The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

H4D/60 In Hand At Last!

fotografz

Hi Marc,

This is in prototyping stage and will fit to the base of the H4D60, taking a Sony L type lithium battery which we have used before.

D
That is good news, thank you for the update David :thumbup:

Glad it utilizes that same Sony Camcorder battery since I have 6 of them and a really good Sony charger ... plus there are different capacities for extended shooting.

-Marc

fotografz

That's pretty interesting David ... and not all that expensive.

Here's a hypothetical question/observation for you David:

After shooting with the H4D/60 at ISO 800, I think Hasselblad has been quite conservative with the ISO of this camera ... especially given the size of the files in relation to actual print sizes or reproduction sizes of today's commercial work.

IMO, the company could easily offer ISO 1600 via a firmware upgrade (I'd bet a dollar to a donut, you could go to ISO 2000) ... and leave it up to the photographer as to appropriate times to employ 1600. While not optimal in terms of IQ, anyone venturing into this level of equipment probably already knows that. However, the ability to increase shutter speeds by a stop, or to stop down more, can be invaluable ... it need not be just for unavailable light photography... although that wouldn't hurt either.

It would be expected that noise would increase, yet these files are so large that the effect would be significantly decreased with most average prints or reproduction sizes ... plus, software has advanced so quickly in the past few years that high ISO color issues have been much easier to deal with than in past.

BTW, I always thought the Dalsa sensor Leaf Aptus backs could have also easily done 1600.

In short, the companies need to stop worrying about less than excellent high ISO IQ, and let the users select when and where to use it. Not everyone is after pixel peeping perfection all the time. Being able to get the shot adds diversity and ability to such an expensive piece of gear.

Just my 2¢.

-Marc

BTW, the Hasselblad site says that the H4D/60 files can be opened in LR ... when is that going to happen? I tried it and LR 3.3 doesn't recognize the images on a H4D/60 CF card. ?????

Dustbak

Not yet Marc.

[Plug]

With regard to the Stackshot. I have one and it is excellent! You type in one end where you want to have the focus, move the rails to the other end, type in the thickness of the DoF and give the stackshot a go. It will move back to the start position and will continue to make shots needed until it reaches its designated endpoint.

With Helicon you get fantastic results and hopefully the Helicon team gets it remote software so it can use the Stackshot rail without first defining a camera (eg. Canon or Nikon) so it can be used with MF and the Stackshot.

[\plug]

jlm

Workshop Member
funny, i've got a couple of gizmos, (Tigerstops) in my shop that are programmable postioning stops, .010" accuracy, 12' range of travel. Never thought about sticking a camera on one

P. Chong

Not yet Marc.

[Plug]

With regard to the Stackshot. I have one and it is excellent! You type in one end where you want to have the focus, move the rails to the other end, type in the thickness of the DoF and give the stackshot a go. It will move back to the start position and will continue to make shots needed until it reaches its designated endpoint.

With Helicon you get fantastic results and hopefully the Helicon team gets it remote software so it can use the Stackshot rail without first defining a camera (eg. Canon or Nikon) so it can be used with MF and the Stackshot.

[\plug]
I did evaluate Stackshot, but it does what I can manually do myself with a cheap Manfrotto macro rail.

But I do agree Helicon does a heckuva job at stacking the images.

Dustbak

Sure, for everything there is something cheaper that can do the same under certain conditions.

The Stackshot will deliver you slices of 1/100th of a mm if you need/wish. It will also move without you having to touch the setup. Try doing this manually ;)

I was initially looking at the RRS rails, having owned all kinds of brands I often simply prefer RRS to prevent hassle. The RRS rails was much more expensive than the Stackshot.

There is something for every budget. For appr. 700USD I think the Stackshot offers a lot and certainly convenience and speed.

fotografz

Addendum-II

Jim was good enough to bring the H4D/60 back again yesterday to demo the new firmware that now provides the double resolution LCD and sync for technical cameras, and some other stuff. As luck would have it, it was very bright and sunny outside to see how the LCD worked ... much better and very fast preview :thumbup:

Rather than go into detail suffice it to say that I completed my original trade-deal for the H4D/60 and should get it in a week or two :)

BTW, the intermittent side-by-side comparison issues in Phocus that I experienced with the first test is a known bug in the software and is being worked on.

-Marc

aeaemd

I have H4D 60 and just installed the firmware upgrade r500. Since the download, I cant get the back to respond. What have I done wrong?
I also get the error message "exposure not possible, check magazine" any ideas?

thank you.

I have H4D 60 and just installed the firmware upgrade r500. Since the download, I cant get the back to respond. What have I done wrong?
I also get the error message "exposure not possible, check magazine" any ideas?

thank you.
Did you install all updates?

Body, Sensor Unit and Viewfinder?

If not, make sure you complete all, reinstall the Sensor Unit firmware if necessary.