The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PODAS Death Valley April 3-8th

lance_schad

Workshop Member
That's awesome Guy. I hope that you get a good turnout. I have heard great things about the PODAS events. Kevin Raber is pulling in some good talent for these workshops.
I hope that some forum members take advantage of it.

Lance

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
MEDIA ALERT

Phase One Launches 2011 Phase One Digital Artist Series Workshops

First Two Venues are Death Valley, and Southwestern Ireland

COPENHAGEN/NEW YORK, February 23, 2011 -- Phase One, the world’s leading pro photography equipment provider, has announced its first two Phase One Digital Artist Series (PODAS) workshops for 2011. These workshops are intensive learning experiences for photographers who want to experience the very best image quality possible. Workshops feature high quality, low student-to-instructor ratios, all-inclusive accommodations, and the personal use of a 60.5 megapixel P65+ medium format digital camera, plus access to a range of lenses, for the duration of the workshop. Participants will have the opportunity to test and sharpen their landscape shooting skills in some of the world's most beautiful natural locations. They will also expand their knowledge with the help of highly trained technical staff and world-renowned landscape photographers to aid and inspire them.

Designed for serious photographers who want an exciting and rewarding challenge, PODAS workshops are in a class by themselves.

The first PODAS workshop will be held April 3-8 in Death Valley. Instructors are Guy Mancuso, Tim Wolcott, and Jeff Schewe. Class is limited to 25 participants. Cost is USD 5,200.00.

The second PODAS workshop will be held in Southwestern Ireland May 16-21 Instructors include Peter Cox, Steve Gosling, and Mark Dubovoy. Class is limited to 25 participants. Cost is USD 5.500.00.

To read about the instructors, please see: http://podas.info/podas-instructors/

For all specifics/details about these two workshops, please see: http://www.phaseone.com/en/PODAS/Info/Workshops.aspx

You can follow PODAS on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/PODASworkshops
On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/PODAS...ist-Series-Photography-Workshops/326535937221
PODAS Blog: http://podas.info/

About Phase One
Phase One is the world’s leader in open-platform based medium format camera systems and solutions. Phase One medium format cameras, digital backs and lenses are designed to deliver superior quality image capture and investment value. Phase One’s Capture One software helps streamline capture and post-production processes. Phase One products are known for their quality, flexibility and speed enabling pro photographers shooting in a wide range of formats to achieve their creative visions without compromise. For more information, please visit Phase One at http://www.phaseone.com. Follow Phase One on Twitter athttp://www.twitter.com/PhaseOneWW

Phase One is an employee-owned company based in Copenhagen with offices in New York, London, Tokyo, Cologne, Shanghai and Hong Kong.

Phase One and Capture One are registered trademarks of Phase One A/S. All other brand or product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.

# # #

jlm

Workshop Member
I spent a week in death valley last early spring, had a great time. The Furnace Creek Inn is a very nice abode, has an outdoor pool with two giant fireplaces, etc. We went all over the place, driving and hiking 3-4 hrs every day. lots of desert wildflowers, etc

I strongly recommend the hike into zabriskie point from the valley side, looping to just under the Point and then back to the valley. amazing, but a bit of a grunt.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Funny enough I just got back from Death Valley on Tuesday this week. We actually had rain & snow at the weekend!! Great for most of the shooting but not enough to have much water at Badwater and unfortunately it did mean that Racetrack Playa was off limits which I understand is pretty rare. Probably not going to be an issue in April.

If you're looking for desert scenery and amazing spectrums of rock colours at twilight then this is the place to go. Also the Mesquite dunes backdropped by the nearby mountains/hills and great morning or evening side lighting is a treat too.

I stayed at Stovepipe Wells but Furnace Creek Inn & the Furnace Creek resort are both more centrally located for everything with the exception of the Mesquite Dunes or Racetrack Playa.

This was on Monday:

dick

The second PODAS workshop will be held in Southwestern Ireland May 16-21 Instructors include Peter Cox, Steve Gosling, and Mark Dubovoy. Class is limited to 25 participants. Cost is USD 5.500.00.
# # #
Hi, Guy...

I am tempted, but you will not be coming to the right side of the pond, and I would not want to pay for the use of a 60Mpx cameras as I already have one, and I would not want to go on a landscape photography workshop for non-technical cameras.

Are the lists filling up?

Do they know that the weather is not as reliable in Ireland as it is in California/Death Vally etc.?

Guy Mancuso

Technical cameras will be on hand or you can bring your own. 2 IQ 180 backs will be on hand also.

dchew

Well Guy,
Looks like I'm crashing your party. Talked to Kevin last night and signed up this morning. I bought an Alpa STC 3 weeks ago. Should be here any day, so yes, I'll be that annoying guy who shows up at a workshop clueless with a brand new camera. Looking forward to learning a boatload and figuring out which back to go with.

Dave

Guy Mancuso

I love folks showing up with new camera in hand , look forward to helping you work through it. We will have plenty of backs on hand to see what you like best and no worries I will help you get through it all and get great images to boot. Bring plenty of CF cards.

Vincent Goetz

Subscriber Member
I will be arriving on the 8th for five nights at the inn. An annual pilgrimage for me. I know a great place to shoot if you stay an extra day...

cng

Technical cameras will be on hand or you can bring your own. 2 IQ 180 backs will be on hand also.
It would be nice if after the workshop a few people posted some feedback on using an IQ180 with a technical camera. Especially with regard to useability, sensor cast (with or without movements) and lens selection.

I assume that Guy and Jack probably intend to do this, but I thought I'd still mention it.

P.S. And a tally of how many workshop attendees put in an order for an IQ back. :)

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

I will certainly be updating the forum on the IQ 180 with images and full report on it's progress. Jack is not attending this workshop, just myself on this one for PODAS.
I will also encourage the participants to post as well for sure. We will have 2 IQ 180 on hand from what I am told plus a whole battery of Phase lenses and tech cams.

cng

Jack is not attending this workshop, just myself on this one for PODAS.
Oops, of course I knew that. And my P.S. comment was only in jest.

Have fun everyone! I'm waiting for July's architecture PODAS myself (if I can find the time to fly up from the southern hemisphere).