The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Petzval on medium format (?)

S

Shelby Lewis

I seem to remember Jim Collum using an old brass LF lens (Petzval type?) a while back with both his scanning back and his digital back.

Anyone here rigging Petzval type lenses with your digital back? I have some portrait work this summer that might work well with that "look". Seems like you'd need a way to mount it and trigger it. IIRC, Jim used a copal shutter as a trigger... but I can't remember how it was mounted (duct tape?).

Does anyone have any specific suggestions for old LF lenses for use with MF Digital?

Thanks!

S

Shelby Lewis

Works perfect on my Mamiya RZ with converted 90mm ( original lenses removed).
Care to elaborate a bit? And I'd love to see some shots... the RZ is next on my list and if I can get an old lens to work well on it, then I'll be in "slow-mo" heaven for a project I have planned.

Cool!

ondebanks

I seem to remember Jim Collum using an old brass LF lens (Petzval type?) a while back with both his scanning back and his digital back.

Anyone here rigging Petzval type lenses with your digital back? I have some portrait work this summer that might work well with that "look". Seems like you'd need a way to mount it and trigger it. IIRC, Jim used a copal shutter as a trigger... but I can't remember how it was mounted (duct tape?).

Does anyone have any specific suggestions for old LF lenses for use with MF Digital?

Thanks!
You don't need to put the LF lens in shutter or trigger it, if you have a focal plane shutter camera for your digital back. I rigged an adapter for my Mamiya 645 AFD to my Toyo 45G, using only off-the-shelf components, for (literally) a few euro. Given a focal length longer than say 135mm, this will reach infinity focus with the sort of lens you are referring to.

Ray