Site Sponsors

Thread: Phocus 2.6

Post Thanks / Like

Phocus 2.6

The wait is over....

Phocus 2.6 Mac / WIN
    This is a significant update to Hasselblad’s image processing software.

Highlights
    •New Dust Removal Tool
    •Star Rating and Filtering
    •Support for Phocus Mobile *
    •Import/Export of Image Adjustments
    •Combined H and V lens tool
    •Extended Info in Compare Mode
    •Support for Tiff and Jpeg files (WIN)

* Phocus Mobile will be available for download via the Apple App. store by March 2011.

regards
    Michael

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Phocus 2.6

Wahoo!

Question is ... is the sync issue with the H4D/60 back on a tech camera resolved with this version of Phocus ... AND does it enable the double resolution LCD on the 60?

In other words ... is there a firmware update attached?

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Euh... no.

But you will freak out over the 100% view with Multishot. Awesome! Like better than it even used to be with Flexcolor. Really fast!

Post Thanks / Like

And you can map out dust spots on the sensor and auto apply the spot removal process! You can make multiple maps if you have different backs too. Good stuff.

Kind regards,
    Derek Jecxz
    http://www.jecxz.com
    http://www.facebook.com/derek.jecxz.photographer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

PHOCUS 2.6 requires the RADEON HD5770 GC or at least that card is recommended .
    I have the GEFORCE 8800GT installed on my MAC PRO3 and PHOCUS 2.5.5 runs fine except color correction runs a bit bumpy and slow .

Does anyone know a good list to campare the CG types .
    I will not install PHOCUS 2.6 as long as I am not sure that my card will work properly .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the official press release..

http://press.hasselblad.com/media/19..._family_en.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Wahoo!

Question is ... is the sync issue with the H4D/60 back on a tech camera resolved with this version of Phocus ... AND does it enable the double resolution LCD on the 60?

In other words ... is there a firmware update attached?

-Marc
    Hi Marc,

Flash sync is currently being tested at a few sites with encouraging results so far.

So we will release a new firmware shortly with flash sync support, some speed improvements and a few other things.

Then again, shortly after that will be some more firmware additions including the res increase.

All in the not too distant future.

David

Post Thanks / Like

Is should add that the release date for Phocus Mobile is probably likely to be before the posted date.

There is some additional Apple "wiggle room" for their approval process.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just got this e-mail from Hassy thought I would post it as well

Hasselblad Information
    Sales and Marketing

Phocus Family of Software Solutions
    Hasselblad is proud to introduce the Phocus Family of software products, offering tools matching the changing working conditions photographers face with each new assignment. With three different products, each catering to a different style of working, these new Phocus options easily overcome shifting workflow challenges by providing a high level of efficiency and flexibility of choice.

Phocus 2.6 – available for download now
    Phocus 2.6 is Hasselblad's powerful, easy-to-use imaging software. It offers improvements that expand both application's capabilities and workflow speed. Brand new cross-platform features such as the Dust Removal Tool, Star Rating and Filtering, a much faster multi-shot viewer and improved quality at lower resolution, plus Windows support for TIFF and JPEG files are now part of version 2.6.

For more information on Phocus 2.6 visit the Hasselblad website at:
    http://www.hasselbladusa.com/promotions/phocus.aspx

Phocus Quick – available for download now
    Phocus Quick offers a semi-automated solution to import and process your raw files using the core strengths of the full version of Phocus. The application imports your images applying basic image adjustments and saves both – a backup raw copy and a jpg of each image. Ready for printing or viewing, and ready for future more advanced imaging enhancements.

For more information on Phocus Quick visit the Hasselblad website at:
    http://www.hasselbladusa.com/promoti...cus-quick.aspx

Phocus Mobile – available for download in March 2011
    Phocus Mobile completes the Phocus Family with an imaging app for iPads and iPhones. The app connects wirelessly to a Mac running Phocus 2.6 and allows users to remotely browse, and rate images. With an H4D camera connected, you have full access to tethered shooting, including all the unique camera controls offered by the H4D.
    Phocus Mobile is available as a free download in March 2011 from the Apple App store.

To download Phocus 2.6 and Phocus Quick for free, simply register your email-address at:
    http://www.hasselbladusa.com/service...downloads.aspx

Best regards,

Hasselblad USA
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guy! Nice to know we are emailing you.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for posting this. I'll check it out.

Marc, don't tell me you're again considering the H4D-60!

(I finally received the 60 and it's great - just wish I could keep it and the S2)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    PHOCUS 2.6 requires the RADEON HD5770 GC or at least that card is recommended .
    On the Mac book pro I think the just say 512K... I have:

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    VRAM (Total): 512 MB
    Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x0647
    Revision ID: 0x00a1
    ROM Revision: 3436
    gMux Version: 1.7.10

Can this be improved or updated?

Post Thanks / Like

Great to have 2.6 at last - and it seems to be faster and sharper on my Mac Pro. David, any ideas as to when we can expect Phocus mobile to come out (assume it's still with Apple)?

Henry

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David Grover / Hasselblad View Post
    Hi Marc,

Flash sync is currently being tested at a few sites with encouraging results so far.

So we will release a new firmware shortly with flash sync support, some speed improvements and a few other things.

Then again, shortly after that will be some more firmware additions including the res increase.

All in the not too distant future.

David
    Thank you David. I was hoping for at least the sync capability because my dealer has arranged a session with the H4D/60 at my studio on march 8th, 9th, or 10th and I was hoping to hook it up to the Rollei Exact-II, as well as test it out for other applications.

Giddy-up!

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dustbak View Post
    Euh... no.

But you will freak out over the 100% view with Multishot. Awesome! Like better than it even used to be with Flexcolor. Really fast!

That is an UNDERSTATEMENT!

OMG! It now so fast that it seem measured in nanoseconds rather than seconds. Virtually instantaneous, and a really usable upgrade.

I just did some Multi-Shot work and I couldn't believe it. WaHooo!

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tbullock View Post
    Thanks everyone for posting this. I'll check it out.

Marc, don't tell me you're again considering the H4D-60!

(I finally received the 60 and it's great - just wish I could keep it and the S2)
    No decisions at all ... but I told my dealer I would NOT even consider buying a pig-in-a-poke, so he arranged a demo at my studio in a couple of weeks. I'll compare it to my H2F/CF39 Multi-Shot for product work ... I already know the H4D/60 is better for single shot commercial applications and for shooting people, so it just needs to come close or equal the MS unit in studio.

It's just money ... money sitting in accounts earning less than the sinking value of the dollar ... how's that for warming up the purchase justification should I like the 60?

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Re the new Cloning Tool: I've been looking forward to this addition to Phocus for working on my 3F files. Unfortunately the sliders adjusting the size of the tool are grey'd out on my laptop and the cloning tool left unadjusted just makes a mess of things. My video card is the 9600 GT. Is this the culprit? Do I now have to purchase a new laptop with a faster video card to be able to take advantage of Phocus 2.6?

Thanks for any insight into how I might resolve this.
    Lawrence

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by apocolibri View Post
    Do I now have to purchase a new laptop with a faster video card to be able to take advantage of Phocus 2.6?
    Lawrence

You will be doing yourself a real favor getting a really fast laptop for 2.6. If I am not mistaken the MBP with the 9600 is already a 4 years old model or is it by any chance a 256MB model?

Lucky for you Apple has just released its new MBP's. Quad-Core machines!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by apocolibri View Post
    Re the new Cloning Tool: I've been looking forward to this addition to Phocus for working on my 3F files. Unfortunately the sliders adjusting the size of the tool are grey'd out on my laptop and the cloning tool left unadjusted just makes a mess of things. My video card is the 9600 GT. Is this the culprit? Do I now have to purchase a new laptop with a faster video card to be able to take advantage of Phocus 2.6?

Thanks for any insight into how I might resolve this.
    Lawrence
    You have to click on the dust spot before you can adjust radius and amount. Did you take that step?

As Dustbak says, the 9600 is quite an old card and not performing very well for intensive video applications. The new MBP's have far superior graphics capabilities.

David

Post Thanks / Like

You have to click on the dust spot before you can adjust radius and amount. Did you take that step?

As Dustbak says, the 9600 is quite an old card and not performing very well for intensive video applications. The new MBP's have far superior graphics capabilities.

David
    David...

I bought my Mac Book Pro from Rapid Group, a Hasselblad approve dealer, thinking they should know what they were doing, and they supplied a 9600 graphics card.

They also lied to me about the lack of live view on the H3D2-50, so I have not used them again, and would not recommend them.

Dick Roadnight

Post Thanks / Like

Dick,

At the time that was the best graphics card available. So you cannot blame Rapid for that.

Also since speaking with Lawrence we have come to the conclusion that it is not an issue with the graphics card but the correct use of the tool.

Rapid are a very professional company and I don't think we can blame the then lack of live view on the H3D50 (which is of course now supported). I would say the blame rests more on our shoulders.

David

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dick View Post
    On the Mac book pro I think the just say 512K... I have:

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    VRAM (Total): 512 MB
    Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x0647
    Revision ID: 0x00a1
    ROM Revision: 3436
    gMux Version: 1.7.10

Can this be improved or updated?
    Dick,

At the time that was the best graphics card available.

Also since speaking with Lawrence we have come to the conclusion that it is not an issue with the graphics card but the correct use of the tool.

David
    Thanks, David.

Phocus 2.6 is slow on my Mac book Pro, with 4 cores, 8 GB ram, 9600... especially displaying thumbnails...

Would an SSD or better card make a significant difference?

Post Thanks / Like

David
    Running 2.6 on three good machines (all i7 W7/64, two workstations, one laptop). On one of the workstations Phocus is extremely slow. When I say slow, I mean 30 seconds between selecting a thumbnail and having it display, another 30 seconds to click on a checkbox and have it recognized. This lasts for ten minutes or so and then seems to clear up.

I was hoping that 2.6 would solve this but no. HUSA have tried but have no clue.

What I am suggesting is that power may not be a critical factor if Phocus is running at really abnormal speeds. In fact, my slow workstation is the newest and most powerful of the lot, 24GB RAM, latest/greatest processor, etc. I suppose the answer would be to start swapping components in from the other workstation to see if the problem goes away. Unfortunately, that machine is liquid cooled so swapping is nontrivial. Aaargh. MFD software is such a trial.

tetsrfun

"What I am suggesting is that power may not be a critical factor if Phocus is running at really abnormal speeds. "
    In my experience, the GC is the major factor in "speed" of Phocus. I am running an "old" 1.1 Mac Pro and when Phocus was first available, the software was unusable due to slow speed. A GC replacement made a huge difference. Recently upgraded the GC again with an ATI HD 5770. Again improved performance.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

yes, if it is abnormally slow chances are that there is something else at play. Especially with Windows the amount of different configuration possibilities is staggering. It is always possible certain combinations deliver problems.

So the machine that has your fastest specifications need its 'morning cappuccino' first before it decides to get to work?!? Problems like these seem to be the hardest to solve, what in heavens' name causes a piece of software to be slow as a 'running turd' for 10 minutes and than behave as normal?..

I know these kind of things happen, I had them happen to me more than once and strangely often I never found the culprit but the issue suddenly disappeared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cunim View Post
    In fact, my slow workstation is the newest and most powerful of the lot, 24GB RAM, latest/greatest processor, etc. I suppose the answer would be to start swapping components in from the other workstation to see if the problem goes away. Unfortunately, that machine is liquid cooled so swapping is nontrivial. Aaargh. MFD software is such a trial.
    You may have a 5400 RPM hard drive or a 7200 RPM with low cache. That should be easy to check without taking everything apart - just a helpful thought. Good luck.

Kind regards,
    Derek Jecxz

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Must be directly related to file size, I am using Phocus 2.6 with the CFV 16 and have no issues on my machines.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

The warnings that Hasselblad has stated is more to protect themselves from the slings and arrows of users with older platforms complaining of speed issues. I really can't blame them at all in putting this warning in their opening screen. I applaud them for an ongoing effort to improve their software and providing it free to users.

Al
    Al Tanabe my website https://www.altanabe.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tetsrfun View Post
    "What I am suggesting is that power may not be a critical factor if Phocus is running at really abnormal speeds. "
    In my experience, the GC is the major factor in "speed" of Phocus. I am running an "old" 1.1 Mac Pro and when Phocus was first available, the software was unusable due to slow speed. A GC replacement made a huge difference. Recently upgraded the GC again with an ATI HD 5770. Again improved performance.

Steve
    Did the same thing ... the GC was petering out and wouldn't even fire up both of my 30" monitors anymore. Installed a 5770, and it's rocket sled fast again

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

... This lasts for ten minutes or so and then seems to clear up. ...
    Maybe something about the virus scan? If you open Phocus I gues it will touch all the RAW files or at least some cached information which in the end is also nothing else than files (XML or something).

If there is a setting like 'scan on demand' each file will be scanned first. Depending on the scan software this might be limited to a single core etc.

Second thing that comes to my ming is the display driver. I really do hate this ATI Catalyst thing that gets updated every month without some update function within the tool. You alwas have to download the software on your own etc.

Regards

Marcus

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Dustbak;293254]
    So the machine that has your fastest specifications need its 'morning cappuccino' first before it decides to get to work?!? Problems like these seem to be the hardest to solve, what in heavens' name causes a piece of software to be slow as a 'running turd' for 10 minutes and than behave as normal?..

Dustbak, the best repair suggestion I have had in a long time. I will simply pour a cup of coffee into the silly thing and no more worries.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I am sure I could get this under control if I tried. It will get back to speed if I wait a while, or I can solve the problem if I do some work. Wait vs work. That ten minute malfunction is just short enough to be fiendish. I sit there like a lobotomized lab rat until it runs again.

Actually, Derek may be close because it varies from disk to disk. Not cache, probably, but I believe it may have something to do with my network. The slow workstation is the local server and there are shares in place that may be misbehaving. Phocus has issues with directory control, at least on the PC.

Never mind my little problems. I just mention them because Phocus is Phragile and it can pay to check your software environment before throwing money at new hardware.

To be fair to Hasselblad, fragility is typical of MF software. I had a really interesting time getting C1 to run, for example. I am also well known for breaking every piece of code that I touch.

Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, Derek may be close because it varies from disk to disk. Not cache, probably, but I believe it may have something to do with my network. The slow workstation is the local server and there are shares in place that may be misbehaving. Phocus has issues with directory control, at least on the PC.
    Memory management can be a misnomer in the sense that sometimes RAM gets cached to disk (on the OS level - even if you have 24GB), and if the drive is slow, the operations will be slow. I suggest a 10,000 RPM drive over an SSD at this point, my testing to date leaves me trusting the former more than the latter. On one machine I’m using 15,000 RPM SCSI drives, but 10,000 RPM is just fine. I hope you find the issue. Be well.

Kind regards,
    Derek Jecxz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jecxz View Post
    Memory management can be a misnomer in the sense that sometimes RAM gets cached to disk (on the OS level - even if you have 24GB), and if the drive is slow, the operations will be slow. I suggest a 10,000 RPM drive over an SSD at this point, my testing to date leaves me trusting the former more than the latter. On one machine I’m using 15,000 RPM SCSI drives, but 10,000 RPM is just fine. I hope you find the issue. Be well.

Kind regards,
    Derek Jecxz
    I will defnitely try that Derek. Thanks for the suggestion.

Peter

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

need some help...

just got my PC working tethered, H39 back, Phocus 2.6, first time for the pc, but 2.6 is hincky.

thumbnails show up, from tethered shooting, but the viewer is a blank white screen. i can get grid lines to show, and the viewer screen will adjust aspect ration to suit a previously cropped image, but no image appears!

same behavior looking at previously tweaked files (jpg and tif)

sony Ultrlalite, win 7, 1 gig ram, 1.3ghz intel, intel gma 950 video adapter (built-in) 256M video ram, using powered firewire hub, powers back just fine (is mounted on cambo, not H body)

system works with my macbook pro.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    need some help...

sony Ultrlalite, win 7, 1 gig ram, 1.3ghz intel, intel gma 950 video adapter (built-in) 256M video ram, using powered firewire hub, powers back just fine (is mounted on cambo, not H body)

system works with my macbook pro.
    jlm, I think its your graphics card. I had this problem before I switched to the Dell XPS 16 running Win7.

Phocus 2.6 for me is faster, and much more stable. And also connection to the H3D when shooting tethered is also more stable.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

damn, my ultralite is so cute, weighs only 2 lbs, carbon fiber chassis
    really wanted this baby for some studio tethering

Post Thanks / Like

Hi P. Chong,

are you satisfied with your XPS 16 using Phocus?

I'm considering to buy the new XPS 17.
    What do you think?

Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

hi Michael, yes, I am reasonably happy with the XPS16. if you have specific questions, please ask.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

does the xps provide power to the back via it's firewire port?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

hi jlm..no. The firewire is 4-wire firewire400.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

which means tethered shooting via an AC powered Firewire hub, which means plugged into the wall.

Post Thanks / Like

HI all

to all the PC users out there

i found the earlier Phocus versions a bit flakey with the wirewire teather

but the new version 2.6 with the latest firmware for the digital back (h4d 31) and its all good

i haven't had any problems since installing.... according to the info from Hasselblad the new dig back firmware has improved the teathering firewire stuff.... and i for one have found this to be the case.

andrew