Site Sponsors

Thread: Using a Digital Back on Manual Body

Gardenerbob

Thumbs down Using a Digital Back on Manual Body

Since my last post, I have been exploring the Leaf Aptus Digital back for my 500cm, Mamiya RB67 and Ebony RW45.
    I read through the manuals but am at a loss when it comes to focus and shutter settings.

Does the Digital Back offer exposure settings? or do you need a light meter?

Do you focus through the Digital Back or through the viewfinder/groundglass?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Using a Digital Back on Manual Body

Bob,

You did use your 500CM before? With film? With a digital back it is not much different you attach the back where normally the film back would go. You hook up a sync cable from your lenses to the sync-in of the back. Turn on the back and use the setup like before with film.

The only exposure options you have on the back are ISO (like using a different film).
    Shutter speed and aperture are like before on the lens.
    You use the ground glass to focus (better practice really well).

Really, there is not much different besides having a very expensive somewhat smarter 'filmback' (that is so dumb it needs a cable from the lens to know whether a frame needs to be captured).

tetsrfun

"(that is so dumb it needs a cable from the lens to know whether a frame needs to be captured)."
    Unless it's a CFV back, then no cable with the 500 C/M.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

That is right. However not so with the Aptus and the 500 series (or any other back) which is the back mentioned. With the exception of the CFV and the CF series on the ELD all other backs do need a sync cable.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenerbob View Post
    Since my last post, I have been exploring the Leaf Aptus Digital back for my 500cm, Mamiya RB67 and Ebony RW45.
    I read through the manuals but am at a loss when it comes to focus and shutter settings.

Does the Digital Back offer exposure settings? or do you need a light meter?
    You can use a meter but if you can also just pre-shoot using your best exposure guess and then use the histogram display on the Aptus. You can then easily adjust your settings for accurate exposure. I personally like having the custom function button on the side set up to display the histogram display when you press it.

Do you focus through the Digital Back or through the viewfinder/groundglass?
    VF/ground glass would be the most efficient unless you go down the route of zone/hyper-focal focusing. One nice thing about the Aptus is that you can zoom 100% on a reasonable display to check focus after the shot against the raw file but it is dependent upon ambient light level - if it's too bright then it's hard to see. I know that if I were using my Aptus as anything other than a backup now then I'd consider getting one of the LEE clip on shade assemblies for field use.

Sorry if this is a dumb question.
    Bob
    I was taught a long time ago that there's no such thing as a dumb question!!
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Gardenerbob

Thanks all.
    Just needed to know just how much the back can do.
    I'm glad I still have my old Luna Pro Lightmeter.(Still has a mercury battery)
    Thanks Graham, for the kind words. Nice to know this is a friendly forum.
    Bob