Site Sponsors

Thread: Capture One Pro question

Post Thanks / Like

Capture One Pro question

Hi,

I used to use C1 extensively until they changed the interface with v4. I just installed v6 to see how it looks and give it another try.

I remember with v3.xx you could specify where to have the preview and work files (I like to keep the work files along with the RAW files for easy back up). I looked in the preferences and I can't find that option anymore. Is it still possible to tell the program where to keep those files?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Capture One Pro question

Valentine I think you maybe referring to sessions. Here is a little video introduction to them.
    http://bit.ly/gI5YDe
    Also here is a whole page full of them on the PhaseOne website.
    http://bit.ly/hvyIIi
    Hope this helps.
    L
    LANCE SCHAD - Digital Transitions - Phase One,Mamiya | Leaf,Arca-Swiss,Cambo, Profoto
    direct/cell:610-496-5586 office:877-367-8537x224
    http://www.digitaltransitions.com email:[email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Not quite sure what you mean but in V6 the RAW files are stored in the capture folder and within the capture folder along with your RAW files are two other folders (cache and settings) that contain your image previews and adjstment settings.

Just back up the Capture folder and all you images along with their adjustment settings are together.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lance_schad View Post
    Valentine I think you maybe referring to sessions. Here is a little video introduction to them.
    http://bit.ly/gI5YDe
    Also here is a whole page full of them on the PhaseOne website.
    http://bit.ly/hvyIIi
    Hope this helps.
    L
    Hi Lance,

Thanks, but no, I'm not talking about sessions. I was looking for the folders gazwas mentions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    Not quite sure what you mean but in V6 the RAW files are stored in the capture folder and within the capture folder along with your RAW files are two other folders (cache and settings) that contain your image previews and adjstment settings.

Just back up the Capture folder and all you images along with their adjustment settings are together.
    Thanks. It looks like now it's automatically created under the folder where the files reside. In 3.x (and prior) versions, you could decide where you what these folders to be.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You can make your output files go anywhere you want outside of the session folder. I do this a lot sometimes. In the Processing tab I can direct the final output anywhere i want. Doing that the final images will not go in the session folder if that is what you are after.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Valentin View Post
    Thanks. It looks like now it's automatically created under the folder where the files reside. In 3.x (and prior) versions, you could decide where you what these folders to be.
    For anyone getting confused...

You could only specificy Cache/Preview locations on Windows. On Mac they have always (including v3) been in a subfolder alongside the raw files.

As a shameless plug we have Capture One Pro Workshops in 13 cities this year.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
    Phase One Partner of the Year
    Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
    Newsletter | RSS Feed
    Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    You could only specificy Cache/Preview locations on Windows. On Mac they have always (including v3) been in a subfolder alongside the raw files....
    Doug, I didn't know that. Yes, it was a PC. Since it puts them now in the files folder, it's no biggie. The advantage of allowing you to choose the location is that you could put them on a separate HD (SSD for example) which would speed up the workflow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    You can make your output files go anywhere you want outside of the session folder. I do this a lot sometimes. In the Processing tab I can direct the final output anywhere i want. Doing that the final images will not go in the session folder if that is what you are after.
    Thanks Guy. I know you can output in different locations ... I was looking for the preview/work files (the ones that hold the info in regard to the adjustments).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They stay with your session folder in the output folder is a folder called capture One and than a cache than proxies folder.

I actually like that they stay WITH your session folder this way it keeps you hard drive clean and everything with that certain session folder stays together. I did in the past not make session folders and just used a default well one day I went to clean and it was 4gbs of adjustment files. So I changed my ways and started doing sessions than i also back up everything together on separate drives . Than when I need that job back say a month later I just download the folder back to the desktop and work from there. Once you get used to working with sessions it really makes organizing yourself better. I fought this for a long time and finally gave in. Jacks laughing right now
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

So, experimenting with C1Pro 6 alongside Aperture; first a description of my present workflow, then my question:

I copy from 4GB CF cards, used in various cameras. 4GB, because they fit on a DVD, and in my present workflow, once copied to HDD, DVD copies are made immediately before doing anything else. Old school these days, with RAID arrays and so on, but it has worked for me for a long time.

My question is how to handle the files once in folders on my "Raw" drive. If I point C1Pro6 at that folder on that drive, it makes all its cache and other folders within that folder. I know that Outputs can be put anywhere (I have a second drive called WIP (work in progress) for prints, galleries, and so on) that can be used this way.

If I make a session on another drive, it will duplicate these files on Import, as far as I can see. In the big picture, this might not be a problem and I would have an additional backup in this case. Aperture, on the other hand, can be pointed to the Raw drive, and it makes previews from these files, but does not add any files to the original folder. Can C1Pro work this way? for various reasons, I would much prefer to keep the Raw HDD clean with only the as-transferred files on it.

Or is it better to simply allow C1 to duplicate the files as mentioned, and then keep all its files in the Sessions folder?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kit laughlin View Post
    My question is how to handle the files once in folders on my "Raw" drive. If I point C1Pro6 at that folder on that drive, it makes all its cache and other folders within that folder. I know that Outputs can be put anywhere (I have a second drive called WIP (work in progress) for prints, galleries, and so on) that can be used this way.

If I make a session on another drive, it will duplicate these files on Import, as far as I can see. In the big picture, this might not be a problem and I would have an additional backup in this case. Aperture, on the other hand, can be pointed to the Raw drive, and it makes previews from these files, but does not add any files to the original folder. Can C1Pro work this way? for various reasons, I would much prefer to keep the Raw HDD clean with only the as-transferred files on it.

Or is it better to simply allow C1 to duplicate the files as mentioned, and then keep all its files in the Sessions folder?
    "Can C1Pro work this way?"
    No

"Or is it better to simply allow C1 to duplicate the files as mentioned, and then keep all its files in the Sessions folder?"
    No

"For various reasons, I would much prefer to keep the Raw HDD clean with only the as-transferred files on it."
    If this is highly important to you then C1 is not for you. It requires the cache/settings to be alongside the raws. There are various advantageous to this, including incredible portability of any given session (since all information about the session is contained within a folder and not a centralized database/archive/file) and it basically only has one draw back (the visual and file structure "messiness" of having an extra folder called "Capture One" inside of which is the C1 cache/settings for that raw(s) anywhere you have a raw file.

However we all have different needs, and if one of your (high-priority) needs is to keep the drive "clean" of any file other than the original raw then C1 will simply not work for you.

I've often considered writing an Apple Script that would simply hide all folders called "Capture One". Some people get really hung up on seeing them. I did too at first several years ago, but they sort of fade into the background and become part of the "norm". Now I might even miss them if they were gone .

Newsletter | RSS Feed

Post Thanks / Like

I attended the Atlanta Capture Integration workshop for Capture One last month. It was fantastic. There is no substitute for seeing all the powerful tools demonstrated one by one. Doug moved through each module and had great tips on customizing the program to suit each users needs. It was a full ten hour day, but invaluable to getting the most out of the software and more importantly realizing your photographic aspirations...
    During breaks you can meet some talented people who have had their own experiences and tricks to share. And hey, it's a bargain at $99.
    George T. Griswold, Jr.
    www.videonow.info
    www.georgegriswold.com Photographs

Post Thanks / Like

Doug, if I get the U S work visa I have applied for, then you have a new student. I am going to take a long look at how both these programs work—and both are deep and powerful, as far as I can see.

One day, I would love to see a definitive comparison between them, for FF DSLRs, of the sort I use for work (D700, A850).

And, Doug, I can rework my usual workflow to accommodate the way C1 'thinks'—but I would love some definitive reasons for doing so. I have been an ACR user since ACR 2, but somewhere around ACR 7 Aperture finally started to work, and I moved to that. As a total workflow that covers galleries/proofs and excellent results for me for these two cameras, it seems hard to beat. As well, it thinks like other Apple products that I use daily (like Final Cut Pro, for example).

I might just need an attitude adjustment—if I can be convinced that C1 Pro 6 will do a better job than Aperture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kit you need a attitude adjustment. LOL

Seriously it does take some rethinking on our part as I had to do this also. I use to spilt the raws and finals up and not do sessions. Problem there is you fill you hard drive with adjustments on your hard drive. Sessions make them portable to different machines and such which is pretty cool. Also you can and sometimes I do this is split the finals off to a different folder. So there are a lot of tricks you can do but in the end it is best the adjustment folder stay with the Raws so 6 months from now you can go right back to working with your older adjustments or make new ones. Besides all that C1 in my mind is the best raw processor there is period. Thats my opinion though

Post Thanks / Like

For me, the biggest drawback of not allowing the user to select a different location is speed: put them on a SSD. Since they are not high capacity (as of now), you can't put too much work on them. Of course, workload differs for different photographers and for some the existing SSDs might be enough.

...and it basically only has one draw back (the visual and file structure "messiness" of having an extra folder called "Capture One" inside of which is the C1 cache/settings for that raw(s) anywhere you have a raw file. ...

Newsletter | RSS Feed

Post Thanks / Like

@ Guy—I knew this, and other people say so, too!!! LOL

I desperately want to do a course on this program; I got the Lum. Landscape ones, and have worked through most of Peter Eastway's ones, too.

Main reason is your and Jack's opinion: I respect these. Without being shown al the power under the hood, it's easy to slip back into what you know well. I'll keep plugging away at it. Thanks! KL

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I've got a couple more questions:

1. In LR, when I rate an image (1 star), it moves to the next image (it's a setting that you can turn on/off). Is that possible on C1?

2. When having multiple images selected (trying to decide which one to keep), if I try to rate the one I want (white border around it), it applies the rating to all images selected. What's the point of comparing multiple images if you can't rate the ONE you want?

Am I missing some setting or what?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK, I've got a couple more questions:

1. In LR, when I rate an image (1 star), it moves to the next image (it's a setting that you can turn on/off). Is that possible on C1?

2. When having multiple images selected (trying to decide which one to keep), if I try to rate the one I want (white border around it), it applies the rating to all images selected. What's the point of comparing multiple images if you can't rate the ONE you want?

Am I missing some setting or what?

Thanks.
    Valentin -

You could un-toggle the Edit Primary and Edit Selects (make it grey), so that anything you do only applies to the primary selection.

The Edit toggle switch is in the upper toolbar normally somewhere below the camera menu, depending on your workspace.

Steve Hendrix
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar Authorized Reseller

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steve, that did the trick.

For 1, is that a possibility?

Post Thanks / Like

There was a reason I moved to LR This new version is not intuitive at all.

If I want to re-arange the images (so I can rename them), how the heck do you do that? It has a sorting feature (but no user option). If I drag the image nothing happens.

Right now the only thing visible is the browser, in grid format (entire screen). Kind of LR in grid mode.

The help file ... let's just say that it's not that helpful (and the YouTube videos don't show you if you can do this).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Steve, that did the trick.

For 1, is that a possibility?

Expand on this, please? How do you mean, "For 1"?

Steve Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix View Post
    Expand on this, please? How do you mean, "For 1"?

Steve Hendrix
    Sorry, I was referring to my first point. Is there a setting that will auto move to the next image when you rate an image?

In LR, there is a "auto advance" setting that you can turn on. When you rate an image (1 star), it automatically moves to the next image.

Post Thanks / Like

After a little bit more digging, I found on the forums that it's not possible to manually re-arrange images in the browser.

As of now (v6.2), culling and sorting is lacking (compared to LR). I'm a little bit surprised that no other professionals requested this in all these years.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

After a little bit more digging, I found on the forums that it's not possible to manually re-arrange images in the browser.

As of now (v6.2), culling and sorting is lacking (compared to LR). I'm a little bit surprised that no other professionals requested this in all these years.
    I think you'll find after using both programs long enough to be an expert in both that both programs lack certain no-brainer features that make the other a faster/more-powerful program.

Rearranging arbitrarily in the browser has been a major feature request since Capture One 4. Since then many other great and very useful features (some unique to Capture One) have been added, but not this one. Seems very likely it will be an option at some point.

Just remember to take each program on it's own merits and total workflow/quality rather than focus on the differences between them. I think thats the fair way to judge the two.

BTW, I find "intuitive" is almost always a word-substitute for "familiar". I would agree that there is a steeper learning curve - partly because it's not an Adobe product and therefore doesn't follow some Adobe conventions that many people are already familiar with, partly because it is a more flexible and customizable program with many niche tools. Niche tools are great when you need them but when you don't need them they just crowd the display and make you feel the program is more complicated than it really is. Take a look at [Window > Workspace > Simplified] for a quick idea of how the program can feel if you customize away the tools you don't need (and rearrange/regroup the ones you do into an order that makes sense to your needs).

Keep at it!

Newsletter | RSS Feed

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I only have two frustrations with C1 Pro.

The first is the cropping tool which, as I've mentioned in another thread, does not allow for a proportional crop by selecting the corner node and holding the shift key. That's standard feature of every professional software I've ever used to re-size a box.

The second is more likely to be my own misunderstanding of how the program works. I find it very frustrating that the output folder is tied to the recipe. After the initial import setup where naming conventions and storage locations are input, if you want the output from one job to be in a different place than another, you have to modify the recipe with new output location info every time. If I don't take the time to go into the recipe on every new shoot and set up a new directory for the output files, I end up with a mish mosh of various shoots in one folder. I'd rather that the input info automatically influenced the recipe so that output stays in the same folder.

Does that make sense? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Just remember to take each program on it's own merits and total workflow/quality rather than focus on the differences between them...

BTW, I find "intuitive" is almost always a word-substitute for "familiar"....

Niche tools are great when you need them but when you don't need them they just crowd the display and make you feel the program is more complicated than it really is. Take a look at [Window > Workspace > Simplified] for a quick idea of how the program can feel if you customize away the tools you don't need (and rearrange/regroup the ones you do into an order that makes sense to your needs).

Keep at it!

Newsletter | RSS Feed

Thanks Doug for your input. I do realize that there will always be differences and a program does one thing better than another. I like to stay within one software to do most of my adjustments. As of now, C1 is lacking in the beginning stages of my workflow: culling.

In terms of "intuitive", my assessment is based on using various programs over the years as well as comparing it with it's own old version, Capture One 3.7

After using a DB I had to look into using the program (LR doesn't have any profiles for DB and it's more work to get the images right). After viewing some videos, I am more familiar now with the program (stopped using it when they moved to v4) and found some great tips on YouTube.

The most confusing thing with it, is that you find the same tool under different tabs. It makes you wonder why would they include the same tool under different tabs (especially since you can customize your tabs/tools).

Luckily, there is GetDPI

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post
    The second is more likely to be my own misunderstanding of how the program works. I find it very frustrating that the output folder is tied to the recipe. After the initial import setup where naming conventions and storage locations are input, if you want the output from one job to be in a different place than another, you have to modify the recipe with new output location info every time. If I don't take the time to go into the recipe on every new shoot and set up a new directory for the output files, I end up with a mish mosh of various shoots in one folder. I'd rather that the input info automatically influenced the recipe so that output stays in the same folder.
    Tim, this is dependent on how you utilize Sessions. If, on import, you create a new session for each job, then Capture One will create all the necessary folders in one location - you will not have to set the location for the Output folder, it will be in the same location as the the rest of the folders for that session.

If you are importing many different jobs or shoots using one overriding session (and creating new folders and locations for the imported files), then you will have to set up a new directory for the output folder, otherwise it will revert to the last used location.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Doug for your input. I do realize that there will always be differences and a program does one thing better than another. I like to stay within one software to do most of my adjustments. As of now, C1 is lacking in the beginning stages of my workflow: culling.

In terms of "intuitive", my assessment is based on using various programs over the years as well as comparing it with it's own old version, Capture One 3.7

After using a DB I had to look into using the program (LR doesn't have any profiles for DB and it's more work to get the images right). After viewing some videos, I am more familiar now with the program (stopped using it when they moved to v4) and found some great tips on YouTube.

The most confusing thing with it, is that you find the same tool under different tabs. It makes you wonder why would they include the same tool under different tabs (especially since you can customize your tabs/tools).

Luckily, there is GetDPI

I feel very strongly that the very first thing one should do with Capture One is to completely customize the program - which it allows you to do on a scale that very few other programs of this type allow (in fact none that I'm aware of, although, I spend little time outside of the obvious choices).

You will be much happier.

Steve Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmb_ View Post
    Tim, this is dependent on how you utilize Sessions. If, on import, you create a new session for each job, then Capture One will create all the necessary folders in one location - you will not have to set the location for the Output folder, it will be in the same location as the the rest of the folders for that session.

If you are importing many different jobs or shoots using one overriding session (and creating new folders and locations for the imported files), then you will have to set up a new directory for the output folder, otherwise it will revert to the last used location.
    Just what I needed to know. Thanks! I've often suspected that sessions were something I should understand better but have been too lazy. I'll do it from now on.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tim once you setup a new session everything automatically goes into that main session( unless you physically change it). So it really is actually kind of easy the trick is to always do NEW sessions on each and every job.

Now sometimes I admit that I will go outside the session to output in another folder but I do that in the processing tab.

Again reason I like the sessions is everything goes in that folder this keeps your hard drive clean and you don't have to go into your machine and clean out all those files like you used to do. Bottom line C1 loves sessions and ultimately is the better way to work. Its also easier as well once you understand them. Nice to file like this also

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix View Post
    I feel very strongly that the very first thing one should do with Capture One is to completely customize the program - which it allows you to do on a scale that very few other programs of this type allow (in fact none that I'm aware of, although, I spend little time outside of the obvious choices).

You will be much happier.

Steve Hendrix
    That's very true. I had to spend some time on YouTube . Now, I have it setup the way I like it (and makes sense to me).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Tim once you setup a new session everything automatically goes into that main session( unless you physically change it). So it really is actually kind of easy the trick is to always do NEW sessions on each and every job.

Thanks Guy. It sometime takes me too long to pick up on what's obvious. I've always glazed over the discussions of sessions but now see the beauty of them. I'm a session man from now on!

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey i did the same thing by keep using the default program without setting up sessions and than realizing I was simply just hosing my system up. I was a very strict keep raws and finals away from each other. Jack used to go crazy watching me. LOL

So for everyone the real key here is sessions and doing a new one for each shooting session you do. Obviously you can add to a existing one beyond one CF card as well but a good practice is just keep making new sessions for each job or shoot you do.

I admit i am a stubborn bull sometimes but I saw the light. LOL