The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rollei Lenses

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It's all good David. We both misunderstood and that got each other's hackles up a bit. I think possibly getting behind in reading current posts was involved too... At any rate Thierry and I are big boys so we can chalk it up to language differences and move forward. What's important is we have the same goals of providing accurate information to our friends and customers.

So back to the topic of the thread, how is the AF performing on your loaner body -- properly I assume?

Re: auto focus Hy6 and Sinar-M

I am using both systems and as I was told by Sinar people in Switzerland the Hy6 's AF is based on the proven solutions first introduced on the M-System. I find their behavior pretty similar in the interpretation of the contrast and brightness situations. The Hy6 and the Sinar-M AF has relative difficulty to auto-focus when the motif lacks contrast.

The Hy6 behaves the same in the low contrast situation than my Sinar-M. Sometime I have to put a bright yellow ruler on a painting I copy to let the AF sensor see the plane of the surface I am trying to focus on. It never happens in bright environment, only when I use polarizers on my lights and the lens. The red illumination light helps and definitely my Hy6 focuses better than the "M" when the light is bad. In my amateur experience the red light helps only on the distances between 2-5 meters, in close up and dim situations IMO one shall rely on the manual focus more, at the same time both systems perform auto-focusing very easily when the AF extension tubes are used and the motif fills the bigger part of the image.

As you all the pros on this forum know than NO current MF cameras utilize AF systems on par with a Canon/Nikon's and your expectations should be low. I cannot talk about new Hasselblads, but I have access to Mamiyas and Contaxes and a Rollei 6008 AF with different backs and tested auto focus with all of them. No one is perfect. And I need this AF thing because I have very bad case of astigmatism on both eyes.
I think than ether your expectations were a bit unrealistic or the camera was faulty. I live in the part of the world where the dealer support in very rudimentary, we cannot send the cameras for check ups every week and we all, who use the MFD, tend to get used to the camera first, spend several weeks with it to learn it, to know its limitations and only than jump to the conclusions.

I see a lot of excitement on this forum, people see the quality of the MFD and do not want to hear about limitations and quirks and accept them.

Kind regards
Yevgeny

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for this clarification Yevgeny! The low-light/low-contrast performance was certainly understandable, but the front-focusing in good light was not. So yes, I suspect that the camera I tested and David's -- or their lenses -- were faulty.

Moreover, I agree that NO AF system is perfect, just that some tend to work better than others in certain situations. And for sure, no MF camera yet matches Canon or Nikon AF abilities yet, and I'm sure we're a few generations away from that kind of performance.

Cheers,

David K

Workshop Member
At Jack's suggestion I just performed the same test with my loaner camera that gave me problems with my own. I was glad to find that this camera does not have the same front focusing issue that mine did. Here's the image of my test subject and the crop. Focus on the nose...these are unsharpened.

Stuart Richardson

A few places to check for used Rollei lenses in the US:
www.ctrades.com
www.camerawest.com
www.tamarkin.com
www.keh.com (of course)
www.fotocare.com (you will have to call them)
www.kurlandphoto.com
and www.adorama.com
Kurland photo generally has the most, but they are pretty expensive. Camera West used to have a lot with decent prices. KEH generally has the best prices, but not as much stuff as they used to. Fotocare had a decent number of them, but they don't list their stuff online. It is better checked out in person. Adorama occasionally has some 6000 series stuff...Ctrades specializes in grey market new Rollei stuff, but they have some used stuff as well.