The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

H4D 31 dust on sensor

D

drmytan

Found dusts on my image even after the CCD sensor was blowed and cleaned up and no change of lens. Called the local supplier and told it's common issue as dust might get in through the minor leaks. And advised me to open the digital back and blow each day! I somehow can't accept the explanation. I am new to the MF camera. This has annoyed me so much. Thanks for help

Dustbak

Yes, this is normal. No problem whatsoever. It is easy to take off the back. Take off the viewfinder, below that in the center push the black button forward (towards the lens mount) and push the button on the side (left) in and rotate slightly backward. Now the back can be taken off.

Blow off the sensor and if necessary wipe it with something like a pec-pad and eclipse fluid.

Amazing this hasn't been explained or shown to you by your dealer. This is nothing to be annoyed about, normal thing and actually it is much easier to clean your MF equipment than a 35mm DSLR.

I use my MF stuff daily but find it unnecessary to clean it everyday. I do so the moment I see spots. Regularly but certainly not daily.

johnnygoesdigital

Found dusts on my image even after the CCD sensor was blowed and cleaned up and no change of lens. Called the local supplier and told it's common issue as dust might get in through the minor leaks. And advised me to open the digital back and blow each day! I somehow can't accept the explanation. I am new to the MF camera. This has annoyed me so much. Thanks for help
Make sure you ground yourself and power is off, as there's an electrical charge on the sensor that pulls dust in. Static electricity should be discharged before cleaning any camera. As a previous owner of an H4D, I found this camera to be more prone to sensor dust than any other camera, perhaps because there's more places for dust to enter. Also clean the viewfinder and remove ground glass for cleaning too. Use a hand blower brush when possible and watch the tip of blower brush on sensor! Although, I would only recommend cleaning the sensor with a Pec - Pad if there's actual spots that aren't removed with a blower brush and ONLY use one side of a Pec pad per swipe. otherwise you'll be dragging dust over the sensor.

jlm

Workshop Member
that big mirror flopping around stirs up the dust, so clean the mirror chamber as well

T

tetsrfun

The Visibledust sensor loop is also quite useful. It's one of those things that I would see the ad and say "Who would be dumb enough to buy that" and now I think that it is really helpful.

Steve

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
We should mention that the MFDBs are the easiest of all the sensors out there to clean as you are not reaching into a deep recess to access the sensor and cover.

Remember, dust in the form of silica particles is harder than the cover and will scratch it if you put enough pressure on the pad when cleaning. So first attempt to blow off any large particles before you attempt wet cleaning.

All of the Visible Dust products are well designed...their hand blower is one of the few filtered blowers that minimizes condensation. I have used the brushes for years with moderate success ... usually need to use sensor cleaning fluid to finish but it is so fast and easy on a back.

It is much better than spotting scanned film.

Bob

David Schneider

One thing that surprised me when I added H3d2-39 was how much dust gets on the sensor. Like others, I see no need to clean every day, but it does seem to need a sensor air blow more than my dslrs.