The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Use of LCC Card

rga

Being new to PhaseOne and CaptureOne, I'm in need of some advice on how to use the LCC card.

There appears to be a shiny side and a dull side. Which side do you face out from the lens? My guess is the dull side.

Secondly, I notice in the manual the description shows a camera tilted upward to the light source (the sun I expect). Is this necessary or can I just take an LCC shot once the image if framed and ready to shoot?

Finally, I do like to stitch with my 4x5. The manual says to take an LCC shot before each image to be stitched. Have others done this and found it necessary? Since I tend to use 15 shots per image, this would be quite a challenge storage wise...

Thanks very much for any advice,
Bob

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I use the Capture Integration LCC card which appears to be the same on both sides.

I don't shoot into the light source - I just have the camera set up and then shoot the LCC in situ.

My workflow is:
Set exposure/aperture etc. Shoot a blank frame with my hand in front.

I'll typically shoot all of the frames with the desired aperture for my stitch shot, and then reshoot the same stitch shots with exposure +2 stops and the LCC card against the front of the lens.

As an alternative I may shoot one frame with offset, and then shoot the LCC +2 ev. However, this is error prone since you are opening up/closing down exposure and so it's easy to mess up your aperture settings etc when doing this.

It becomes an automatic process after a while. I typically don't do it for every stitch combo, just the first or last. You can economize on the number of shots but I find that having a repeatable routine helps even at the expense of more blank frames.

In Capture One I select the LCC's and name them appropriately based on the shoot and the offsets. Unless it's rise/fall, I tend to stick to standard stitch amounts like 10mm or 15mm with my outfit. For rise/fall where the offset may be custom I normally don't write down the amount but will shoot a dedicated LCC shot after each adjustment.

Not sure how others do it but this works for me.

rga

Thanks Graham. I like your idea of shooting the LLC frames after shooting the stitch frames to avoid messing up. Good idea.

I usually only do this with my 4x5, so I'm using rise and fall and shift. Three rows of 5 shots with the sensor in portrait orientation. So going back through and doing an LLC exposure after taking all the frames to be stitched seems like the workflow to use.

Thanks again,
Bob