The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax 645D, Mamiya DM22 / DM28

D&A

Hi Sergio,

Thanks ever so much for posting these images. At this very moment I'm on my way to a shoot, but will look forward to downloading the full rez files later and have a closer look. Except for shot #3, none of the others were taken at very long distances, which would constitute "infinity" and be able to show the "field curvature" focusing phenominon I refered to in my postings above. With shot #3, I'm not sure how far that treeline in distance is from the camea and there isn't too much detailed forground (and whats there is in deep shadow with little detail) to illustrate the point. A perfect illustration is one of the images another forum member took of a landscape at great distance whereby center at infinity was sharp, corners/sides less so yet, along the edges/corners in the extreme forground had items that were extreme sharp. I've seen and tested for this phenominon many times and its pretty consistant. It not only depends on how the lens is set up (AF fine tune wise) with a given 645D (whether to slightly backfocus in the center or not) but how perpendicular the subject is to the camera and how great a distance it is away from the camera. The other contributing factor is where in the frame the camera is focused on...such as the front of say a treeline or the furthest tree. In theory they are all at infinity with a wide angle lens, but often just a slight difference in the lens settling on focus point, seems to have a significant and profound effect on this side/edge sharpness.

Your second and forth images most certainly illustrate what a great lens optically the FA 35mm f3.5 is, under most shooting circumstances...and what I described about certain types of very long distance landscape shots (and how critical it is to set up this lens properly for other distances) is only because it has come back to bite a few who have tried it and were surprised at their findings. Thanks again!

Dave (D&A)

H

Hikari

Why would you want to set your lens to infinity for a landscape? The furthest anything could be away is about 20 miles or so, not that it is really important as the atmosphere is going to prevent a sharp image anyhow. And you are going to have foreground as well, so you would want to optimize the focus for that. Infinity marks/stop tend not to be accurate for a couple of reasons, one being the expansion and contraction on the lens barrel itself in different temperatures.

D&A

Why would you want to set your lens to infinity for a landscape? The furthest anything could be away is about 20 miles or so, not that it is really important as the atmosphere is going to prevent a sharp image anyhow. And you are going to have foreground as well, so you would want to optimize the focus for that. Infinity marks/stop tend not to be accurate for a couple of reasons, one being the expansion and contraction on the lens barrel itself in different temperatures.
Hi,

While I have a second here....the true infinity focus of the lens is first checked and determined prior to taking a shot and takes into account the example you sighted. That's not what at play here with the superb but unusual optics of this lens. in fact Leicas 35mm lux asph often shows a similar outer zone file of curvature where the edges sides come into focus in a different plane than the center of the frame, when shot both wide open a and at moderately close distances. it's been well described too.

Dave (D&A)