The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MF for landscape architecture

dick

The crop factor of any sensor is important, but you say you don't like very wide lenses, that IMO, are a must for L/A.
I hate wide angles, and, generally, the pictures they produce, but some Architecture you cannot do without them.

I rarely see a WA landscape that would not have made a better picture with a longer lens.

But I do have a 100 degree lens (and I hope to get it mounted sometime soon).

Jérôme.E

Erick,

For architecture photography you have to consider that with the blad 28mm + sensor crop 1.3 (or 1.1 with the 39) + HTS, your largest T/S lens would be something like 55mm (or 45mm) equivalent to a 35mm (28mm) for 24x36. You should get info with image circle too.
I understand you don't like very wide lens but as you know, city streets in France are not wide as USA's one and sometimes a 28 or 35 (645) can really help you a lot.
Same for me if could shoot always architecture with 80-110-200 it would be best but it never happen often in Paris ( i don't even talk about interiors ).
If you make your living with this kind of pictures it is something to take care of.
Like you i've made a lot of research to find a set that fit my wishes... sure it's hard because both systems have their qualities ( and a lot of weaknesses :ROTFL: ) but for architecture (for landscape both are quite the same IMO) i think Phase/Leaf products are more useful, you can put them easily on Techcam with no microlens problems or use them with a lot of camera systems. You surely go one day or another for a Techcam because it is simply the best for architecture (for landscape too IMO). You could also stitch easily, even if you decide to choose a 42 Roden. as your largest lens, if you need to go wider. :thumbup:

David said Dalsa sensor 22 or 33mp were a bad choice for that... pretty strange i never heard someone complaining with this set for architecture... some others think it is one of the best choice for movements on a Techcam, i haven't this DB but it's what i red often when i was searching... not to expensive and not too big files. Moire, hum not convinced... as far as you don't shoot fashion/textiles all times it won't happen often.
This guy use a leaf dalsa 33mp with fashion... he doesn't seem to be disappointed with moire and a lack of details!! http://www.frankdoorhof.com/site/
About the loss of fine details with dalsa 33...!!!??? Yair/Doug... do you confirm :ROTFL:

If you can afford IQ backs they are certainly the best for those both photography categories.
If you haven't red Jack/Guy's (and others) post about these yet... DO! I'd have waited for those if i hadn't bought mine already... as far as you shoot exteriors it seems so powerful and useful.

Hope this help

Nota: Are you ErickB from Chassimages??

Jeffg53

Erick, it's certainly been a good choice for me. A hands on trial with your friendly local dealer should be very informative.

micek

Erick,

David said Dalsa sensor 22 or 33mp were a bad choice for that... pretty strange i never heard someone complaining with this set for architecture...
Well, I use an aptus 22 for architecture and it is indeed frustrating. It is very common where I live for modern buildings to be fitted with blinds and other patterned features that provide endless opportunities for moire to appear, in many cases so severe that it can't be dealt with.

Jérôme.E

Really!! Oups sorry to hear it.
You are the first i've heard and i questioned/red a lot about it months ago.
With mine (II 10) i haven't seen such problems.
Like to see crops

Steve Hendrix

Not necessarily Erick.

Not everybody wants a million MPs and sales figures show that.

On the contrary, there is no question that MP counts will go 60, 80, 100. They're already at 60/80 from Leaf/Mamiya and Phase One. So, not sure why you seem uncertain, but perhaps you're only stating Hasselblad's intentions? In fact, there is no question they will go higher.

I don't know that MP counts will ever get to a million. But in terms of sales figures, there is huge demand for higher megapixels if they're offered. I would say of all our IQ orders, at least 60% are for IQ180.

Perhaps sales figures for Hasselblad reflect more demand for the H4D-40, which is a well priced and versatile kit, and I'm sure outsells the H4D-60 by a wide margin.

Steve Hendrix

johnnygoesdigital

Erick,
One more item to consider is, the battery. I agree with JeromeE. that one who shoots L/A almost always will consider a tech camera at some point. With a Phase 645 DF you can shoot with AF and the choice of leaf or focal plane shutter @ 1/4000 sec. This way you can capture fast sports and high flash synch with appropriate lenses and then swap the DB to any number of tech cameras without the need for a tethered battery. I think the Phase 645DF is the only camera besides the S2 that offers two shutter options.

Steve you always repeat the same thing about pixels, if a company propose only 60 - 80 - 100 mp they will loose customers

a company will offer some day a MF FF with 40 mp and a decent price and it will be a killer

ptomsu

Workshop Member
On the contrary, there is no question that MP counts will go 60, 80, 100. They're already at 60/80 from Leaf/Mamiya and Phase One. So, not sure why you seem uncertain, but perhaps you're only stating Hasselblad's intentions? In fact, there is no question they will go higher.

I don't know that MP counts will ever get to a million. But in terms of sales figures, there is huge demand for higher megapixels if they're offered. I would say of all our IQ orders, at least 60% are for IQ180.

Perhaps sales figures for Hasselblad reflect more demand for the H4D-40, which is a well priced and versatile kit, and I'm sure outsells the H4D-60 by a wide margin.

Steve Hendrix
Nice for Phase that they are selling so many high MP backs!

Absolutely disagree there is only demand for higher MP counts - 40MP are more than enough to make even largest prints in highest quality. If you cannot do that than something is wrong!

Absolutely agree that there will be MP increases above 80MP - open is what is really needed and also what makes sense even with most advanced optics of any MFD system. I would say 80MP is already asking too much from most of the lenses available today and increasing further lens quality drives the price into regions which makes them too expensive. Also not to forget diffraction - you cannot overcome these physical limitations.

So with current sensor size in MFD the meaningful MP limits are more in the area around 100MP, if one needs higher then that implies larger sensor size.

What would be really needed would be a dramatic price reduction of lower MP backs around 40MP. And I mean really dramatic, not what Phase or Hasselblad is currently offering - something in a price range around $7k!

But good luck anyway selling highest MP count as the only thing to make photographers and clients happy!

David said Dalsa sensor 22 or 33mp were a bad choice for that... pretty strange i never heard someone complaining with this set for architecture... some others think it is one of the best choice for movements on a Techcam, i haven't this DB but it's what i red often when i was searching... not to expensive and not too big files. Moire, hum not convinced... as far as you don't shoot fashion/textiles all times it won't happen often.
This guy use a leaf dalsa 33mp with fashion... he doesn't seem to be disappointed with moire and a lack of details!! http://www.frankdoorhof.com/site/
About the loss of fine details with dalsa 33...!!!??? Yair/Doug... do you confirm :ROTFL:
Please read my post carefully.

I said a Full Frame 22MP sensor would probably be a bad idea. I was not referring to current offerings from Dalsa.

I totally agree with ptomsu , there is a huge market for MF in the range 8000 euros and 36 / 40 mp, but on FF , not on a crop sensor 1.5 or 1.3

Hasselblad has stopped the H3D II 22 :-( with a H4D 30 or 40 they will also sell lenses and HTS

Please read my post carefully.

I said a Full Frame 22MP sensor would probably be a bad idea. I was not referring to current offerings from Dalsa.
not a 22Mp but 34 or 36 will be a great idea

Erick,
One more item to consider is, the battery. I agree with JeromeE. that one who shoots L/A almost always will consider a tech camera at some point. With a Phase 645 DF you can shoot with AF and the choice of leaf or focal plane shutter @ 1/4000 sec. This way you can capture fast sports and high flash synch with appropriate lenses and then swap the DB to any number of tech cameras without the need for a tethered battery. I think the Phase 645DF is the only camera besides the S2 that offers two shutter options.
the batteries of the P45 are a catastrophe :)

thank you Johnny

Last edited:
Erick,

For architecture photography you have to consider that with the blad 28mm + sensor crop 1.3 (or 1.1 with the 39) + HTS, your largest T/S lens would be something like 55mm (or 45mm) equivalent to a 35mm (28mm) for 24x36. You should get info with image circle too.
I understand you don't like very wide lens but as you know, city streets in France are not wide as USA's one and sometimes a 28 or 35 (645) can really help you a lot.
Same for me if could shoot always architecture with 80-110-200 it would be best but it never happen often in Paris ( i don't even talk about interiors ).
If you make your living with this kind of pictures it is something to take care of.
Like you i've made a lot of research to find a set that fit my wishes... sure it's hard because both systems have their qualities ( and a lot of weaknesses :ROTFL: ) but for architecture (for landscape both are quite the same IMO) i think Phase/Leaf products are more useful, you can put them easily on Techcam with no microlens problems or use them with a lot of camera systems. You surely go one day or another for a Techcam because it is simply the best for architecture (for landscape too IMO). You could also stitch easily, even if you decide to choose a 42 Roden. as your largest lens, if you need to go wider. :thumbup:

If you can afford IQ backs they are certainly the best for those both photography categories.
If you haven't red Jack/Guy's (and others) post about these yet... DO! I'd have waited for those if i hadn't bought mine already... as far as you shoot exteriors it seems so powerful and useful.

Hope this help

Nota: Are you ErickB from Chassimages??
Hi Jerome

yes I am on Chassimages, what is your alias on chassimages ?

actually I use a Canon TSE 24 and it is a great lens for architecture, but a 28 will work also for me

merci pour ta longue réponse, j'ai revendu mon H1 et P45 et je voudrais reprendre un MF mais à ce prix je ne veux pas me tromper, bien sur un Alpa est très tentant, as tu Skype ?

yaya

Low-ish res FF 645 sensor is not going to happen...that'll be a step back, technologically wise...
Do you see Canon bringing out a 15MP 24x36 sensor???? Me neither...

you need a certain amount of pixels to print A2 which is big enough for most part of us, not 5 time bigger

20 MP on 24x36 = 40 MP on 48x36

johnnygoesdigital

Erick,

There's no question that sensors will get more resolution, but the quality relates to the lenses ability to resolve it. It seems there's more of a push to market and develop the sensor size (MP) than the lens, IMO. I have personally owned an H4D and IMO, the battery performance is terrible compared to other cameras, this has been mentioned in other reviews too. The amount of time to charge them warrants buying 2 or 3 extra. Phase One DB's require no tethering when used with tech cameras and that itself is why I switched to Phase One.