Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: H4D/60 In Hand At Last!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

H4D/60 In Hand At Last!

Finally was able to coordinate a test drive of the H4D/60 thanks to my local Hassey rep Jim Arnosky, and regional rep Gina Connors ... thank you both!

Of course it was raining and gloomy when I finally had time to work with the camera. However here is what I was able to test ... based on my needs and a comparison against my current kit ... a H2F/39 Multi-Shot. Even though I only had 4 hours to spare for the test, I didn't need to get up to speed on use of the H4D or Phocus ... so I could concentrate on shooting the whole time.

As luck would have it, I had a typical paying job shooting automotive fabric samples in studio ... boring stuff but a good test of ability to render detail. Both cameras mounted on a camera stand and tethered to my mac computer ... 180th shutter, HC/120 macro @ f/13, same lighting ... nothing changed except the camera body.

Conclusion: By sheer size of file, the H4D/60 easily has what it takes to deliver on this type of job via single shot, and blows away the 39 back when used in single shot mode.

Attachment 41375 Attachment 41376

We then set up a very basic portrait scenario with Jim as subject using a 1 to 2 lighting ratio ... hand-held ... also boring, but a good test using standard studio content. Using the (inappropriate) 35-90 @ 90mm the native file was 22.36" X 29.856" @ 300 dpi ... so the 200% pixel peeping crop represents a 44" X 60" final IQ ... as if

Conclusion: the Dalsa sensor delivers skin tones as promised and rendered Jim's coloring dead on the money. Note to self ... never use the zoom for a head shot

Attachment 41364 Attachment 41365

I then did some roaming hand-held ambient light stuff ... again in crappy, gloomy light, but also a good test of extremes. H4D/60 with the 35-90 ... all at ISO 800 ... but here's the kicker ... shutter speed on the Pillow shot done at 90mm was 1/45th! By using a 100ms mirror delay, I've always been able to hand-hold the H cameras better than any other MFD camera ... but was expecting more issues with a sensor this big ... a tribute to the mass of the camera combined with leaf shutters perhaps ... no focal plane shutter creating vibrations. I did NOT have my usual hand-strap on the H4D/60 demo camera, so I'd expect to do even better with one. The Tulip snap was done @ ISO 800 1/50th shutter 35-90 @ 90/5.6

Conclusion: Camera is easy to shoot hand-held. ISO 800 is fine ... the usual slight color muting but the noise structure is nice and would be easy to selectively deal with using Nik Define-2 when needed.

Attachment 41370 Attachment 41373 Attachment 41372

GENERAL NOTES:

True Focus: Absolute Position Lock will really come into it's own with this camera in comparison to the smaller sensor H4D/40 I used to have ... shallow DOF is even more of an issue with a sensor this size, and the off-center focusing issue will rear its head more frequently when using the faster HC lenses up-close ... like the 100/2.2 or 150/3.2 shot wide open to isolate the off-center subject.

Tethered shooting really puts demands on the computer. We did not have many issues, but when we tried it on Jim's older laptop it did 65 shots ... but about 20 shots into the sequence his computer slowed down to 3-5 seconds between shots ... if we tried to view images while it was still loading, the computer crashed. Conclusion: his laptop computer is to wimpy for the H4D/60 ... However, when we tried to do side-by-side comparisons of the 60 verses the 39MS @ 100 and 200% on my Mac Tower, Phocus got weird on us ... and sometimes never rendered the 60 file full resolution. Restarting Phocus helped, but it happened more than once. I have a 2 X 3 GHz Quad-Core Mac with 10 gigs of RAM and a brand new ATI Radeon HD 5770 GC with 1024MB of VRAM!

Hasselblad has yet to issue the firmware enabling the double resolution LCD ... which this camera desperately needs for spontaneous location work ... a style of shooting which it is fully capable of doing.

Hasselblad has also yet to enable sync work to use the back on a technical camera, so I was not able to mount it on my Rollie Xact-2 and test it with the Rodenstock/Schneider optics.

The camera has a new door on the bottom of the back which has different plugs ... the sync port is now located there, and a power inlet is there for some sort of power when shooting without the H4D body.

Lastly, the H4D/60 files are not yet recognized by LightRoom ... hope that happens

Over-all: a really, really nice camera! The images are spectacular. Needs some updates soon: LCD and Sync ... and the tethered performance needs immediate attention IMO.

-Marc
    Last edited by fotografz; 11th March 2011 at 20:11.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: H4D/60 In Hand At Last!

Nicely observed and written. Totally consistent with my experience. Reason for not using the 35-90 for headshots? Relentlessly sharp?

I would add to the "must have soon" category a battery pack the plugs into the DC in connector that you identified on the bottom of the back.
    Last edited by Woody Campbell; 11th March 2011 at 05:48.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the informative write up Mark. Very interesting

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the review.
    Tareq

Jim Arnosky

Hey, that's the best looking model I have ever seen! I have a great face for radio.

The firmware to enable the higher res screen and to enable the flash sync mode is scheduled to be releases right around April 15.

I found a small misprint in your review. While tethered to my underpowered mac laptop, after 20 shots the time between captures was 3-5 seconds, not 3-5 minutes.

I was with Marc during this evaluation of the H4D-60 and we were both amazed at how well this system rendered the details. In the past 13 years of using and selling digital camera backs (originally Phase One, then Phase One + Imacon/Hasselblad, and now just Hasselblad), I have never seen this much detail. Before the evaluation I honestly just expected another great looking image that was just bigger. But once we started looking at the fibers of the fibers of the treads in the fabric swatch, I was convinced this was much more than that.

Thanks
    Jim Arnosky

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Campbell View Post
    Nicely observed and written. Totally consistent with my experience. Reason for not using the 35-90 for headshots? Relentlessly sharp?

I would add to the "must have soon" category a battery pack the plugs into the DC in connector that you identified on the bottom of the back.
    I think the 35-90 is a bit too wide for a head shot Woody ... at 90mm it may be okay for some faces, but in general I think it's just a bit too much distortion for the average facial structure. I did one of Jim at full length, and the 35-90 was perfect around 70mm.

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Arnosky View Post
    Hey, that's the best looking model I have ever seen! I have a great face for radio.

The firmware to enable the higher res screen and to enable the flash sync mode is scheduled to be releases right around April 15.

I found a small misprint in your review. While tethered to my underpowered mac laptop, after 20 shots the time between captures was 3-5 seconds, not 3-5 minutes.

I was with Marc during this evaluation of the H4D-60 and we were both amazed at how well this system rendered the details. In the past 13 years of using and selling digital camera backs (originally Phase One, then Phase One + Imacon/Hasselblad, and now just Hasselblad), I have never seen this much detail. Before the evaluation I honestly just expected another great looking image that was just bigger. But once we started looking at the fibers of the fibers of the treads in the fabric swatch, I was convinced this was much more than that.

Thanks
    Jim Arnosky
    My bad jim ... not enough coffee yet when I wrote this ... thanks for the correction. 3-5 minutes would be ridiculous

I corrected my original post.

Thanks again for all your help and time.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    I think the 35-90 is a bit too wide for a head shot Woody ... at 90mm it may be okay for some faces, but in general I think it's just a bit too much distortion for the average facial structure. I did one of Jim at full length, and the 35-90 was perfect around 70mm.

-Marc
    So for a second lens for headshots, I guess the 100mm is still too short right?

Is the 120mm or 150mm better? I'm still trying to work this one out

Post Thanks / Like

-Marc
    This is a general experience I have with the 60, sometimes problematic. Every lens has suddenly turned into a wide-angle. I find I use the 150 and 210 much more often now. I would love to have a HC180/4.0.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by leicashot View Post
    So for a second lens for headshots, I guess the 100mm is still too short right?

Is the 120mm or 150mm better? I'm still trying to work this one out
    Some use the 120 because the way it renders fits their style ... I think fashion shooter Marco Grob uses the 120 for a lot of portrait work, and it's hard to argue with his results.

Personally, I prefer the 150n for a bit more reach, compression and faster max aperture ... not to mention the size of the 150 lens compared to the 120.

IMO, the perfect 3 lens portrait set is the 50, 100 and 150 (+ 1.7X) ... 50mm for full length environmental shots and groups, 100mm for mid-thigh or waist-up, and 150mm for head shots. All are small and take the same filter size so you can bring one Polarizer or ND filter for when shooting outdoors in bright light and want to limit the DOF with a max aperture.

My 2¢

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Some use the 120 because the way it renders fits their style ... I think fashion shooter Marco Grob uses the 120 for a lot of portrait work, and it's hard to argue with his results.

Personally, I prefer the 150n for a bit more reach, compression and faster max aperture ... not to mention the size of the 150 lens compared to the 120.

IMO, the perfect 3 lens portrait set is the 50, 100 and 150 (+ 1.7X) ... 50mm for full length environmental shots and groups, 100mm for mid-thigh or waist-up, and 150mm for head shots. All are small and take the same filter size so you can bring one Polarizer or ND filter for when shooting outdoors in bright light and want to limit the DOF with a max aperture.

My 2¢

-Marc
    Marc your 2c is much appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Arnosky View Post
    It will be nice to have a fully functional camera... I would have thought that a high proportion of top-end photographers buying this camera would want to use it with flash on a tech camera - so why is it taking so long?
    I have never seen this much detail. Before the evaluation I honestly just expected another great looking image that was just bigger. But once we started looking at the fibers of the fibers of the treads in the fabric swatch, I was convinced this was much more than that.

Thanks
    Jim Arnosky
    Many have said that the 60 is much better than a 50 with a proportionally bigger sensor.

Post Thanks / Like

-Marc
    My 50-110 + 300 seems a good combination, but it would be nice to have a 200 as well.

Shelby Lewis

Thanks for this Marc... as a newbie to all this MF stuff, I'm finding that any info (even about the other platforms) can be helpful.

Looks like you've got a winner there!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dick View Post
    My 50-110 + 300 seems a good combination, but it would be nice to have a 200 as well.
    Maybe Hassey needs a 90-170/4 zoom now that the 35-90 is here?

The 35-90 and 50-110 have too much overlap and 110mm isn't quite long enough on the near FF sensors.

It'd probably be too big ...

-Marc

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

One should also think about a computer upgrade when getting to these file sizes too. As Marc mentioned being tethered can have interesting results on your computer. I also agree that handheld shots in low light are very easy due the weight and CG. Although the 35-90 is a bit of a beast for handheld, the fast, 100 f/2 renders nice, fairly tight portraits with shallow DOF. The H4D/60's 200% crop is indeed impressive, given that the file is scaled for the internet and it still looks fantastic.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Hassey needs a 90-170/4 zoom now that the 35-90 is here?

The 35-90 and 50-110 have too much overlap and 110mm isn't quite long enough on the near FF sensors.

It'd probably be too big ...

-Marc
    They could start by scrapping the 35-90 and inventing something to replace it that does not clip the corners of the 60Mpx sensor...

And make remptly operable power zooms, and lenses that feed back their focus disrance to the computer for auto-DOF merge...

Post Thanks / Like

They could start by scrapping the 35-90 and inventing something to replace it that does not clip the corners of the 60Mpx sensor...

And make remptly operable power zooms, and lenses that feed back their focus disrance to the computer for auto-DOF merge...
    Not everybody owns a 60MP dick.

The market for a remotely operable zoom lens is most likely a little small.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Grover / Hasselblad View Post
    Not everybody owns a 60MP dick.

The market for a remotely operable zoom lens is most likely a little small.
    Not only that but I prefer focus stacking via a track anyway (certainly when working upclose), much better results.

Anyway. I do use a 60 and also the 35-90. I am starting to believe that the people that are complaining about the 35-90 and it's 'impossibility to use on the 60 often don't own one or have never actually experienced the 35-90 on the 60. True the 35-90 was designed to be used with in mind smaller sensors, in actuality it is much more useful on a larger sensor than the specifications on paper would make some believe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dustbak View Post
    Not only that but I prefer focus stacking via a track anyway (certainly when working upclose), much better results.

Anyway. I do use a 60 and also the 35-90. I am starting to believe that the people that are complaining about the 35-90 and it's 'impossibility to use on the 60 often don't own one or have never actually experienced the 35-90 on the 60. True the 35-90 was designed to be used with in mind smaller sensors, in actuality it is much more useful on a larger sensor than the specifications on paper would make some believe.
    Amen on the 35-90 and the H4D 60.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

. . . .
    I too use focus stacking, but in landscape situations where the adjustment has to be made by focusing rather than moving the camera. It should be technically feasible for H to provide for firmware-driven focus stacking, particularly if we all let them know that we would like it.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, focus bracketing is something that could easily be included with the H and this wish has been expressed more than once by more than one person.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, focus bracketing is something that could easily be included with the H and this wish has been expressed more than once by more than one person.
    I think the lenses feed back focus zone info rather than precise extension or focus distance... but it might be possible to achieve something useful just through focus motor run time.

I think that this would be worth perusing, as DOF is, perhaps, the main problem with MF.

Post Thanks / Like

HY6/AFi has it. Should not be all that difficult to incorporate it in the Hasselblad.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think the lenses feed back focus zone info rather than precise extension or focus distance... but it might be possible to achieve something useful just through focus motor run time.

I think that this would be worth perusing, as DOF is, perhaps, the main problem with MF.
    This is an interesting idea ... if I am understanding it correctly.

Feed back in what way?

I seem to recall some camera I once had that showed you exactly where the critical point of focus actually was in an image after taking it ... but I can't recall if it was on the LCD or in the software when processing.

Also, a number of cameras I've used had a feature where you focused on two different points in a scene and the camera set the proper f stop to keep it all in "reasonable" focus. Question is wether "reasonable" is enough with MFD as these sensors get bigger and DOF gets thinner?

Please help me understand how focus bracketing would work, and how you would apply it in practice.

Thanks,

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnnygoesdigital View Post
    One should also think about a computer upgrade when getting to these file sizes too. As Marc mentioned being tethered can have interesting results on your computer. I also agree that handheld shots in low light are very easy due the weight and CG. Although the 35-90 is a bit of a beast for handheld, the fast, 100 f/2 renders nice, fairly tight portraits with shallow DOF. The H4D/60's 200% crop is indeed impressive, given that the file is scaled for the internet and it still looks fantastic.
    You should see that 200% eye crop on a 30" screen ... actually, you can go to 300% and it still looks good! And as usual, the prints look better than the screen view.

IMO, a good handstrap with a QR plate with dual strap lugs so you can use either the hand strap or shoulder strap goes a long way in making a H camera with the bigger lenses like the 35-90 more hand holdable. The shoulder strap itself is a critical part of the equation .... the strap that comes with the camera should be discarded immediately in favor of a beefier one that has some elasticity to act as a shock absorber. I also jettisoned the H hand strap system because the way of attaching it is badly designed and limits diverse use. I much prefer the Camadapter system with the dual lug Arca quick release. In fact, I use this on all my cameras now.

I think most tethered issues will be outdated laptops that don't have enough graphics card power. Towers can be updated to keep-up at a relatively reasonable cost. Almost every issue I've encountered in tethered work had to do with the tether cord itself or the firewire port on the computer. For that reason, I've keep a supply of cords on hand and have both FW800 to 800 & FW800 to 400 versions in case something gets jinky during a shoot.

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby Lewis View Post
    Thanks for this Marc... as a newbie to all this MF stuff, I'm finding that any info (even about the other platforms) can be helpful.

Looks like you've got a winner there!
    Thanks Shelby. I've been following your MFD trek with great interest because we were fellow Sony shooters and I always admired your work with the A900. I'm very interested in the effect MFD has on you, both good and bad, as you explore the possibilities.

The H4D/60 may be a winner, but it isn't mine yet. It's a very serious financial decision at this stage of my photographic/life trek. A completely different way of thinking and working even compared to the Leica S2 kit ... which sucked up most of my gear fund for the foreseeable future. That makes this a personal expeniture rather than a business one ... which draws the wifey into the equation A wee bit hard to rationalize a camera that costs as much as a new car ... or hypothetically in her case, a fine triple strand of Mikimoto matched pearls

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Addendum:

One very serious question I have about this H4D/60 is the hinted at, but not explained, auxiliary power source. Obviously, this DB with its large Dalsa sensor is perfectly suited for use on a technical camera, and if there has been any major critical competitive difference with the HD backs it has been power issues for field work on something other than the H body. To date, this required having the Image Bank-II tethered to the back via the firewire port of the back. The Image-Bank-II is pretty small and is powered by clip-on Sony camcorder Lithium batteries ... but it is tethered nonetheless.

The new port on the bottom of the H4D/60 appears to be a standard round power port ... it seems to preclude use of an auxiliary clip-on battery like found on the Hasselblad CF backs or the Leaf Aptus backs. This seems to indicate the power source will also require some sort of tethered operation.

Now, I personally do not need this feature since all my technical camera use has been tethered to a computer, or I use the HTS/1.5 for what movements I need in the field ... however, since these backs are increasingly used by shooters on a precision tech camera, I believe it can affect value perceptions both new, and if selling used. So, it would really be nice to know where this feature is going.

Thoughts?

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Feed back in what way?
    Some data is fed back to the camera from the lens, the zoom setting, F stop and the shutter speed, as this info is required for exposure calculation, and it is also recorded with the picture, and this was possible when the controls for setting the aperture and shutter speed were on the lens.

It would be possible to feed back the focus distance or extension... it is difficult to work out how true focus can work without this info, as the camera has to re-calculate the extension to correct the focus distance to maintain focus on the subject component on which you originally focused.

I seem to recall some camera I once had that showed you exactly where the critical point of focus actually was in an image after taking it ... but I can't recall if it was on the LCD or in the software when processing.

Also, a number of cameras I've used had a feature where you focused on two different points in a scene and the camera set the proper f stop to keep it all in "reasonable" focus. Question is wether "reasonable" is enough with MFD as these sensors get bigger and DOF gets thinner?

Please help me understand how focus bracketing would work, and how you would apply it in practice.

Thanks,

-Marc
    The Sinar P2 & P3 systems have a mechanical system with which you focused on one point in a scene, and you can read off the proper f stop to keep it all in "reasonable" focus from a scale as you re-focus to the other end of the extension range.

With the Hasselblad you would focus on one end of your desired DOF range, press a button to record the setting and then do the same for the other end...

The electronics would then tell you what aperture you would need to get it all in focus, or how many exposures you would need to DOF stack to get it all in focus. If you have to use DOF stacking you would probably want to use the aperture for optimal sharpness (e.g. f8) but the software could give you the option to use any specified aperture, and would calculate the number of shots required accordingly, depending on the disc of confusion for the lens in use at the specified aperture.

Then you would press the button and let the camera get on with it, dividing the extension range by the number of shots required and setting the extension for each shot.

The true focus technology would allow you to point the rangefinder spot at subject components and re-calculate the focus distances for you.

I am a retired "has been" real-time computer programmer, electronic engineer, mechanical engineer, technical author, part-time professional photographer... an I am now trying to come out of retirement as a "solutions provider" photographer, specializing in work that the average Professional Photographer cannot cost-effectively undertake with standard pro kit.

Post Thanks / Like

Addendum:
    The new port on the bottom of the H4D/60 appears to be a standard round power port ... it seems to preclude use of an auxiliary clip-on battery like found on the Hasselblad CF backs or the Leaf Aptus backs. This seems to indicate the power source will also require some sort of tethered operation.

Thoughts?

-Marc
    I believe the there will be ¿is? a clip-on battery pack for the H4D-60 back that will allow untethered use.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I believe the there will be ¿is? a clip-on battery pack for the H4D-60 back that will allow untethered use.

It will be interesting to see how this is implemented as a clip on ... hope you are right.

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Some data is fed back to the camera from the lens, the zoom setting, F stop and the shutter speed, as this info is required for exposure calculation, and it is also recorded with the picture, and this was possible when the controls for setting the aperture and shutter speed were on the lens.

It would be possible to feed back the focus distance or extension... it is difficult to work out how true focus can work without this info, as the camera has to re-calculate the extension to correct the focus distance to maintain focus on the subject component on which you originally focused.

The Sinar P2 & P3 systems have a mechanical system with which you focused on one point in a scene, and you can read off the proper f stop to keep it all in "reasonable" focus from a scale as you re-focus to the other end of the extension range.

With the Hasselblad you would focus on one end of your desired DOF range, press a button to record the setting and then do the same for the other end...

The electronics would then tell you what aperture you would need to get it all in focus, or how many exposures you would need to DOF stack to get it all in focus. If you have to use DOF stacking you would probably want to use the aperture for optimal sharpness (e.g. f8) but the software could give you the option to use any specified aperture, and would calculate the number of shots required accordingly, depending on the disc of confusion for the lens in use at the specified aperture.

Then you would press the button and let the camera get on with it, dividing the extension range by the number of shots required and setting the extension for each shot.

The true focus technology would allow you to point the rangefinder spot at subject components and re-calculate the focus distances for you.

I am a retired "has been" real-time computer programmer, electronic engineer, mechanical engineer, technical author, part-time professional photographer... an I am now trying to come out of retirement as a "solutions provider" photographer, specializing in work that the average Professional Photographer cannot cost-effectively undertake with standard pro kit.
    Interesting idea for "repotting" yourself Dick.

Regarding the multiple focus points calculated by the camera ... of special interest would be use with the HTS/1.5 ... if it could be included as a manual focus option.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anything new with H4D-60?
    Tareq

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You should see that 200% eye crop on a 30" screen ... actually, you can go to 300% and it still looks good! And as usual, the prints look better than the screen view.

IMO, a good handstrap with a QR plate with dual strap lugs so you can use either the hand strap or shoulder strap goes a long way in making a H camera with the bigger lenses like the 35-90 more hand holdable. The shoulder strap itself is a critical part of the equation .... the strap that comes with the camera should be discarded immediately in favor of a beefier one that has some elasticity to act as a shock absorber. I also jettisoned the H hand strap system because the way of attaching it is badly designed and limits diverse use. I much prefer the Camadapter system with the dual lug Arca quick release. In fact, I use this on all my cameras now.

I think most tethered issues will be outdated laptops that don't have enough graphics card power. Towers can be updated to keep-up at a relatively reasonable cost. Almost every issue I've encountered in tethered work had to do with the tether cord itself or the firewire port on the computer. For that reason, I've keep a supply of cords on hand and have both FW800 to 800 & FW800 to 400 versions in case something gets jinky during a shoot.

-Marc

Marc,

Yes, the Camadapter/shock absorbing strap should mitigate the 35-90mm's heft, thus making an awesome lens more usable for longer shoots.

Obviously, tethered power has been the bane of my experience with technical use with the H system as it relates to portability in the field. A clip-on battery as opposed to tethered, would go a long way to liberating those landscape/macro shooters.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    Anything new with H4D-60?
    Like what? Other than purchase decision anxiety, not much.

Although, come to think of it, I did open H4D/60 shots done with the HC 120 macro and the HCD 35-90 zoom (shot at 35mm and 90mm) and the files were identical in size.

I thought the zoom cropped a tiny bit?

I even went back into Phocus and made sure there was zero crop on any image.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

In the preferences of Phocus you can check that HCD images are either cropped or not. You have probably turned this off, you will have the full 60MP image in that case.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In the preferences of Phocus you can check that HCD images are either cropped or not. You have probably turned this off, you will have the full 60MP image in that case.
    Thanks, I suspected something like that. I'll have to go back and inspect the edges of the FF 35-90 H4D/60 shots ... probably doesn't matter with Portraits and such. Didn't even notice it on the flower shot or other stuff I shot outside.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Like what? Other than purchase decision anxiety, not much.

Although, come to think of it, I did open H4D/60 shots done with the HC 120 macro and the HCD 35-90 zoom (shot at 35mm and 90mm) and the files were identical in size.

I thought the zoom cropped a tiny bit?

I even went back into Phocus and made sure there was zero crop on any image.

-Marc
    I don't know, just i feel anyone got this camera and do reviews or tests i feel there is something i don't know, so how can i test the camera to see what i am missing?
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like

It will be interesting to see how this is implemented as a clip on ... hope you are right.

-Marc
    Hi Marc,

This is in prototyping stage and will fit to the base of the H4D60, taking a Sony L type lithium battery which we have used before.

D

Post Thanks / Like

Feed back in what way?

Thanks,

-Marc
    Hi Marc,

The "hyperfocal" distance feature you mention has been on a few cameras (I think Canon). It is actually held as a patent - so if a company (such as us) would want to include it then a license fee appears.

Technically it might not be possible to achieve anyway, as the lens reports what 'Zone' it is in to the camera. If your two focus points are within the same zone then there would not be enough data to do an accurate, useful calculation.

Focus stacking, I think could be done with firmware, but again, it might be harder than it actually seems.

David

Post Thanks / Like

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Marc,

This is in prototyping stage and will fit to the base of the H4D60, taking a Sony L type lithium battery which we have used before.

D
    That is good news, thank you for the update David

Glad it utilizes that same Sony Camcorder battery since I have 6 of them and a really good Sony charger ... plus there are different capacities for extended shooting.

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's pretty interesting David ... and not all that expensive.

Here's a hypothetical question/observation for you David:

After shooting with the H4D/60 at ISO 800, I think Hasselblad has been quite conservative with the ISO of this camera ... especially given the size of the files in relation to actual print sizes or reproduction sizes of today's commercial work.

IMO, the company could easily offer ISO 1600 via a firmware upgrade (I'd bet a dollar to a donut, you could go to ISO 2000) ... and leave it up to the photographer as to appropriate times to employ 1600. While not optimal in terms of IQ, anyone venturing into this level of equipment probably already knows that. However, the ability to increase shutter speeds by a stop, or to stop down more, can be invaluable ... it need not be just for unavailable light photography... although that wouldn't hurt either.

It would be expected that noise would increase, yet these files are so large that the effect would be significantly decreased with most average prints or reproduction sizes ... plus, software has advanced so quickly in the past few years that high ISO color issues have been much easier to deal with than in past.

BTW, I always thought the Dalsa sensor Leaf Aptus backs could have also easily done 1600.

In short, the companies need to stop worrying about less than excellent high ISO IQ, and let the users select when and where to use it. Not everyone is after pixel peeping perfection all the time. Being able to get the shot adds diversity and ability to such an expensive piece of gear.

Just my 2¢.

-Marc

BTW, the Hasselblad site says that the H4D/60 files can be opened in LR ... when is that going to happen? I tried it and LR 3.3 doesn't recognize the images on a H4D/60 CF card. ?????

Post Thanks / Like

Not yet Marc.

[Plug]

With regard to the Stackshot. I have one and it is excellent! You type in one end where you want to have the focus, move the rails to the other end, type in the thickness of the DoF and give the stackshot a go. It will move back to the start position and will continue to make shots needed until it reaches its designated endpoint.

With Helicon you get fantastic results and hopefully the Helicon team gets it remote software so it can use the Stackshot rail without first defining a camera (eg. Canon or Nikon) so it can be used with MF and the Stackshot.

[\plug]

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

funny, i've got a couple of gizmos, (Tigerstops) in my shop that are programmable postioning stops, .010" accuracy, 12' range of travel. Never thought about sticking a camera on one

Post Thanks / Like

Stackshot works for Macro but not on a DSLR for landscapes - I have been thinking of using a stackshot (or velmex) on the rear standard of a view camera for landscapes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not yet Marc.

[Plug]

With regard to the Stackshot. I have one and it is excellent! You type in one end where you want to have the focus, move the rails to the other end, type in the thickness of the DoF and give the stackshot a go. It will move back to the start position and will continue to make shots needed until it reaches its designated endpoint.

With Helicon you get fantastic results and hopefully the Helicon team gets it remote software so it can use the Stackshot rail without first defining a camera (eg. Canon or Nikon) so it can be used with MF and the Stackshot.

[\plug]
    I did evaluate Stackshot, but it does what I can manually do myself with a cheap Manfrotto macro rail.

But I do agree Helicon does a heckuva job at stacking the images.

Post Thanks / Like

Sure, for everything there is something cheaper that can do the same under certain conditions.

The Stackshot will deliver you slices of 1/100th of a mm if you need/wish. It will also move without you having to touch the setup. Try doing this manually

I was initially looking at the RRS rails, having owned all kinds of brands I often simply prefer RRS to prevent hassle. The RRS rails was much more expensive than the Stackshot.

There is something for every budget. For appr. 700USD I think the Stackshot offers a lot and certainly convenience and speed.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Addendum-II

Jim was good enough to bring the H4D/60 back again yesterday to demo the new firmware that now provides the double resolution LCD and sync for technical cameras, and some other stuff. As luck would have it, it was very bright and sunny outside to see how the LCD worked ... much better and very fast preview

Rather than go into detail suffice it to say that I completed my original trade-deal for the H4D/60 and should get it in a week or two

BTW, the intermittent side-by-side comparison issues in Phocus that I experienced with the first test is a known bug in the software and is being worked on.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

I have H4D 60 and just installed the firmware upgrade r500. Since the download, I cant get the back to respond. What have I done wrong?
    I also get the error message "exposure not possible, check magazine" any ideas?

thank you.