Site Sponsors

Thread: anyone going for the IQ180 upgrade?

Post Thanks / Like

anyone going for the IQ180 upgrade?

My dealer has quoted me 10,000 (excl VAT) for an upgrade from my 'as new' P65+ to the IQ 180. The offer has to be taken up by the end of the month but the catch is that there won't be a shipping version of the new back to audition before then.

So the speed of operation, quality of live view (is it good enough for framing, let alone focus) and the issue as to whether the focus mask will show in live view are all relevant points and hard to judge without seeing the final product.

It's a lot of extra cash for an as-yet not fully quantifiable benefit though there will apparently be a 'near final' version available to audition some time next week.

What is everyone else doing?

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: anyone going for the IQ180 upgrade?

I think the answer is pretty simple. Do you upgrade for live view or not? If you do than don't. I bet the live view will be crap compared to "normal CMOS" live view. I would even go so far and say it will be black and white and only in perfect light conditions, pretty similar to the live view in capture one.

So if that is the only reason you are wasting a lot of money.

However, for me it is not about MP, or live view, or any might changes, it is only about the stuff I have actually seen and touched. It was so hard to go back to my P65 the crap screen and hastle in finding perfect focus, this alone is a good reason to upgrade for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Even if live view is crap, focus evaluation from the display will be effective. And any type of live view will assist framing on technical cameras. The screen is very nice and the interface is well thought out.

There are a lot of other features that I like as well.

As to the original question, yes. I ordered the upgrade hours after reading about the new backs.
    wayne
    My gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    My dealer has quoted me 10,000 (excl VAT) for an upgrade from my 'as new' P65+ to the IQ 180. The offer has to be taken up by the end of the month but the catch is that there won't be a shipping version of the new back to audition before then.

Tim
    Interesting. I asked my dealer in the US, Capture Integration, about the upgrade program and was told that there was no hard deadline on it. It would be helpful to clarify this.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm certainly at LEAST doing a lateral. I want the tech no question about it. I have tested it and it is everything I want functionally. Frankly there is nothing else like it
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Fox View Post
    Even if live view is crap, focus evaluation from the display will be effective. And any type of live view will assist framing on technical cameras. The screen is very nice and the interface is well thought out.

There are a lot of other features that I like as well.

As to the original question, yes. I ordered the upgrade hours after reading about the new backs.
    I'm with Wayne, live view is meaningless it is everything else that what I am after. The zoom 100-400 screen is amazing for detail and focus checking and with focus mask if anything like C1 will confirm it immediately on the fly. I know this will be great for tech cams but focus mask and zoom will be extremely effective for shooters like me that need to work fast. Just the zoom feature alone when testing confirmed that for me. The rest is a bonus is how i am looking at it.

I actually may buy a tech cam after I get the IQ than
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, a really useful set of responses... I'm not expecting anything useful from live view either but some early rumours suggested there might be a rabbit in the hat. I guess it comes down to how much better the new screen is at confirming focus: if live view isn't much real use then there are two real questions
    1) how effective is the focus mask in review?
    2) how much easier is it to check focus on the new screen than on the old screen, the answer to which will depend on
    a) speed of processing
    b) speed and ease of interface (number and complexity of keystrokes versus tap-and-slide)
    c) quality of display as means of judging accuracy of focus at 100% zoom.

There's a lot of excitement from tech cam users about being able to use the IQ backs in the field in a way that is game changingly easier than with the existing backs. Like another poster here I am more interested in that aspect of the new backs than in the extra pixel count, but it's hard to unravel sexy from useful at this point without seeing a more finished product... I liked the session I had with the prototype that did the rounds at first and I'm really inclined to do this so let's hope that end of march deadline is indeed not hard and fast!

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

10K is a lot of money for a new screen.

Yes, I'm sold on all the new tech but I still very much have my doubts on how all this will work with a tech/view camera. I mean, how easy will it be to check focus and especially movements on a relatively small 3" screen as I cant with TSE lenses on my Canons. I can still see the need for the notebook to 100% confirm everything and I don't think I could trust it on paying jobs.

And while the P+ screens are not great, they are no worse than the screen on my 1DS3.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    10K is a lot of money for a new screen.

Yes, I'm sold on all the new tech but I still very much have my doubts on how all this will work with a tech/view camera. I mean, how easy will it be to check focus and especially movements on a relatively small 3" screen as I cant with TSE lenses on my Canons. I can still see the need for the notebook to 100% confirm everything and I don't think I could trust it on paying jobs.

And while the P+ screens are not great, they are no worse than the screen on my 1DS3.
    Yeah, as you and I have discussed on Lula, the big question will be, "Are the functions associated with the IQ good enough and convenient enough to replace the ground glass?" When people refer to a "game changer," I think that is what they are often talking about.

It needs to have equal or better focus accuracy relative to GG (which of course depends on the user). If it is more convenient, then that will be an added plus, but my guess is most tech camera users will choose quality over convenience.

But regardless, these new features will be added tools in the kit for accurate focusing and other tasks. The value of that will as always be user-specific.

For me, I'm not lucky enough to have a back to trade in. So I'm going to have to climb the ladder and take the high-dive.

Dave

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I find the LCD on my Leaf back infinitely better than the P+ screen for image review. The P+ suffers the same flaw as my M9 in that it renders mush even when you zoom in. I find them useful for basic exposure via histogram and framing check upon review. I'm most interested in how the new screen works in the field under bright ambient conditions as this is where they all seem to fail to deliver IMHO.

Like everyone else I'm most interested in the potential game changing solution for use on a tech cam. If the focus check works as expected then this will be a big advantage of the IQ. Ditto the more accurate & clearer zoom review.

Quote Originally Posted by dchew View Post
    Yeah, as you and I have discussed on Lula, the big question will be, "Are the functions associated with the IQ good enough and convenient enough to replace the ground glass?" When people refer to a "game changer," I think that is what they are often talking about.

It needs to have equal or better focus accuracy relative to GG (which of course depends on the user). If it is more convenient, then that will be an added plus, but my guess is most tech camera users will choose quality over convenience.

Dave
    I have pretty decent eyesight but I find focusing with the GG at 645 size to be very difficult and inaccurate compared to traditional 4x5. I don't bother any more and prefer to set focus based on either zone or measurement. If the IQ can make this review better then it will be a triumph of both accuracy and convenience for people like me at least.

It took me a week of reviewing the hype before I decided to place my order, albeit for a lowly IQ140
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

I was in the exact same position, actually. I was quoted right around $15,000 USD to upgrade from a P65+ to an IQ180. I think, of all of the features, the focus mask is the one that really gives me pause. Currently, I'm using both a Brightscreen Accurfocus loupe and a Brightscreen diagonal split Fresnel focusing screen. Generally speaking, I can nail focus pretty well, even when it's dark, but that extra bit of reassurance of the focus mask would be enthusiastically welcomed.

The best we can do with Live View is postulate. However, as it's not been demonstrated, I tend to side with the less-enthusiastic crowd. In my mind, it stands to reason that, if it were working well, and doing exactly what everyone wants, Phase wouldn't be tight-lipped about it at all. Maybe I just don't understand marketing.

Two factors eventually swayed me from upgrading to the next Phase offering:

1.) The upgrade price to the IQ180, even with an "as new" P65+ as a trade-in feels very high to me. To be more specific, I was faced with the following: upgrade to an Aptus II 12 for a little over $5k, or an IQ180 for $15k.

2.) The lack of user-replaceable batteries is a serious no-go for my purposes. I travel extensively, and do not always have access to a charger, laptop, or any means of powering the back to continue shooting. Replaceable, high-capacity batteries are thus necessary. This was a serious show-stopper in my eyes.

If the tone of this weren't telling enough, I went with the Leaf from Capture Integration. I will very likely demo the IQ180 in the future, but all things considered, I really do not see myself regretting this decision.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    I find the LCD on my Leaf back infinitely better than the P+ screen for image review
    I have to agree and IMBO the preview on the Aptus screen is the only one I can trust for focus check. AFAIK this is the only camera that shows a real 100% crop taken from the RAW data with/ without sharpening and not off of a random size JPEG/ TIFF.
    The Aptus-II screen is a little better outdoors compared to the older models, it's a bit brighter with higher contrast and saturation.

The low-ish resolution of the screen actually helps as it makes that preview fairly large. For example on the IQ180 you have to zoom to 400% to get roughly the same size preview as on the Aptus-II 12 at 100%

Yair
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    I have to agree and IMBO the preview on the Aptus screen is the only one I can trust for focus check. AFAIK this is the only camera that shows a real 100% crop taken from the RAW data with/ without sharpening and not off of a random size JPEG/ TIFF.
    The Aptus-II screen is a little better outdoors compared to the older models, it's a bit brighter with higher contrast and saturation.

The low-ish resolution of the screen actually helps as it makes that preview fairly large. For example on the IQ180 you have to zoom to 400% to get roughly the same size preview as on the Aptus-II 12 at 100%

Yair
    Can't say I agree with you there Yair. The Aptus screen is just as capable at rendering fine detail (focus) as the other similar digital backs. The IQ screens with their high pixels count and excellent quality (iPhone style) has the edge by a long way and for straight forward focus check they had no rival.

My concern is however not the quality but the size of the screen (3.2") for checking not just focus but tilts, swings etc and hence my doubts for the OP shelling out 10K on something nobody has seen in action yet. Like I said doing this with a quality live view experience on a Canon and TSE lenses is very difficult to judge and always ends up with final checks on a laptop. And if you still need the laptop then why bother.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yair,

I confess that if I found a comparable deal for an Aptus-II 10 then I could be terribly tempted to go that way vs IQ140 ... I realize that's heretical talk here at the moment

At least the list price difference for this change is relatively similar - I'd hate to be looking at the justification of the bigger differences between Aptus II 12 & IQ180 ... you folks have my sympathy in working that brain (image quality & $$$ less) vs heart (new features) equation. Easier for some folks than others I suspect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Can't say I agree with you there Yair. The Aptus screen is just as capable at rendering fine detail (focus) as the other similar digital backs. The IQ screens with their high pixels count and excellent quality (iPhone style) has the edge by a long way and for straight forward focus check they had no rival.
    I think we must have different experiences with Aptus & other backs then - I suspect that we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I have an Aptus 65 & P40+ and there most certainly is a very visible difference when I look at mine and I'm pretty certain that there's nothing special about my gear ... and that's with the previous generation Aptus screen too.

I would certainly agree that the promise of the IQ display should be a step up overall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Maybe this can illustrate what I mean

I always find relatively good correlation between what I see on the Aptus display to what I seen on my laptop in terms of detail and sharpness

Yair

Post Thanks / Like

And for some balance....
    Last edited by gazwas; 11th August 2011 at 23:52.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

well that zoom 3 just does not cut it. Wait till you see the IQ it puts it to shame even at 100 percent never mind 400. Jack and I did do a preproduction review on the IQ 180

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23200

In the video you can clearly see the detail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GYKfT0jvec

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    well that zoom 3 just does not cut it. Wait till you see the IQ it puts it to shame even at 100 percent never mind 400. Jack and I did do a preproduction review on the IQ 180

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23200

In the video you can clearly see the detail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GYKfT0jvec
    Guy,
    Thanks for the verification on the screen. I too have been disappointed in zoom 3 on P65+, so much that focus check has been misleading (if GG looks ok, p+screen is fuzzy)

What I have found is that features from Phase may take a while (remember Sensor+? You actually needed to send back back.)..but they eventually come through. I would assume same with LV and Focus mask. With all the "speculation" I think Phase would have disabused us if it were not being worked on. Also, my experience with CMOS LV is that there is some smearing...making it difficult in a changing scene anyway. And Videos? they are too slow a shutter speed.

At 3 fps focus, except for sport, will be just fine. Crossing my fingers but an IQ1x0 on an Alpa TC will be a godsend.

regards
    Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And for some balance....
    Only thing is you've made that screen about twice as large as it really is;-) And it still looks soft in comparison to the preview in C1...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

P+ view still looks like mush to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    Only thing is you've made that screen about twice as large as it really is;-) And it still looks soft in comparison to the preview in C1...
    Possibly as I think it depends on your monitor resolution as looked on on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    P+ view still looks like mush to me.
    Far enough!

I know its not great and its nowhere near IQ quality but I did't think it was that bad.

I'll just shut up then.

Post Thanks / Like

please don't!!!

varying opinions and perspective is one of the strengths of fora like this.

regrads
    Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LOL no need to shut up. I agree the P+ is not bad but it still is fuzzy so your still guessing. The IQ there are no doubts. I honestly look forward to folks seeing this as i know i sound a little enthusiastic on it but I would not try to fool anyone on this. Hopefully in two weeks I will have a production unit at Death Valley so i will certainly follow up more. Or at least a newer prototype.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gogopix View Post
    please don't!!!

regrads
    Victor
    Totally agree.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gogopix View Post
    please don't!!!

regrads
    Victor
    Absolutely! This certainly wasn't meant to be a brow beating, sorry if that's how you felt.

Btw, gazwas, thanks for the example - as you mentioned, the screen isn't THAT bad for what it is but it is too small (IMHO) for accurate focus checking. I've been disappointed many times when reviewing a shot only to find that it really was sharp after all once I'd loaded it in C1. Not so much of a problem if you're letting AF do it's thing but much tougher when focusing manually. I promise I'll shut up now

Post Thanks / Like

I'm to see the latest near-final prototype in the next few days and after a discussion with my dealer (who clearly reads this forum, don't you Lawrence? ;-) I have placed an order...

Lordy I do hope it works as well as I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Lordy I do hope it works as well as I hope!
    So you went for it in the end! I'm sure it will blow you away when you finally get it.

The jury is still out with me as I can't decide if to got with the IQ140 or a great deal on a P65+ with full frame chip for use on an Arca.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by coulombic View Post
    2.) The lack of user-replaceable batteries is a serious no-go for my purposes. I travel extensively, and do not always have access to a charger, laptop, or any means of powering the back to continue shooting. Replaceable, high-capacity batteries are thus necessary. This was a serious show-stopper in my eyes.

If the tone of this weren't telling enough, I went with the Leaf from Capture Integration. I will very likely demo the IQ180 in the future, but all things considered, I really do not see myself regretting this decision.
    Just for clarification the battery in the Phase One IQ series is housed internally, but is accessible through a standard battery bay door. In other words you can change the battery just as quickly/easily as with a Canon/Nikon.

The reason it's advertised as an "internal battery" which may be where you got confused is to distinguish it from the Phase One P+ series where the battery sat along-side the chasis and therefore was in theory vulnerable to rain/splashes. Granted I can't remember ever having a client have water make it up and inside (since the electrical contacts were on the upper inside part of that slot) and do any damage, but the internal-nature of the battery bay in the new IQ further pushes the envelope of extreme environments that the back will keep trucking in.

The battery does in-fact charge when you're shooting tethered which is a nice bonus.

Either way I think for your needs the Leaf Aptus II 12 represented a better value.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
    Phase One Partner of the Year
    Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
    Newsletter | RSS Feed
    Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Our experience so far with the IQ180 and the "Retina-type" screen is that for someone who has gotten by using the LCD screens of the best Canon/Nikon LCD's will see an improvement on those, not just in quality, but also in ease of use and speed of feedback. On the prototype units, tap-tap, count 1...2, then 100% instant detailed zoom. No buttons, no menus, nothing, Tap-tap, 1,2, 100%. We've been told the final shipping product will be even faster....

For those who have felt the need to pull a laptop around even when shooting TS Canon lenses, the IQ also offers the ability for practically an iPad tethered experience by virtue of being able to shoot USB to a MacBook Air (2.3 lbs vs 1.3 lbs for iPad-2). So, even tethered location shooters can benefit. Just food for thought...

Steve Hendrix
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar Authorized Reseller

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix View Post
    ... the IQ also offers the ability for practically an iPad tethered experience by virtue of being able to shoot USB to a MacBook Air ...Steve Hendrix
    Steve, do you know for a fact that a MacBook Air has/should have enough processing grunt to deal with an IQ back, or are you just surmising?

I'm asking because I'm looking at either an IQ160/IQ180, and have always wondered about using a MacBook Air in the way you mentioned. Of course, being able to push files wirelessly from a MFDB to a preview device like an iPad/MacBook Air would be even better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I fell victim to the siren call.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

I have a P40+ and am considering the IQ140 or the Aptus 12. I would like to hear the experience of comparing the IQ and aptus for focus confirmation in the field, especially on a tech cam. Perhaps Guy's workshop might provide the opportunity for some in-depth pro&con comparisons and "best practice " workflow recommendations for both systems (I hope an Aptus could be available for this.). This could be invaluable decision makig info for those looking at the Iq140, wishing for larger, but financially unable to reach the IQ180.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I would like to hear the experience of comparing the IQ and aptus for focus confirmation in the field, especially on a tech cam.
    As far as I know, the focus mask isn't available in the currently installed firmware.

To me, it's not the most important feature in the IQ backs: if it's implemented in a way similar to C1 it will be useless in a fair number of cases. I don't think this a C1 problem, I suppose it's a problem of contrast patterns. I attach a screenshot which shows a typical example (it doesn't get more reliable with different settings for the focus mask). It seems to me that the focus mask is much more useful if you do fashion.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cng View Post
    Steve, do you know for a fact that a MacBook Air has/should have enough processing grunt to deal with an IQ back, or are you just surmising?

I'm asking because I'm looking at either an IQ160/IQ180, and have always wondered about using a MacBook Air in the way you mentioned. Of course, being able to push files wirelessly from a MFDB to a preview device like an iPad/MacBook Air would be even better.

Yes, I believe so. I run Capture One on my 2 year old MacBook Pro. However, my point about the MacBook Air is more for those that are trekking in the wilderness, or architectural shooters, where size/weight may have a priority over processing speed. I could see a landscape shooter easily making use of a MacBook Air.

For a higher volume shoot, say location fashion, I would expect most would opt for a more robust computer. Just pointing out that I feel this would certainly now be an option.

I bought an 11" Mac Air for my wife last Christmas, and it feels like an iPad to me with a nice closing cover and full keyboard.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not too mention we can shoot USB 3 which the Air only has as a connection. Certainly agree it is a viable option. I would just keep the machine as much free space as you can. Get the biggest hard drive and i think OWC does have bigger drives for the Air. Checking now

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh yea throttle junkies they do in a big way too

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Express

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I have a P40+ and am considering the IQ140 or the Aptus 12. I would like to hear the experience of comparing the IQ and aptus for focus confirmation in the field, especially on a tech cam. Perhaps Guy's workshop might provide the opportunity for some in-depth pro&con comparisons and "best practice " workflow recommendations for both systems (I hope an Aptus could be available for this.). This could be invaluable decision makig info for those looking at the Iq140, wishing for larger, but financially unable to reach the IQ180.
    Word is that you'll have an Aptus-II 12 available there, enjoy!

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix View Post
    Yes, I believe so. I run Capture One on my 2 year old MacBook Pro. However, my point about the MacBook Air is more for those that are trekking in the wilderness, or architectural shooters, where size/weight may have a priority over processing speed. I could see a landscape shooter easily making use of a MacBook Air.

For a higher volume shoot, say location fashion, I would expect most would opt for a more robust computer. Just pointing out that I feel this would certainly now be an option.
    I would fully agree with this. Will it be as fast as a 12-core mac pro with a high-end? Absolutely not.

But a MB Air will be an adequate field capture tool for acquisition, organization, editing, and adjustment. USB for tethering to the IQ. Landscape, architecture, interiors, still life (on location), would all do well with such a set up in my opinion. For SURE get the $100 upgrade to 4gb of ram.

I wouldn't want to use it on a production/catalog shoot for processing where it's very common to need to process 3000 images between 8pm one night and 9am the next morning and the speed at which it can be done determines how much sleep you can get.

Indeed the USB option on the IQ opens up a lot of possibilities.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
    Phase One Partner of the Year
    Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
    Newsletter | RSS Feed
    Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Post Thanks / Like

Funny how everyone talks about the IQ180 and not the IQ160. If Phase just made these in a Rollei or Hy6 mount then the IQ160 would be the back for me, with the same 54x40mm sensor size as the IQ180, same screen and features, but very importantly, 1fps compared to the IQ180's 0.7.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well they are different sensors. The IQ 180 being the latest tech witch I think a 5.4 instead of a 6

One thing you may not have noticed the upgrade path favors the IQ 180 a little better and for most current Phase users they have a P65+ so it would be a lateral not a upgrade. If i was a P65 it would be the IQ 180 path as it is I think a 6k difference between a IQ 160 Vs a IQ 180. So you kind of are given a choice there but it tends to favor the IQ 180.

But yes I agree the P65 sensor in the IQ 160 is very nice and very similar to its newer brother. Personally just can't swing the big upgrades from the P40+ so I will just go lateral for the tech of the IQ 140. The crop factor does not bother me much except in the finder and hopefully when the new body does come out the crop will not show in the finder. But that maybe a stretch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For you Graham knowing your lenses the game has changed for Phase users with the Schneider glass now. I bought all three 55,80 and 110mm LS glass and to ME I love the look from these lenses and I'm a little giddy about that. It did change the game for the better. Not a area of concern which really only leaves the body to be improved next and Phase continues with more LS lenses. So things are looking up. Great backs, software, lenses. The DF is much better than previous stuff and when the new body does finally come out it should get much better and hopefully have more functions like a WL finder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    Funny how everyone talks about the IQ180 and not the IQ160. If Phase just made these in a Rollei or Hy6 mount then the IQ160 would be the back for me, with the same 54x40mm sensor size as the IQ180, same screen and features, but very importantly, 1fps compared to the IQ180's 0.7.

Yes, it is strange to me that we haven't had more IQ160 orders. Even when discussing products with clients who would value the faster capture rate, the majority have gone for the IQ180. Factors that seem to have held sway are the higher resolution (not just full rez, but the 20MP Sensor Plus vs 15MP Sensor Plus), the fact it is newer technology, and the price difference is modest.

Brand new, the difference between IQ160 and IQ180 is $7,000. But if you're trading from a P45+ for example, then the difference is only $4,270. And most of our transactions have been upgrades.

Steve Hendrix