The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa new Wake Up device arrived today

narikin

Got my Alpa Wake Up mechanism - the new type- today. It's an unattractive piece of kit that looks home made, especially the cable, and is insanely expensive (over $1000 complete cable+release in USA) BUT... it seems to work, and means I can use the back on normal latency, so we are a step closer to a walk-around Alpa camera with Phase backs, without carrying 6 batteries.

The button seems very long throw (press?), and you mustn't hesitate halfway through, or it gives some double-exposure error, but, other than that it works fine.

Terry

What back are you using? I bought a used TC that had the phase wake up grip and find it very easy to use.

stephengilbert

I use the Kapture Group one-shot cable, and it requires a long throw cable. Some shutter cables (including ALPA's) don't have a long enough motion to work it. Using the cable release that KG supplies works great, though.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I also use the Kapture Group cable but most often the zero latency/std release option with my P40+. I certainly can relate to the need for a bag full of batteries using it in this mode though.

With the KG cable release you also have to be careful not to hesitate mid-release otherwise I get the same double-exposure error with the back as narikin. Also the KG adapter isn't conducive to shooting handheld which obviously the new Alpa set up does allow you to do.

The difference between these solutions and Terry's wake up grip is that you only need a single cable push to shoot vs pressing the wake up button and then releasing the shutter. For cameras like the STC unfortunately there is no option to mount the wake up grip either since it relies on mounting on the left side of the camera with short cables to the back/sync connectors. (although Alpa do have a free hanging wake up cable if you want to use it that way though).

Btw, is there any difference in the release position with the new Alpa release? Is it comfortable to reach from a right side grip for example?

Last edited:

narikin

Btw, is there any difference in the release position with the new Alpa release? Is it comfortable to reach from a right side grip for example?
hi Graham, yes the button for finger release is a little odd being on the far side of the device, but in fact, its perfectly usable.

notice the finger reaching over the cable release socket in the right side image here: http://www.alpa.ch/en/products/lenses/alpa-sync-solutions/alpa-sync-release.html

Once I'm used to the long throw of it, will become second nature. It does mean I can shoot all day with just 2 batteries, and its a neat-enough solution with short cables.