The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad files and PhotoMechanic

harmsr

Workshop Member
Good news for those of you who want to use PhotoMechanic.

www.camerabits.com

-------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 09:48:15 -0700
To: Ray Harms
Subject: Re: Support for Hasselblad H3DII39 files

Hi Ray,

Thank you for the files. I will update the developers that ImageIO in Leopard is able to render these files and try to get this implemented into Photo Mechanic version 4.5.3.2. If it does not make it into Photo Mechanic version 4.5.3.2, then it will be in version 4.6.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind regards,
Jerry

>Hello,
>
>I had contacted you previously about the support on these files and received
>back a response that yes it should be easy to do, as the Mac OS X natively
>supports them. I also uploaded two files to your FTP site so that you had
>files to work with, as per the request of one of your support people.
>
>Would you mind letting me know, when a version would be available to support
>these files.
>
>I liked PhotoMechanic, but have been waiting to purchase until it supports
>my primary camera which is the Hasselblad.
>
>Thank you,
>

David K

Workshop Member
Good idea to get in touch with them Ray, it's a great program for what it does. I use it a lot. My biggest gripe with Photo Mechanic was that it would enlarge some RAW files but not others, e.g. Nikon, Leica and Canon, yes... Sinar and Leaf, no.

harmsr

Workshop Member
David,

The issue is that Mac OS X does not natively support those files. If you can decode a RAW file in Aperture or see a large preview with "Preview", then the OS supports the file. PhotoMechanic uses Apples image core for the decoding and large preview generation.

The Phase back is also unsupported, and only shows the small embedded jpeg.

To the best of my knowledge, only the Hasselblad files (among the MFDBs) are currently supported by Apple.

Also to the best of my knowledge, that is the choice of the back makers and not Apple. For example I have talked with Lance about my Phase back and possible future support within the Apple OS X, but it appears Phase One really wants to get Capture One Pro out there first. A big part of Phase One business is also software, so why give their file decoding to a competitor in Apple (Aperture).

Ray