Site Sponsors

Thread: Alpa MAX camera with Phase wake up - recommendation

Post Thanks / Like

Alpa MAX camera with Phase wake up - recommendation

I wondered what people recommend to use as a reliable and user friendly wake up cable system for the Phase P25+ back?

I'm familiar with Paul from Optech posting so you can say "method 2".
    http://www.optechsdigital.com/Wake_Up_Systems.html

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Alpa MAX camera with Phase wake up - recommendation

In addition to what is listed on the Optechs page, Alpa has just released a new wake up solution which only requires a single push of the release. Info here:
    http://www.alpa.ch/en/products/lense...c-release.html

I use Method 4, Alpa Hand Grip for Phase backs, with an SWA (not a MAX).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use Method 2, which works fine on a tripod (I use a TC). Handheld it's too awkward with long cables, but since you're using a Max it probably does not matter to you. I wish there was a really short PhaseOne cable, made specifically for the Alpa.

Cheers, -Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There is also a wake-up and long exposure box available from The Kapture Group. This allows you to actually trick the back into thinking the shutter is still open, and allows you to do things like multi-strobe pops and such. I have quite a few architectural photographers that use this device. This is definitely not a hand held solution.
    Here is a picture of it:

http://www.kapturegroup.com/phase/phase.html#multi

Lance
    LANCE SCHAD - Digital Transitions - Phase One,Mamiya | Leaf,Arca-Swiss,Cambo, Profoto
    direct/cell:610-496-5586 office:877-367-8537x224
    http://www.digitaltransitions.com email:[email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kapture Group One-Shot cable. I use one of the ALPA wake-up cable holders to hold the end of the cable release, and the one-shot box sits on the opposite side of the lens. Its not attached to the camera other than by its cables, but it is fine anyway.

You could even use it hand held.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Somehow one solution was left off Paul's helpful page!

Our cable still works as a wake up, and thus requires two shots, but it is much easier to perform the wake up shot compared to the Phase One wake up cable (and it is shorter).

Steve Hendrix
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: • Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar • Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: • Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar • Authorized Reseller

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    Kapture Group One-Shot cable. I use one of the ALPA wake-up cable holders to hold the end of the cable release, and the one-shot box sits on the opposite side of the lens. Its not attached to the camera other than by its cables, but it is fine anyway.

You could even use it hand held.
    I've used to use the Kapture Group cable before also with the Max & P40+. You need to be careful when pressing the cable release to ensure that both the shutter and wake up indication occur via a smooth release action. If you don't then it is possible to wake the back but not release the shutter which then will cause an error if you recock the shutter and use the cable release again (back complains about multiple triggers if I remember correctly). You learn how to do it properly but mistakes still happen occasionally in my experience.

For P40+/65+ shooters: Since I shoot with the P40+, I don't use any of the special trigger cables any more but simply use the single sync cable & zero latency mode now. I find this much easier and reliable to use and haven't had any heat soak issues with this mode yet.

Post Thanks / Like

My dealer told me that a wake-up cable is not necessary anymore for a P40+ as it can be let awake all the time.
    I asked for drawbacks like battery life or noise in the sensor but he replied that as for today he received no complaints.
    I don't buy that completely.
    Anyone already tested to shoot p40+/p65+ without wake-up cable ?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by anGy View Post
    My dealer told me that a wake-up cable is not necessary anymore for a P40+ as it can be let awake all the time.
    I asked for drawbacks like battery life or noise in the sensor but he replied that as for today he received no complaints.
    Early firmware had heat/noise issues when using the 40+/65+ without wake-up cable.

Newer firmware (latest is 5.1.2) actually will turn the back off if it gets too hot.

For extended shooting in warm weather (or in the sun) I would recommend against it. For shorter stints 10-15 minutes at a time, or in colder weather, especially if you're at low ISO then I doubt you'll see any real-world difference.

Basically the sensor is always on when using it in "zero latency" (the mode that doesnt require wakeup) so if you use it for 30 minutes in the hot sun (e.g. a desert landscape shoot) you're asking for trouble.

The back is an excellent heat-sink so turning it off for even half a minute will do a lot to dissipate excessive heat on the sensor (the chassis will still be hot - that's the point of a heat sink). So even turning it off between locations (e.g. while moving your tripod) would do a lot.

Battery life will be much worse in zero latency - no getting around that one. If that's the way you go you'll want to buy an extra battery or two (or three) from your dealer.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
    Phase One Partner of the Year
    Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
    Newsletter | RSS Feed
    Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anGy View Post
    I am an architectural photographer and routinely use my P65+ in zero-latency mode on my Alpa STC.
    There are several issues you need to be aware of.
    Firstly, battery life is very substantially reduced. I carry up to 5 batteries with me but not everyone can afford the cost in both coin and weight of doing this.
    On the upside, the back does boot very fast, so I usually only turn the back on when shooting, shutting it down between setups. With the IQ backs, bootup is instant, so this method is even easier to practice.
    When shooting at sub-one-second exposures, the back has to be very warm to the touch before you notice any increase in noise. At longer exposures, the noise factor becomes apparent pretty quickly if you are starting your shot string with the back already warm. This becomes an issue more in summer, when high ambient temps mean the back cannot shed heat as quickly. When I was shooting in sub-zero temps in the Swiss Alps, I was shooting 2 min+ exposures without any heat or noise buildup.
    Long story short, if you can be disciplined about shutting the back down, is is feasible to function without the wakeup cable, using zero-latency mode. If I think heat or battery life is going to be an issue (such as on multi-day hikes), then I use the wakeup cable.
    I have investigated the Kapture Group solution and the older Alpa wakeup solution but didn't think the performance warranted the cost.
    However, the new wakeup solution from Alpa is an absolute winner. It is a small, elegant looking device that screws into the cable release socket on the lens. It can be activated by either a conventional cable release or by hand. It offers the added advantage of being an ultra-soft-touch, and therefore low-vibration (read: less camera shake) shutter release button. I think this is a winner and I will be adding one to my kit as soon as I can.

http://www.alpa.ch/en/products/lense...c-release.html

So, in short, it is entirely possible to bet by without the wakeup cable with the P40+ and P65+. However, it is a whole lot more convenient to have one and the best I have seen yet is the new Alpa Sync Release, link above.

Cheers,
    Siebel
    "In the end, it's all about the pictures"
    www.bryansiebel.com

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks for those pro and experienced comments.
    (Hope this will also help Aviv1887)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by siebel;292893
    I have investigated the Kapture Group solution and the older Alpa wakeup solution but didn't think the performance warranted the cost.
    However, the new wakeup solution from Alpa is an absolute winner. It is a small, elegant looking device that screws into the cable release socket on the lens. It can be activated by either a conventional cable release or by hand. It offers the added advantage of being an ultra-soft-touch, and therefore low-vibration (read: less camera shake) shutter release button. I think this is a winner and I will be adding one to my kit as soon as I can.

[URL
    http://www.alpa.ch/en/products/lenses/alpa-sync-solutions/alpa-sync-release.html[/URL]

So, in short, it is entirely possible to bet by without the wakeup cable with the P40+ and P65+. However, it is a whole lot more convenient to have one and the best I have seen yet is the new Alpa Sync Release, link above.

Cheers,
    Some people seem to like the new ALPA wakeup solution some others don't
    That is life .
    There will still be some delay in delivery due to delivery problems for the sync cables . Patience is a virtue which I sometimes have , sometimes not .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for the great input, very helpful. So for the new Alpa cable release you will still need a cable from the release to the back right - to sync and wake up the back?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So for the new Alpa cable release you will still need a cable from the release to the back right - to sync and wake up the back?

Yes; an expensive cable.