the H3D-II and Nikon D3. You're a wiped out noodle by day's end.

Pro work means you deliver ... literally ... come Hell (in your case), or High Water (in my case.)

Rapid shooting may be the domain of the DSLR, but as you say ... the repurposing of images these days can have a file used on the internet one day and as display prints the size of a barn-side the next ... with close viewing distances in some cases.

While I'm not about to abandon use of the D3, the H3D-II is proving that the over-all performance is getting closer ... the H3D-II/31 is a 1.2 sec capture ... and in the "caves" I shoot in the flash recycle is not much faster anyway.

Good job for your client Guy

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Marc and this is what I am finding out it can get it done maybe not as eloquent as using a DSLR but the gap is closing. Ultimately if you have to have that speed in shooting the DSLR still rules but even the P21 and several others that are .8 closes the gap even more. Fun times that is for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Yea looking much better now. BTW i pretty much shot this whole gig with the 35 and 55 mamiya's
    Photoshop>Levels>BlackSlider to 20 looks less overlit by SB800 (+1 or +2 stops over ambient?).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks fine to me , thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Looks fine to me , thanks
    Guy,
    Not wanting to butt into this, but I think Billy's suggestion is a good one. It does change the ambiance of the setting, taking away some of that overall brightness, but it also brings a deeper level of "richness" to the entire image. Yes, it is essentially compressing the DR a bit to enhance contrast, but it will take the dark blues to a deeper navy blue color, and take that baked black asphalt to a deeper black. Your images look great as is, with tons of detail.

I do not see anything bad with what you have, BTW, but I also see where Billy is coming from for a deeper look.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Playing around with them all now , made a slight adjustment in C1. See how it goes. Trying to find my happy spots in C1 . Interesting the blue shirts are of all different colors. Thanks guys help is always wanted to figure out a new software camera combo

Post Thanks / Like

Marc,
    I echo your comments about getting the work done. It ain't always pleasant or easy, but it really is great to get those shots. The repurposing looks to be a bigger trend than most of us want to think about. I just got another one of those "let's turn this into a billboard sized image" thought from a client. That is great that they love the imagery that much, but it is scary if you know the image may not hold up. Your comment about closer inspection on the larger prints is too real. Used to be that big prints did make folks stand back (at more appropriate viewing distances) to appreciate the entire scene. Now, the details actually wind up drawing them in closer to look at things.

Do not envy your last gig, but then down here in the swamp, that is closer to normal shooting, but all of the indoor stuff is heavily air conditioned. Worst thing is working inside like that and then running to the steps of the church outside for some shots.....fog city takes over on every piece of gear.

Well, I may get both of your extremes again today.....100 temps interrupted with a 2-3" downpour, but the shots are still expected. So when do you guys think some of this MF gear will start to get the same sort of weather sealing that pro DSLRs have today? This could be important for some of us...

LJ

Post Thanks / Like

Playing around with them all now , made a slight adjustment in C1. See how it goes. Trying to find my happy spots in C1 . Interesting the blue shirts are of all different colors. Thanks guys help is always wanted to figure out a new software camera combo
    Completely understand what you are saying. The wonder of the larger image with details in every crack and crevice just invite exploiting that at times. That usually means leaving those dark shadowy areas open, just because you now can without losing anything. However, you can still change the look and not lose those deeper details, which would start to block up in most DSLR frames.

This stuff is so cool.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Umbrella's . LOL

It is a great question.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LJL View Post
    Completely understand what you are saying. The wonder of the larger image with details in every crack and crevice just invite exploiting that at times. That usually means leaving those dark shadowy areas open, just because you now can without losing anything. However, you can still change the look and not lose those deeper details, which would start to block up in most DSLR frames.

This stuff is so cool.

LJ
    Opened the shadows a touch more , this is about as contrasty as it gets so it can look crunchy even with all the DR going on . Some of the flash stuff is inconsistent some hotter than others. But in these conditions hard to adjust when working fast, hail mary's come into play. LOL normally I would balance it better. My other issue is i simply don't trust this loaner body AT ALL. I know I will get better with the new body coming

Post Thanks / Like

Umbrella's . LOL

It is a great question.
    LOL. I still cannot see me walking around with one of those umbrella head things, regardless of how practical they might me. Maybe get one of those lovely models to hold a golf umbrella next to me would be a nice solution

LJ

Post Thanks / Like

Opened the shadows a touch more , this is about as contrasty as it gets so it can look crunchy even with all the DR going on . Some of the flash stuff is inconsistent some hotter than others. But in these conditions hard to adjust when working fast, hail mary's come into play. LOL normally I would balance it better. My other issue is i simply don't trust this loaner body AT ALL. I know I will get better with the new body coming
    Guy,
    Nobody tossing rocks at you here. I like what you are doing and understand the tough shooting conditions. I was just jumping ahead to the "finished" image thinking, and picturing them on a billboard

The flash thing does sound a bit harder to control at PJ pace. This is where the DSLRs have a bit of an edge, but I am sure you will have this dialed in perfectly once that new body arrives and you get comfortable with its improvements and capabilities.

Keep after it, and do not take any of my comments as criticisms, please.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks LJ I never take stuff like this as criticism and actually appreciate the help from you and Billy. Yes when the new body get's here I think I will get even more consistent results. I know and actually try to tell others the same 3 months is minimum to truly start nailing stuff down with a new system. So many variables and I have been away from C1 for awhile so getting back into the swing of it . I may even toss LR to be honest. The reds I get in LR are from every camera i own and system. Someone at Adobe likes RED

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re flash at PJ pace, the Mamiya AFD has TTL if you use a Metz with the appropriate foot -- I have one on a 54 MZ3 and it works very well, especially dialed down to around -1 for fill. The downside is recycle time, but that's the same problem with any small on-camera flash.
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes I am using the SB 800 Nikon and no TTl just A mode. I could put the flash at 100 and camera at ISO 200 which BTW i shot this whole thing at ISO 200. may have to get the Metz again. Keep buying crap back I had. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The detail is just scary

Post Thanks / Like

As a "Canon guy" who does not (yet) own an M8, the absence of an AA filter on the P25+ is a real treat for me. It's so nice to look at a RAW file and say "wow", instead of having to work through x number of steps to try to get the details to show through on one of my Canon files. And then the Canon file might tend to look a bit "bruised" by the time it gets anywhere close.

Love your enthusiasm with this stuff, Guy.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I am using the SB 800 Nikon and no TTl just A mode. I could put the flash at 100 and camera at ISO 200 which BTW i shot this whole thing at ISO 200. may have to get the Metz again. Keep buying crap back I had. LOL
    Might that be backwards? Should you not dial the flash into ISO 400, not 100, in order to get a -1EV for your camera ISO 200? Otherwise, you will be throwing even more light into the scene, having the flash "think" it is ISO 100 and therefore increasing the output by +1EV to the camera.

To Jack's point....this is where the aux batteries for some of these smaller on-camera flash units really help. I have a small one that takes 8xAA batteries for my Canon 580EX unit and it gets recycle time way, way down....to the point that I can shoot it as fill at 8 fps for some things. Amazing. Not that you are ever going to need that speed with MF, but the boost in recycle time for the small flash is incredible. Even if you "only" got a boost to 1 sec recycle, it would easily keep up with your fastest shooting. Not sure if Nkon has such a aux pack for their flash, but for the Canon, it was the best $130 spent for that need.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like

I believe Metz has such a battery pack as well. I think it's the P-40 or something similar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LJL View Post
    Might that be backwards? Should you not dial the flash into ISO 400, not 100, in order to get a -1EV for your camera ISO 200? Otherwise, you will be throwing even more light into the scene, having the flash "think" it is ISO 100 and therefore increasing the output by +1EV to the camera.

To Jack's point....this is where the aux batteries for some of these smaller on-camera flash units really help. I have a small one that takes 8xAA batteries for my Canon 580EX unit and it gets recycle time way, way down....to the point that I can shoot it as fill at 8 fps for some things. Amazing. Not that you are ever going to need that speed with MF, but the boost in recycle time for the small flash is incredible. Even if you "only" got a boost to 1 sec recycle, it would easily keep up with your fastest shooting. Not sure if Nkon has such a aux pack for their flash, but for the Canon, it was the best $130 spent for that need.

LJ
    Okay was up early. Took wife to airport at 6 am. Brain dead. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Okay was up early. Took wife to airport at 6 am. Brain dead. LOL
    hey, this is why I keep looking at your disaster shots.....trying to scout the gear in order to configure an I.V. system that I could attach to my espresso machine

LJ

Post Thanks / Like

I have a book coming out in the fall on breakdancers, Now most people would automatically reach for their (d)slr for that. I shot it all with Medium Format FILM! Yes, I had to reload the camera every twelve shots. So MF can be used for a lot of things - it's just a matter if you want to. Of course I wasn't working for a client, just myself. I would be scared of losing images because of the slower moving quality of the gear on a job like Guy's.

I used a Turbo Quantum flash mostly with the b ig diffusion dome head. Often on a bracket but also sometimes on cord off camera. I was shooting b&w. I had to do a lot of burning of blown areas - almost always the case with flash and much easier in b&w than color. That would be one critique of these pics is that the flash feels a bit heavy. More diffusion and getting it off camera would help. It also may mean more time spent in PS. Of course one could take it to the other extreme and make the flash use an obvious style point, such as Martin Parr (Magnum) does with his MF work.

I also prefer deeper blacks and saturated warmer colors, but Guy's clients might not. If these were headed for a gallery wall I would say that one would want to emphasize the surreal nature by trumping up the colors and contrast but that's not the end purpose.

Personally I love shooting MF but have really no interest in digital, esp as for what it costs I could shoot and scan 1000's of rolls of gorgeous full frame MF with the cameras I already have and love (Mamiya 6 and 7 rangefinders, Hass SWC and Rollei TLR). Doesn't hurt to own an Imacon as well. But I can see the temptation of digital for sure, just as I have with 35 (and only recently).

One of the issues I see with 35 digital is that as it gets sharper (such as my recent addition of Zeiss lenses to my D3) it becomes much less forgiving of focus and exposure errors. I would think this would be magnified in MF. Am I right in that? Something about a really high resolution pic that's slightly out of focus that is really wrong. Grainy (and dark) sets a mood that focus problems are okay and expected. Super hi-res sets up an expectation of needing to be crisp and clean. Film tends to mitigate, digital exaggerate. Just something to think about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BIg Trucks . Love these things. You think we have toys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I screwed up , freely admit I was having issues that I did not realize and was over compensating in C1 and found some answers and pass along that might help someone else. When I brought all these images in to C1 just seemed a lot looked like it was blowing the highlights so i over corrected them not realizing there was no need to do that. Couple things threw me off . One and I recommend everyone do this . The warning in C1 is default at 250 so if you are near 250 and you see the red warnings in area's you tend to bring them down with the highlight control than need to adjust the shadows and your really starting to work it more than you should and exactly what I was doing wrong. First change the setting in your preferences to 255 for the highlight warning. This immediately cuts down on all the blown red warning so all you really need is just a small tweak on the highlight control like just a couple points. I was going way overboard on this because i was trying to knock down below 250 which really just getting it below 255 is much easier and very little needs to be done after that. So first thing is lower that warning it really makes a world of difference. The other issue was i used easy grey and I was really better off using the outdoor profile instead it does actually bring down the highlights a touch and is actually better.

Now one thing I need to check again when you copy settings from one image and apply to others , make sure you check in the adjustments tab all the settings you want to copy and apply. I messed up here also. So right off the bat there where three things going against me that I did not realize. Also i had a fourth and that was I had Soft proofing on in PS to CMYK ,make sure that is off also. Now I have not used C1 in some time so getting back into it there are some adjustments you need to make and get used to the program again. Simply case of getting intimate with your software and system. So I learned a couple things from this and honestly you can't learn unless you try things out . So now correcting all these things from the start the files need very little adjustments at all maybe a touch highlight control in some images but not nearly the amount I was doing. Get a good WB on your shots and to me I like about 5400 -2 on the color for the outside light stuff looks very good . having correct WB is one thing but having what you like is better , I tend to go warmer but that is me. So for users of C1 just some idea's going forward

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy:

Can you repost the image in post 29, with the changes made in your processing?

Post Thanks / Like

You beat me to the request, Rob.....;-)

The big trucks look good, but something still seems a tad odd. I think Guy's explanations of all the little things that were set differently from more "normal" processing makes sense with some of the color issues we were seeing in the posts.

None of those changes will impact the detail and sharpness of the images, so nothing lost there, but the colors of some things may come more into line with what Guy may have wanted to start, as well as what most of the viewers would come to expect.

Thanks for the update, Guy. I was not "worried", but knew something looked a bit off.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Robert not going to change that blue. It is what it is a faded blue T shirt and the red face is exactly what it is. RED. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, I'm glad that you mentioned the default settings on clipping warnings to others. I caught this on my first use of C-1 and regret that I did not bring it up here. I'm new to C-1 so I assume that I am way behind everyone else on all of this stuff. The reason I caught it so early was that I watched the tutorial videos on the Phase One site (something that I rarely do with stuff) and noticed the narrator set his highlight clipping at something like 243, and his shadow clipping at 10 or so. I thought he was "nuts", so adjusted mine right away.

Thanks for the reminder on the info in the adjustments tab for copying to other images. I forgot about this and will keep it in mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now i can fine tune my back also with the color picker in 3.8.9 but I am going to wait for Doug to show me the correct way on that. C1 4.1 still needs a touch more work and just waiting on the new Pro version due out soon too. So wait till things settle a little and i get a better understanding of this box. Skin tones are really tough out here in our sun so rather judge that by studio stuff

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't upgraded 3.7.8 to 3.7.9 and so should do that I guess. I don't know what the differences are other than a couple of added cameras and such.

I don't like how v.4.1.1 doesn't allow color temp to be adjusted in 50 degree increments. I suppose it can be made up in tint with additional tweaking of saturation of tint in the WB tool, but it forces a change in workflow for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea i am kind of waiting for the Pro version to get me totally fined tuned and also the new Phase body. Right now I feel I have a little bit of a mis-match of gear with this loaner body.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

While we're on the subject, one of the other thing I don't like about 4.1.1 is the inability to lock in presets or move processing palettes around. Hopefully Pro will allow us to create custom defaults and custom palette combinations.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

What Jack said!

To be honest, I'm only using C-1 because it does a nice job on the files. The tool controls and other characteristics are very annoying to me. Part of this is most certainly due to the fact that I don't like change, and I'm used to other software.

If it was possible to get great file treatment with Phase files via a profiled solution with CS3/ACR I'd be all over that. Another member suggested that he got markedly better results after profiling, but I have not had time to delve into this approach.

I'm also finding 4.1.1 a bit buggy on my Mac (DP G5) so it doesn't give much confidence in my process. I have plenty to learn and I'm sure that will ease the process though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Robert not going to change that blue. It is what it is a faded blue T shirt and the red face is exactly what it is. RED. LOL
    I wasn't worrying about the skin tones. They all looked like they were getting fried.

There is still a color issue, and it may just be that you need to profile your back. I noticed when you posted the fire engine shots that the fire engine red was a bit off and so was the yellow truck. Some if it was you warmed the image a bit, but something is still not right.

Earlier you mentioned the embedded profile of the back. Is this maybe not being used in the workflow correctly?

Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Robert three questions

What monitor are you using and how old
    Is it calibrated with what tools
    what browser are you using

reason i ask is because they look as they did in real life. That is a yellow/green firetruck

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not sure I can do better than this and not sure many camera's can get the detail in the trucks like that with regards to DR. That is a lot of stops. This is ISO 200 also which from what I have seen so far no difference at 100

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Robert three questions

What monitor are you using and how old
    Is it calibrated with what tools
    what browser are you using

reason i ask is because they look as they did in real life. That is a yellow/green firetruck
    I am looking at them on my Macbook, which was calibrated with Xrite, but I should check it agian. To rule out the monitor, I had taken the photos into Photshop and used the color picker to sample a couple things that looked a bit too yellow like the pavement, it it showed a lot of yellow in the RGB numbers.

I am using Firfox 3 with the ICC enabled and checked it out to confirm. I also looked at them in Safari too.

Robert