The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

thunderbolt.

BJNY

By chance, would Thunderbolt be available with Expresscard 34 adapter, even if not at full speed???
Not 100% sure, but unlikely as Thunderbolt can not be added to existing Mac Pro towers....I'm reading new motherboard is necessary.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Not 100% sure, but unlikely as Thunderbolt can not be added to existing Mac Pro towers....I'm reading new motherboard is necessary.
Correct. Intel has stated it requires a new motherboard which in practice means a new computer.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

R

Ronan

Nope.

10 Gb/s = 10,000 Mb/s

100 Gb/s = 100,000 Mb/s

- Leigh
Absolutely correct...

I can't believe i got that wrong, and i completely blame the lack of sleep and the couple beers iv had!

Maybe now people see how fast it is... and id like to see a screenshot of something that writes that fast :p

BJNY

10 Gb/s = 10,000 Mb/s

100 Gb/s = 100,000 Mb/s
Nicely explained by Joe. R at nikonrumors thread :

It’s worth noting that 10 Gb/second is 1280 MB/second. The lower-case b in Gb is bits (used for speed measurement) while the capital B in MB is bytes (used for storage capacity).

yaya

Would be awesome to be able to download an 8GB CF card in under 8 seconds....when there are cards+readers that can support that kind of speed

mvirtue

Correct. Intel has stated it requires a new motherboard which in practice means a new computer.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off
Hmm, my 1st gen MacPro still chugs but...

Time to start saving up. Let's see I gave up lattes to pay for the Aptus, so what's left :)

Christopher

That is just stupid and i really don't get it. If One really want to get a new thing out there it certainly does not help if only a few single apple products can use it for a long tome. Certainly no reason to get a Mac just for light peak.

I like the whole idea, but I have my doubt about then whole approach. In the end I wouldn't be surprised of it had a bad fate and never got close to USB3.

Jay Emm

Re-tethered I thought part of the speed issue was getting the data off the camera electronics, less so the FW as bottleneck? Not to say Thunderbolt would not help of course, it sounds impressive.

I know some here have a more pessimistic view, but I think thunderbolt will be huge. LaCie already abounding SSD drives for it, the video guys in particular are going to go nuts for this