The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One 6.1 w/ Color Edit Layer and Export Profile

ggriswold

Found this article on the Phase forum that may save some aggravation when using adjustment layer(s) in C1 6.X...

http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=10121

The gist of the discussion is (modified quotation from thread):
----------------------------
Export using camera profile goes away when you add a layer with color edits.
It's not a bug and it is because layers were introduced.
Color edits in the color editor physically alter the camera profile. So you have one camera profile on the background layer and another profile on the upper layer ... and there is no way to merge the two profiles into one.
If you want to use color edits on layers you have to set a different color profile as output recipe (ProPhotoRGB or whatever you prefer).
-----------------------------
Makes perfect sense when you think about it. I like to use ProPhoto anyways, but everyone is different.

thomas

yup, my post you've quoted.

I always embed the camera profile. But I don't feel limited by the issue quoted above - as the Color Editor allows very, very selective adjustments I simply don't feel the need for localized color adjustments. Maybe Color Balance and/or White Balance would be useful on layers, though ...

ggriswold

Small world Thomas. It just occurred to me that this was one of those things that might not occur to someone (myself included) and the post might save some poor soul trying to process a day's work.

The other little detail I noticed is after you create and adjust a layer there is a pull down bar above the viewer that selects "Layer x" or "background" if "layer x" is selected (not the background) lots of global adjustments will be grayed out. Not brain surgery, just a little detail.