The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

anyone going for the IQ180 upgrade?

gazwas

Only thing is you've made that screen about twice as large as it really is;-) And it still looks soft in comparison to the preview in C1...
Possibly as I think it depends on your monitor resolution as looked on on mine.

P+ view still looks like mush to me. :)
Far enough! :deadhorse:

I know its not great and its nowhere near IQ quality but I did't think it was that bad.

I'll just shut up then. :eek:

gogopix

Subscriber
please don't!!!

varying opinions and perspective is one of the strengths of fora like this.

regrads
Victor

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
LOL no need to shut up. I agree the P+ is not bad but it still is fuzzy so your still guessing. The IQ there are no doubts. I honestly look forward to folks seeing this as i know i sound a little enthusiastic on it but I would not try to fool anyone on this. Hopefully in two weeks I will have a production unit at Death Valley so i will certainly follow up more. Or at least a newer prototype.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
please don't!!!

varying opinions and perspective is one of the strengths of fora like this.

regrads
Victor
Absolutely! :thumbup: This certainly wasn't meant to be a brow beating, sorry if that's how you felt. :talk028: ;)

Btw, gazwas, thanks for the example - as you mentioned, the screen isn't THAT bad for what it is but it is too small (IMHO) for accurate focus checking. I've been disappointed many times when reviewing a shot only to find that it really was sharp after all once I'd loaded it in C1. Not so much of a problem if you're letting AF do it's thing but much tougher when focusing manually. I promise I'll shut up now :)

tashley

Subscriber Member
I'm to see the latest near-final prototype in the next few days and after a discussion with my dealer (who clearly reads this forum, don't you Lawrence? ;-) I have placed an order...

Lordy I do hope it works as well as I hope!

gazwas

Lordy I do hope it works as well as I hope!
So you went for it in the end! I'm sure it will blow you away when you finally get it.

The jury is still out with me as I can't decide if to got with the IQ140 or a great deal on a P65+ with full frame chip for use on an Arca. :confused:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
2.) The lack of user-replaceable batteries is a serious no-go for my purposes. I travel extensively, and do not always have access to a charger, laptop, or any means of powering the back to continue shooting. Replaceable, high-capacity batteries are thus necessary. This was a serious show-stopper in my eyes.

If the tone of this weren't telling enough, I went with the Leaf from Capture Integration. I will very likely demo the IQ180 in the future, but all things considered, I really do not see myself regretting this decision.
Just for clarification the battery in the Phase One IQ series is housed internally, but is accessible through a standard battery bay door. In other words you can change the battery just as quickly/easily as with a Canon/Nikon.

The reason it's advertised as an "internal battery" which may be where you got confused is to distinguish it from the Phase One P+ series where the battery sat along-side the chasis and therefore was in theory vulnerable to rain/splashes. Granted I can't remember ever having a client have water make it up and inside (since the electrical contacts were on the upper inside part of that slot) and do any damage, but the internal-nature of the battery bay in the new IQ further pushes the envelope of extreme environments that the back will keep trucking in.

The battery does in-fact charge when you're shooting tethered which is a nice bonus.

Either way I think for your needs the Leaf Aptus II 12 represented a better value.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Steve Hendrix

Our experience so far with the IQ180 and the "Retina-type" screen is that for someone who has gotten by using the LCD screens of the best Canon/Nikon LCD's will see an improvement on those, not just in quality, but also in ease of use and speed of feedback. On the prototype units, tap-tap, count 1...2, then 100% instant detailed zoom. No buttons, no menus, nothing, Tap-tap, 1,2, 100%. We've been told the final shipping product will be even faster....

For those who have felt the need to pull a laptop around even when shooting TS Canon lenses, the IQ also offers the ability for practically an iPad tethered experience by virtue of being able to shoot USB to a MacBook Air (2.3 lbs vs 1.3 lbs for iPad-2). So, even tethered location shooters can benefit. Just food for thought...

Steve Hendrix

cng

... the IQ also offers the ability for practically an iPad tethered experience by virtue of being able to shoot USB to a MacBook Air ...Steve Hendrix
Steve, do you know for a fact that a MacBook Air has/should have enough processing grunt to deal with an IQ back, or are you just surmising?

I'm asking because I'm looking at either an IQ160/IQ180, and have always wondered about using a MacBook Air in the way you mentioned. Of course, being able to push files wirelessly from a MFDB to a preview device like an iPad/MacBook Air would be even better.

Joe

I have a P40+ and am considering the IQ140 or the Aptus 12. I would like to hear the experience of comparing the IQ and aptus for focus confirmation in the field, especially on a tech cam. Perhaps Guy's workshop might provide the opportunity for some in-depth pro&con comparisons and "best practice " workflow recommendations for both systems (I hope an Aptus could be available for this.). This could be invaluable decision makig info for those looking at the Iq140, wishing for larger, but financially unable to reach the IQ180.

cly

I would like to hear the experience of comparing the IQ and aptus for focus confirmation in the field, especially on a tech cam.
As far as I know, the focus mask isn't available in the currently installed firmware.

To me, it's not the most important feature in the IQ backs: if it's implemented in a way similar to C1 it will be useless in a fair number of cases. I don't think this a C1 problem, I suppose it's a problem of contrast patterns. I attach a screenshot which shows a typical example (it doesn't get more reliable with different settings for the focus mask). It seems to me that the focus mask is much more useful if you do fashion.

Chris

Steve Hendrix

Steve, do you know for a fact that a MacBook Air has/should have enough processing grunt to deal with an IQ back, or are you just surmising?

I'm asking because I'm looking at either an IQ160/IQ180, and have always wondered about using a MacBook Air in the way you mentioned. Of course, being able to push files wirelessly from a MFDB to a preview device like an iPad/MacBook Air would be even better.

Yes, I believe so. I run Capture One on my 2 year old MacBook Pro. However, my point about the MacBook Air is more for those that are trekking in the wilderness, or architectural shooters, where size/weight may have a priority over processing speed. I could see a landscape shooter easily making use of a MacBook Air.

For a higher volume shoot, say location fashion, I would expect most would opt for a more robust computer. Just pointing out that I feel this would certainly now be an option.

I bought an 11" Mac Air for my wife last Christmas, and it feels like an iPad to me with a nice closing cover and full keyboard.

Steve

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Not too mention we can shoot USB 3 which the Air only has as a connection. Certainly agree it is a viable option. I would just keep the machine as much free space as you can. Get the biggest hard drive and i think OWC does have bigger drives for the Air. Checking now

yaya

I have a P40+ and am considering the IQ140 or the Aptus 12. I would like to hear the experience of comparing the IQ and aptus for focus confirmation in the field, especially on a tech cam. Perhaps Guy's workshop might provide the opportunity for some in-depth pro&con comparisons and "best practice " workflow recommendations for both systems (I hope an Aptus could be available for this.). This could be invaluable decision makig info for those looking at the Iq140, wishing for larger, but financially unable to reach the IQ180.
Word is that you'll have an Aptus-II 12 available there, enjoy!

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Yes, I believe so. I run Capture One on my 2 year old MacBook Pro. However, my point about the MacBook Air is more for those that are trekking in the wilderness, or architectural shooters, where size/weight may have a priority over processing speed. I could see a landscape shooter easily making use of a MacBook Air.

For a higher volume shoot, say location fashion, I would expect most would opt for a more robust computer. Just pointing out that I feel this would certainly now be an option.
I would fully agree with this. Will it be as fast as a 12-core mac pro with a high-end? Absolutely not.

But a MB Air will be an adequate field capture tool for acquisition, organization, editing, and adjustment. USB for tethering to the IQ. Landscape, architecture, interiors, still life (on location), would all do well with such a set up in my opinion. For SURE get the $100 upgrade to 4gb of ram.

I wouldn't want to use it on a production/catalog shoot for processing where it's very common to need to process 3000 images between 8pm one night and 9am the next morning and the speed at which it can be done determines how much sleep you can get.

Indeed the USB option on the IQ opens up a lot of possibilities.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Graham Mitchell

Funny how everyone talks about the IQ180 and not the IQ160. If Phase just made these in a Rollei or Hy6 mount then the IQ160 would be the back for me, with the same 54x40mm sensor size as the IQ180, same screen and features, but very importantly, 1fps compared to the IQ180's 0.7.