The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One Pro question

Valentin

There was a reason I moved to LR :D This new version is not intuitive at all.

If I want to re-arange the images (so I can rename them), how the heck do you do that? It has a sorting feature (but no user option). If I drag the image nothing happens.

Right now the only thing visible is the browser, in grid format (entire screen). Kind of LR in grid mode.

The help file ... let's just say that it's not that helpful (and the YouTube videos don't show you if you can do this).

Valentin

Expand on this, please? How do you mean, "For 1"?

Steve Hendrix
Sorry, I was referring to my first point. Is there a setting that will auto move to the next image when you rate an image?

In LR, there is a "auto advance" setting that you can turn on. When you rate an image (1 star), it automatically moves to the next image.

Valentin

After a little bit more digging, I found on the forums that it's not possible to manually re-arrange images in the browser.

As of now (v6.2), culling and sorting is lacking (compared to LR). I'm a little bit surprised that no other professionals requested this in all these years.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
After a little bit more digging, I found on the forums that it's not possible to manually re-arrange images in the browser.

As of now (v6.2), culling and sorting is lacking (compared to LR). I'm a little bit surprised that no other professionals requested this in all these years.
I think you'll find after using both programs long enough to be an expert in both that both programs lack certain no-brainer features that make the other a faster/more-powerful program.

Rearranging arbitrarily in the browser has been a major feature request since Capture One 4. Since then many other great and very useful features (some unique to Capture One) have been added, but not this one. Seems very likely it will be an option at some point.

Just remember to take each program on it's own merits and total workflow/quality rather than focus on the differences between them. I think thats the fair way to judge the two.

BTW, I find "intuitive" is almost always a word-substitute for "familiar". I would agree that there is a steeper learning curve - partly because it's not an Adobe product and therefore doesn't follow some Adobe conventions that many people are already familiar with, partly because it is a more flexible and customizable program with many niche tools. Niche tools are great when you need them but when you don't need them they just crowd the display and make you feel the program is more complicated than it really is. Take a look at [Window > Workspace > Simplified] for a quick idea of how the program can feel if you customize away the tools you don't need (and rearrange/regroup the ones you do into an order that makes sense to your needs).

Keep at it!

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I only have two frustrations with C1 Pro.

The first is the cropping tool which, as I've mentioned in another thread, does not allow for a proportional crop by selecting the corner node and holding the shift key. That's standard feature of every professional software I've ever used to re-size a box.

The second is more likely to be my own misunderstanding of how the program works. I find it very frustrating that the output folder is tied to the recipe. After the initial import setup where naming conventions and storage locations are input, if you want the output from one job to be in a different place than another, you have to modify the recipe with new output location info every time. If I don't take the time to go into the recipe on every new shoot and set up a new directory for the output files, I end up with a mish mosh of various shoots in one folder. I'd rather that the input info automatically influenced the recipe so that output stays in the same folder.

Does that make sense? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
Tim

Valentin

Just remember to take each program on it's own merits and total workflow/quality rather than focus on the differences between them...

BTW, I find "intuitive" is almost always a word-substitute for "familiar"....

Niche tools are great when you need them but when you don't need them they just crowd the display and make you feel the program is more complicated than it really is. Take a look at [Window > Workspace > Simplified] for a quick idea of how the program can feel if you customize away the tools you don't need (and rearrange/regroup the ones you do into an order that makes sense to your needs).

Keep at it!

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Thanks Doug for your input. I do realize that there will always be differences and a program does one thing better than another. I like to stay within one software to do most of my adjustments. As of now, C1 is lacking in the beginning stages of my workflow: culling.

In terms of "intuitive", my assessment is based on using various programs over the years as well as comparing it with it's own old version, Capture One 3.7

After using a DB I had to look into using the program (LR doesn't have any profiles for DB and it's more work to get the images right). After viewing some videos, I am more familiar now with the program (stopped using it when they moved to v4) and found some great tips on YouTube.

The most confusing thing with it, is that you find the same tool under different tabs. It makes you wonder why would they include the same tool under different tabs (especially since you can customize your tabs/tools).

Luckily, there is GetDPI :)

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The second is more likely to be my own misunderstanding of how the program works. I find it very frustrating that the output folder is tied to the recipe. After the initial import setup where naming conventions and storage locations are input, if you want the output from one job to be in a different place than another, you have to modify the recipe with new output location info every time. If I don't take the time to go into the recipe on every new shoot and set up a new directory for the output files, I end up with a mish mosh of various shoots in one folder. I'd rather that the input info automatically influenced the recipe so that output stays in the same folder.
Tim, this is dependent on how you utilize Sessions. If, on import, you create a new session for each job, then Capture One will create all the necessary folders in one location - you will not have to set the location for the Output folder, it will be in the same location as the the rest of the folders for that session.

If you are importing many different jobs or shoots using one overriding session (and creating new folders and locations for the imported files), then you will have to set up a new directory for the output folder, otherwise it will revert to the last used location.

Steve Hendrix

Thanks Doug for your input. I do realize that there will always be differences and a program does one thing better than another. I like to stay within one software to do most of my adjustments. As of now, C1 is lacking in the beginning stages of my workflow: culling.

In terms of "intuitive", my assessment is based on using various programs over the years as well as comparing it with it's own old version, Capture One 3.7

After using a DB I had to look into using the program (LR doesn't have any profiles for DB and it's more work to get the images right). After viewing some videos, I am more familiar now with the program (stopped using it when they moved to v4) and found some great tips on YouTube.

The most confusing thing with it, is that you find the same tool under different tabs. It makes you wonder why would they include the same tool under different tabs (especially since you can customize your tabs/tools).

Luckily, there is GetDPI :)

I feel very strongly that the very first thing one should do with Capture One is to completely customize the program - which it allows you to do on a scale that very few other programs of this type allow (in fact none that I'm aware of, although, I spend little time outside of the obvious choices).

You will be much happier.

Steve Hendrix

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Tim, this is dependent on how you utilize Sessions. If, on import, you create a new session for each job, then Capture One will create all the necessary folders in one location - you will not have to set the location for the Output folder, it will be in the same location as the the rest of the folders for that session.

If you are importing many different jobs or shoots using one overriding session (and creating new folders and locations for the imported files), then you will have to set up a new directory for the output folder, otherwise it will revert to the last used location.
Just what I needed to know. Thanks! I've often suspected that sessions were something I should understand better but have been too lazy. I'll do it from now on.

Tim

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Tim once you setup a new session everything automatically goes into that main session( unless you physically change it). So it really is actually kind of easy the trick is to always do NEW sessions on each and every job.

Now sometimes I admit that I will go outside the session to output in another folder but I do that in the processing tab.

Again reason I like the sessions is everything goes in that folder this keeps your hard drive clean and you don't have to go into your machine and clean out all those files like you used to do. Bottom line C1 loves sessions and ultimately is the better way to work. Its also easier as well once you understand them. Nice to file like this also

Valentin

I feel very strongly that the very first thing one should do with Capture One is to completely customize the program - which it allows you to do on a scale that very few other programs of this type allow (in fact none that I'm aware of, although, I spend little time outside of the obvious choices).

You will be much happier.

Steve Hendrix
That's very true. I had to spend some time on YouTube :). Now, I have it setup the way I like it (and makes sense to me).

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Tim once you setup a new session everything automatically goes into that main session( unless you physically change it). So it really is actually kind of easy the trick is to always do NEW sessions on each and every job.

Thanks Guy. It sometime takes me too long to pick up on what's obvious. I've always glazed over the discussions of sessions but now see the beauty of them. I'm a session man from now on!

Tim

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hey i did the same thing by keep using the default program without setting up sessions and than realizing I was simply just hosing my system up. I was a very strict keep raws and finals away from each other. Jack used to go crazy watching me. LOL

So for everyone the real key here is sessions and doing a new one for each shooting session you do. Obviously you can add to a existing one beyond one CF card as well but a good practice is just keep making new sessions for each job or shoot you do.

I admit i am a stubborn bull sometimes but I saw the light. LOL